Melbourne Football

Membership numbers and how to increase them

Torn Asunder

i remember when carlton sc came and played at epping stadium a fews years back and attracted a crowd of 7k

I was there, do you also remember the game being delayed for two hours because the nets weren't properly attached? I'm pretty sure that was a couple of weeks before the club folded.

Anyway, lets just try to win some games and score some goals. Victory's crowds grew so large because they had one highly successful season of very exciting football during the boom in general football interest around 2006. They were winning, scoring lots of goals every game and had some crazy matches that won fans over (3-2 vs Sydney, 3-3 with CCM). At home, we rarely win, struggle to score and have had many very dull performances, particularly for important games (early season games, the adelaide game). For people who love football this doesn't really matter, but casuals and new fans just won't come back.

Against free scarves, or any other gimmicky items.

Membership pack should only contain:

Envelope,

Welcome letter,

Membership Card.

Keeps costs down, which they can pass on to members.

lanyard? but other than that its fairly right...

now Visitor's attendances are in decline because they have only one 1 in 10 games and are playing pathetically (would expect anything more!)

I was talking to a Western Bulldogs supporter the other day at work, and she was saying that because she is a WB member she is automatically a member of Williamstown in the VFL. I was thinking that we should do something similar, but in reverse. If we were to give significant discounts on memberships (maybe even free five game memberships?) to members of state league clubs it might encourage to bridge the gap between state and national supporters. Other than that I really dont know, other than advertise the shit out of our club (and I am talking proper campaigns- not pissy little ads in the paper) but I dont really think thats in the budget.

That's a great idea, it's a smart way to re=engage the old NSL supporters and VPL supporters who feel shunned by the HAL.

Another problem that's not just specific to Heart is the high cost of a family club season ticket and a Foxtel subscription. This can easily come to over $1000 a year and hardly encourages Fox subscribers to come to the game when they have already paid to stay hom and watch it on TV. Maybe the club could also target Foxtel subscribers with special promotions to attend a game in person.

That's a great idea, it's a smart way to re=engage the old NSL supporters and VPL supporters who feel shunned by the HAL.

As a Collingwood FC member I am granted free access to any home VFL games that Collingwood's VFL play as well, which is a great idea and when I can, I actually really enjoy the VFL.

I find there is one problem with us trying to do this with VPL teams. We have no affiliation with these clubs and I could guarantee most people here, knowing die-hard Melbourne Knights and South Melbourne fans, that many want nothing to do with the A-League. Politically I could also see the bigger VPL clubs (Melbourne Knights and South Melbourne) not being very warm to this idea, fans or board.

So I think a better way to increase membership numbers is to try and somehow attract non-football people to Heart, rather than disinterested fans, who after 7 years still aren't coming to games or buying memberships.

Or if we want to got down the VPL free tickets part, why don't we have a special membership offer for VPL members, i.e. pay $100 and attend 5 games of your choice, including home derbies. Sort of a try before you buy thing

So I think a better way to increase membership numbers is to try and somehow attract non-football people to Heart, rather than disinterested fans, who after 7 years still aren't coming to games or buying memberships.

Or if we want to got down the VPL free tickets part, why don't we have a special membership offer for VPL members, i.e. pay $100 and attend 5 games of your choice, including home derbies. Sort of a try before you buy thing

Good points.

Your first point is part of what Warrior was saying earlier - that the potential support base for Heart is 4m Melbournians, not just a few thousand so-called 'football people.' And so we need a much wider marketing strategy than just addressing the same old people with the same old themes. The FFA continues to make this mistake. We should avoid it. If you get to know the people around you in a football ground you'll find they are of all ages and from all walks of life, not just some pre-ordained socio-economic group.

Second point - great idea, and not just for VPL members. More flexible memberships required all round. So, for example, you can nominate how many games you'll want to attend during the season, any number from, say 5, to the full 13 or whatever it is going to be. Not quite sure how that would work but surely the software can handle it? If not then Heart HQ needs to fix it so it can work.

