Melbourne Football

ACL

LR9

Brisbane are shit, they expect to play their game which won't work in the champions league, especially against teams from the top leagues like tonight. cbf getting sources but i'm sure that's the first time in ages Brisbane has had that little possession.

but yeah imo most of these Asian teams are LIGHT years ahead of anything seen in this country. brisbane having no plan B will really show in the champs league as it has done in many games in the a-league

Central Coast and Adelaide will do better than Brisbane because they will play to our league's strengths; power and strength

Edited by yelawolf

When I turned on the Adelaide, I felt like I was watching a match in the 80s or 90s, the camera was terrible, the grass was nearly lime & it didn't fit to scale on my tv rofl.

Anyways, Brisbane were disappointing thought they would win easily against Tokyo, good win for Adelaide, but Pohang & Gamba will make for a tough group.

When I turned on the Adelaide, I felt like I was watching a match in the 80s or 90s, the camera was terrible, the grass was nearly lime & it didn't fit to scale on my tv rofl.

And they had the kits to mach ;)

Looked baggy and old school as fuck.

• Like 1

I am still absolutely bemused by the fact one of the best A-League sides lost at home and yet another team, who is 2nd from bottom travels half the globe to play in nearing freezing conditions and wins against a strong home side.

Welcome to football.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I only recently became aware that part of the prize money that each club wins from the ACL is taken from them by our honorable masters, the FFA and split between the FFA and the other the clubs. I personally love this system and will continue to love it up until the point in time when Melbourne qualifies for the ACL, and then all the other clubs can get fucked. Anyway, the Money is split like this:

70% to the participating club

5% to the FFA

3.125% to each of the other 8 Australian Clubs

And prize money is allocated as follows:

Group stages:

Win: $40,000

Draw: $20,000

Loss: $0

Round of 16:

Participation: $50,000

Quarter-finals:

Participation: $80,000

Semi-finals:

Participation: $120,000

Final:

Champions: $1.5 million

Runners-up: $750,000

Knowing all this I was curious to see how much free money from our direct rivals we've received for doing nothing. Here’s the breakdown:

Brisbane

Group Stage: 0 wins 3 draws

Prize Money: $60,000

Melbourne Heart’s cut: $1,875

Central Coast Mariners

Group Stage: 1 win 3 draws

Prize Money: $100,000

Melbourne Heart’s cut: $3,125

Adelaide United

Group Stage: 4 wins 1 draw

Round of 16 participation

Future Quarter Final participation

Prize Money: $310,000

Melbourne Heart’s cut: $9,687.50

Total Prize Money: $470,000

Melbourne Heart’s total cut: $14,687.50

That's 15k for nothing. Club must be happy. From here, if they beat Bunyodkor we'll get another $3,750 and if they win their Semi Final from there we'll get either another $23,437.50 or $46,875 depending on how they go in the final. So if they win the thing we'll be pocketing a total of $65,312 for finishing 8th out of 11 in the 2010/11 season.

'Mon the Reds!

• Like 4

I only recently became aware that part of the prize money that each club wins from the ACL is taken from them by our honorable masters, the FFA and split between the FFA and the other the clubs. I personally love this system and will continue to love it up until the point in time when Melbourne qualifies for the ACL, and then all the other clubs can get fucked. Anyway, the Money is split like this:

5% to the FFA

Group stages:

Round of 16:

Quarter-finals:

Semi-finals:

Final:

Knowing all this I was curious to see how much free money from our direct rivals we've received for doing nothing. Here’s the breakdown:

Brisbane

Central Coast Mariners

Adelaide United

That's 15k for nothing. Club must be happy. From here, if they beat Bunyodkor we'll get another $3,750 and if they win their Semi Final from there we'll get either another $23,437.50 or $46,875 depending on how they go in the final. So if they win the thing we'll be pocketing a total of $65,312 for finishing 8th out of 11 in the 2010/11 season.

'Mon the Reds!

Prefer them to lose, bunch of fucken Muzza's.

5% to the FFA

Group stages:

Round of 16:

Quarter-finals:

Semi-finals:

Final:

Brisbane

Central Coast Mariners

Adelaide United

'Mon the Reds!

Its not enough. All their prize money should be split between all the A-League clubs, 10% each. in fact, they should get none, and the other clubs get it all, 11.1% each, while they get the prestige of playing in a continental tournament.

In fact, all prize money should be abolished, lets donate it to starving kids in Africa.

