Melbourne Football

The Mombaerts Revolution

Harrison

Good post.

All I want to see is that we have recruited the right players for the right job, for the right tactics and strategies.

I want our visas to be played and all players to be played in their natural positions.

I want a manager that is flexible and reactive to our opposition's strengths and weaknesses and who allows players to show individual creativity.

For me last season was the line in the sand.

Basically this season needs to be everything that Wazza wasn't.

Mombaerts must equal anti-Wazza or I am done giving one more cent to this club.

58 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I want a manager that is flexible and reactive to our opposition's strengths and weaknesses and who allows players to show individual creativity.

I can't believe we haven't had a manger yet (of course we've only had ~4) who is flexible during a game. Nightmares of Joyce not using any subs, and if he did.... we would be subbing on a defender when the team was behind.

2 minutes ago, haz said:

I can't believe we haven't had a manger yet (of course we've only had ~4) who is flexible during a game. Nightmares of Joyce not using any subs, and if he did.... we would be subbing on a defender when the team was behind.

JVS was (flexible), just that he couldn't set up a team defensively.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

As we approach our first friendly of the pre-season and competitive match of the FFA Cup, I wanted to bring a bit of tactical discussion and analysis to the forum for those that are interested.

With the news that Erick Mombaerts had been appointed as our Head Coach for three seasons, we finally have a football brain in charge of Melbourne City; someone that has a clear conception of how the game should be played.

In his first interview, he spoke about his goal of developing our style of play into the City style of play. But what actually is that and how will it work at Melbourne? I'll discuss it below, but I want to stress that we don't know the extent to which Mombaerts will implement the City style of play, and we don't know if there are strict frameworks that coaches must adhere to. It's entirely possible that the City style is philosophically based, but I do think that Mombaerts will be striving to emulate Manchester City's style. 

Manchester City

The City style of play is presumably the style that Manchester City have been using to win countless Premier League titles. I say presumably because the template is not driven by CFG in a top-down manner, it's mainly driven by Manchester City and then adopted by CFG to be pushed to its other clubs like Melbourne and New York. It's no secret that Pep Guardiola has been able to spend staggering sums of money to build a formidable squad of players. But that's only part of it. Pep has Manchester City playing a very quick, attacking style of football, characterised by high possession counts, high shots on target, complex movement/interplay in the middle/attacking thirds and an extremely effective and complex counter-press. 

I don't want to go too heavily into these aspects because many of us watch the PL and know how exciting and attacking City are. Plus, it can become too technical and there are parts I don't understand very well. City always play out from the back, using diagonal balls both short and long and finding pockets of space really well. They also 'rest' in certain positions depending on where the ball is, instead of passively watching the play unfold, so that if they lose it they can execute their counter-press, which is where a team will 'press' the ball as a system as soon as they lose possession. It begins with the forward three players, who are very important in initiating the press and continues on with the midfield. If executed properly, the counter-press will force a turnover just after the team lost it, ideally in an even more dangerous position than where they lost it initially. 

Formation-wise, Pep has almost always used a 4-3-3 with two advanced central midfielders and a single pivot (usually Fernandinho). Sometimes he will change this depending on his opponents but the 4-3-3 is by far the most common and is favoured by most top teams. 

In terms of personnel, the average City player is technically flawless and spatially very aware. Some City players are very athletic depending on their role but all are comfortable on the ball (even Ederson their GK is very good with his feet) in tight spaces, adept at passing and proficient at shooting. Last season, City were able to rotate players in and out of the starting XI with no discernible drop-off in quality. Any player that comes into the XI is able to fit seamlessly into the system. 

Melbourne City

Now that I've summarised the City style of play, I want to apply it to our team and draw some similarities in terms of personnel. The biggest question that remains unanswered is what formation Mombaerts will use. Leaving aside the potential for him to change it during the season, it seems to me that he is likely to go with a 4-3-3. I'm basing this on his insistence that we will be playing the 'City way', but I'm conscious of the fact that Mombaerts strongly favoured a 4-2-3-1 in his time with YFM and that the 'style of play' can be replicated with a 4-2-3-1. 

