Melbourne Football

Pre-season 2019-20

jw1739

2 hours ago, rass said:

Secondly I thought Genreau struggled early on and then looked better when bentleigh played their kids. Based on that, I don't think he's anywhere near metcalfe yet.

disagree.  he was playing in the middle where there were still Bentleigh XI playing.  he was better on the ball to be honest, better passes and touches, but metcalfe was playing more advanced in the first half. Genreau was playing dm not 8.  Perhaps metcalfe is slightly ahead but happy to have genreau as back up for brillante and metcalfe.  

Also, where was delbridge?  Hope is isnt frozen out, he was really promising.  

21 minutes ago, Originalmeme said:

Also, where was delbridge?  Hope is isnt frozen out, he was really promising.  

I'd say Erick is going through various combinations in these more competitive matches, based on the various XI vs. XI matches they have in training. I don't think anyone being "in" or "out" means anything at this stage. 

• Like 1

The attacking direction is becoming clearer now.

Short, sharp passes as we recycle possession and begin our transition from deep with really good use of 1-2s. A lot of movement off the ball as we go forward, breaking lines with clever passes and dribbles and a balanced approach to chance creation. 

Bouzanis played a very good game and was fundamental to our style. Brillante was solid but will keep improving as he understands the role. Atkinson played his best match in a long time and was providing great width with his overlapping runs. Luna was superb and is settling into that role nicely. Metcalfe is developing well. Berenguer is so comfortable on the ball and really exploits space well. Noone will be a huge source of our goals. Maclaren and Najjar are missing chances but they’ll calibrate their shooting with more minutes and Moudi is so lacking in self-belief it’s frustrating. 

They’re just a few observations of individual players but I’m heartened by our progress as a group so far. Still a ways to go but good progress after three unbeaten matches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I'd say Erick is going through various combinations in these more competitive matches, based on the various XI vs. XI matches they have in training. I don't think anyone being "in" or "out" means anything at this stage. 

However my reading was that Delbridge had a pretty poor game in the Cup and Good was far better. On current form, I'd say Good and Windy are ahead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

However my reading was that Delbridge had a pretty poor game in the Cup and Good was far better. On current form, I'd say Good and Windy are ahead. 

Maybe, and could be close. 

What are people's opinion of Griffiths being more of a CB, maybe a 4th choice? Although he was basically playing against kids he surprised me and his composure. 

24 minutes ago, Heartman said:

What are people's opinion of Griffiths being more of a CB, maybe a 4th choice? Although he was basically playing against kids he surprised me and his composure. 

Good move on his behalf as it means you take the backup CB option on the bench, as well as the DM sub. That flexibility makes you a primo bench option.

19 minutes ago, Heartman said:

It suits him better IMO. I think he’d be more comfortable with the play in front of him, especially as he loses what’s left of his pace. His control and passing skills would make him quite dangerous too. 

Was good to see Luna playing central and forward one Metcalfe went off. He opened up players and created many many opportunities for our forwards something that Metcalfe is not capable of in any game he has played.

Jamieson is poor and we really need to have a better option for LB.

Florin just can't take a trick lacks the final ball and really needs to smarten up.

There are some big decisions Mombaerts needs to make in the next month or so to have starting 11 settled.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Was good to see Luna playing central and forward one Metcalfe went off. He opened up players and created many many opportunities for our forwards something that Metcalfe is not capable of in any game he has played.

Jamieson is poor and we really need to have a better option for LB.

Florin just can't take a trick lacks the final ball and really needs to smarten up.

There are some big decisions Mombaerts needs to make in the next month or so to have starting 11 settled.

To be fair in the first 25 minutes Metcalfe created all of our decent forward movements not to the same class as Luna but I think your being a bit harsh on the lad!

I thought it was giving up the ball to easily at times was his problem 

• Like 1

Fkn Atkinsons workrate and strength is brutal. So happy for him to take the RB spot over Galloway. 

Metcalfe will do well with more consistent senior football. Has a spark - not total awareness or vision but the capacity to develop these over the season.

Narjaarine will be an exciting prospect this season if he stays fit. I suspect we may see his introduction phased in.

Najaar is solid. I like his hold up play and presence. Obviously his reflex and accuracy need to be worked on. He has the makings of a very special player.

Our youth excite me. Mostly because I do not feel they are a liability if played, and will bring a competitive skill to the team.

Oh and Luna and Noone - going to absolutely dominate if they can stay fit.

My only question mark is whether we can limit conceding goals. I feel we have no gauge as our preseason hitouts have not been against relatively strong competition. Time will tell!

If anything - it will be a return to entertaining football perhaps frustratingly marred by points lost.

• Like 3

On 07/08/2019 at 1:02 PM, bt50 said:

I reckon you've undersold that goal something shocking! If i scored that and you called it a poke i'd be sooking for a month :D

@bt50 I'll concede on that. It looks all class on the short highlights package. I happened to be absolutely right behind the line of the ball at the actual match, and it was impossible to judge both the distance and the flight of the ball from there. So I should not have made the call I did.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@bt50 I'll concede on that. It looks all class on the short highlights package. I happened to be absolutely right behind the line of the ball at the actual match, and it was impossible to judge both the distance and the flight of the ball from there. So I should not have made the call I did.

Hmm so was I, must have been not far away from you JW.

You could see that unfold a mile away as the keeper was off his line and backtracking slowly.

22 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

So, where are the next pre season games to be played , have heard nothing from the club so far ??

The next one will be the FFA Cup match against Marconi on 21st August. IMO we'll hear from the club again after that match.

31 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

hope it's school ground rules, captains get to pick their sides, no outs, everyone picks on the french kid.

You must have gone to my school...or were they all the same? We played in the playground, with a tennis ball. In the summer cricket likewise - over the fence six and out, catch had to be one handed off the wall, and all that stuff. Those were the days - it built the Empire. Nowadays the silly bastards are all looking at their 'phones.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

You must have gone to my school...or were they all the same? We played in the playground, with a tennis ball. In the summer cricket likewise - over the fence six and out, catch had to be one handed off the wall, and all that stuff. Those were the days - it built the Empire. Nowadays the silly bastards are all looking at their 'phones.

So So sounds like my school we did exactly the same with about twenty a side .

Preseason results, gelling, etc. mean nothing. Couldn't really care less or more how we go in our preseason games. It all matters once that season starts. Course is like to go deep in the ffa cup though but have no qualms with dropping out to any aleague teams from this point onward. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pre-season completely pisses me off these days. It was different in the earlier days when you could go along and see Heart with triallists playing, but we don't do that now. We're packaging and plasticising everything, and it certainly doesn't resonate with me. It's football that we want - not releases of this, that, and the other -  wow! - hey, you lot, get excited about the release of the fixture!  Why not start the season earlier with a League Cup competition or something like that? We've got to get fans connected with and interested in the clubs for a longer period than we do now.

Edited by jw1739