Melbourne Football

Transfers

malloy

The only link is he came to Australia to play A-League. Dandy is his first stepping stone. I presume he will get a trial with any team. Let's hope it's us.

I say that, because if Roganovic can't get a spot on our list. This guy can at least get a trial.

Peter Sidwell is in Greece looking at a few players, While he is over there he is also in contract talks with Charisteas

What im hearing is, its out of Grella or Charisteas for marquee. The club don't want to sign both.

The signing of either of the players will be released prior to a friendly match with the opposition being a big Italian club which will be held in late June.

Edited by christian7

The more I think about it, Grella doesnt look as unlikely as it once did. Wasnt so long ago I would put the odds of him playing in the A-League at about 0.000001%. But given the current economic situation in Europe, Italy isnt as an attractive place to live in as it once was. I doubt he is in particularly high demand after his stint at Blackburn. He is available, home town club calling, with his mate (making an assumption they are mates) managing.

Would be a quality signing, a bit concerned about his injury proneness though.

• Like 1

I agree Tesla. Think Grella is a possibility more than ever now.

What Aloisi said about a midfield enforcer who can break up play and play the ball from defence, I think he was describing Vince Grella if I am honest. It makes perfect sense.

Come to think about it, he would be the best Defensive Midfielder in the A League and a midfield built around him, with Fred, Mate, Thompson would be quite devastating.

What worries me about Grella is his injury history and how much money he would demand. Whilst being a top class player, he wouldn't put bums on seats for the money he would demand. We have to factor in getting more numbers via a marquee signing. We are not doing well enough off the park to ignore the factor a big name would mean for us.

In saying all that I do see the reasoning behind it, and agreed with Aloisi in that we certainly lacked that type of player more than anything else. Having that enforcer in the midfield would protect our back four and also give our attackers more confidence.

Why no 7?

Or 14.

Worm and Ibrahim.

Grella - Still not 100% convinced on him. Certainly is a "break up the play" deep lying midfielder, but has played 6 games in the past two years, had some serious injury problems and is going to be 33 when the season starts. Even if we put him on Srhoj's old wage ($200k - which he wouldn't accept, mind you) then that's still a massive gamble. The gamble becomes doubled when you factor in that crowds won't come to see someone who hasn't been in the Socceroos squad for years and isn't a big name (Bresc is a name simply due to the goal against Uruguay and that celebration).

Charisteas - Ok, so I definitely get the crowd drawing power, but is he really a striker that we'd want? Yes, he scored that goal against Portugal, but since 2009 he hasn't been playing or, more importantly, scoring very much. I'm certainly not trying to say that he's "not good enough" for the club, because that's a wank. What I'm asking is whether or not the amount of money we'd have to spend on him would justify the potential return.

GolGol - He's Kamal v2.0. Whatever.

Christian7 - You've made a lot of huge calls over the past couple of months, and there's a lot of them that haven't come to anything as yet. There's going to come a point in time when you'll need to either spill your source to prove that you're not just making things up or regulate exactly what you're putting up on here, because you will lose a lot of face otherwise. Maybe even tag things as rumours, because the way you're saying things is that they're happening right now behind the scenes, yet very little has come to light.

tl;dr - I'm not convinced on players that we're linked to... or Christian7.

• Like 2

In b4 someone says this is racist.

Christian7 - You've made a lot of huge calls over the past couple of months, and there's a lot of them that haven't come to anything as yet. There's going to come a point in time when you'll need to either spill your source to prove that you're not just making things up or regulate exactly what you're putting up on here

Yeah, I stated this previously, still he deserves the benefit of the doubt, most of his predictions seem to be about Hernandez signing. Hernandez and one of Charisteas or Grella, would be a strong squad if Christian7 is correct. Lets hope he is.

Charisteas - Ok, so I definitely get the crowd drawing power, but is he really a striker that we'd want? Yes, he scored that goal against Portugal, but since 2009 he hasn't been playing or, more importantly, scoring very much. I'm certainly not trying to say that he's "not good enough" for the club, because that's a wank. What I'm asking is whether or not the amount of money we'd have to spend on him would justify the potential return.

Would be cheaper than grella IMO

The last club he played for in the greek super league got relegated, and i doubt that club would have been paying him more than 200k a season.

Worm and Ibrahim.

Wasn't referring to the number on their shirt. Just the number on the list forbze supplied. It wasn't in any jersey number order. Just counting the players. He missed 2 players. Worm & Ibrahim are not the players he missed. We aren't thinking of signing them again.

putting aside the fact i really don't think Hernandez will sign with us... can we actually afford his wages? 150k is what his been offered at the victory.. can we better that? we have 500k to work with iirc, are we gonna waste probably half of that on 1 player?

putting aside the fact i really don't think Hernandez will sign with us... can we actually afford his wages? 150k is what his been offered at the victory.. can we better that? we have 500k to work with iirc, are we gonna waste probably half of that on 1 player?

