Jump to content
Melbourne Football
jw1739

Pre-season 2019-20

Recommended Posts

I agree that Birighitti is a better keeper technically, I’ve said that many times. His positioning is superior and for mine that’s what’s most important in a keeper if we’re talking about the ability to keep out goals. I’m not convinced he is a ‘good’ distributor but happy to wait and see. Can’t remember too much about that aspect tbh.  

Again, I think it’s likely that Dean starts on Tuesday for the reasons above. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I agree that Birighitti is a better keeper technically, I’ve said that many times. His positioning is superior and for mine that’s what’s most important in a keeper if we’re talking about the ability to keep out goals. I’m not convinced he is a ‘good’ distributor but happy to wait and see. Can’t remember too much about that aspect tbh.  

Again, I think it’s likely that Dean starts on Tuesday for the reasons above. 

Didn’t Mombaerts drag Bouzanis after the 2nd goal in the Oakleigh goal I heard don’t know if it’s true. 

My team for the Cup would be 

                        Birightti 

Galloway Windbichler Delbridge Jamo

              Brillante Berenguer 

                          Luna 

          Cabrera Maclaren Noone 

 

* Metcalfe or Griffiths could play in Berengeur but would be a waste to not have 5 visa on the pitch. Also clear indication Berenguer would be in the midfield as he is wearing number 10 now. 

Edited by CityBoyz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Didn’t Mombaerts drag Bouzanis after the 2nd goal in the Oakleigh goal I heard don’t know if it’s true. 

Not sure. 

2 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

Mombaerts will start Birighitti on Wednesday. 

Inside knowledge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Harrison said:

Not sure. 

Inside knowledge?

no but I don't think Mombaerts is a big fan of GK stuffing around in the goals, though it was nice to see Biri get some minutes ...his distribution was spot on 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Didn’t Mombaerts drag Bouzanis after the 2nd goal in the Oakleigh goal I heard don’t know if it’s true. 

I thought he did - perhaps that's where you read it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bob Latchford said:

This aged well 😂

Great to be back though. Missed all you bastards. Hopefully we've seen off those pesky Russian trolls now... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tell you what, I'm already pretty keen for Tuesday already. Been great watching the City Boys these past two weeks. Have to keep reminding myself there is still about two and a half months wait still to go until we're properly back 😪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Tell you what, I'm already pretty keen for Tuesday already. Been great watching the City Boys these past two weeks. Have to keep reminding myself there is still about two and a half months wait still to go until we're properly back 😪

I reckon we could have a competition such as a League Cup in September, preceding the League itself. Scotland does it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Details for Tuesday 6th August's match are here: https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/pre-season-preview-bentleigh-v-city. There is a reasonable area of car parking adjacent to the Cheltenham-Moorabbin RSL and the ground, which is across Centre Dandenong Road from DFO Moorabbin. The turn to the car-park is signposted at a set of traffic lights.

image.png.604910ff237423d8c5abcba429b0c410.png

Melbourne City FC take on Bentleigh Greens on Tuesday 6 August at Kingston Heath Soccer Complex, kick-off 7:30pm.

 

Tickets will be available at the gate. Tickets are $10.00 for General Admission, $7.00 for Members (via email) and Under 14’s go free!

You can also follow our official social media accounts, @melbournecity, for live updates.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game tonight will be streamed on YouTube and Facebook at 7:30.

Cheers Talking City for getting this organised (I think?))

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, haz said:

The game tonight will be streamed on YouTube and Facebook at 7:30.

Cheers Talking City for getting this organised (I think?))

Good on them 

But wasnt there a furore a few seasons ago when bar tv were broadcasting A league pre seasons matches, and were told to stop because Fox own the rights to games being played

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fiji19 said:

Good on them 

But wasnt there a furore a few seasons ago when bar tv were broadcasting A league pre seasons matches, and were told to stop because Fox own the rights to games being played

Club also spruiking it directly, so I suspect those sort of issues have been addressed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon that’s pretty much going to be our round 1 XI and that Metcalf has cemented his spot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dylan said:

I reckon that’s pretty much going to be our round 1 XI and that Metcalf has cemented his spot

We're only 5 weeks into a pre-season and round 1 is what, 2 months away?

Surely there's plenty of time for that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did you talking city boys get all the money and equipment to broadcast with graphics?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, haz said:

How did you talking city boys get all the money and equipment to broadcast with graphics?

dat Citeh oil money 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just got back from the game bloody hour and 30 mins from carlton.  could not be more optimistic about the season after that game,the lads were electric

Boozanis: didnt have much to do to be honest, made a great save early on

Atkinson: shaky first half, then took the utter piss second half with some great dribbles and also some superb through balls

Rich: decent, didnt have much involvment but was very solid. some great tackles and movement

Good: looks very sharp. but he cant hit a long ball to save his life (seems impatient on the ball)

Jamo: surprisingly solid. you can see he is a bit of the gas getting old, but got stuck in and had some great moments in the first half

Brilliante: brillant, simple as that, will be immense for us this year.