The biggest difference are the two attacking midfielders and designated 10 versus the two wingers and two attacking 8s. It's really a difference in degree rather than kind, so it doesn't need to be analysed in depth here. Suffice it to say that a 4-2-3-1 favours players who are very comfortable on the ball in tight and that can pass between them very quickly and accurately, rather than a 4-3-3 which favours quicker wingers who operate a bit wider and cut in.

Our Starting XI

And this naturally brings me to our personnel, which suits a 4-3-3 quite well. I'll break it down by player, who I've chosen as the most likely to feature in a theoretical Mombaerts side (obviously this is IMO, it is likely to change in pre-season as they condition the players and form becomes a bit clearer):

Bouzanis: Even though Birighitti is a better keeper technically, Bouzanis is good with the ball at his feet and his distribution will allow for us to keep possession of the ball when we need to recycle it. He can also hit long diagonal passes very well for an A-League keeper. For this reason I think Bouzanis will be given the first match, provided he makes the saves he needs to and positions himself well.

Galloway/Jamieson: The two Scotts will probably play on the right and left and will need to very mobile. Manchester use their two fullbacks differently, but both will at times tuck in and play centrally as an extra midfielder, and the other will push very high. It tends to be Walker who pushes up and Delph who tucks in. How it will work with Jamieson and Galloway I'm not sure. I think Galloway will be the more expansive fullback.

Windbichler/Delbridge: Windbichler is exactly the kind of defender that we need for a possession-based style. He is very good on the ball and has experience as a midfielder. Delbridge will partner well with Windbichler, particularly because Delbridge is a dual-sided defender who can play the ball out. From what I've seen, Windbichler is a very solid defender, and we know that Delbridge is a commanding presence.  

Brillante: Brillante is made for this formation. A well-rounded player with good athleticism and a decent engine, he will find himself in between the defensive line and the two more advanced midfielders. Essentially, his role will be to 1) facilitate the movement of the ball from the back and be the link between defence and the midfield and 2) cover the other two midfielders and break up attacking movements. He will have a lot of possession in every match, but his role is not to create. His effectiveness will come from his retention of possession and marshalling/positioning of teammates in front of him. Fernandinho is his Manchester counterpart and Josh will model his game on him.

Berenguer/Luna: This is the most interesting part of the XI. I know that many City fans are wary of Berenguer and I am too. Joyce used him as a wide player in the 4-3-3, which didn't suit him at all. Berenguer does not shoot much, he does not score, he does not like to dribble past players and cut in. What he does do is find pockets of space, particularly in the half-space when it's free, and his two best assets are his touch and his vision, which is why he needs to be played centrally behind the striker. Naturally he likes to drift to where the ball is but I suspect Mombaerts will have him a bit more central and narrow, to allow the winger on his side enough space. I chose Luna as the other midfielder but this is a tricky one. Luna is comfortable out wide but from what I've seen of him he is actually quite a threat when played centrally. He is very neat on the ball, can dribble well and his passing and creativity are massive ticks in the midfielder box. Bernardo Silva is his closest Manchester counterpart.

Noone/Cabrera: Noone is an obvious pick for the wide role, as is Cabrera. Both are quick, natural wingers who like to cut in and shoot. These two will be a big part of our success because they will provide the width for the attacking midfielders and Maclaren. With Berenguer, Brillante and Luna as the playmakers, the wingers should be on the end of quite a few long diagonal passes, if we follow Manchester's style. This is where pace and vision/passing skill complement each other, and I think we've got two wide players who suit that method of chance creation.

Maclaren: The obvious and only real pick for the striking position. Manchester's striking options are world-class finishers of the ball. Maclaren is relatively speaking a very good finisher of the ball at this level, and this will be a big part of our success should we achieve it. Maclaren will need to be selfless if the system is to work, because the City system requires players to vacate space for others. Interplay is vital here, which is where Maclaren will have to improve.