Edited by jw1739

Agree with many of these ideas.....but numerous initiatives are required, not only one or two. My take is.

1. Win games

2. Recruit a Soccerroo or other international star that has the marketable goodwill like Kewell and that is technically gifted like Fred. Who is this person? I don't think any of the current offshore Aussies have that type of appeal "yet". Let's be realistic also.

3. Make the finals playoff (gets the media and public on our side).

4. Each members responsibility to promote the club. I've converted about 20 or so over the two years (half turned into members). As I enjoy talking sport (cricket is an exception), I casually promote at all social situations i.e. work, events, kids party's, my kids wear Heart jerseys at there clubs training also. Simple but effective promotion. Just more of it is needed.

EDIT: just had another idea. If this Greek player has earnt his stripes and is as good as many have claimed, lets get him. will get supporters from the Greek community. But don't stop there. Get a true Italian also. Need to market ourselves to the ethnics also (but not carry any NSL stigma)!

Edited by Pandev

Here is my attempt to summarise the key points and issues raised thus far:

Memberships and Ticketing

Members and memberships are to be highly valued, however the Club needs to do some serious work with regards to:

• Pricing & Membership / Ticketing Flexibility - i.e. some AFL clubs provide excellent packages and options for members that are aimed to catch as many supporters as possible. The Club could look at 3 games, 5 games, 7 games, etc memberships, Derby (and throw in Sydney) packages, value packages (i.e. Wellington / Perth / CCM, etc)
  • Better Seating oppurtuinities and more Seating Flexibility

Freebies and discounted tickets or memberships need to be considered carefully and with caution so as to not de-value the Melbourne Heart brand

The Team & Match day Experience

The team needs to be succesful & consideration should be given to signing a high profile marquee player to attract new fans (a Socceroo would be great!)

When first timers or casual attendees come to a game, the whole experience (win / lose or draw) should on balance be an enjoyable and memorable experience that ultimately results in more members and casual attendees.

Engagement

The Club website and facebook page (social media) needs improvement & should be modern, fresh and engaging.

The Club should look at oppurnistic engagment with:

• minority / target groups (i.e Asian & Greek communities) and ensure follow up
  • non football groups like the Arts
  • Universities
  • Corporate

The Club needs to determine if there is any benefit targeting members geographically.

The Club needs to engage with as many Victorian soccer clubs as possible (without formal affiliation in the interest of not being tied to any particular club), whilst still building relationships with clubs at all levels.

Marketing

More advertising! Free to air TV / Foxtel / Radio and Print - Important, important, important!!

Link offers / memberships / tickets, etc to Foxtel subscriptions or specific pay TV oppurtunities.

Get more merchandise out and about.

Get better reciprocation with regards to marketing / deals / cross promotion with major sponsors and tap into their markets, espically with regards to their employees.

Pray that the FFA get an awesome TV deal in the coming years!!

Members

Provide a rewards program (even if it was just formal recognition) for members who:

• bring people to games (encourage, encourage, encourage!)
  • get new members signed up

Offer members the oppurtunity to run a promotional program or provide resources for:

• Local / junior clubs
  • Corporate occasions

Members through Yarraside / Red and White Unite to form a committe that is formally recognised by the Club to work with the Club on matchday and marketing ideas / campaigns to be undertaken by the Club and Yarraside / Red and White Unite (web, gorilla marketing, viral) - This is one I have added and am interested in peoples thoughts!!!

Other Things

Socceroos / World Cup - promote as much as possible through the Club and ensure that when the socceroos have a match in Melbourne, the Heart have a noticable presence

A-League in general - the Club to push for better representation with respect to high level decisions for the A-League

Anyway, thats it so far. I have probably missed a few things, and taken the liberty to add a couple of suggestions based on a critical assessment of comments...

Not sure how to formally make the Melbourne Heart exec's aware of these ideas .... any suggestions?

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 3

lads, I will collate the ideas from this thread and present them to Munn at season's end. Our ideas and our voices will be heard.

This is what is needed. The club and fans working in unison to create the future of the club. Well done BH!!! Just point him in the direction of the forum, I am sure he reads it anyway but presenting him with what the fans want is ideal.

