Melbourne Football

Membership numbers and how to increase them

Torn Asunder

Currently the club has a model of community engagement, a corporate program, youth development and attractive exciting football as the cornerstones of building membership.

The club was targeting 10,000 members this year (which i believe has not been achieved ) and there were a number of deals such as buy one ticket get one free, half price tickets, free tickets for members and 5 game memberships to encourage more people to attend games.

Attendance for 2011/2012 to date average 9,724. The derby averaged 26,482 and against interstate / NZ clubs the average stands at 6,372.

Last season the average was 8,315, the derby average was 24,478 and against interstate / NZ clubs the average was 5,828

I have read quite a few posts where people have put forward great ideas on how to get more people through the gate and ultimately turn them into members.

I thought it would make a good stand alone topic and maybe even provide the marketing area of the club with an avenue to good ideas from current members.

So post away....how can the club (and we as members) help increase the Melbourne Heart membership number? What initiatives have worked well and what has bombed?

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 2

Get rid of free tickets, the club needs to create a sense of value in being a member. I think a large amount of advertising money should also go into promoting upcoming matches, as there is no FTA ads to let the general public know about the match. Get people coming to matches, and then work on getting them to sign up. I couldn't care less if we had 10K coming to every match, but only 5K members.

• Like 1

Bring your mates to games!

people from school, work or anywhere else bring them down.

if everyone brings only one friend to a game a week would double the attendances.

(some people could possibly bring 2-3 which would allow others off the 'hook'.)

could work but need to get everyone in the stadium involved. :unsure:

may sound unreasonable but add the things the club are already doing and MIGHT work!

good thread BTW... :)

Currently the club has a model of community engagement, a corporate program, youth development and attractive exciting football as the cornerstones of building membership.

The club was targeting 10,000 members this year

it was 7,500 tbh. Regardless of if they said different something publicly, i can assure you that 7.5k was the figure. It has nearly been hit btw.

Making the finals and Vucktree missing out would go along way to helping the cause as well.It would essentially mean that all football that is reported and spoken about in a positive sense(not about problems/rebuilding/coaching changes etc) would be about us. Perception is everything in a new market and we need to try and take advantage of a somewhat sole market positively with Victory out of the minds of the neutrals and the media for a few weeks.

If we (fingers crossed were to make finals and actually progress quite well), I could see the neutral public and non-afl media jumping on and effectively building the profile in this compact period of the finals.

Just a correction, the aim was 7,500 members this year. We've fallen short with something over 6,000 I think. Which is up on the 5,300 I believe we had in our first year.

The easiest way, and perhaps the only way to increase memberships is to win more games. Especially at home. The potential audience is there, and while there's been an improvement on and off the field this year, I can't help thinking this year has been a bit of a lost opportunity - we've failed to win important games at critical times and build momentum. On the other hand, we've kind of dodged a bullet with Victory being so shit. We could've easily been swamped under the Kewell publicity if he and them had a better year.

I don't know how to read it exactly, but the club has 30,000 facebook followers, and that number keeps growing gradually. Now that's not 30,000 fans as such because there are some Victory trolls, and fans of other clubs on there, and people overseas etc. I've sometimes clicked on these people and quite a few seem to follow both Heart and Victory, so are just casual sports fans. But still, 30,000 is the third highest in the league behind Victory and Wellington. Now despite many not being dedicated fans, I don't see how we couldn't get a decent proportion of those people to a game. We just need to give them a good reason to attend - and that reason is a reasonable expectation that if they come to a game, they'll enjoy it. And basically, you enjoy being at the football when your team wins and you can share the experience with other fans.

I agree that gimicks like free ticket offers have only a marginal effect, and can actually harm the reputation of the club if we look like we're giving tickets away.

The club has done a lot right. I think we're in a position where if results improve, the potential auduience is there. If we can win a final and place in the top 4 this year, that will give us something good to work with.

Pretty much, if we win games at home, finish in the top 2 or 3 or fingers crossed win the championship, we will attract more members.

I still think people are very shy in coming to A-League games (I'm talking about South Melbourne and Knights fans etc.).

Also the A-League marketing philosophy is pretty poor in my opinion. Rather than trying to engage the community, it tries to and fails at trying to engage the football community who don't care about the A-league (OLD NSL FANS), BUT Heart have been awesome in trying to engage the community.