Conclusion

If you're still with me, basically what I've hoped to say here is that we should be optimistic about this season. Being a Melbourne City fan hasn't been easy, and there have a been a few false dawns. But this time feels a bit different when you look objectively at the squad and how it's structured. Mombaerts will obviously be the biggest influence here, and we've already heard from Denis Genreau that the players have had quite a few video/tactical sessions before going out onto the pitch every day. Mombaerts is a tactician, so the most important part of his coaching is his ability to get across the tactical points of the system. Manchester under Pep are a very well-drilled, organised, disciplined unit. The level of skill between Manchester and Melbourne is obviously very different but the ability to cohere to a system is universal. If Mombaerts follows the City style of play developed by Pep Guardiola faithfully, we can look forward to a productive, successful season. 

I've come out of my forum posting hiatus specifically to compliment this excellent post.

Well done sir, I thoroughly enjoyed reading that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

I was wondering where you'd gone. Good to have you back.

Cheers mate, reading the continual crap posted over and over again on here finally did my head in and I had to have a break :)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rass said:

Cheers mate, reading the continual crap posted over and over again on here finally did my head in and I had to have a break :)

I don't think this close season has been as bad as previous ones. Perhaps because so much bile was expended and crap spoken during last season... 

• Like 2

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/mombaerts-citys-progress-ahead-schedule

Here’s an article from last night. The game will be three 40 minute thirds and he’ll play the strongest XI for 80 minutes. He talks a lot about the City style of play, without going into specifics obviously, but you can see the level of detail and preparation. 

Some quotes...

“We have worked a lot about some game principles, more offensively than defensively so I want to see what is the level of understanding about what we have set up,” Mombaerts said about his expectation in Tuesday night’s match.

“It’s about the offensive game principles, about positioning, about a lot of new things and they now have to put them on the field against an opponent.”

“If I compare with my last experience in Japan [coaching Yokohama F. Marinos], I think we are in advance, physically but more tactically about the City style of play we want to set up.”

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Fucken lol

"He's got a very stylish dress sense," (Mombaerts) midfield recruit Josh Brillante told Football Nation Radio. "Apparently when he [first] rocked up, he was wearing a long black suit, and a big top hat and kind of strolled into the gym and punched out 15 chin-ups, straight away."

• Like 5

On 22/07/2019 at 3:05 PM, Harrison said:

I

In interviews he struggles at time. I would love him, when talking about the Melbourne derby, to talk about how the German style of coaching is very technical  but ultimately dull, and how he wants to bring French flair and style to the team. He could also say that he believes that flair and style will ultimately prevail over dull, technical football.

That would put the cat amongst the pigeons  :)   

What happened after the game? Kurz cracked it for some reason because I think Mombaerts didn't acknowledge him in time or something like that.

Then the gk coach got involved and there's was alot of chatter between kurz and Kisnorbo too. I'm sad that Patty didn't just belt him actually.

46 minutes ago, rass said:

What happened after the game? Kurz cracked it for some reason because I think Mombaerts didn't acknowledge him in time or something like that.

Then the gk coach got involved and there's was alot of chatter between kurz and Kisnorbo too. I'm sad that Patty didn't just belt him actually.

Pretty sure it was a spat between Kisnorbo and Kurz and Mombaerts was oblivious. Think Paddy was fired up after the biff between Delbo and Toiv

• 1 month later...
On 28/11/2019 at 4:29 PM, Harrison said:

Shapes are not static, they are dynamic and move as the game goes between phases. They can contract, enlarge, weaken and strengthen depending on the movements of the individual players. In the situation above, in both phases, what we see is clumping.

I can't remember who the coach was, but back in the 70s/80s, there was a coach who used to train his players to maintain shape by tieing them to each other with long lengths of rope in training. When one player moved, the whole line had to move

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I can't remember who the coach was, but back in the 70s/80s, there was a coach who used to train his players to maintain shape by timing them to each other with long lengths of rope in training. When one player moved, the whole line had to move

There have been quite a few who have done this, but I know who you mean, I'm racking my brain to think of the buggers name.

