Melbourne Football

Denis Genreau

Harrison

26 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

He had a good summer episode in Netherlands. Obviously he came back with some expectations and probably demands. He wasn't behind any similar youth player. Arnold gave him starting debut ahead other young player, if that means anything

I think this was both greatly overstated and wrong.

He scored a few times in pre-season friendlies and earned himself starts at the beginning of the season, but ultimately he got hooked at HT twice in his first 4 games and didnt feature again for them after about 15 rounds in, all with JVS as his gaffer. That to me says that while his pre-season from was good, he seriously stunk it up when push came to shove.
IMO our media and Sokkah Twitter hyped his pre-season goals and starts up to be something they weren't when you looked a bit closer.

Im not a basher of Denis by any means, as i've said you could def see the potential, but championship winning clubs shouldnt be handing out regular starts based on potential, it needs to be results based.

It's great to see him get the game time and grow into a player as a result, i hope he goes on with it, and if he really kicks on, comes back and does it for us.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He was never really in a position here we could offer him guaranteed starts. He had shown glimpses but like say Tilio this season Genreau would've had to earn his way into the starting lineup on merit. 

When another club rocked up on the scene with literally no one ahead of him in the pecking order then it becomes very difficult for us to match that. Losing Denis is not our fault, just circumstances changing. 

• Like 2