Luna: wow he is exciting along with cabrera.  these two were brought in as a partnership and i can only imagine how great they will be with another month or two of training and playing. He works so hard on and off the ball to get back and defend.  is lighting and always looks to turn and attack. just what we need in the 10, 

Metcalfe: solid solid, made some great moves and 1 2's with luna and cabrera.  can see him happily fighting to start with genreau.  if he can minimise his mistakes he can be a great 8 for us.

Jmac: dangerous in the box, once we nail our final pass, he will be bagging goals left right and center.  was not helped much today bbut his pace and energy really fits into our evolving game of constant high press

Noone: nothing to say, will be our star

Cabrera: holy shit this guy is quick, can attack and beat his player. was seriously excited every time the ball was on his side

Florin: fking meh, weirdest player i have ever seen. does everything perfect up until the final pass. just gives it away like he cant be arsed, then walks back. hard to watch because he looks deceivingly dangerous until he cocks it every time.

Najjar:  happy as backup to jmac, is strong and fast, made some great combinations

Other youths (wales, ramy, idris) : not much to say, playing against kids at the end and a tired bentleigh.

Rostyn: Nothing for him to do, I would hang onto him. good veteran of the game with experience for the younger blokes, has an air of class and professionalism about him.

our style of play could not be any more different to any previous season. super high and intense press all game.  movement and rotations between every player and position. desire to attack and score- at the right moments. seems like we are very much on the right track.  

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rass said:

We're only 5 weeks into a pre-season and round 1 is what, 2 months away?

Surely there's plenty of time for that...

Well how is it going to change? Plus we have clearly done the vast majority of our transfers very early this season so why would having an XI this early be strange?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Well how is it going to change? Plus we have clearly done the vast majority of our transfers very early this season so why would having an XI this early be strange?

Well I agree that it's pretty close, but I don't think Metcalfe has cemented his spot yet. 

I think he is going to be a very good player - has the skills and body shape too to be a real weapon. If I was an opposition coach however, I'd target getting under his skin. There were a couple of times early last night that he got a bit of rough treatment and to my eye at least, he looked like he could explode.

So I'm not he is a lock just yet and obviously Florin could take that spot. Same for Good and Delbo. Also JMac has the runs on the board and does a lot off the ball, but I don't think Najjar is that far away from him either TBH, strange as that may sound.

My point is there's still time to tweak formations and positions, so there may be a couple of surprises yet.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not getting my hopes up yet. Depression usually kicks in around Round 3

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, moops said:

Who was the LB that took over from Jamo?

He looked pretty good as well.

Thought the same, #36 I think.

19 minutes ago, haz said:

Not getting my hopes up yet. Depression usually kicks in around Round 3

TBF in Joyce's first season i was optimistic at Christmas, results wise .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Heartman said:

Thought the same, #36 I think.

Mark Karlic, come back after an MCL injury in the middle of the year and it yet to play for the NPL team this term. Great to see him getting a run out at this level.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Mark Karlic, come back after an MCL injury in the middle of the year and it yet to play for the NPL team this term. Great to see him getting a run out at this level.

He was good in a tackle and turned a few players, he even put a player through. 

Potentially okay. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rass said:

Well I agree that it's pretty close, but I don't think Metcalfe has cemented his spot yet. 

I think he is going to be a very good player - has the skills and body shape too to be a real weapon. If I was an opposition coach however, I'd target getting under his skin. There were a couple of times early last night that he got a bit of rough treatment and to my eye at least, he looked like he could explode.

So I'm not he is a lock just yet and obviously Florin could take that spot. Same for Good and Delbo. Also JMac has the runs on the board and does a lot off the ball, but I don't think Najjar is that far away from him either TBH, strange as that may sound.

My point is there's still time to tweak formations and positions, so there may be a couple of surprises yet.

 

Najjar is technically on the ball already better than Maclaren, however Jamie has better intuition and smarter runs. I find Maclaren pretty average on the ball. Najjar needs to be more clinical.

This is second time now I’ve seen Florin give up play after a little shirt tug as well as no intention to put in any defensive effort. I don’t think he will take anybody’s spot with this attitude. It’s unbelievable he still hasn’t scored yet.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dylan said:

Well how is it going to change? Plus we have clearly done the vast majority of our transfers very early this season so why would having an XI this early be strange?

I was at last night's match, and while I won't be as effusive in my praise as others, I largely agree with the views expressed so far. I thought the match probably gave Mombaerts more to think about rather than actually show him what the answers might be. It's difficult to compare players because it's not apples with apples - the Starting XI in the first half was up against one set of players, and then there were many changes on both sides for and during the second half.

