Melbourne Football

Pre-season 2019-20

jw1739

39 minutes ago, Originalmeme said:

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/pre-season-report-city-1-western-united-2?fbclid=IwAR32OkvgjSrZI4EHKk_J_Ezva4rpvbOMozdFUjd1lLt04eYTplooQfKpsr4

sounds like we were the better team from this report, but meh, the youngsters are showing their skills good to see,  wondering about Rich though

Yeah, significant players not mentioned - Griffiths, Windbichler, Atkinson, Genreau, Metcalfe, Maclaren, Wales...so no need to lose sleep over this.

Edited by jw1739

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Yeah, significant players not mentioned - Griffiths, Windbichler, Atkinson, Genreau, Metcalfe, Maclaren, Wales...so no need to lose sleep over this.

Except Maclaren and Metcalfe, non of these players have started in any of the important games. I’m just putting it in perspective before people say that we missed half of our best team.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Big fan of Delbo but he has had a pretty shit preseason so far and an own goal to top.it off yesterday surely Windbichler gets a crack starting soon ? 

I'd like to see vision of the own goal before condemning Delbridge. Bouzanis has never inspired me as a reliable keeper. And remember, it's pre-season and the time to iron out these sorts of errors. 

As a general rule, I don't mind passing it around the defence, but I shudder every time we actually pass it back to our keeper. In my mind it invites trouble, and in this case that's just what we got.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'd like to see vision of the own goal before condemning Delbridge. Bouzanis has never inspired me as a reliable keeper. And remember, it's pre-season and the time to iron out these sorts of errors. 

As a general rule, I don't mind passing it around the defence, but I shudder every time we actually pass it back to our keeper. In my mind it invites trouble, and in this case that's just what we got.

I just feel like he has been bad in all games I've watched weather it's the Bart factor and he feels the pressure a bit more not sure!

I hope it's just him finding his feet with the new Gaffer 

36 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

I just feel like he has been bad in all games I've watched weather it's the Bart factor and he feels the pressure a bit more not sure!

I hope it's just him finding his feet with the new Gaffer 

I watched the first half yesterday and Bouzanis should be embarrassed by that, schoolboy error. Delbridge not at fault at all, he needs to worry more about his passes being intercepted going forward, as do most of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Mork said:

I watched the first half yesterday and Bouzanis should be embarrassed by that, schoolboy error. Delbridge not at fault at all, he needs to worry more about his passes being intercepted going forward, as do most of them.

Confirms what I suspected. There's not time to give Glover a go before the Cup match, but I hope we see him during the season. Bouzanis isn't the future as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1

On 11/09/2019 at 10:30 AM, Mork said:

54 minutes ago, Nate said:

Bouzanis error shown 10 seconds in to this video, wow.

Surely Glover gets a run ahead of him, that's actually fucked.

Undeniable that Bouzanis fucked up. But spare me if you think delbridge is free from responsibility. Had delbridge done what you learn when you first kick a ball and kept a simple back pass on the deck would Bouzanis have made a mistake? Instead he gives him back a ball 2 feet off the ground that ends up being a half volley that he couldnt clear first time and had to first gain control of.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Undeniable that Bouzanis fucked up. But spare me if you think delbridge is free from responsibility. Had delbridge done what you learn when you first kick a ball and kept a simple back pass on the deck would Bouzanis have made a mistake? Instead he gives him back a ball 2 feet off the ground that ends up being a half volley that he couldnt clear first time and had to first gain control of.

100%. Tbf though, passing to Delbridge with a man on his back in that part of the pitch is probably a high risk , minuscule reward scenario and isnt an overly good decision in the first place. Puts the defender under pressure to execute immediately. Shit football all round really.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

Maybe it would be better if the club did not advertise these "closed-doors" matches at all. What's the point of advertising that we're playing another club and then saying (in theory anyway) that no-one is supposed to come and watch? As it stands now, fans get uptight about the results of these matches when we've really got no idea of what the two clubs were intending to get out of them. We might as well start worrying about all the unseen fuck-ups that the players have made in their training 11 v. 11 matches. There's plenty going on at the club that would be more engaging for fans if the club chose to cover it. For starters, we've supposedly got a marquee player there who fans know almost nothing about, and maybe he'd be more popular if we knew a whole lot more about him. Likewise all the visa players.