And while we are at it, lets get rid of points/trophies/titles/any form of competition. We dont need to have winners and losers, lets just play for fun :)

Football needs more left wing policies like these pls.

I dont know about you guys but i hope that any a-league club who makes the ACL do very well (except for victory obviously, if they make it i hope they get smashed) it can only benfeit our game, if Adelaide win it good on them, our league isnt quite good enough to not want aussie teams to win as it can only benefit the whole league.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have just read Michael Lynch's piece in theage.com.au where he says:

"The argument about who should get direct entry to the ACL - the premiership winner or the grand final champion - is for another day. My personal preference is for the premier in recognition of the efforts over a season, but local conditions and tastes make that a discussion worth having."

Read more: http://www.theage.co...l#ixzz2EPiY4yWq

I agree generally with what he has to say. Although I would like more Aussie teams in the ACL, only because it would make it easier for Heart to qualify.

As for having the argument another day, I thought why wait? And so here it is on the leading "think tank" of Australian Football.

What do you think, should the premier or the grand final winner have Australia's automatic place in the ACL?

Edited by Peter

Unquestionably it should be the Premiers. Having six teams playing off in 'finals' in a ten-team league is a farce, and the ACF has recognised that and acted accordingly.

We need to move to an extended season as soon as possible - say 36 games - to make the Premiership even more creditable. Could be done with a shortish extension plus a handful of mid-week games.

Having an off-season of six months is one of the reasons why we get no traction with the media.

• Like 1

I agree that season needs to be extended jw, but it must be kept on hold until we have more teams in the comp. Because playing CCM or Newcastle 4+ times a season is one of the most unappealing things I can think of. If we brought in the best four options of Townsville, Canberra, Wollongong, Hobart, Launceston, Gold Coast, 3rd Melbourne, 3rd Sydney, 2nd Brisbane, 2nd Perth, 2nd Adelaide, Geelong, Cairns and Darwin we could have a 39 game season plus finals quite easily without it getting boring.

I agree that season needs to be extended jw, but it must be kept on hold until we have more teams in the comp. Because playing CCM or Newcastle 4+ times a season is one of the most unappealing things I can think of.

Excellent point.

The sad thing about the list of possible additional teams is that two of them - Townsville and Gold Coast - could still be in the competition if FFA had not been so bloody minded. Singapore wanted to take over Townsville, but this was vetoed by FFA - who only three years later allowed Indonesian interests to take complete ownership of Brisbane. And we all know what happened with GCU. We might not have liked Clive Palmer, but there was no need for Frank Lowy's personal spat with him - just childish on both their parts IMO.

Wollongong and Canberra would be my nominations to take us to 12 teams.

• Like 1

I don't mind the idea of playing each club twice at home for the moment, until the league expands. At least this would give us more games which should keep players sharper and so give us a higher standard than the sluggish start we have now. It would also mean that supporters don't drift away as it is easy to loose interest when there is no news and no action. The break between seasons is much shorter overseas and even the AFL dominate the media with pre-season games etc.

As I have posted elsewhere, the off season is too long and the season too short.

Including the likes of NQ, Gold Coast, Canberra and Wollongong and Geelong would give us greater options and give our talented players more opportunities to play competitive matches.

The A-League needs to back and promote it's "product" if Australia is going to be a force in Asia. With the youngsters coming through and the marquee's being signed, the future could be very exciting if we play our cards right.

I'd much rather see FFA and various governments put their spare cash into expanding our League competition than putting it into these exhibition matches that's for sure. Nothing against the clubs involved, but in the past I went to such matches here - Manchester United, West Ham and an Italian side (I think Inter) - and they were the ultimate in boredom, and I vowed I would never again go to watch such matches especially when played on an AFL ground where it's pretty much like watching TV through the wrong end of a telescope.

I'd much rather see FFA and various governments put their spare cash into expanding our League competition than putting it into these exhibition matches that's for sure. Nothing against the clubs involved, but in the past I went to such matches here - Manchester United, West Ham and an Italian side (I think Inter) - and they were the ultimate in boredom, and I vowed I would never again go to watch such matches especially when played on an AFL ground where it's pretty much like watching TV through the wrong end of a telescope.

AC Milan at Princes Park with Tony Vidmar scoring an own goal as a recall. I also decided not to go to another one of these select team v overseas club on holiday matches.

I would also like to see the league expanded. NRL and AFL have gone into "foreign" and regional territory and made it work, why not the A-League?

• 1 month later...