I thought in the first half we struggled for fluidity up front, and didn't create much at all. The origin of our solitary goal was a ricochet in midfield that fell for Noone, and he was able to run on to it and finally poke a shot into the net. I thought that the nub of our problems was actually that we held the ball too long at the back - again - whereas in the second half we were getting it forward at every first opportunity. There is some prodigious and precocious talent in our young players that is a joy to watch.

Players I would like to especially mention - in no particular order:
Atkinson - had a great game. Definitely pushing for a starting gig.
Luna - has a huge engine and bags of talent.
Genreau - surprisingly tough nut for his stature and demeanour. Pushing Metcalfe for a start.
Najjar - lovely mover. Pity he hit the upright twice, especially missing the penalty. Perfect back-up for Maclaren - indeed he might challenge him for a place in due course. 
Berenguer - the problems are all in his head. He doesn't deserve a place on this showing. Mombaerts needs to take him into the office and give him a French spray - and it wouldn't be perfume either.

Still plenty to work on to get the best out of the players that we have.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Berenguer - the problems are all in his head. He doesn't deserve a place on this showing. Mombaerts needs to take him into the office and give him a French spray - and it wouldn't be perfume either.

A spray of Eau de Merde

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I was at last night's match, and while I won't be as effusive in my praise as others, I largely agree with the views expressed so far. I thought the match probably gave Mombaerts more to think about rather than actually show him what the answers might be. It's difficult to compare players because it's not apples with apples - the Starting XI in the first half was up against one set of players, and then there were many changes on both sides for and during the second half.

I thought in the first half we struggled for fluidity up front, and didn't create much at all. The origin of our solitary goal was a ricochet in midfield that fell for Noone, and he was able to run on to it and finally poke a shot into the net. I thought that the nub of our problems was actually that we held the ball too long at the back - again - whereas in the second half we were getting it forward at every first opportunity. There is some prodigious and precocious talent in our young players that is a joy to watch.

Players I would like to especially mention - in no particular order:
Atkinson - had a great game. Definitely pushing for a starting gig.
Luna - has a huge engine and bags of talent.
Genreau - surprisingly tough nut for his stature and demeanour. Pushing Metcalfe for a start.
Najjar - lovely mover. Pity he hit the upright twice, especially missing the penalty. Perfect back-up for Maclaren - indeed he might challenge him for a place in due course. 
Berenguer - the problems are all in his head. He doesn't deserve a place on this showing. Mombaerts needs to take him into the office and give him a French spray - and it wouldn't be perfume either.

Still plenty to work on to get the best out of the players that we have.

Quite good but a couple of things there I would disagree with.

Firstly whilst we struggled for a period early in the first half, I thought we looked very threatening after that, especially down the right-hand side. I thought we had numerous chances to score, especially if JMac was that little bit sharper.

Secondly I thought Genreau struggled early on and then looked better when bentleigh played their kids. Based on that, I don't think he's anywhere near metcalfe yet.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Najjar is technically on the ball already better than Maclaren, however Jamie has better intuition and smarter runs. I find Maclaren pretty average on the ball. Najjar needs to be more clinical.

This is second time now I’ve seen Florin give up play after a little shirt tug as well as no intention to put in any defensive effort. I don’t think he will take anybody’s spot with this attitude. It’s unbelievable he still hasn’t scored yet.

Najjar was quite good at holding the ball, looks a strong lad for his age.

Florin made a good switch pass I think to Najjarine, but every shot was very tame, made it easy for their keeper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always interesting to see how everyone else views the game.

Anyways i was reasonably impressed with how we went on the whole. It took us a little while to find our feet in an attacking sense but i thought we looked really sound defensively and more and more impressive in attack as the game went on.
I'm REALLY excited about Luna. His workrate was exceptional and his vision, passing and crossing were a level above anyone else on the pitch imo. If there's a knock it was perhaps that he didnt get on the ball quite as much as i'd like but hey theres still plenty of time for that. I think between him and Noone, with Jmac doing Jmac then we are in for a really good year in attack.
I thought we looked significantly better with Florin on the pitch too in the second half, but it wasnt necessarily anything to do with him touching it as obviously his final pass continued to be a let down. Maybe we move better with him on the pitch in terms of runs etc but he needs to improve his final ball/finishing to earn his keep. I think a goal will do him a world of good so fingers crossed he can nab on from open play in the coming weeks.

Cabrera to me is yet to do anything that's impressed. Like everyone else its early days, but he hasnt quite found the rhythm yet imo.

Atkinson and Karlic were both really impressive at FB, as was Jamo in the first half. Really other than Cabrera i was quite content with our everyone played. Moudi was terrific, but his finishing needs to be far better than that if he's going to crack into the team.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The origin of our solitary goal was a ricochet in midfield that fell for Noone, and he was able to run on to it and finally poke a shot into the net.

I reckon you've undersold that goal something shocking! If i scored that and you called it a poke i'd be sooking for a month :D

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...