Melbourne Football

Ange Postecoglou Rumour

Ticker

I find it hard to believe this article...

1, because the figures are wrong (JvS was on $550,000 and we will NOT make a $3.2m loss.),

2, he has a pretty lucrative contract with the Tahir group,

And, 3, because I feel Ange probably still has a sour taste in his mouth after we overlooked him in 2009.

Edit: does this really need it's own thread...?

Edited by LR9

Ange still isn't flexible enough as a coach of Roar. Tactical flexibility is one of the important aspects of our game that JVS has really pioneered in the hAL and this should really be one of the things we look for in a coach. I think that the more credible part of the article is the bit where Scott Munn says we will be looking within Australia for a coach.

• Like 2

1, because the figures are wrong (JvS was on $550,000 and we will NOT make a $3.2m loss.),

And, 3, because I feel Ange probably still has a sour taste in his mouth after we overlooked him in 2009.

Exactly! You get the feeling that there seems to be alot of Greeks involved in australian football, and not for the correct reasons, but we seem to be bringing ALOT of little greek players which arent up to scratch into the league. Lets have a look at the greek economy,lets not have the a league end up the same way.

Ange still isn't flexible enough as a coach of Roar. Tactical flexibility is one of the important aspects of our game that JVS has really pioneered in the hAL and this should really be one of the things we look for in a coach. I think that the more credible part of the article is the bit where Scott Munn says we will be looking within Australia for a coach.

ROFL – So basically you are saying a guy capable of guiding a side to First Position and a Championship would be a poor replacement for one who has yet to have booked his side into a finals series 3/5 times make it.

Can ppl on here please perhaps now he has decided to ditch us stop praising JVS???

They guy got seriously over paid to lead his side to hopefully scrape into the finals for one of his years.

I also reckon we would probably have a home final stitched up – if he had not decided to announce to his players he does not want to stick around for them Mid Season prior to a Derby.

Is only half bloody obvious why he is leaving?

It’s because his new deal would be half the money his getting currently and he might have to dig into his own funds to afford his Brighton lifestyle.

But at least he has left us having to pay Williams for another two seasons whilst he lumbers around in the NYL, and I praise him for resigning Hoffman because we really needed to pay that hack for another season.

• Like 1

I can tell you that Ange hasn't even signed a contract with those indonesian owners yet

This isn't the only article reporting this, it was in the herald sun this morning that "Ange had supposedly already agreed to a contract with the club"

I'd love to have him as coach, would sign the right players, and Babalj will be top scorer in the league next season

As always, lots of good points. A few harsh words here and there, but I share the sentiments. I really do think it's time people took off the rose-coloured spectacles about JvS, and indeed certain players. In the end football is about winning games, and we haven't won enough. I admire JvS for his attributes, I'm sorry he's decided to leave, but the facts are he did not deliver enough and he has quit before what he's allegedly done has had time to come to fruition (or not as the case will be).

Would have thought Ange would be ideal for us at this particular moment in our history. We play in the A-League, and a glance at the table suggests that even with his 'inflexibility' he's done pretty well.

Edited by jw1739

I can tell you that Ange hasn't even signed a contract with those indonesian owners yet.

Although he has, he got a pay rise when they came in.

Edit: Ivan Franjic anyone?

(Inb4 idiots say we already have a RB, he is more then just that)

Edited by LR9

ROFL – So basically you are saying a guy capable of guiding a side to First Position and a Championship would be a poor replacement for one who has yet to have booked his side into a finals series 3/5 times make it.

I think Ange would be great for us. But it's not a stretch to say that JVS is a better tactician. The fact that Brisbane haven't beaten us this year would support that. Of all the options, I'd still keep JVS for another season if we could. We've narrowed the gap between us and the top sides this year, and I think we should improve again next year. That's why I don't mind the continuity of promoting someone from within the club. But I think Ange would be very good if available.

