Melbourne Football

Transfers

malloy

It was def a deflection - I remember checking the replay to see for sure at the game.

And I cannot even bother explaining how pointless a season would be if our CF options consisted of Williams and Hoff.

Of couse JA and JD know this - I just hope their solution is one that works.

wasnt the shot going wide until the deflection. cant really remember tbh

IMO, the ideal squad this season would have been:

GK's: Bolton, Redmayne

RB: Marrone

CB: Madaschi, Colosimo, Hamill, Good

LB: Behich, Goodwin

DM: Gerhardt, Germano, Thompson

AM: Fred, new AM, Kalmar

RW: Dugandzic, Williams

CF: Babalj, new visa*

LW: new visa*, Gol Gol

21 players heading into the season, pretty much perfect squad with right balance of experience and youth to win the league imo

Not sure how this is in anyway ideal. It's completely unrealistic in some ways and hardly ambitious. It only has 3 proven A-league mids as well. I know you have "new AM" but we still need another DM or box to box CM imo.

Some people seem to be getting excited about this Gerhardt bloke too. He is completely unknown quality and could easily turn out to be worse than Maycon (apparently he was deciding between Heart and the mighty Olimpija Ljubljana in Slovenia before coming here). Not saying he will be shite but it could go either way so we shouldn't expect him to be a star off a few Youtube videos.

I remember this well. He had 90% of the net wide open, keeper wrong footed and shot it at the keeper and somehow it went in (i think maybe via deflection).

Spot on.

Hoff had a tap in but hit it straight at the keeper. It was on target but would have been saved if it weren't for the deflection.

I remember this well. He had 90% of the net wide open, keeper wrong footed and shot it at the keeper and somehow it went in (i think maybe via deflection).

It was during this moment that i finally lost all hope in the Hoff.

hoff was directly in front of goal and his shot was heading for the corner flag had it not been for a deflection that guided the ball into the net

As people have said, it would be stupid to rely on hoff and Williams as our CF options. I think we were also very fortunate with babalj last season, as in it was known that he was good, but not THAT good and if he didn't become that good, we potentially could have finished outside the top 6.

every season there's 1 or 2 new foreign players that come to the league and tear it apart. Weve seen it previous seasons with Berisha, broich, Flores etc... so hopefully we can find our own 'gem' this year.

IMO this is the key point. I'm quite sure that this is why JA got the nod from the Board. He was able to articulate a vision for the team. The previous coaching team had done that for our inaugural season - remember, it was play with width down the wings? - and then for the second season we threw that away for some reason.

It's fine to criticise players for not performing, but if you sign them based on certain strengths and then don't play them where they can use those strengths, then it's not surprising that they don't perform.

No point in playing Terra at 5 foot 4 inches and then pumping long high balls over his head. No point in playing Worm or Dugandzic as wingers and then not feeding the ball to them where they can run on to it. Williams made it clear when he signed that he wanted to play as a central striker, so JvS played him on the wing. Hoffman - yes, I hear all the arguments, but the guy scored a bagful of goals in last pre-season and has a good scoring record in internationals - and how many times have we played him as a striker?

I think we should let JA and JD get their squad together and see what happens in the pre-season games before forming too many opinions. It's not that I disagree with a lot of what's being said, but with at least 5 more signings to be made to the seniors (and the potential for 3 more after that) and the NYL squad to back them up...let's wait and see for a bit.

Bela's post of the week!

Let's just try and be patient. It is difficult when every other team is announcing signings especially the visitors and there's only silence from our club but I'm sure that they aren't all laying on a Bali beach at the moment.

a main key to our success this season will be how

well the physical conditioning staff can prevent injuries, especially to key players.

We had too many injuries last season, not only to Fred, but players like Bolton, Colosimo, Srhoj, Worm, Kalmar, and Terra who are all players that on top of their game would be in the matchday squad. We had a full squad for the first time last season the second time we played Sydney at aami late in the season and it's simply not good enough tbh. how do we expect to contend for a top 4 position when we dont have a full squad 90% of the time. We had the same issue in our first season iirc

• Like 1

I still have hope for the Hoff, and I think the club do too seeing as they re-signed him halfway through last season. He was hardly played as a striker at all last year. I still think he has a good touch and a pretty good header. I also think our main problem in both seasons has been struggling to create chances, rather than our strikers failing to take them.

so apparently Nate Foster is training with the squad this week. will be a very good signing if true, have seen him play a few times and he is way too good to be playing in the state league. has basically carried Dandenong Thunder this season

If we sign him and he turns out shite at A League level: Blame D'Roy. :D

Any updates on who will replace Eli? Rumours ?

Well apparently Nate Foster is on trial now, but we were meant to sign a centre forward before Babalj left, so now we are meant to sign 2. If we sign a real good forward from overseas, then I think we can give the second place to Walker. If we sign Foster it kind of ruins things as we cant sign another foreigner and there arent many good Aussies available, and not sure if Foster and Walker, coming from VPL & NYL respectively, is a good decision.

Any updates on who will replace Eli? Rumours ?

From what I've been told, Didulica has been hard at trying to coax Kezman to the A-league. He retired this year but is really intrested in making it to Melbourne.

Watch this space.

As was said a few pages back and which has now been confirmed to me by family associates. Kerem Bulut WILL be playing in a Heart top next season.

Get excited gentleman. Everything's coming together swimingly.

• Like 4

Well apparently Nate Foster is on trial now, but we were meant to sign a centre forward before Babalj left, so now we are meant to sign 2. If we sign a real good forward from overseas, then I think we can give the second place to Walker. If we sign Foster it kind of ruins things as we cant sign another foreigner and there arent many good Aussies available, and not sure if Foster and Walker, coming from VPL & NYL respectively, is a good decision.

Babalj had some haters but we will struggle to replace him.

imagine Babalj upfront with Foster coming on as a sub if needed. :(

From what I've been told, Didulica has been hard at trying to coax Kezman to the A-league. He retired this year but is really intrested in making it to Melbourne.

Watch this space.

As was said a few pages back and which has now been confirmed to me by family associates. Kerem Bulut WILL be playing in a Heart top next season.

If true , this will be massive. Anyone know it if a PR player counts as a visa player? As gray should be a PR by now so he could be counted as an aussie player

Watch this space.

hope your not pulling our leg FB...

Serious? Very good pickup if true.

If true , this will be massive. Anyone know it if a PR player counts as a visa player? As gray should be a PR by now so he could be counted as an aussie player

PR = no visa = not a visa player.

What's a 'PR player'?

All i know is Gray will take up a VISA spot.

Permanent resident. Only need to be here 2 years AFAIK, probably depends on circumstances. But permanent residents wouldnt count to VISA players.

Edited by Tesla

Needs to be a Citizen not a perminant resident.

See Abbas, Cassio, etc.

Actually, just found the answer in the PFA CBA, permanent residents that intend to one day play for Australia when eligible/selected, dont count as foreigners.

Gray hasn't represented Ireland at youth level, it seems like that is unrealistic at this stage so surely it wouldn't hurt for him to say he has a desire to play for Australia in order to free up a visa spot

As for bulut and Kezman, I could see Kezman starting as the CF and even throwing Bulut out on the left wing to link up with behich. Then sign Foster as an impact player to fill the last visa spot and to top up the squad, Gol Gol and Glen Trifiro.

Watch this space.

Hope this is true. I'm still doubtful though, because JD has already denied the Bulut rumour.

I'm not sure Bulut is the sort of role model we need at the club.

I'm all for signing characters tbh.