On 29/11/2019 at 1:39 PM, belaguttman said:

I can't remember who the coach was, but back in the 70s/80s, there was a coach who used to train his players to maintain shape by tieing them to each other with long lengths of rope in training. When one player moved, the whole line had to move

Helenio Herrera I think.

17 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Helenio Herrera I think.

Not sure. Timing doesn't look right. From Wikipedia: 

In 1968, Herrera moved to Roma, where he became the highest paid manager in the world, with a contract worth an estimated £150,000 per year. He won the Coppa Italia in his first season but relations with club president Alvaro Marchini had already soured over the tragic death of his centre-forward Giuliano Taccola in the team dressing room at an away game against Cagliari. The following season, 1969–70, erratic results in the League gave Marchini the excuse to sack him.

He returned to management for a one-year stint with Inter for the 1973–74 season. Herrera then suffered a heart attack, did not want to coach full-time any more and retired in Venice where he lived the rest of his life. While inactive between 1974 and 1978, Herrera returned briefly during the end of the decade, managing Rimini Calcio and finally ending his career with a return to FC Barcelona for one-and-a-half seasons in 1980 and 1981.

Interesting read in the paper a couple of days ago.............

Melbourne City coach Erick Mombaerts’ links to football greats Zinedine Zidane, Paul Pogba

David Davutovic, Herald Sun
November 29, 2019 6:47pm

Erick Mombaerts avoided playing French legend Zinedine Zidane at home.

Not that Mombaerts didn’t like Zidane.

He loved him.

It was the Cannes fans who were frustrated by the unwieldy teenager defensive midfielder.

“He was not fast and defensively he struggled,” Mombaerts recalls.

“When he was young, people didn’t like him too much because he was not fast.

“We protected him. Our fans (jeered), whistled the first year. The second year he got better and better.

“We moved him higher — to No.8 (box to box midfielder), then No.10 (attacking midfielder).”

Erik Mombaerts helped develop Zinedine Zidane into the superstar he would become at Real Madrid.Erik Mombaerts helped develop Zinedine Zidane into the superstar he would become at Real Madrid.

Mombaerts, who was appointed coach of Melbourne City this year, said Zidane was a bench player at 17 and became a regular starter at 18.

“I never seen a player with this body balance, so fantastic. He never fell down, never. You can push him,” he said.

“He was born in a suburb of Marseilles, he played a lot of street soccer, on concrete and it helped him have very good skill.

“He’s the only player that can give you a (perfect) ball with both feet, at 18 in a competitive game. So confident technically.”

Even then, Mombaerts did not foresee a player who would lead his country to World Cup glory in 1998 and get so close in 2006 (he was sent off for headbutting during the tournament), coupled with a Champions League win, three FIFA player of the year gongs and a world record transfer fee (Juventus to Real Madrid in 2001).

Zinedine Zidane would go on to win the World Cup with France.Zinedine Zidane would go on to win the World Cup with France.

“Honestly, no. Not at this level,” he said.

“He was perfect technically, but his body changed and he became powerful, physically so strong after.

“When he moved to Juventus he worked hard physically, they killed him.

“Also Juventus, one of the biggest clubs in the world, helped him (develop) strong mentality.

“He made good choices. He started at a small club (Cannes), then Bordeaux, then Juventus, and after Real Madrid.

“He continued to improve, especially physically, and he scored goals. When he started he didn’t score (many) goals.”

Erick Mombaerts waves to fans during his time with Yokohama F.Marinos. Picture: Getty ImagesErick Mombaerts waves to fans during his time with Yokohama F.Marinos. Picture: Getty Images

THE ICE MAN

Mombaerts is the first Frenchman to coach in the A-League, arriving with a wealth of experience primarily from the French system.

The former Paris St-Germain coach left City officials gobsmacked on his first visit to their Bundoora training base, launching into a set of chin ups while inspecting the gym, age 64.

“I can push (bench press) maybe 90 kilos, more than 90kg,” he said.

“It’s important because I focus a lot on the job, but I have to take care of my health also. I want to have the same philosophy I ask my players. So if I am not fit, it’s difficult to ask my players to be fit. I want to be consistent and stay at a fit level.”