Well, whoever it is, I hope that it's finalised sooner rather than later. If the articles are quoting Scott Munn accurately, the new man is going to come from Australia, and we know that Aloisi and Milicic have applied. Can't help wondering whether we got the process timetable right - seems that the club has been in limbo ever since JvS pulled the pin on us, and that's impacting on who we release/re-sign and our willingness/ability to sign new players that are available to us for next season.

So based on that article and the words of Scott Munn ....

Heart chief executive Scott Munn said his club was not looking at new coaching options at this stage, although he was full of praise for what Postecoglou had achieved.

"I was in Albury until 11am today, so unless something has happened in the last 48 hours then that situation (regarding Postecoglou) is news to me," Munn said.

"We have made it pretty clear that our intention is to appoint (a coach) from within and we see John (Aloisi) and Ante (Milicic) as coaches in waiting.

"We have also said we want to see what is available in Australia and that we won't be involved in a worldwide search for a coach.

"We will look at the options as soon as the season finishes but our focus now is on making the finals."

... if it isnt Ange, then it will most probably be JA or AM ...

Can ppl on here please perhaps now he has decided to ditch us stop praising JVS???

They guy got seriously over paid to lead his side to hopefully scrape into the finals for one of his years.

I also reckon we would probably have a home final stitched up – if he had not decided to announce to his players he does not want to stick around for them Mid Season prior to a Derby.

Is only half bloody obvious why he is leaving?

It’s because his new deal would be half the money his getting currently and he might have to dig into his own funds to afford his Brighton lifestyle.

But at least he has left us having to pay Williams for another two seasons whilst he lumbers around in the NYL, and I praise him for resigning Hoffman because we really needed to pay that hack for another season.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Ange has Roar playing good football and it has been very successful. Barca can afford to play the same way against every team (although they do change formation) because of the quality of the players that they have. few teams have been able to counter them on quality and tactics including Real. Roar was in that position last season and they steam-rolled the league. This season we have seen some teams match or better Roar with tactical play, including both Sysney and in particular, us. ange didn't change his tactics to suit the opponent and they've been less successful this season. They ran up against a brich wall called Tokyo FC and despite it being clear at half time that Tokyo were a 'better Roar than Roar', Ange still didin't adapt.

What Ange has dome well is introduce a system to the HAL. This suddenly made doofus coaches like Emo Merrick look like yesterday's men & the league has made big strides in the last 2 seasons as a result. The next leap is not only playing systems but tactical flexibility and there's no evidence that ange offers this, so in fact we'd be giving it up to take him on as coach.

Remember we don't want a coach who won last season or even this season, we want the coach who will win next season!

JVS wasn't just paid to coach the team, he was also paid to establish a club culture and bring the benefits of the AJAX youth training methods to the club. He has done very well with this, and arguably this will be his greater contribution in the long term.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

IMO i don't think it would be wise to appoint Milicic as head coach with Aloisi as assistant. Milicic is still learning, and if the club was to appoint him as senior coach they should be looking to appoint an experienced person as his assistant to help him along the way. There's no use in appointing an amateur as his assistant, because in stressful/new situations, Aloisi would not be the greatest of 'assistance' and we could find ourselved in a bit of trouble.

After a bad start to this season, JVS was able to calm the situation and get things back on track, and when we went 8 matches without a win, JVS has been able to again finally put us in the right direction. It's a very important skill to have given the fact that we have so many young players, where they need an experienced figure to put them in the right direction. Milicic may be able to do that, we don't know, but i definitely believe that in the next couple of seasons, given we are wise in the players that we sign, we can really win something and be successful with the squad that we have. To be safe i'd rather sign a coach with proven success like Ange, and maximise the chance of becoming successful in the next 2 season. We have a good core group of players at the moment which are very similar to brisbane's if not better in various areas, and the philosophies are again very similar so the transition from brisbane to melbourne shouldn't be too different at all.