Melbourne Football

ACL

LR9

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Sydney finished third in their Group so do not progress to the next stage of the competition.

I could joke about how Sydney are the best team the A-League has ever seen, but realistically it just shows how shit the league is in general and how we've fallen so far behind.

2 hours ago, haz said:

I could joke about how Sydney are the best team the A-League has ever seen, but realistically it just shows how shit the league is in general and how we've fallen so far behind.

Not sure about that - Buriram qualified out of their group and Kitchee (!) and got nearly as many points as Melbourne Victory, my personal opinion is most teams still treat it as a bit of a giggle due to when it occurs in our season.

45 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Not sure about that - Buriram qualified out of their group and Kitchee (!) and got nearly as many points as Melbourne Victory, my personal opinion is most teams still treat it as a bit of a giggle due to when it occurs in our season.

That's the one good thing about CFG, that we know (unofficially) they want success in Asia and will take is as seriously as possible.

6 hours ago, Tommykins said:

IMO this is more like it - we just don't treat it seriously enough. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fixtures will have to be pushed back. No idea how this plays out.  

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/ffa-statement-relation-afc-champions-league-2020-match-day-1-fixtures

Edit: They've pushed back the fixtures against the Chinese clubs.

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/ffa-welcomes-revision-afc-champions-league-2020-match-dates

Edited by Harrison

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Nate said:

sad reflection of our league atm when the A-League's best team by a mile gets dismantled like that.

(still love it though)

Did not watch the game but Sydney never do well in the ACL. The refs have not been told to give them the game. Don't forget that two seasons ago the smurfs had so few free kicks given against them that it became embarrassing (and probably close to triggering an AFP investigation) that for the last six rounds the refs had to go so hard against them in order to bring their tally close to the ballpark.

3 hours ago, belaguttman said:

We'll never do well in ACL whilst we have small squad sizes and a salary cap that isn't far larger

It's not only that. Our clubs just don't play enough football. And I don't necessarily agree with the upper limitation of the salary cap - what IMO could be more limiting is that we have to pay  a minimum % of the cap to what is mostly a collection of journeyman players who have a relatively comfortable existence playing one match a week for six months of the year.

IMO there are so many aspects about the A-League that need to be addressed that I don't know that anyone knows where to start. We should already know now what the parameters for the next few seasons are going to be - maybe the clubs do but I doubt it. 

Edited by jw1739

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Any thoughts or rumours about thIs competition?

im assuming it won’t restart till at least 2022, what with border closures, quarantine requirements and Covid outbreaks 

The AFC are looking at using hubs for the 2021 competition. I can't see a hub in Australia, so in all probability we won't get to see City play.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/09/26/soccer/asian-champions-league-2021/

Just our luck, isn't it?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw the highlights (well until it got too boring) of Cerezo vs Vittel Kobe.

Things I noted:

Cerezo have 2 imports as their centre backs.

Midfielder Fujita (#5) likes his long range shots and also has a Rory Delap style long throw in.

Sakamoto (#17) scored a nice one on one.

The game wasn’t great to watch, Cerezo were away and were content to sit in their own half and wait for their chance on the counter.

They currently sit 9th (of 20).