Melbourne Football

Denis Genreau

Harrison

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Good interview. He's intelligent, enthusiastic and articulate. I'm getting this sense of anticipation of something special, so hopefully it's all going to come together for us this season.

Agreed JW. Seems to be a bright young bloke. His year abroad will have been really useful, and we rated him before he left. He's as good for the squad as a decent new signing. Very pleased he's back with us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imtellingyou said:

The key question is why he's back from Europe competition. 

Because he is was loaned out by us to mature and we want him back in our squad. But you probably mean if he is that good, why isn’t he staying in Europe and where are the offers?

Edited by Mr MO

21 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

So nobody in Europe recognized his talent and nobody wanted to buyout his 60 to 100K Aud contract .

Do you know that no-one approached him? Perhaps they did, and he just feels that he'd rather play one or more further seasons here before trying a move to Europe. Many players make the move too early don't they? We don't know the full facts, and we don't need to.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
28 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

He offered more than Metcalfe. 

Id say he offered more than Luna & Florin in the no10 role.

But I thought Metcalfe was solid and made up for his poor give away that ended in the red card and could've had a big game if he played the ball first time to Jamie on a couple of occasions. 

3 hours ago, rayv36 said:

But I thought Metcalfe was solid and made up for his poor give away that ended in the red card and could've had a big game if he played the ball first time to Jamie on a couple of occasions. 

So Metcalfe did the worst pass in the history of the world, caused us to go down to 10 men, gifted them a goal, got told off by Jamie and Jamieson multiple times because he can't pass for shit, and gave Mombaets a stroke.....

But he had a solid game and should be preferred to Luna and Florin.

Come on, you have to be kidding me.

Genreau is miles ahead in every way and should be first choice off the pine when we get out full list fit again.

Metcalfe and Najjarine both need a spell in the lower divisions because they are nowhere near ready for this league.

3 hours ago, rayv36 said:

Not sure if the FFA Cup in warm weather had anything to do with it, but Metcalfe looked fukd when he came on.

He was only on the pitch for a few minutes when it started looking really noticeable, well to me anyway.

But hats off to Genreau, thought he wasn't ready for that start but he played well and that assist for the first was deliciously creative!

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

So Metcalfe did the worst pass in the history of the world, caused us to go down to 10 men, gifted them a goal, got told off by Jamie and Jamieson multiple times because he can't pass for shit, and gave Mombaets a stroke.....

But he had a solid game and should be preferred to Luna and Florin.

Come on, you have to be kidding me.

Genreau is miles ahead in every way and should be first choice off the pine when we get out full list fit again.

Metcalfe and Najjarine both need a spell in the lower divisions because they are nowhere near ready for this league.

Calm ya tits, I said I thought he had a soild game, didn't say he was MOTM.

Also I said Genreau showed more than Luna & Florin, wasn't comparing him to Metcalfe.

• 8 months later...

Well the rumours are finally confirmed. Have to wonder what the hell happened?

Is my assessment right- Genreau is a talented footballer with a bright future and City will rue the day they let him walk?

or given two first team coaches (1 of whom seems very football wise, the other not so much) barely played him, perhaps I’m mistaken.

(he was clearly frozen out once he signed with MacArthur, that didn’t help).

52 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

(he was clearly frozen out once he signed with MacArthur, that didn’t help).

Isn't it more that it's A-League "custom and practice" not to play a player once he's signed with another club so that he can't be injured?

I'm disappointed that he's leaving, but we don't know the full facts. He may have been offered a new City contract but got a better offer. He may have been told that he had no future with us. It is, after all, the end of his contract, so he's free to move if he wishes to. It's not as if he's walking out on us mid-contract.

But it appears that we thought enough of him at the time to give him a season at Zwolle. It would be nice to know the facts, but we never will unless Genreau himself discloses them.

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Isn't it more that it's A-League "custom and practice" not to play a player once he's signed with another club so that he can't be injured?

I'm disappointed that he's leaving, but we don't know the full facts. He may have been offered a new City contract but got a better offer. He may have been told that he had no future with us. It is, after all, the end of his contract, so he's free to move if he wishes to. It's not as if he's walking out on us mid-contract.

But it appears that we thought enough of him at the time to give him a season at Zwolle. It would be nice to know the facts, but we never will unless Genreau himself discloses them.

The relationship between him and the coach isn’t good. I remember a Talking City interview with Dennis mentioning he was very surprised he got some minutes at the start of the season.

• 10 months later...

Denis made a decent International debut this morning. He always looked like a future international to me. Not claiming special insight- was kind of obvious.

Hopefully one day we’ll find out why 2 Melbourne City coaches had him well down the pecking order. There’s a story there somewhere.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Denis made a decent International debut this morning. He always looked like a future international to me. Not claiming special insight- was kind of obvious.

Hopefully one day we’ll find out why 2 Melbourne City coaches had him well down the pecking order. There’s a story there somewhere.

4 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Several things would have played part; we deemed it to risky to play 2 youth players in a 3 man midfield; Dennis had a difficult relationship with coaching staff; Connor developed well; he needed game time.

It surprised me that given their "French connection" Mombaerts didn't give Denis more opportunity. But sometimes "connection" has the opposite  result. I remember being very hard on my young lad when I was coaching his team. Unfairly so in retrospect.

Anyway, nice to see someone our fans liked, even if the coaches didn't, making a bit of a name for himself.

I think it came down to we had to choose one of Metcalfe or Genreau to start. And I'm very very comfortable with our choice. You can't blame Denis for wanting regular football. 

It's just a fact that when we have the biggest youth system in the state and possibly the country, some kids who are very talented will have to move on. Denis isn't the first and he won't be the last

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Wouldn’t start Dennis over metcalfe or Luna but would play him over Florin  

obviously wanted game time and it’s served him well! 

Yes, he's streets ahead of Florin and proved it. I rather think that there must have been another reason why he wasn't preferred.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes, he's streets ahead of Florin and proved it. I rather think that there must have been another reason why he wasn't preferred.

Yes. I always wanted him ahead of Florin. Though to be honest I had him ahead of Metcalfe at that time too.

4 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Yes. I always wanted him ahead of Florin. Though to be honest I had him ahead of Metcalfe at that time too.

Denis is a JVS protege. Maybe he hasn't quite got the work ethic that's required for the "City way?"

Hmm not saying he isnt ahead of Florin now, but i really struggle to think of any Genreau performance with us that you could hang your hat on to say he was worthy of a starting place. Perhaps that game in Geelong v WU but even then that was more a moment or two of brilliance rather than a dominant game.
Thats not to say we all couldnt see something, but i tend to think it a bit revisionist to think he should have been starting over any of our mids at that point. To me clearly Brillante, Luna and Metcalfe were in front of him, and in terms of actual game changing performances, for all his quiet games too, so was Flo.
Clearly Denis needed game time, and we couldnt provide that at that stage of his career.

• Like 2

He had a good summer episode in Netherlands. Obviously he came back with some expectations and probably demands. He wasn't behind any similar youth player. Arnold gave him starting debut ahead other young player, if that means anything.

It's a small market and we'll see Denis again. No one refuses the champions. 

• Like 1