His stint at Ange Postecoglou’s club Yokohama F Marinos was the game-changer.

There he adopted the radical methods of Dutch iceman, extreme athlete Wim Hof, who holds a host of Guinness world records, including a barefoot half marathon on ice and snow.

He has not had a hot shower since.

Wim Hof, nicknamed ‘The Iceman’, has inspired Mombaerts. Picture: SuppliedWim Hof, nicknamed ‘The Iceman’, has inspired Mombaerts. Picture: Supplied

“Everyday (cold shower). I don’t remember (the last hot shower). I started when I was in Japan,” Mombaerts said.

“Context in Japan. The culture in Japan helps you think about mental things. They control emotions more than us. You can’t see people (tooting horns), they are in control. That’s why they live for 100 years. They eat very good and they are in control with stress.

“I follow the Iceman method, Wim Hof. Afterwards it helps you have better control. Not only for your job, now it’s not a job, it’s a pleasure. I changed totally.”

Mombaerts puts his Melbourne City players to shame and only English winger Craig Noone — perhaps aided by his Merseyside upbringing — gets close to his ice bath feats.

“Sometimes — I can stay in a bath 8C or 9C — I can stay for longer than 15 minutes. The players are (shocked),” Mombaerts said.

“Normal person can’t stay, they die. It’s cool eh? I can stay 15 minutes.

“I do a lot of strength, cold shower, cold bath, breathing. Also for mental (state). It’s a life attitude also. I want to be consistent with the players.

“It helps me be calm and a coach needs to be calm to show you’re in control. If you can’t control yourself, you can’t control (others). I try to be in control in games, you (won’t) see me asking referees (questions), never.”

Mombaerts says Manchester City superstar Riyad Mahrez is his “best success”. Picture: AFPMombaerts says Manchester City superstar Riyad Mahrez is his “best success”. Picture: AFP

WORLD CLASS STARS

While undoubtedly a pleasure coaching some of the world’s best, there are stresses attached to expectation and handling big egos and personalities.

Beyond Zidane, the roll call is impressive.

World Cup winners, Champions League winners, world transfer record holders and global headline makers.

Paul Pogba (Manchester United), Antoine Griezmann (Barcelona), Raphael Varane (Real Madrid), Blaise Matuidi (Juventus), Hugo Lloris (Tottenham) and Manchester City duo Benjamin Mendy and Riyad Mahrez.

“He (Mahrez) is my best success. When I came to Le Havre, he didn’t play. The two coaches before me didn’t trust him. I thought this player has something, but he didn’t train well. Physically not so good, but great, creative left foot. Not fast but always dummied players,” Mombaerts said.

“I started him, but my president at every Monday executive meeting (wanted) to fire me. ‘Why you trust Riyad Mahrez and put him on the field?’.

“I had a very good relationship with Riyad and after that I said, ‘you have to change because every Monday (I had issues). You’re ambitious, I trust you, but you have to change’. I convinced him he had to work physically — he was a midfielder but didn’t want to defend.

“The last season he was better, by the end he was very good. Then he got an offer from Leicester City, only 500,000 euros. Cheap. He sent me message to say ‘thank you’. Four years later then sold him for 60 million euros.”

Mombaerts says Antoine Griezmann, pictured with Barcelona superstar Leo Messi, slipped through the national team cracks as a youth. Picture: APMombaerts says Antoine Griezmann, pictured with Barcelona superstar Leo Messi, slipped through the national team cracks as a youth. Picture: AP

Mombaerts said Griezmann triggered a change to France’s scouting philosophy.

“We have a lot of players and it’s very difficult for clubs to find a good balance between power, athleticism and technical aspects. Griezmann was technical, but at 15 struggled against power players and his talent wasn’t recognised,” he said.

“The Griezmann problem made the federation think about this.

“We pushed a lot of academies that can take care of players who are physically immature and make a place for them in the academy.

“Maybe they looked too much at the physical aspect. Now they corrected the balance.

“Griezmann is typically now a Spanish player — very smart, first touch so good, can play in between the lines. He’s perfect. Playing at Atletico Madrid made him a complete player — aggressive, he can score, very smart in finishing.”