A massive way to increase supporters and members is to win tonight. Finals would be a massive blessing. Make no mistake, this is the most important game in our short existence.

What the fans can do is get there tonight, make a heap of noise and be that 12th man and get the lads over the line.

In all this we'd be foolish to ignore what is going on 'across the road' in the Victory camp. Whatever people might say, we are competing with them for at least casual support if not members.

The pace and firepower that they unleashed against the Phoenix last night was 'shock and awe' compared with what we showed last week. I hold no brief for them whatever, but if you were non-aligned and had to choose between us and them there's little doubt which performance you would prefer. So, if for no other reason, we simply must improve our strikepower.

Also MV are very good at getting maximum media exposure. There's far more on the 'Will they? Won't they?' about Magilton than 'Who will it be?' on JvS' successor. When asked on Ange, Scott Munn should have fuelled the rumour by a simple statement such as 'No decision yet, but I can assure you we're looking at everyone.'

Similarly, on potential players. Instead of hosing the speculation down with 'No decisions will be made until the new coach is on board', start the rumour mill with something like 'We're talking to a number of players at the moment, including several strikers from Europe who like the idea of Melbourne Heart.'

Doesn't matter whether it's true or not, just get the headline. And most things are partially true if you use the right words.

Edited by jw1739

Doesn't matter whether it's true or not, just get the headline. And most things are partially true if you use the right words.

Good point. You have to play the game- look after the media, (by giving them stories) and I reckon they'll look after you.

About 5 seasons ago, when I was living in Brisbane, the Roar put on a deal for junior players, not sure if it was all clubs but in our case the U10s were invited to march around the ground before kick off before the season opener and then have free entry into the game. Anyway my son and I went and really enjoyed. We've been following the A league ever since.

There are a huge number of junior players out there- to me they and their families are the untapped A League audience. We need to explore ways to get them more involved with Heart.

Clearly the product needs to be vastly improved to generate interest. Why the club has no marquee is beyond me as thru signing someone like Kewell generates media coverage that money can't buy for our type of budget.

Actually play and demonstrate the philosophy rather than talk about it.

Im at a loss with the affiliation/association with Morwell(can someone please explain to the naive me in what it's all about?) it's 150kms from where we play and the same from where we train.

The community game should be played to the west of the c.b.d where the major growth area is. Hoppers Crossing/ Werribee would have been an ideal location with point cook only minutes away and the altona area. Even further down the hwy to Geelong and the surfcoast. Latrobe population 70k with Geelong and the surfocast 260k.

I would open the gates to all once a year for a gold coin donation in early January to coincide with summer holidays, obviously a charity is chosen to coincide with the day. Builds goodwill and once again generates free publicity. Have the place swarming with volunteers making sure everyone but mainly familys walk out with a heart showbag containing member info, some sort of kids activity book, couple of balloons, poster and a ticket to win a signed guernsy after they send it back in with their details for future marketing purposes. Perhaps even a training pass for 5-12 year olds that can register and a few players get out around the place over summer holding these sessions. For a club promoting youth lets show the mums and dads that we are keeping tabs on these kids as this is the club in australia that little johnny could really go somewhere in the world with.

I would include two free ticket to all members in their package to drag along the uninitiated. No more advertising half price tickets or certain days for members to bring someone, can be used anytime bar the derby.

Reduce the price of family member packages as an outing is a rarity for a lot of people struggling to make ends meet.

Someone mentioned scarves before and I would also push for them to be included in memberships or maybe at an extra cost that covers their manufacture only, include the number of continual years of member support on them. People are funny and while they maybe incognito for the coming season for whatever reason/s no one wants to start back at #1 the following season.

Clearly the product needs to be vastly improved to generate interest. Why the club has no marquee is beyond me as thru signing someone like Kewell generates media coverage that money can't buy for our type of budget.

Actually play and demonstrate the philosophy rather than talk about it.

Im at a loss with the affiliation/association with Morwell(can someone please explain to the naive me in what it's all about?) it's 150kms from where we play and the same from where we train.

