Melbourne Football

Transfers

malloy

I think being a 'new' club you have to pay a little over the odds to get players to begin with. The same thing is happening in other codes. The club hasn't resigned him (Shroj) at the same wage and won't. I'd like to think we are nicely positioned to keep recruiting the best from the AIS and continue developing and selling them on. Hopefully we will see many of these players return in the future and give us a return of service in their later years.

It seems reasonable to expect we will sign 2 overseas strikers as mentioned previously and I assume one will be bad (the a leagues strike rate with foreign players isn't that good) so surely there will be space for a young striker in the squad too.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, this is brought about by the agreement the FFA has with the Professional Footballers Association. The minimum total wages paid to the 23-member A-League squad must be not less than 85% of the salary cap.

i would hope that our club does not pay one cent above the 85% minimum. I believe the 85% is still far too much.

When you take all this into account it's no wonder why vpl players are paid soo much. Adding to that its no wonder half the vpl clubs are broke. The "examples" set by the a-league should not flow down to lower leagues. i'm amazed at how much players in state league 3 are paid.

I think being a 'new' club you have to pay a little over the odds to get players to begin with.

That's a good point. To lure good experienced A League players as a start up club, you need to offer them more than what they can get at their own clubs. Colosimo, Bolton, Thompson, Shroj, Beachaump, and Heffernan were all recruited because of their experience, and we probably needed to offer very good deals to get them across. (Shroj will probably get paid over the odds by WSW now. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. A pretty average A League player getting big contracts from new clubs because they need the experience.)

As those players retire or get released, it's more a case of recruiting and developing our young players, and spending more on internationals or Australians returning from overseas. I can only think of Dugandzic and Redmayne as players we've recruited from other A League clubs since year one, and they're both young and cheap in comparison.

There's Williams and possibly Gol Gol as well, but they're both from clubs that have folded anyway.

Edited by Sash

I am not sure our players are over payed considering what footballers around the world earn. Look at the number of players heading to Asia, Japan and Korea, the Midle East etc. We have to compete on lifestyle as well as pay a wage which will stop players going to some back water for $$$$$$$$$.

The reason I see clubs from the A-League, VPL and state leagues struggling for a dollar is the lack of supporters, advertising, sponsors and media coverage. Player wages are reasonable but there is not enough money comming in. If more money was comming in clubs would be able to attract better players and they would command higher wages. A few years ago Italy was the big payer. Now it is England. The best players flock to where the best competition is, which is usually where the money is.

If we want to attract the best players possible we need to have other quality players around. As the worker is worth his wages, we need to pay our players well.

Player wages are reasonable but there is not enough money comming in.

Therefore player wagers are not reasonable.

What's reasonable about clubs loosing money?

I would be peeved if we record another big financial loss at the expense of paying players 4 times their worth.

Therefore player wagers are not reasonable.

What's reasonable about clubs loosing money?

I would be peeved if we record another big financial loss at the expense of paying players 4 times their worth.

Clubs are loosing money because of competition in the market place and a lack of interest from the public and the media who get their support from the AFL, ARL etc.

Yes clubs need to make money, players however like the rest of us have a responsiblilty to feed their families. If they cannot do it being full time footballers in Australia they will either go overseas or work in another field. You can earn more money than what our lesser payed players get doing a wide number of jobs. Our better(at least in theory), higher payed players are not earning what they can elsewhere but as Patrick Gerhardt said in his interview, the lifestyle in Australia is better than "living" in a hotel.

If football is going to improve, starving our players is not the way to do it.

We need to make the game more attractive and increase the exposure and support for the game which has the highest participation rate of any single sport in the country, popular with both sexes. Why is it the people that play football spend their spectator dollars on the likes of AFL?

People want to watch the best. When you can watch Barca, Man U, Byern Munich, Real Madrid etc. on the telly, what is the attraction of watching our blokes unable to put the ball in the back of the net. Last season we brought a number of people to games and they didn't want to come back as the standard was poor. They saw the A-League as a waste of time. If they came back (and hopefully they will again one day) it would help pay wages, allow for higher quality players and improve the standard which would lead to better exposure and more dollars.