It's all a storm in a teacup that didn't need to be there in the first place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Maybe it would be better if the club did not advertise these "closed-doors" matches at all. What's the point of advertising that we're playing another club and then saying (in theory anyway) that no-one is supposed to come and watch?

The club itself didn't post about the game until after it had been played.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Maybe it would be better if the club did not advertise these "closed-doors" matches at all. What's the point of advertising that we're playing another club and then saying (in theory anyway) that no-one is supposed to come and watch? As it stands now, fans get uptight about the results of these matches when we've really got no idea of what the two clubs were intending to get out of them. We might as well start worrying about all the unseen fuck-ups that the players have made in their training 11 v. 11 matches. There's plenty going on at the club that would be more engaging for fans if the club chose to cover it. For starters, we've supposedly got a marquee player there who fans know almost nothing about, and maybe he'd be more popular if we knew a whole lot more about him. Likewise all the visa players.

Because you're damned if you do and damned if you dont. People find out about them and then complain that the club isnt being transparent, see previous posts and facebook threads for evidence of that.

At the end of the day all the club can do atm is manage it in a way that tries to strike the balance.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Because you're damned if you do and damned if you dont. People find out about them and then complain that the club isnt being transparent, see previous posts and facebook threads for evidence of that.

At the end of the day all the club can do atm is manage it in a way that tries to strike the balance.

My thoughts too. 

I remember we played a friendly against a Chinese team earlier this year and a few of us were annoyed that they didn’t promote it. 

At least they’re being upfront with these friendlies. 

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Of all the things you mentioned the bolded part is the most the only thing that is of importance to us. The rest is just white noise jw to be perfectly frank. And like all things in life it's how you choose to respond to situations. So the club decided to mention we were playing a closed door friendly. Not sure what the big deal is. 

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

In fact I am pretty sure they didnt at one stage back in the Heart days and everyone blew up about it

I really dont have a clue if we are any good or not. We basically have all unkown VISA players (besides  already known useless marquee) and we havent really looked that convincing in the preseason games in the FFA Cup from what I could tell. But the biggest unknown is the manager.

I also think you could stretch that thought to any Journalist in Aus if they try and make a prediction. Unless they have seen some of our behind closed doors games?

Anyway, wether we like it or not I think Eccy has a free hit this season, they wont sack him no matter how bad it gets. Well outside losing every game and a player revolt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

I really dont have a clue if we are any good or not. We basically have all unkown VISA players (besides  already known useless marquee) and we havent really looked that convincing in the preseason games in the FFA Cup from what I could tell. But the biggest unknown is the manager.

I also think you could stretch that thought to any Journalist in Aus if they try and make a prediction. Unless they have seen some of our behind closed doors games?

Anyway, wether we like it or not I think Eccy has a free hit this season, they wont sack him no matter how bad it gets. Well outside losing every game and a player revolt

Spot on, we don’t know anything where we stand with all these new players’

On 12/09/2019 at 6:50 PM, Deluka said:

Very poor from Bouzanis, don’t mind playing from the back but have some common sense and know when to play it long - the WU player was riding Delbridge’s arse when he passed it, I’d say that probably meant HD wasn’t expecting the pass (not that it excuses it).

Absolutely. If you play this type of football irrespective then once in a while this is going to happen.Of course there's a place for playing out time, but I think nothing irks me more about modern football than the pass that goes straight back to the same player in virtually the same position as he was originally. Negative and boring. If we play this kind of shit then crowds will continue to fall.

A number of our goals this pre-season have come from our high press, and this we time we conceded from the same tactic. As you so rightly say, you have to know when to play it short, and when to play it long.

Practice match. Hopefully Momby is on their case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haz said:

Of course still pre season but Victory just beat WU 0-6

I'm not surprised. We have a solid squad, with depth mainly coming from our youth players, but we're underdone in the marquee department, and there's not been anything in our pre-season that indicates that we're going to score freely or have a tight defence. It's too early for predictions but my current thinking is that we're a mid-table side.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not surprised. We have a solid squad, with depth mainly coming from our youth players, but we're underdone in the marquee department, and there's not been anything in our pre-season that indicates that we're going to score freely or have a tight defence. It's too early for predictions but my current thinking is that we're a mid-table side.

My impression too, besides Noone, I don’t think any of our forward foreigners are going to make a massive impact - Too light and timed and then there is Berenguer.

• Like 1