Another could be to sign a big marquee player, someone who will bring people through the gates to watch.

Look pretty much, if we want to increase our membership, we have to win more games next year and MAKE THE FINALS this year, because if we do, Victory won't, then that is another thing we have over the visitors

The best way to increasing Membership would be to heap more pressure on FFA into showing a percentage of games on FTA, making the sport a LEGITIMATE mainstream sport.

The sport currently has very little exposure to the greater community.

Edited by LR9
  • Like 2

The best way to increasing Membership would be to heap more pressure on FFA into showing a percentage of games on FTA, making the sport a LEGITIMATE mainstream sport.

The sport currently has very little exposure to the greater community.

I think Heart (and Victory I guess) will benefit greatly from the increase in Victorian subscriptions that Foxtel are going to obtain through the AFL rights. Possibly not in memberships straight away, but will mean the game has a bigger audience.

Edited by hedaik1

There are so many people in this country that follow football, primarily the EPL, but they have no interest in the A-League. There is your target market. This is where we need to focus. Most of these people are young males. Too much focus is placed on families instead of on attracting these people to games.

Chuck some A-league ads on during their EPL and CL games.

And FTA obviously speaks for itself and is crucial.

I think Heart (and Victory I guess) will benefit greatly from the increase in Victorian subscriptions that Foxtel are going to obtain through the AFL rights. Possibly not in memberships straight away, but will mean the game has a bigger audience.

this a couple of older fellas at my work are just getting foxtel for the live footy not saying they are all into watching A-league (or any sokkah) but when nothing else is on does have potential viewing especially when i am thrashing on about how much better heart is to a victory supporter co worker. and bravehearts post to some of my mates play futsall and are hard into EPL but don't watch any A-league accept when we lose then they give it to me typical but mainly really needs way more FTA exposure.

I was talking to a Western Bulldogs supporter the other day at work, and she was saying that because she is a WB member she is automatically a member of Williamstown in the VFL. I was thinking that we should do something similar, but in reverse. If we were to give significant discounts on memberships (maybe even free five game memberships?) to members of state league clubs it might encourage to bridge the gap between state and national supporters.

Other than that I really dont know, other than advertise the shit out of our club (and I am talking proper campaigns- not pissy little ads in the paper) but I dont really think thats in the budget.

• Like 1

This year membership numbers were inflated by 1000 as i know of 2 efforts by junior clubs that purchased around 500 memberships each, as part of promotional activities before the season.

So if you subtract that from this years tally we haven't really moved anywhere in membership.

Crowd numbers are definitly up so that is a good sign.

At this point i think there are only 2 ways to increase members

1. Start playing like brisbane and win every week and bring home a trophy
  2. or more realisticly , follow newcastles lead and sell memberships for half price.

That option worked well for newcastle.

For the individual $200 for a membership is not so bad - good value even.

For a family $400-$500 is a fair investment for a casual observer - hence only the diehards purchase.

You want to double memberships - make it attractive and affordable for families to attend (and let them know about it).

3rd option i think needs investigating is open up the wings for cheaper pricing.

The dollars i was talking about before get you at the ends only - not best viewing (although is still good)

We have empty stands, why not close off the sunnyside (east). move everyone into west stand and have cheap seats upstairs.

Better viewing , better value for money.

Such a huge subject. Includes:

- The advertising, marketing and publicity around football and the FFA/A-League in general.

- Advertising, marketing and publicity about Melbourne Heart in the Melbourne market.

- How to encourage more people to attend games on a casual basis.

- How to make a season-ticket a more attractive proposition.

On local marketing, I'm always surprised that we don't use the local newspaper (Leader Newspapers) for advertising. It goes to most homes in Melbourne.

We'll definitely attract more casuals if we win more games and have a crown-pulling 'name' playing for us.

But people will only come if they know the game is on. Many people now use the web to see what's going on. The Heart web-site is awful - just looks sterile and unresponsive. For a long time it has shown events for Adelaide United, and only in the last week has had a tile advertising the 'next home game.' So this is something the club needs to get a grip on. And provide a feed-back page so people can comment on matters Heart. Site needs to be chatty and informative.