Mombaerts says Paul Pogba is not suited to the way Manchester United plays. Picture: AFPMombaerts says Paul Pogba is not suited to the way Manchester United plays. Picture: AFP

THE POGBA PROBLEM

The way French coach Didier Deschamps used Pogba, who was not suited to Manchester United, earned Mombaerts’ praise.

“Pogba is a typical French player now, so strong. African origins. He has so much quality. He’s a box to box midfielder, so powerful, he likes to be free to go box to box, touch a lot of balls, finish,” he said.

“It’s better for him to be well oriented and make a big job also defensively, as he did with France. If he’s too (free) he can be lost. He’s also not so good when his attitude is ‘I am the boss’.

“Manchester United he plays a style that’s not good for him.

“French national team and Didier Deschamps made a very good job, he made him better with the national team because it was a new way of playing, he was a collective player.

“Pressure on him is normal because he’s an expensive player. But this kind of player, he was better when he was at Juventus. the culture, pressure and mentality of Juventus is good for Pogba.”

Mombaerts compares young Juventus gun Blaise Matuidi to N’Golo Kante. Picture: APMombaerts compares young Juventus gun Blaise Matuidi to N’Golo Kante. Picture: AP

Mombaerts also had high praise for Blaise Matuidi, another French player at Juventus.

“His level of aggressiveness in 10 out of 10, good player. Like N’Golo Kante — the first player you put on the team is this kind of player, his work to regain the ball is fantastic.”

He admitted Manchester City’s Benjamin Mendy was problematic: “He was with me in Le Havre. Similar to Pogba, from the suburbs.”

“I struggled with him. Le Havre not far from Paris and a lot of people visited him, lived with him. So powerful, good left foot. But sometimes he was not there at training. We would fine him.

“Sometimes we played away, we went without Benjamin. When we come back, he get maybe 10,000 euro fine, and he was like ‘okay. Sorry coach, I just woke up. I’m back’.”

Mombaerts has adopted a youth policy at City. Picture: Getty ImagesMombaerts has adopted a youth policy at City. Picture: Getty Images

YOUTH STRATEGY

Mombaerts revealed that exposure to youth was a key part of the French coaching pathway, which he’s adopted at Melbourne City.

He has backed in Australian youth internationals Connor Metcalfe, Ramy Najjarine and Denis Genreau and the balance has proved ideal.

City is sitting atop the A-League ladder after seven rounds.

“First of all in France, all of the (professional) coaches start with academy first. It’s normal,” he said.

“In France, it’s normal to have academy players to play with the first team. Every year 4-5 players integrate into the squad. If you have talent in France, at 18 you are ready to start in the first team.

“So when I’m at a club my first intention is to watch if there is some good academy players to help the team to be better. I first watched the NPL team and I saw a game and Metcalfe was brilliant, he gave assist. I thought he has good potential and quality to help the team — good left foot, strong, he can score.

“I’ve done this at every club I’ve worked at — especially Toulouse. I was there a long time and I won a trophy with this team and only with young players.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

We need evolution not short term revolution. 

rate this comment, hopefully shit picks up in the long term, our style is promising but we cannot shake the club mentality on the field that we have had since day 1 of heart.  Never fully convinced about anything and such a result as today highlights this. fuck. 

• Like 1

Last night I said make a sub Warren explains what I thought of his coaching performance. 
was confused when he started Metcalfe the midfield 3 were all very similar types IMO

also when cabbie was subbed after being the only one that broke Perth down a bit in the first half perplexed me

Edited by Missing_Moy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Last night I said make a sub Warren explains what I thought of his coaching performance. 
was confused when he started Metcalfe the midfield 3 were all very similar types IMO

also when cabbie was subbed after being the only one that broke Perth down a bit in the first half perplexed me

I couldn't see much difference between City under Joyce and City under Mombaerts last night. We'd not had a clear shot on goal when Perth scored their second, so to me there seemed little point in persisting with the same players thereafter. Dismal performance all round.

• Like 2