Melbourne Football

Pre-season 2019-20

jw1739

8 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

I think we're gonna realize how unbelievably good Bart was this season, so we're gonna need our attacking players to contribute a considerable amount more goals than last season because I see us conceding on a regular basis. 

I have a suspicion we'll also find out how much delbridge performances relied on having bort next to him

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I have a suspicion that regardless of who the coach is, which 11 blokes walk out each game we are just going to be shit. 

We will know on Wednesday evening. WSW are going to be one of the teams to beat this season. If we can't beat them at home in the Cup we won't make the top four.

1 hour ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Someone mentioned somewhere that there is a behind doors friendly tomorrow? Anyone got the lowdown?

Find myself on holidays and wouldnt mind a game!

Mutterings that it was Adelaide. They had their full squad in Ballarat for a warm up on Saturday. Drab goalless draw. Both sides lack real flair but can defend. And McGree got sent off... 

Does anybody have a result overview of the games played so far cup and friendly? Besides beating a perhaps undermanned WSW for the cup we seamed to struggle against A- League opposition. I do remember beating some earlier in the offseason?

Frustration for Luna and Cabrera not being able to start games.

Edited by Mr MO

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

Does anybody have a result overview of the games played so far cup and friendly? Besides beating a perhaps undermanned WSW for the cup we seamed to struggle against A- League opposition. I do remember beating some earlier in the offseason?

It's just pre-season. No need to panic. If Momby is a good coach then he'll be seeing where the weaknesses are and addressing them if he can. My observations in the three matches I've seen live are that we're not yet making the most of our opportunities up front, and at times are vulnerable at the back from a cross to the back post or back of the box.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's just pre-season. No need to panic. If Momby is a good coach then he'll be seeing where the weaknesses are and addressing them if he can. My observations in the three matches I've seen live are that we're not yet making the most of our opportunities up front, and at times are vulnerable at the back from a cross to the back post or back of the box.

He’s pretty consistent with his starting eleven the last couple of games, perhaps tactically making some changes.

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

He’s pretty consistent with his starting eleven the last couple of games, perhaps tactically making some changes.

Its all well and good... but Adelaide set up well. It was a 50/50 game and our midfield was pretty loose at times. Noons cheeky play was delightful but oppositions will just flood around him to stop his play as they did with Fornaroli. Flo was useless again - a wasted spot. His passing rate is acceptable but how often it leads to goal will be rarer than an uncooked steak.

• Like 1

Both goals conceded were from set pieces, which is an area that is somewhat easier to fix. We’re actually pretty short apart from Delbridge and Good. More training sessions needed there.

From the match report it seems like we created plenty of good chances. Izzo made quality saves and we couldn’t finish them, but as long as we’re creating those good chances then the goals will come. 

Three foreign players not making the XI is a concern. It’s really important to actually get those right and if Mombaerts isn’t able to select the types of players he wants then we can’t be surprised. Is Petrillo making the final call?

I like what I see from Luna and Windbichler. Cabrera has more question marks. Clearly the Uruguayans aren’t doing enough of the right things, and I think it’s the defensive side of their games. 

Early days yet and the signs are still positive so no need to panic. We’ve done what we needed to do in competitive matches so that’s what matters most. 

39 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Both goals conceded were from set pieces, which is an area that is somewhat easier to fix. We’re actually pretty short apart from Delbridge and Good. More training sessions needed there.

From the match report it seems like we created plenty of good chances. Izzo made quality saves and we couldn’t finish them, but as long as we’re creating those good chances then the goals will come. 

Three foreign players not making the XI is a concern. It’s really important to actually get those right and if Mombaerts isn’t able to select the types of players he wants then we can’t be surprised. Is Petrillo making the final call?

I like what I see from Luna and Windbichler. Cabrera has more question marks. Clearly the Uruguayans aren’t doing enough of the right things, and I think it’s the defensive side of their games. 

Early days yet and the signs are still positive so no need to panic. We’ve done what we needed to do in competitive matches so that’s what matters most. 

IMO it's a management structure issue. Very hard to avoid this sort of thing in a big organization unless you have a really flat management structure. I suspect that we have at least one layer of management too many in player recruitment, particularly visa players, and that the Head Coach of Melbourne City does not have enough say in the process. I may be wrong of course, and there's always the question of timing - were commitments made to Luna, Windbichler, Noone and Cabrera before Mombaerts accepted the job? And he would not have had any input into the signing of Berenguer. We know that overseas recruiting is (at least partially) in the hands of a CFG team led by James Poole, former Manchester City player.

It seems it's only a few weeks since we were all lauding the fact that we had our list settled weeks earlier than in other seasons!

Do other clubs, not owned by by the likes of CFG,  rely on their coach's networking more than we do?

Edited by jw1739

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO it's a management structure issue. Very hard to avoid this sort of thing in a big organization unless you have a really flat management structure. I suspect that we have at least one layer of management too many in player recruitment, particularly visa players, and that the Head Coach of Melbourne City does not have enough say in the process. I may be wrong of course, and there's always the question of timing - were commitments made to Luna, Windbichler, Noone and Cabrera before Mombaerts accepted the job? And he would not have had any input into the signing of Berenguer. We know that overseas recruiting is (at least partially) in the hands of a CFG team led by James Poole, former Manchester City player.

It seems it's only a few weeks since we were all lauding the fact that we had our list settled weeks earlier than in other seasons!

Do other clubs, not owned by by the likes of CFG,  rely on their coach's networking more than we do?

Another potential reason may be that Australians are becoming increasingly undervalued in the global football market and that you can get better 'bang for your buck' with Aussie players atm. Of course that is always more of a trend than a hard fast rule; obviously there are plenty of foreigners that have come here and done well.

Either way far too early to tell just yet i think.

56 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Another potential reason may be that Australians are becoming increasingly undervalued in the global football market and that you can get better 'bang for your buck' with Aussie players atm. Of course that is always more of a trend than a hard fast rule; obviously there are plenty of foreigners that have come here and done well.

Either way far too early to tell just yet i think.

Yes, there's not single magic bullet solution. What we have is players such as Metcalfe and others who are good enough to keep visa players out of the side.

53 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes, there's not single magic bullet solution. What we have is players such as Metcalfe and others who are good enough to keep visa players out of the side.

If our youth is picking up then next season perhaps reduce our visa players to 3 and make sure the imports are proven quality. 

Edited by Mr MO