Melbourne Football

Week 24: Melbourne v Sydney FC - Mar 17 - 7:45pm

Hammerhead

Hope to see Goodwin & Behich start on the left.

Behich needs to get rid of the ball earlier if his going to be given more midfield duties...

We know it looks great when he runs the ball halfway down the field but it’s just a waste of an great opportunity if the ball does not find itself at another Heart player's feet.

Edited by cadete

Melbourne Heart squad:

1. Clint Bolton (gk), 2. Michael Marrone, 3. Brendan Hamill, 4. Simon Colosimo, 5. Fred ©, 6. Matt Thompson, 7. Rutger Worm, 10.Wayne Srhoj, 11. Alex Terra, 13. Jonatan Germano, 15. David Williams, 16. Aziz Behich, 17. Jason Hoffman, 18. Curtis Good, 19. Eli Babalj, 23. Mate Dugandzic, 27. Craig Goodwin, 30. Sebastian Mattei (gk)

*three to be omitted*

My take:

----------------------------------------------------------------Eli Babalj----------------------------------------------------------------

Alex Terra-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Mate Dugandzic

---------------------------------------Fred ©----------------------------------------------Matt Thompson--------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------Wayne Shroj---------------------------------------------------------------

Aziz Behich------------------------------Curtis Good--------------Simon Colosimo--------------------------Michael Marrone

------------------------------------------------------------Clint Bolton----------------------------------------------------------------

Subs -

Sebastian Mattei (GK)

Craig Goodwin

Rutger Worm

Jonathan Germano

Omitted - Jason Hoffman, Brendan Hamill & David Williams

You would be better starting Worm over Terra, purely for Terra's off the bench impact.

Further, Behich should play up on the wing where Terra/Worm is, play Goodwin at left back. Sub on Terra for Goodwin and put Aziz back to left back and Terra up on left wing.

Further, Behich should play up on the wing where Terra/Worm is, play Goodwin at left back. Sub on Terra for Goodwin and put Aziz back to left back and Terra up on left wing.

This one, or as I suggested in some other game thread, Start the terra/behich combo and then bring on goodwin to switch to the behich/goodwin combo, with behich moving to left wing

• Like 1

We blew whatever chance we had last Saturday!

FFS what a wasted opportunity, a 1-0 win would have had us 3 points behind, on the same GD (+2) with a game in hand...

However, Football is fucked, so you never know big chance Welly could draw or lose that last game opening up a window for us.

We need a couple of wins of course.

Edited by LR9

Look this is a sign of why we will struggle in the finals series, we can't finish teams off, AT ALL!

I was so shattered, we played really well in 1st half and Fred and Dugandzic caused so many problems for Sydney.

It was like a completely dis-interested team came out in the 2nd half, thought that the game was won when it wasn't.

Thank goodness for Bolton as a couple of his saves kept us alive, now lets beat Adelaide next week

Well through to the finals (thanks Roar). But games like this show why we off the pace of the leaders in the comp. Coughing up a 2 nil lead to a bottom 4 side- top teams don't do that.

This was a bitterly disappointing result. The game was ours for the taking but we panicked, went negative and started to make mistakes at the back. In all my years of watching football I have never seen a side pass the ball backwards as often as Heart - even free-kicks. This just has to stop next season. Also messing about with the ball in defence - almost cost us the match. So many passes went astray - Thompson again the worst culprit. Sydney so much cleaner and faster on the ball in the second half. TBH, don't think we deserve a place in the play-offs on this showing.

Edited by jw1739

Poor second half from us, I'm puzzled by JVS's half time instructions. We seemed to just sit very deep and play a zonal defence, it just looked like a matter of time before we conceded....

First half was good, really we just played the same game plan as last time, draw Sydley out and get behind their slow defence. Clearly they were going to adjust in the second half and did, we just seemed to think that more of the same was going to work when we needed to press and score early. Blew a great chance to a very ordinary team who were made to look good. Disappointing.

This was a bitterly disappointing result. The game was ours for the taking but we panicked, went negative and started to make mistakes at the back. In all my years of watching football I have never seen a side pass the ball backwards as often as Heart - even free-kicks. This just has to stop next season. Also messing about with the ball in defence - almost cost us the match. So many passes went astray - Thompson again the worst culprit. Sydney so much cleaner and faster on the ball in the second half. TBH, don't think we deserve a place in the play-offs on this showing.

I agree with all of that.

Going forward, what worries me is that this team is disfunctional without Fred, who is a 50-50 prospect of playing 90 minutes, and will be a year older next season.

Just really poor. That's all you can say. Players let themselves down and the instructions to sit deep, or play that slow tempo crap in the second half was embarrassing.

We mad ethe finals and it's a step in the right direction, but really, I am non plussed about the performance.

When you are two nil up at home, you do not sit back. You go for that third. Just inviting teams in to bombard our penalty area is disgusting.