Season-tickets? They just need to be made more worthwhile.

- A season-ticket is just what it says it is – a ticket for the season. Special offers, such as dirt cheap 5-game tickets half-way through the season are a slap in the face for those who coughed up the full amount at the start. Likewise half-price tickets. Cut them out. Reinstate the home derbies into ‘Country Season Tickets.’

- Offer part-concession season-tickets to registered players and their families.

- Offer part-concession season-tickets to seniors.

- Expand the ‘no-alcohol area’ and move it away from the corner of the stadium.

- When family-ticket holders can’t bring the children, provide upgrades to the children’s tickets so adults can come. (This facility is not available at the moment.)

- Extend the members-only pre-sale period for home derbies, and let people purchase the tickets they actually want, not have to take the so-called ‘best-available.’

- Have, say, a 10% discount on any additional ticket bought by a season-ticket holder for a friend coming along to a match.

- Give each season-ticket holder a 'season scarf.'

Plenty more I'm sure. Most of all, though, Heart has to be more than just the 'club that isn't Melbourne Victory.' We should be different in as many ways as we reasonably can. Always better, always more responsive to anything anyone ever enquires about. When you pick up the phone or email or tweet the club it should make you feel wanted. All the time, every time.

This year membership numbers were inflated by 1000 as i know of 2 efforts by junior clubs that purchased around 500 memberships each, as part of promotional activities before the season.

So if you subtract that from this years tally we haven't really moved anywhere in membership.

Crowd numbers are definitly up so that is a good sign.

At this point i think there are only 2 ways to increase members

1. Start playing like brisbane and win every week and bring home a trophy
  2. or more realisticly , follow newcastles lead and sell memberships for half price.

That option worked well for newcastle.

For the individual $200 for a membership is not so bad - good value even.

For a family $400-$500 is a fair investment for a casual observer - hence only the diehards purchase.

You want to double memberships - make it attractive and affordable for families to attend (and let them know about it).

3rd option i think needs investigating is open up the wings for cheaper pricing.

The dollars i was talking about before get you at the ends only - not best viewing (although is still good)

We have empty stands, why not close off the sunnyside (east). move everyone into west stand and have cheap seats upstairs.

Better viewing , better value for money.

my full-season membership cost $37.50 (active supporter)

the club would have to be desperate to put it any lower.

however, put the price at $40 - $45 and include a scarf or backpack or something.....

I think whilst I applaud the effort we have made in the community and business etc I think more could be done or followed up.

For instance, those fans for AXF, the Asian fans who came to the derby. The one Ando spoke to. What was the follow up on those guys by the club? For doing that, they maybe should have been given a 5 game membership and a function with the players, invite RWU and Yarraside members and have a day at La Trobe interacting with them and our fans. Instantly we have a large base of new fans who feel part of something. It means also, that is a new community that is added. They tell their friends and family how great we are and instantly more attend and so on. It's marketing 101. Just inviting them once, sitting them in a corner and that's it would have done nothing to make them feel part of the club. Whilst we are an infant we need to branch out and extend ourselves as a club to doing the hard yards. Full credit to Ando for branching out, it's what is needed.

Gorilla marketing also attracts me. That is something we the fans could do. Create a website and then launch people handing out cards at their University, Workplace, School, wherever with the website name and have a launch date. If you get 100 people or 1000 people who cares its low cost and on that date and time you launch the website with a Video presenting the Melbourne Heart and the Yarraside and RWU and what you do and say "We want you" to be part of it. Invite them through the website to the Imperial for a Function where you get a couple of players and Scott Munn and there you go. It may or may not work, but it would be fun and could be rewarding. Just on this, have the website name something not related to anything football on the cards etc, make people wonder what the hell is this website that is launching on say May17th at 6pm. There interest will get the better of them.

The club need to ramp it up, but so to do the fans in some ways.

We all love this club, but for it to be around for a few more years, quite simply, the numbers have got to grow. 6,700 members needs to turn into 10,000 members pretty quickly on my thinking. It can happen. 12,000 average crowds (without the derbies) has to be what we want to achieve pretty soon. Number of ways to have this done.