Look at Japan and Korea.They have a higher quality of player as there is simply more money invested in the game and people come to watch and support the clubs.

We need to pay our players what they are worth, and yes we also need to balance the books and even make money for future investment in the club/game.

Clubs are loosing money because of competition in the market place and a lack of interest from the public and the media who get their support from the AFL, ARL etc.

Yes clubs need to make money, players however like the rest of us have a responsiblilty to feed their families. If they cannot do it being full time footballers in Australia they will either go overseas or work in another field. You can earn more money than what our lesser payed players get doing a wide number of jobs. Our better(at least in theory), higher payed players are not earning what they can elsewhere but as Patrick Gerhardt said in his interview, the lifestyle in Australia is better than "living" in a hotel.

If football is going to improve, starving our players is not the way to do it.

We need to make the game more attractive and increase the exposure and support for the game which has the highest participation rate of any single sport in the country, popular with both sexes. Why is it the people that play football spend their spectator dollars on the likes of AFL?

People want to watch the best. When you can watch Barca, Man U, Byern Munich, Real Madrid etc. on the telly, what is the attraction of watching our blokes unable to put the ball in the back of the net. Last season we brought a number of people to games and they didn't want to come back as the standard was poor. They saw the A-League as a waste of time. If they came back (and hopefully they will again one day) it would help pay wages, allow for higher quality players and improve the standard which would lead to better exposure and more dollars.

Look at Japan and Korea.They have a higher quality of player as there is simply more money invested in the game and people come to watch and support the clubs.

We need to pay our players what they are worth, and yes we also need to balance the books and even make money for future investment in the club/game.

So in summary the A-league needs to get better ? i think all that goes without saying mate

Apparently we were in talks with inzaghi, that would have been the perfect signing, exactly the player we need, would deliver bags of goals, well known, tremendous experience, and might have got some italians through the gates.

Now Weat Sydney are in for him.

as good as inzaghi would have been, i still think we need to be looking for a striker who would give us more than just 1 season otherwise the same time next year we'll have the same problems and we'll be searching again. IMO we need to try and find someone like berisha who is quality and could potentially give the club 3-4 seasons of service.

http://au.fourfourtw...eave-china.aspx

so do you think Sterjovski would be a good signing for one of our attacking roles?

Wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Was an "Australian marquee" reportedly on $600,000 at Perth, and spent half the time in the NYL.

Overall, I just can't get a handle on what we're trying to do with our squad for next season and beyond. On the one hand we seem to be missing out on young talent such as Goodwin and Halloran for the sake of probably a few thousand dollars, whilst on the other hand we're being reported as being in talks with or speaking to players who we know will ask hundreds of thousands for just one season.

Edited by jw1739

I think Christian7 might still be in with a chance of getting a 'prediction' right...

Colosimo could be a slight chance to go to MV now, with Kewell walking out, etc. There arn't many other quality Aussie CB targets that would head to MV and even less options to replace 'Arry. Mongs were going to use their last foreigner spot to sign an experienced CB, but they will surely use it on a forward now.

However, Colosimo seams happy enough to stay now, and we need him to play a big role this season.

Anyone else remember when Christian7 said we had signed Grella, Hernandez and Charisteas and were just waiting to make the announcement? Good times.

Give him credit.

He was half right.

We're still waiting for the announcement.

Pretty much any announcement come to think of it...

• Like 2

Saw that on 442. The club's denying it. We can only hope, he would be amazing.

Edit: to clarify, his club is denying it, nothing from the heart in the article

Edited by Jake

Bresh apparently has sent a letter through his Lawyer to his club to get his contract terminated..

he couldn't could he?

I refuse to acknowledge anything this exciting as a possibility without a very solid source.

Edited by Jimmy

Bring in Sterjovski 1 yr deal sink or swim, give us that goal scoring prowess up front

Last time he was a genuine regular threat in front of goal was back in the NSL days in the late 90's. Nowadays he's a washed up middle of the road A-League player, and that's being generous.

• Like 1

The gypsy magics is starting.

Well played sir, well played indeed.

Jimmy has summed it up well in his above post. This shit leads to a depressive like state when the fantasy doesn't become reality.

Does seem to have a sense of inevitability that he eventually lands here but of course the sooner the better.