Melbourne Football

Luna landing

fensaddler

12 minutes ago, Heartman said:

Based on?

Bit of everything tbh. I hold the Mexican league in reasonably high regard, he was up there for assists in the league last season despite playing for an absolute basket case of a side, he’s only 27, his transfermarkt ‘market value’ has increased over the last few seasons, don’t mind the look of his club history , the money sucks in South America so you can always find a gem comparatively, I like the look of him in his vids etc. Appreciate many won’t think that’s a lot to go on, and ultimately we’ll see, but im pretty confident he’s going to be really good tbh. Moreso than I have been with any of our marquees previously.

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Bit of everything tbh. I hold the Mexican league in reasonably high regard, he was up there for assists in the league last season despite playing for an absolute basket case of a side, he’s only 27, his transfermarkt ‘market value’ has increased over the last few seasons, don’t mind the look of his club history , the money sucks in South America so you can always find a gem comparatively, I like the look of him in his vids etc. Appreciate many won’t think that’s a lot to go on, and ultimately we’ll see, but im pretty confident he’s going to be really good tbh. Moreso than I have been with any of our marquees previously.

I love your enthusiasm but would you say 4 assists was up there? Or do you mean up there for his club? 

I admit I love the fact he's only 27, in that his body should be in great nick and he has enough years to establish a legacy of sorts with the club.

...providing we don't piss him off to a rival club like our last Uruguyan.

9 minutes ago, Harrison said:

@bt50 His google stats show up as 29 matches with 1 goal and 4 assists. I think he didn’t register an assist in the second half of the season. 

Correct. No goals or assists in the second half from 9 starts and 4 bench appearances.

As Dylan says, in form players from better leagues generally dont end up in the A League.

Either way, time will tell, but im very confident he'll be good.

4 minutes ago, Nate said:

I admit I love the fact he's only 27, in that his body should be in great nick and he has enough years to establish a legacy of sorts with the club.

...providing we don't piss him off to a rival club like our last Uruguyan.

Sounds like Colazo.

• Sad 1

no mention of him being a marquee in the article, meaning we're in the market for an Australian marquee (as our visa quota is full) or we're not signing a genuine second marquee and will use the spot on the highest paid player within the cap which is poor and lazy.

4 minutes ago, Nate said:

no mention of him being a marquee in the article, meaning we're in the market for an Australian marquee (as our visa quota is full) or we're not signing a genuine second marquee and will use the spot on the highest paid player within the cap which is poor and lazy.

You're not making sense. If you make the "highest paid player within the cap" the second marquee, then he's no longer "the highest paid player within the cap." IMO you're just trying to find something to moan about.

• Like 2

Just now, jw1739 said:

You're not making sense. If you make the "highest paid player within the cap" the second marquee, then he's no longer "the highest paid player within the cap." IMO you're just trying to find something to moan about.

The highest paid player in our squad that's not Maclaren to be then made as the second marquee, you know what I mean.

And not really lol, just wanting a little more from a club that can do more than it has and does. The new manager seems great and I like our visa signings, but you don't do well in this league without top marquees so forgive me if I'm still apprehensive.

If we sign a Socceroos level Australian and make him our second marquee, then I'll be less sceptical.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nate said:

The highest paid player in our squad that's not Maclaren to be then made as the second marquee, you know what I mean.

And not really lol, just wanting a little more from a club that can do more than it has and does. The new manager seems great and I like our visa signings, but you don't do well in this league without top marquees so forgive me if I'm still apprehensive.

If we sign a Socceroos level Australian and make him our second marquee, then I'll be less sceptical.

Someone ITK can correct me here but I think that’s it for the squad. If Griffiths goes we might bring someone else in but I’d be surprised. 

Is it not the case that Perth topped the league last season with only one marquee? IMHO the argument that you can only succeed in this league with two strong marquees is a bit suspect. Too many counter factual examples. 

1 minute ago, Harrison said:

Someone ITK can correct me here but I think that’s it for the squad. If Griffiths goes we might bring someone else in but I’d be surprised. 

That's my assumption. 

19 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Is it not the case that Perth topped the league last season with only one marquee? IMHO the argument that you can only succeed in this league with two strong marquees is a bit suspect. Too many counter factual examples. 

That's my assumption. 

I said you can only succeed with top marquees, and Perth's only marquee was Diego Castro. If Maclaren can put in those kinds of performances, then great but I'd feel better having a quality second marquee.