Getting a player like Bresciano and Charisteas to the club attracts people. Doing initiatives like I stated above attracts people. Together a snowball like effect takes place. The number of people in Melbourne that follow the A League would be less than 10% and that is being generous. There is a huge market out there. The club and we as fans need to see this. Football brings people together. It is the Worlds game. So we should target anyone and everyone. Everyone deserves Football. So the club shouldnt just be doing community gigs to soccer clubs as such, but throw an Art expo and get all the Arts people involved in the club. Sponsor an Academic achievement night at LaTrobe and get behind that to get people who have no interest in sport interested in sports through us.

Stop thinking we are small and having a minimalist attitude. Get out there and think massive.

Posted this in another thread. Think it applies here. If we want to grow, the club and the fans need to roll up the sleeves and get dirty. There shouldn't be a specific target to get, the next person you see is a potential Heart member. Who are we to decide that a certain category of people deserve football? Shit, everyone deserves football. What I am saying is bring and target anyone to a game and you may surprised who falls in love with the club. The club shouldn't only be restricting targeting junior clubs and football people. Melbourne is massive, target everyone who will listen. Same applies with fans. Don't look at particular types of people, bring along anyone who you know. Football is the greatest game on earth. Let it do the selling. Just keep inviting people.

Posted this in another thread. Think it applies here. If we want to grow, the club and the fans need to roll up the sleeves and get dirty. There shouldn't be a specific target to get, the next person you see is a potential Heart member. Who are we to decide that a certain category of people deserve football? Shit, everyone deserves football. What I am saying is bring and target anyone to a game and you may surprised who falls in love with the club. The club shouldn't only be restricting targeting junior clubs and football people. Melbourne is massive, target everyone who will listen. Same applies with fans. Don't look at particular types of people, bring along anyone who you know. Football is the greatest game on earth. Let it do the selling. Just keep inviting people.

shit just got real.

10%20shit%20just%20got%20real.jpg

but in all seriousness, that made my day. never thought my mum would be so involved, but i started liking heart the year when i started playing football and this encouraged her to come along. this year she has a membership.... who would have thought!!??!

every game i get 3-4 players to tag along!

ive got a mate who ive taken to a couple of games and he is interested now and wants to buy a membership next season but he isnt sure how many games he could get to, and i think that is the problem for many people because will they go to enough games during the season to justify buying it

A flash mob and/or viral marketing which has a little to do with the club but not too much. Let it get around first and then slap the clubs name onto the back of it. A perfect example of this would be:

quicksilver ended up putting their name at the end of it once it had enough media coverage & I'm sure wecould come up with something wayyyy better.

- Extend the members-only pre-sale period for home derbies, and let people purchase the tickets they actually want, not have to take the so-called ‘best-available.’

On an unrelated note - i discovered this year if you go to a ticketek outlet you can choose the seats you want.

I also found a bug in the ticketek seat upgrade procedure that lets you upgrade from GA to A premium for nothing.

- that was my value add for the derbies :)

On an unrelated note - i discovered this year if you go to a ticketek outlet you can choose the seats you want.

I also found a bug in the ticketek seat upgrade procedure that lets you upgrade from GA to A premium for nothing.

- that was my value add for the derbies :)

very nice with the free upgrade, hopefully that bug is still there for next derby

the kids memeberships were great prices but the adult memberships were too expensive in my opinion because the didnt offer much. Here is a comparison of the heart,victory,rebels and storm

Team

No of home games

GA

Prem A

Membership

Merchandise

Other options of seating

Heart

K-$37.50 A-$180

K-$225 A-$495

None

Prem B (wing but not central, level 1)Active support

K-Kids

A-Adult

Sorry for my weird coding, central means near the centre line and not central is near the try line or goal line.

It seems that as the storm is the biggest and oldest club, they have the ability to have great value. The rebels are very expensive in my opinion considering there are only 8 games.

The victory and heart are very similar in terms of prices but the victory does have more options at Etihad as well and for families and different aged people.

The thing that heart needs for me is a free members SCARF.

