Melbourne Football

Heart stadium

Huzie

We don;t have to buy the stadium, just the naming rights. Wouldn't it be funny if we bought the naming rights and called it "Melbourne Heart No 1 Stadium" and then Victory had to play there. :)

I like the concept but 'AAMI' still have the rights for another 6 more years.

We do. The next Ricmond train is usually only 3 minutes on the next platform. No probs. But then it goes through Flinders first. And waits 15 minutes at Flinder St. So we 1. sit and wait 2. walk or 3. take a punt on a tram.

The richmond train from SC never goes to flinders for me, goes through the loop and then on to richmond. Thats why I change at SC because its the fastest way to get to parliament and therefore the imperial.

• 3 weeks later...

saw from a scum fan on fb, that AAMI was getting upgraded to 55k (which is nearly impossible) and that heart will have a new stadium on the other side of the yarra. i love aami but i rather have a place to call home than watch victory playing at aami

Would be extremely surprised if this happened just because it would be impossible to fit anymore seats into Aami Park.

If this happened I probably wouldn't want to play at Aami anymore, just because of the fact that we would only fill 1/6 at most, and would look not all that good.

saw from a scum fan on fb, that AAMI was getting upgraded to 55k (which is nearly impossible) and that heart will have a new stadium on the other side of the yarra. i love aami but i rather have a place to call home than watch victory playing at aami

What a load of BS. Apart from the fact that the roof design limits any expansion at AAMI, where exactly on the other side of the yarra is he proposing this stadium is built? And who would fund such an absurd plan?

Edited by Caganer

What a load of BS. Apart from the fact that the roof design limits any expansion at AAMI, where exactly on the other side of the yarra is he proposing this stadium is built? And who would fund such an absurd plan?

Lol. Tinkler/Palmer perhaps?!? Ahhahahahaha

Other side?? Meh, too easy. The flog forgot to mention it's going Dubai style and will be built on the water with see thru grass as the pitch. The other tender is proposing something much more exciting. Imagine a blow up jumping castle but of stadium like proportions that can obviously be inflated as needed so not to ruin the dragon boat racing for moomba.

Something will be built over the train tracks between flinders and richmond at some point in time, good location for any new stadium built in this city if they want to keep it amongst/near the sports and entertainment district, looks to be enough room for it without much disruption to other buildings on either side of batman avenue bridge. Though I dont see the point of having 2 rectangular stadiums there, just thinking out loud that it would be a better use of the area than office buildings or whatever else they would build there (last I heard they were planning to use the area for an Olympic Village as part of the potential Melbourne 2024 Olympic bid).

On the other side of the yarra, from AAMI I assume, you would sturggle to find a spot. Unless by other side of yarra you mean the west side of melbourne, as thats what I generally think of when I hear such a term, then thats easy.

Dunno why I am entertaining this, I dont see such a scenario occurring. But it certainly is possible if there was enough intent to do it.

Edited by Tesla

AAMI park was specifically designed for football (and rugby), and it serves its purpose really well in that sense. Seating is great, spacious, covered area (though no retractable roof like Etihad) and it's easy access. Plus AAMI's logo is red and white, coincidence?

I'm just shitted that we have to share it with Victory as their "home ground". You guys have Etihad, seriously, fuck off.

Capacity (from wikipedia)

The stadium was initially proposed to have a seating capacity of 20,000, upgradeable to 25,000. This was due to both expected demand, as well as a state government agreement with Docklands Stadium that no stadiums with a capacity greater than 30,000 would be constructed in Melbourne before 2010. These plans were revised after the Melbourne Victory refused to commit to playing at a stadium of such small capacity, having achieved an average attendance of over 27,000 since their move to the Docklands Stadium in the 2006–07 A-League Season.

Alternative plans put forward by the Victorian Government proposed a capacity of 30,050, on the condition that the Victory sign on as a tenant. An agreement was reached and the stadium went ahead at this capacity.[13] To assist with the extended capacity, temporary stands can be erected behind the goals during soccer matches and removed during rugby league games so as to allow space for the in-goal area. Although the stadium was built with foundations to allow for future expansion to 50,000,[14] the roof was not designed with this in mind and so the stadium cannot be expanded without major construction work.[15]

300px-Melbourne_Rectangular_Stadium_from_city.JPG

Rather than start a new thread thought i would tack this on to this one.