The community game should be played to the west of the c.b.d where the major growth area is. Hoppers Crossing/ Werribee would have been an ideal location with point cook only minutes away and the altona area. Even further down the hwy to Geelong and the surfcoast. Latrobe population 70k with Geelong and the surfocast 260k.

I would open the gates to all once a year for a gold coin donation in early January to coincide with summer holidays, obviously a charity is chosen to coincide with the day. Builds goodwill and once again generates free publicity. Have the place swarming with volunteers making sure everyone but mainly familys walk out with a heart showbag containing member info, some sort of kids activity book, couple of balloons, poster and a ticket to win a signed guernsy after they send it back in with their details for future marketing purposes. Perhaps even a training pass for 5-12 year olds that can register and a few players get out around the place over summer holding these sessions. For a club promoting youth lets show the mums and dads that we are keeping tabs on these kids as this is the club in australia that little johnny could really go somewhere in the world with.

I would include two free ticket to all members in their package to drag along the uninitiated. No more advertising half price tickets or certain days for members to bring someone, can be used anytime bar the derby.

Reduce the price of family member packages as an outing is a rarity for a lot of people struggling to make ends meet.

Someone mentioned scarves before and I would also push for them to be included in memberships or maybe at an extra cost that covers their manufacture only, include the number of continual years of member support on them. People are funny and while they maybe incognito for the coming season for whatever reason/s no one wants to start back at #1 the following season.

Some bloody good ideas there. Particularly the gold coin day, the two free tickets per member, and the scarf with years membership. All worth putting to Scott Munn.

I seriously believe the members have to be earned by the players on the pitch. You can try all the promo's regarding tickets, our home results have done little to engage casual fans to become members. We also need a "name", but I don't see that we can afford one.

I rather think the issue is whether we can afford NOT to have one.

• Like 1

I rather think the issue is whether we can afford NOT to have one.

Exactly.

Enough piss farting around. If the club read this, for crying out loud, get the numbers by recruiting a name. Do your dilligence of course, but get someone that will put bums on seats and then work your arses off to turn them into members.

The club, playing for finals attracted 7,500? The long term future of this club is at stake. It cannot continue on this course.

We should have cracked 10k for that game if we were serious. Next year is vital.

Also doesnt help when we choke. The home final was there for the taking. 2 nil up at home, and we revert into a stupid game style and drop points giving up a home final. Disgraceful. This club needed a home final more than anything. Forget our form at home, the club needed to generate interest. Now heading to Perth or Wellington, what type of hype will we receive? Not a lot.

Here's how we can radiclly increase membership numbers in the short term.

1. Sign Hernandez who is very popular over at the Victory.

2. Offer special introductory discount memberships to 2011/12 members of any other A League club to switch to the Heart. Eg a first year membershio for just $50. This would not cannibalise our existing membership but there are lots of Victory members who are fed up with the Victory who, with a litle enticing + Hernandez, could be persuaded to make the switch.

3. Go to the social clubs of Australian public servant organisations (eg Medicare) and offer discounted memberships through them. Public servants often have flextime thus can more easily get time off work to attend early evening midweek matches.

4. Make posters available in the Heart shop.

5. WIth some seed funding from our sponsors give away 50,000 Heart posters to readers of the Herald Sun.

6. Free memberships for kids under 16.

7. Sign Hernandez who is very popular over at the Victory.

8. Hire a developer to make some good free Heart soccer apps/games for tablets and phones and distribute them freely.

9. Allow people to post topics at the facebook Heart page once again (its turned off)

10 Get Ange as coach (massive increase in greek membership).

cheers Peter

Edited by pberrett

2. Offer special introductory discount memberships to 2011/12 members of any other A League club to switch to the Heart. Eg a first year membershio for just $50. This would not cannibalise our existing membership but there are lots of Victory members who are fed up with the Victory who, with a litle enticing + Hernandez, could be persuaded to make the switch.