Edited by True Until I die

hi guys,

havent really posted much on here but this is an important topic and i feel that i need to contribute.

been a heart member since day 1

never really followed victory and the a-league and when heart came along, i felt something for the club.

beign the underdog, small club ect, i fell inlove and became a member and a die-hard fan.

currently me and 8 of my friends/gf/friends gf are members.

to get more members i think that the club needs to define itself geographically.

they train in the north in la trobe, yet do not do anything in the local media to make people feel that they are a part of the local community.

i live 10mins from la trobe and you wouldnt know any better if you didnt follow the a-league.

they need to make people aware that a profesional sporting club is based so close to them and make people feel that they need to support them as they are

the 'local side'

im a fan of preston (old nsl) now state 2 club.

they used to attract large crowds in comparisson to the league for a number of years. they do not attract these crowds anymore as they have dropped but where are those fans now?

i hardly see any at heart games and when i bump into some of them, they claim to be heart fans but dont go.

heart need to define themself as a north, east and south east club and get those fans along.

they need to associate themselvse with old nsl clubs and get those fans to unite as one

if you look at:

south

knights

preston

you have combined 15k-20k fans there. if you can get 10% of them (1500-2000) to get along to heart games, automatically u increase ur fan base.

one of the reasons i didnt follow victory from the start is that they neglected old nsl clubs and old soccer, i didnt feel a part of it.

heart made me feel like i can love soccer again, why cant it go further and associate yourself with those old clubs and unite them.

i remember when carlton sc came and played at epping stadium a fews years back and attracted a crowd of 7k,

why cant heart play a match at epping stadium and attract those old soccer fans. give them a taste of heart and they may want to join and see more.

they will all see how the standard, stadium and the runnings of the clubs have improved from the nsl and may enjoy the friendly atmosphere that is heart.

anyway, enough from me for noe.

look forward to the discussions

• Like 1

There's anywhere between 10,000 and 20,000 students at La Trobe. This is an ideal source of new fans and potential members, but I can garuntee you at least 80% of students either do not know that Heart exist, or if they do, they don't even know that Heart's headquarters are at the university. That is an absolute joke. The exposure at the university has been minimal at best and in my opinion the opportunity to engage those that go to La Trobe has been wasted thus far. Get some signage up around the uni and actually make students aware of membership deals available. Do this throughout theyear and maybe then we'll have an extra couple of thousand members next season.

There's anywhere between 10,000 and 20,000 students at La Trobe. This is an ideal source of new fans and potential members, but I can garuntee you at least 80% of students either do not know that Heart exist, or if they do, they don't even know that Heart's headquarters are at the university. That is an absolute joke. The exposure at the university has been minimal at best and in my opinion the opportunity to engage those that go to La Trobe has been wasted thus far. Get some signage up around the uni and actually make students aware of membership deals available. Do this throughout theyear and maybe then we'll have an extra couple of thousand members next season.

Lawl, so you haven't driven past the uni or around the area have you? Haven't seen the massive billboards with Taseski? Missed out on the games on the simpson lawn?

On every poster board, there is a large coloured poster that talks about the links between us and the university. Even if those fucking marxism flyers have covered most, you would have seen atleast one. On top of that, I'm almost certain that students can get heavily discounted memberships. The uni football team will play multiple matches against the Heart squad, and the clubrooms obviously have a Heart presence. You have to be blind to not know about them.

At the end of the day, it's still a university, and the majority of students could not give a fuck about us, and never will. The club can't really do anymore, unless they are going to paint their logo on the side of every building.

To demonstrate my point, I'm studying sport management, which offers an internship with the club to the top students. However, I haven't met one person yet who is aiming for that, despite the fact the offer was the main reason I went to La Trobe. Most people just aren't interested.

Lawl, so you haven't driven past the uni or around the area have you? Haven't seen the massive billboards with Taseski? Missed out on the games on the simpson lawn?

On every poster board, there is a large coloured poster that talks about the links between us and the university. Even if those fucking marxism flyers have covered most, you would have seen atleast one. On top of that, I'm almost certain that students can get heavily discounted memberships. The uni football team will play multiple matches against the Heart squad, and the clubrooms obviously have a Heart presence. You have to be blind to not know about them.

At the end of the day, it's still a university, and the majority of students could not give a fuck about us, and never will. The club can't really do anymore, unless they are going to paint their logo on the side of every building.

To demonstrate my point, I'm studying sport management, which offers an internship with the club to the top students. However, I haven't met one person yet who is aiming for that, despite the fact the offer was the main reason I went to La Trobe. Most people just aren't interested.