523807_356295801085350_162258400489092_796471_1601529104_n.jpg

Supposed price per games for all a-league clubs (Taken from The Beautiful Game FB)

would at 60k a game it be worth creating our own stadium or at that price should we be looking at other alternatives as we pay twice of what CCM and the Jets do.

Edited by Hammerhead

That has to be BS, because we pay less then MV to use the MRS (as we dont open tier 3) and Etihad is a 'far more lucrative deal that' than MRS (and no, it has nothing to do with the fact it's 15k bigger)

I also doubt that they would ALL be such rounded figures.

would at 60k a game it be worth creating our own stadium

Nope.

Even assuming the most optimal conditions, creating our own stadium would have to cost at most about $7mil for it to be worthwhile.

Assuming less optimal conditions, it would have to cost even less to be viable.

Edited by Tesla

Perth are getting reemed...

Just about to say this. I'm unsure why its so expensive as it looks pretty ordinary on the tv when I've seen Perth home games. For that sort of money I would want a pretty special ground.

Anyway, sad to see that the state government makes out how they are supporting football, rugby and league by funding the stadium then nearly bankrupts the teams by charging them these ridiculous leasing amounts. I hear the Rebels are struggling financially as well and they have pretty decent crowds.

I wonder how long our current deal goes for. Maybe we can negotiate a better deal, especially if all the codes stand together and tell the organization running the stadium to fuck off if there isn't a substantial discount.

Supposedly perth have to pay about 400k a season in hiring a temporary Screen as NIB doesn't have one there.

Will be getting one put in with the renovations next year which should help alleviate some of the cost per game for them.

Edited by Hammerhead

I would think that stadium facilities and costs would be high on the agenda of the new Joint A-League Steering Committee, of which Heart Chairman Peter Sidwell is a member. [No pun intended on the use of the word 'high'!]

The FFA is partly to blame by setting high standards that must be met before it will sanction A-League games at a venue.

But, basically, sports clubs are being held to ransom by unhelpful governments, who hold a monopoly. To move forward the FFA and the clubs are going to have to think outside the box.

should just worry about building a successful culture and fan base first...

find it hard to believe we'd ever go down this route tbh... there's a reason you don't see any Victorian AFL teams bar Geelong with their own ground anymore...

find it hard to believe we'd ever go down this route tbh... there's a reason you don't see any Victorian AFL teams bar Geelong with their own ground anymore...

Not trying to be smart or anything, but enlighten me on why no AFL teams own their own stadiums and why it wouldn't one day work for us.

It's not feasible to have a stadium that hosts a single game once a fortnight that would cater to only a smallish crowd... the upkeep on maintenance alone would prove to become a loss in itself. Therefore many of the Victorian teams home grounds became derelict and even beyond repair to the point where they were essentially condemned. The ground itself would have to be hosting other events to ensure financial stability and with that many other stadia options existing why would you choose a 15,000 seat one? And then what happens in the off season?

I say concentrate on securing a government grant and further corporate sponsorship. Work on building state of the art facilities at la trobe, perhaps with a playing pitch with low budget standing room terrace for 'exhibition' games. The club should be working on fan engagement and development and look to fill AAMI park match day rather than build a small stadium to accommodate low numbers. It would essentially be saying that's the cap we're happy with it. Play attractive football, be successful and increase awareness through advertisement. Maybe the club should look at developing a second active support area at the swan st end and seek out potential interest separate and independent of the yarraside?

• Like 1

Just to clarify...if you meant that Geelong Football Club owns its own ground...they don't. Simonds Stadium, as it is now called, is owned by the City of Greater Geelong. Geelong FC is the only tenant.

Just to clarify...if you meant that Geelong Football Club owns its own ground...they don't. Simonds Stadium, as it is now called, is owned by the City of Greater Geelong. Geelong FC is the only tenant.

Yeah I just meant they're not co-tennants with any other team.

• 1 month later...

I saw this posted on MHFC index a few days back. I thought it was some kind of joke. Apparently its not. Dont get me wrong I love AAMI park, but more culturally significant the Rose Bowl? More iconic than Old Trafford? You are kidding right?

AAMI Park named 'World’s Most Iconic and Culturally Significant Stadium'

http://www.architectureanddesign.com.au/article/AAMI-Park-named-World-s-Most-Iconic-and-Culturally-Significant-Stadium/534576.aspx#.T9AKFMMiXFQ.twitter