Melbourne Football

Brillante

Dylan

Very good forward passer of the ball with good vision in transition.

Nice to see both  Bart and Bacchus gone as they were the worst backward and sideways uninspiring passing bunnies in the world with no vision to create plays.

Very good signing for a 4 5 1, 4 4 2 system.

Team coming together nicely.

1 hour ago, Originalmeme said:

bart... you have to be taking the piss right.  for a playmaker, you must not have watched bart play much

Watched every game but not with rose coloured glasses like most people did when watching Bart.

Defensively he was good, that's never in dispute, but in counterplay he was rubbish. Went for his little bursts trying to dribble the field on occasions but that further confirms that had no passing vision,. Bacchus just as bad.

RoboCop was much better in attacking transition and nearly as good defensively.

3 minutes ago, neio said:

I think this will be our biggest signing. He was massive for Sydney and he is probably the equal best aussie defensive mid in league. Brilliant signing I think 

Totally agree.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

not really sure how you could not see that if you watched every game. 

Because it didn't happen.

All of his passes were effective. he took space and played forward when the timing and opportunity was there, nearly always.  

Wrong and wrong and wrong. Look below if you like.

not really sure how you could not see that if you watched every game. 

I did. Every minute

Doubt you watched every game if you couldnt make sense that we were trying to build from the back every game but had no real idea about movement or creation of space in the final third

Oh I did watch every game and I know exactly what they failed to play and the reason why is because we moved the ball too slow from the back.

Again I repeat I didn't look at Bart with rose coloured glasses.

Let's do a comparison of the season.

Bart 25 games, RoboCop 24 games.

IMG_20190709_231228.thumb.jpg.2db36dd2a7522ecc6b12fa301e275f21.jpg

What I want my centre-back to do on list of importance:

1. Stop the opposition scoring

2. Stop the opposition scoring

3. Stop the opposition scoring

4. Get away with a dirty foul on Broxham in a derby

37. Have quads like a power lifter

52. Take a shot from 40 yards that hits row Z just for comedy value

86. Make a key pass 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I swear Playmaker is just here to troll on this topic. “The super scout who brought us the delights of Koren, Budzinski and Flopperin”

Delbridge is not the defender Schenkeveld is of course - he might develop into this. Bart is only here to get his body right and is a genuine starter in the Dutch league if he is fit. Didn’t Bart win several club awards or fan forum votings? I think we aren’t alone thinking Schenkeveld has been class for our club. 

Your stats are leaving lots of critical parts out of it - such as did we remain possession after an interception? Schenkeveld wins balls often cleanly by running attackers of the ball and returns possession. Delbridge however intercepts with a big tackle, toe poke or heads the ball out of play or in his own goal! Only looking at their first touch you will see a big difference.

Its not even a debatable topic really. People who struggle to admire, recognise or see the need of quality defenders have little understanding of the teamsport 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 6

In reality IMO the situation with respect to Schenkeveld is somewhere in between the two extreme positions being taken here.

But this thread is supposed to be about Josh Brillante - and there are threads on Delbridge and Schenkeveld if you really want to go on about them. Let's keep it that way please.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

In reality IMO the situation with respect to Schenkeveld is somewhere in between the two extreme positions being taken here.

But this thread is supposed to be about Josh Brillante - and there are threads on Delbridge and Schenkeveld if you really want to go on about them. Let's keep it that way please.

Yeah move the discussion to a different thread! I find the statement that Delbridge is better than Schenkeveld pretty extreme and embarrassing with all the respect for Harrison.

I swear you guys can't read.

I never said Bart wasn't a great defender and perhaps the best in the league.

What I DID SAY was that he together with Bacchus were the main players who contributed to our slow, oppressive and unproductive ball movement.

5 hours ago, haz said:

Delbridge got most of those key passes from playing as a LB and crossing the ball.

Yes, but the point of the post was to prove that people are deluded thinking that Bart was some attacking transition passing god.

3 out of 1300 proves that he wasn't regardless of what people think.

56 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I find the statement that Delbridge is better than Schenkeveld pretty extreme and embarrassing with all the respect for Harrison.

So do I. I think you have comprehension issues or just like to skew the truth to suit yourself.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

But this thread is supposed to be about Josh Brillante - and there are threads on Delbridge and Schenkeveld if you really want to go on about them.

This will be my last comment because it is relevant.

I believe when Brillante takes control of the defence then the forward thrusts will automatically improve. We didn't have a real defensive leader last season and we paid the price for reasons I pointed out.

This really is the key transfer for this season because last season he was the defensive pivot that initiated devastating counterattacks for Sydney and something that we never could do.

16 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I swear you guys can't read.

I never said Bart wasn't a great defender and perhaps the best in the league.

What I DID SAY was that he together with Bacchus were the main players who contributed to our slow, oppressive and unproductive ball movement.

and we are saying you are wrong buddo

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I believe when Brillante takes control of the defence then the forward thrusts will automatically improve. We didn't have a real defensive leader last season and we paid the price for reasons I pointed out.

This really is the key transfer for this season because last season he was the defensive pivot that initiated devastating counterattacks for Sydney and something that we never could do.

IMO you could really point the finger at just about everyone for slow transition ball movement last season. Rarely were we incisive going forward, and our poor "goals for" tally is evidence of that. So many times the obvious quick forward pass to a player running into space was ignored in favour of the sideways or backwards pass.  It's been a favourite topic of @belaguttman for several seasons - under Joyce we just refined it to the extreme.

I'd rather look to the future than dwell on the past. Brillante is a sound recruit and IMO the squad, with (I'd say) one further signing to go, is better balanced than for a number of seasons. I'm looking forward to what Mombaerts can extract out of them.

• Like 1

Off the topic but on the conversation, Bart, Delbo and Baccus were top 10 league passers. You don't have to watch the game after this own half statistics to understand there is coaching and game plan deficit. 

Adelaide scored winning goal through RDL and Bart. Bart was the best defender in the league. Sydney won the league having Wilko as chief defense commander.  Good for them but not for us. If we had Redmayne we would the main culprit on the forum.

19 hours ago, playmaker said:

Important, but we also lacked movement off the ball with players running into space or running to open up space. Of course, we need both the quick transition movement and pass, much more likely with Le Patron than with Wazza.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
30 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Interesting but understandable comment on the podcast about his overseas ambitions. Even though he signed a longer deal, he’s taking it season by season and if he does well this season then.....

I doubt that the club will let contracted players go overseas on free transfers in the future, and neither should it. CFG is a business, not a charity.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...