Just to clarify, I am a student at Latrobe and drive in 3 days a week. must admit i haven't seen the taseski billboards.. will look abit harder. Maybe the route i take doesn't go past them. I was part of a southern uni games team and we did play a pre season game against the heart which was fantastic and was a major contributing factor to getting me on board.

Yes the club does do a 3 game membership for La Trobe students, but the only way to be notified about this offer is if you're already on Heart's mailing list. why not get La Trobe to notify all students, even those who aren't aware of Heart's existence, of the offer via Email?

Also, the clubrooms are far removed from the Agora where most students hang out. my mate had an awesome idea the other day. why not have a small merchandise store in the agora, or even just make a deal with the La Trobe uni store that sells the hoodies and stuff so Heart can sell jerseys and other stuff from there?

I was abit harsh. Yes Heart are making an effort to engage the students. But surely more can, and should be done if we are serious about reaching our membership targets.

heart need to define themself as a north, east and south east club and get those fans along.

they need to associate themselvse with old nsl clubs and get those fans to unite as one

Agree and love most of your post except for these 2 points.

1. Almost every one knows when the city is split its North/West Vs. South/East ... OR 'This side of the Yarra' Vs. 'That side'.

Personally I've noticed a slight natural geographical split starting to emerge.

Naturally, we should be market around the Altona, St. Albans, Essendon, Broadmedows, Epping, Greensborough, Thornbury areas, With Ballarat, Gellong and Sheperton as our main riegonal centers, not fucking Morwell and the Mornington Peninsula

2. It's pretty hard, and risky to try align or associate yourselves with these older clubs for a few reasons:

- It will alienate supporters/former supporters of other clubs.

- It discourages those who were once opposed to the NSL.

- Even with the right intentions, many will be skeptical - seeing it as a gimmick.

- Eventually, it will slowly consume and destroy these smaller clubs that we have come to love and want to preserve, etc...

Other than cash, what do we actually get from our sponsorships?

Our major sponsor is Westpac. When I go into my local Westpac branch, do I see anything about Melbourne Heart? No. Should at least be an advertisement for the club, fixture list, and a flyer about membership that Westpac customers can take if they wish to do so.

Don't know about the other club sponsors - they all seem a bit obscure to me.

Should at least be an advertisement for the club, fixture list, and a flyer about membership that Westpac customers can take if they wish to do so.

Hmmm, get paid to advertise, interesting...

Yes the club does do a 3 game membership for La Trobe students, but the only way to be notified about this offer is if you're already on Heart's mailing list. why not get La Trobe to notify all students, even those who aren't aware of Heart's existence, of the offer via Email?

my mate had an awesome idea the other day. why not have a small merchandise store in the agora, or even just make a deal with the La Trobe uni store that sells the hoodies and stuff so Heart can sell jerseys and other stuff from there?

I didn't know how the memberships worked, I just knew an offer was available. Seems stupid not telling anyone. The merchandise idea is very good, you should try contact the club about it. From what I know we don't have a dedicated merchandise store except for matchdays? No need for an entire store, but a couple of scarves and jumpers in the La Trobe shop would be enough.

I was abit harsh. Yes Heart are making an effort to engage the students. But surely more can, and should be done if we are serious about reaching our membership targets.

I don't think targeting a market that is notorious for having little expendable cash is a solid marketing model. Go for that age bracket for sure, but don't specifically focus on students.

Also, did you play under Ivan? Don't happen to be playing this year do you?

Doing a geographical split at this stage is wrong, if the club was going to represent a certain area of the city it should have been chosen before the club started playing.

LOLed, exactly what I was thinking.

Edited by Tesla

I didn't know how the memberships worked, I just knew an offer was available. Seems stupid not telling anyone. The merchandise idea is very good, you should try contact the club about it. From what I know we don't have a dedicated merchandise store except for matchdays? No need for an entire store, but a couple of scarves and jumpers in the La Trobe shop would be enough.

I don't think targeting a market that is notorious for having little expendable cash is a solid marketing model. Go for that age bracket for sure, but don't specifically focus on students.

Also, did you play under Ivan? Don't happen to be playing this year do you?

Yeah I did play under Ivan. Would have liked to this year but can't unfortunately due to other commitments.