Yes

Grella - Still not 100% convinced on him. Certainly is a "break up the play" deep lying midfielder, but has played 6 games in the past two years, had some serious injury problems and is going to be 33 when the season starts. Even if we put him on Srhoj's old wage ($200k - which he wouldn't accept, mind you) then that's still a massive gamble. The gamble becomes doubled when you factor in that crowds won't come to see someone who hasn't been in the Socceroos squad for years and isn't a big name (Bresc is a name simply due to the goal against Uruguay and that celebration).

Christian7 - You've made a lot of huge calls over the past couple of months, and there's a lot of them that haven't come to anything as yet. There's going to come a point in time when you'll need to either spill your source to prove that you're not just making things up or regulate exactly what you're putting up on here, because you will lose a lot of face otherwise. Maybe even tag things as rumours, because the way you're saying things is that they're happening right now behind the scenes, yet very little has come to light.

tl;dr - I'm not convinced on players that we're linked to... or Christian7.

Right on KA. All too much rumour and speculation. The only new player we've actually signed for next season is Andrew Redmayne, back in January, and that came completely out of the blue.

Club definitely plays its cards close to its chest - it has to, because everyone else is chasing players as well. So, other than some loose lips, or an ill-advised tweet somewhere, believe nothing unless and until it is confirmed officially by the club.

I don't want any victory players and certainly not that c**t Hernandez

imagine scores are level in the derby, 93rd minute, we have a free kick just outside the box with the victory supporters behind that goal and hernandez steps up and hits a rocket into the top left corner :lol:

Not a Fred fan?

Or even Dugandzic or Behich?

Pretty much our 3 best players. Seems to me we are doing pretty good with them ex-Victory players. Too bad for Victory that they couldnt get the best out of them (except for maybe Fred).

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

pre-season starts in june and scott munn said we would sign at least 5 players by the start of pre-season, so does that mean we'll have 5 players signed in the next 15 days?

If you believe what he said, yes, it means that. In addition it looks as though he's also looking for an Assistant Coach and an NYL Coach. So it's certainly going to be busy times at Heart HQ.

Not a Fred fan?

Or even Dugandzic or Behich?

Pretty much our 3 best players. Seems to me we are doing pretty good with them ex-Victory players. Too bad for Victory that they couldnt get the best out of them (except for maybe Fred).

I can forgive the signing of Dugandzic and Behich- they are local lads... but...

(I am probably going to get shot down for this, but eh...) TBH I was pretty embarrassed when we signed Fred. He is a fantastic player dont get me wrong, but we go out saying "we are going to forge our own name" and insist we are not trying to poach Victory fans, etc but then sign someone who was a massive part of Victory's success? Then to back that up with signing Hernandez (someone who has scored against us in the derby) would just sickening personally.

Surely we can find our own gems.

• Like 1

I can forgive the signing of Dugandzic and Behich- they are local lads... but...

(I am probably going to get shot down for this, but eh...) TBH I was pretty embarrassed when we signed Fred. He is a fantastic player dont get me wrong, but we go out saying "we are going to forge our own name" and insist we are not trying to poach Victory fans, etc but then sign someone who was a massive part of Victory's success? Then to back that up with signing Hernandez (someone who has scored against us in the derby) would just sickening personally.

Surely we can find our own gems.

i agree....

surely there's someone else out there who's 25-29 and is an Attacking Mid who hasnt played for Mongs FC.

Still very happy when we signed Fred, and would take him again if i had the choice..

anyone concerned at the possibility of Western Sydney trying to poach our players when they get a coach?

if any of our players were under contract we can keep them.

however if one of our players want to leave its likely we'll let them go because who wants one of their players playing for them if they dont want to?

if any of our players were under contract we can keep them.

however if one of our players want to leave its likely we'll let them go because who wants one of their players playing for them if they dont want to?

well our club has always released players from their contracts if they say they want to leave. Western Sydney have a full roster and full salary cap to work with, so if they offer, for example Brendan Hamill double his wages, a player like him might consider a move there.

well our club has always released players from their contracts if they say they want to leave. Western Sydney have a full roster and full salary cap to work with, so if they offer, for example Brendan Hamill double his wages, a player like him might consider a move there.

trueee......

but i would say they would be looking at more experienced players.... i dont know why, just got a feeling. i think they'll be more inclined to grow their own youth.

they would be more interested in Colossimo or Thompson IMO.

Well, we have so far. But I think there's a limit to this, otherwise we end up as the club, or a club, that has to go about finding and signing almost a full squad again.

Of last year's squad we told Worm, Terra, Sarkies, Taseski, Ibrahim, Maycon and Roganovic they were no longer required.

Zahra asked to be released to join Perth (and TBH I suspect that we were only too happy for this to happen), and Srhoj has apparently decided not to accept our offer to re-sign.

In total that's a fair turnover.

We failed to keep Goodwin and were knocked back by Halloran, so it's not proving easy to make new signings and so I can't see us readily letting anyone else go, especially a younger player.

I've often wondered why the A-League doesn't allow an optional transfer fee - say, up to the basic PFA wage

($47,000) where releases involve a player still under contract.

• Like 1