But if Luna is it and that's all our squad limit can fit, then so be it.

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I didnt say that.
But its true that Perth won it with one marquee last season. Only us Sydney and MV had two marquees.

I guess this is the problem I have.

We have the capability to use the main advanatage we have over the rest of the competition, in that we can afford two top quality players outside the cap. But year after year we completely overrate the quality of our squad (proven by the fact we've never made ACL) and neglect to flex our financial muscle with rules that allow it, instead of at least drawing level with Victory, Sydney and Perth by getting ourselves a Ninkovic or a Toivonen or a Diego Castro.

Hopefully Luna becomes a player of that ilk, but it's riskier than getting a more established player with the better pedigree. 

I'm not bashing the club in this isntance, I just wish we would finally become the supposed powerhouse CFG keep telling us we're going to be.

41 minutes ago, Nate said:

My thinking is that Brillante may well be classified as that second marquee. I've seen the $500,000 per season figure bandied about, and to fit that sort of wage inside the cap means that someone has to be on peanuts. 

I guess this is the problem I have.

We have the capability to use the main advanatage we have over the rest of the competition, in that we can afford two top quality players outside the cap. But year after year we completely overrate the quality of our squad (proven by the fact we've never made ACL) and neglect to flex our financial muscle with rules that allow it, instead of at least drawing level with Victory, Sydney and Perth by getting ourselves a Ninkovic or a Toivonen or a Diego Castro.

Hopefully Luna becomes a player of that ilk, but it's riskier than getting a more established player with the better pedigree. 

I'm not bashing the club in this isntance, I just wish we would finally become the supposed powerhouse CFG keep telling us we're going to be.

Are CFG telling us that? They're telling us theyre ambitious sure, but i don't think at any stage theyve said they'd run the club at a loss because they can.
Now don't get me wrong, I'd like to see us really have a crack at those two marquee spots too, but i'm also very reluctant to spend other people's money, particularly when he club runs at a loss as it is. And yes i'm aware of the money they made out of Mooy and Arzani, but i'd hazard a guess that only just, if at all covers what theyve put it to facilities too.

I guess ultimately what i'm getting at is that i find it hard to criticise with any real venom without knowing exactly what theyre working with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Harrison said:

We can still sign two more (Australian) players but we’ve probably reached the Cap. 

And FWIW, I’ve heard Brillante is on something closer to $600K. 

That's more than Colazo, and he was a marquee. So methinks we have two Australian marquees.

5 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Are CFG telling us that? They're telling us theyre ambitious sure, but i don't think at any stage theyve said they'd run the club at a loss because they can.
Now don't get me wrong, I'd like to see us really have a crack at those two marquee spots too, but i'm also very reluctant to spend other people's money, particularly when he club runs at a loss as it is. And yes i'm aware of the money they made out of Mooy and Arzani, but i'd hazard a guess that only just, if at all covers what theyve put it to facilities too.

I guess ultimately what i'm getting at is that i find it hard to criticise with any real venom without knowing exactly what theyre working with.

Where have I said such a thing? I just want us to get someone at least on par with the A-League marquees I previously mentioned, that should be the minimum requirement for ambition no?

I agree on the point regarding our training facilities though, if that's what's holding investment back then hopefully they get their ROI soon.

Where have I said such a thing? I just want us to get someone at least on par with the A-League marquees I previously mentioned, that should be the minimum requirement for ambition no?

I agree on the point regarding our training facilities though, if that's what's holding investment back then hopefully they get their ROI soon.

I'm sure that's what theyre aiming for tbh. Unfortunately they haven't been able to get it right.

FWIW i do think we'll see a fair bit more investment once the league goes independent, but time will tell i guess.

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

My thinking is that Brillante may well be classified as that second marquee. I've seen the $500,000 per season figure bandied about, and to fit that sort of wage inside the cap means that someone has to be on peanuts. 

Fair enough if true.

Brillante wasn't on marquee wages in a jam-packed Sydney FC squad and according to their fans, declined in output over the past season so I hope he can take his game back up to his best level again if he is our second marquee. I've always liked him.

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I'm sure that's what theyre aiming for tbh. Unfortunately they haven't been able to get it right.

FWIW i do think we'll see a fair bit more investment once the league goes independent, but time will tell i guess.

True, we'll benefit more than most I'd hope.