3. Go to the social clubs of Australian public servant organisations (eg Medicare) and offer discounted memberships through them. Public servants often have flextime thus can more easily get time off work to attend early evening midweek matches.

5. WIth some seed funding from our sponsors give away 50,000 Heart posters to readers of the Herald Sun.

8. Hire a developer to make some good free Heart soccer apps/games for tablets and phones and distribute them freely.

9. Allow people to post topics at the facebook Heart page once again (its turned off)

cheers Peter

Carlos in disguise looking for a new deal?

Edited by nicka94

cheers Peter

Lol. Although Peter is clearly trolling some of his his sarcastic suggestions do bring up valid talking points which are mainly to do with the people we are targeting. And I do agree that instead of trying to win over an existing community, if Heart are serious about becoming a liable club we need to create our own community. A very tough task indeed.

The only way this is going to happening is by somehow attracting the EPL type fans and/or "converting" non-football sports fans to the round ball. And I can think of no better way of doing this by playing exciting football. Although I do admire our commitment to youth, etc this alone is not going to get bums on seats which is what needs to happen. We need to be able to say to our friends and work colleagues that have been telling us for years how boring soccer is, that Heart will prove them wrong and they need to come to a match to see how wrong they are. These kind of people dont give a shit about a highly tactical game-plan with a scrappy 1-0 win in the 84th minute. They dont want to see a team that passes backwards when there are no options. They want to see someone have a crack from outside the box if there are no other options. They want to see someone skip past several defenders with amazing pace and skill. They want ACTION.

I was talking to a friend who is an AFL fan a while back and over the weekend his team had lost by a goal kicked right at the end of a fast paced game that could have easily gone one way or the other. I remarked that he must be absolutely gutted to lose like that, but to my surprise he wasnt. His response was "I would rather lose and be entertained, that win and watch a boring match." It may go against what some people believe to be "pure football", but this (in my opinion) needs to be the way the club heads. The only way we are going to really grow as a club is if we start converting people to the football family with exciting and winning football. The problem is though... isnt that what every club wants?

Let's get back to this topic, given the statement by Peter Sidwell that he hopes that we can get up to a 33% increase in membership if we have a strong finals campaign. This statement more of less confirms the target of 9,500 for next season.

A few comments. Unless we win the damn thing, then I suspect that the impact of a bit of a run in the finals will have well and truly dissipated by next October.

I think we need a pre-season campaign against much stronger sides than we played last pre-season, and a much better advertised one. You won't go to a game if you don't know it's on... Playing against scratch sides we flattered to deceive. I'm also keen to see our senior professionals putting in the hard yards in the pre-season games - not driving for an hour across Melbourne and then finding we're fielding a bunch of juniors and triallists. And maybe a bit more interaction with the fans at these games, such as autographs, a bit of merchandise for sale etc.

Next, I'd really like to see us play a pre-season game against an overseas club, not some half-baked Pommy reserve side or the equivalent but a club perhaps a bit stronger than ourselves who will give us something to aspire to. Call it the 'Melbourne Heart Friendship Trophy' or something similar, and try to make it an annual occurrence. Don't quite know which club to suggest, because of when the various seasons begin etc., just floating the idea.

Next, no doubt in my mind that Heart has not yet captured the imagination of its potential audience. We desperately need a 'name' player, someone who plays with flair and imagination and who can excite the crowd.

Next, I don't believe that big splashy promotional campaigns produce any meaningful results. We could spend a fortune on big advertisement campaigns, but I reckon a flyer dropped in every letter box in Melbourne would produce much better results. Because it's personal. If every one of our 7,000 members took just 100 flyers, that would be 700,000 letterboxes covered...

Finally, Warrior has pointed out, several times, that our potential support comes not from those who already into football, but from those who are not, and how we should be targeting those audiences rather than just the amorphous 'general public.'

Edited by jw1739

You know the club can't afford that!

They even freeze their own ice for ice baths(/bins) and ice packs...

How else do they get ice? Get it delivered? Lol.

Most AFL/VFL clubs have their own ice machine. Saves them $$$ and they don't have to wait for deliveries.