Melbourne Football

Pre-season 2019-20

jw1739

2 hours ago, Tomi said:

What a shit post Mr Negative!

Thanks mate, did you get the part where I said I left somewhat optimistic from what I saw?

Obviously not.

2 hours ago, Tomi said:

Geeze mate, what's your beef with the youth players? "No way he should start" ??? You all whinge on here about giving youth a chance and finally when one does, you rubbish him?? Pathetic!! Metcalfe smashed it last night. 

I don't winge about it, people look at sun shining out of their arses because they have these youth fetishes like you but I don't, I want the best players on the pitch period. People tend to bias their observations by only looking at the good things when it come to youth but I don't. I said Metcalfe shouldn't start , not that he shouldn't be given the opportunity to play. There is a difference you know.

2 hours ago, Tomi said:

McLaren is a gun," wtf did he do?? Please share with us his brilliance.

Easy, 90% of his runs were timed perfectly beating the defence if the ball was delivered correctly. Positioning is 90% of being a good striker, the rest is up to the others to deliver correct passes to support his runs. That's why we need a gun CAM as many have said since Mooy left.

As I said, I left optimistic because I can see the Mombaerts influence on our style with only 2 weeks into our training and it already looks more direct.

Edit.

Comedy relief was Bouzanis. Even Mombaerts was laughing when he let the first goal graze his right shoulder.

Edited by playmaker
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Excellent summary!

I remember that being one of biggest issues with Bouzanis.....he watches balls go past him rather than making an attempt, frustrating as some shots are within reach.

I was beginning to doubt my judgement of Bouzanis, so it's a relief that others have the same opinion as I do. He just stood and watched Oakleigh's second goal, and that's not good enough.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Thanks mate, did you get the part where I said I left somewhat optimistic from what I saw?

Obviously not.

I don't winge about it, people look at sun shining out of their arses because they have these youth fetishes like you but I don't, I want the best players on the pitch period. People tend to bias their observations by only looking at the good things when it come to youth but I don't. I said Metcalfe shouldn't start , not that he shouldn't be given the opportunity to play. There is a difference you know.

Easy, 90% of his runs were timed perfectly beating the defence if the ball was delivered correctly. Positioning is 90% of being a good striker, the rest is up to the others to deliver correct passes to support his runs. That's why we need a gun CAM as many have said since Mooy left.

As I said, I left optimistic because I can see the Mombaerts influence on our style with only 2 weeks into our training and it already looks more direct.

Edit.

Comedy relief was Bouzanis. Even Mombaerts was laughing when he let the first goal graze his right shoulder.

You seriously sound confused. In one breath, you say Metcalfe shouldn’t start and in the next he should be given opportunity. Isn’t a pre season friendly the perfect place to give the kid a chance??? I’m certain he would have been just filling in until Luna gets his fitness up. So rather than jumping on with “Metcalfe was rubbish” …….” Metcalfe missed many opportunities to deliver the ball at the right time”…….. “especially Metcalfe he held the ball way too long,” ......how about applauding the things he did right? That's what real fans do isn't it? We must have watched different games because what I saw was a youth kid who outshone experienced players on big bux. 

Who else in your opinion should have 'started' in place of Luna?....... Griffiths? Wales? Genreau? If you had stayed for the final third you would have seen those experienced players have a shocker.

I agree with JW, "Metcalfe was easily the best forward we had."

22 minutes ago, Tomi said:

You seriously sound confused. In one breath, you say Metcalfe shouldn’t start and in the next he should be given opportunity. Isn’t a pre season friendly the perfect place to give the kid a chance??? I’m certain he would have been just filling in until Luna gets his fitness up. So rather than jumping on with “Metcalfe was rubbish” …….” Metcalfe missed many opportunities to deliver the ball at the right time”…….. “especially Metcalfe he held the ball way too long,” ......how about applauding the things he did right? That's what real fans do isn't it? We must have watched different games because what I saw was a youth kid who outshone experienced players on big bux. 

Who else in your opinion should have 'started' in place of Luna?....... Griffiths? Wales? Genreau? If you had stayed for the final third you would have seen those experienced players have a shocker.

@Tomi I can't be bothered arguing with Playmaker over this. Mombaerts has had many of his squad - not all - available for three weeks, and based on what he has seen he elected to give Metcalfe a place in the starting line-up, so I'd say what you and I saw last night is what Mombaerts has seen in the lad. Enough said for me.

I'm now looking forward to see who Mombaerts selects for the Campbelltown match.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

I didn’t go and only saw bits and pieces via the live stream (thanks to whoever that was) so I’m not very well-informed here...

It’s going to take a bit of time for the players to get used to this new system, especially in competitive situations. It’s no surprise to me that we were sloppy. Playing on a soaked deck, first match of the pre-season with quite a few new players didn’t help.

Also, the turnaround was clearly too quick for Luna, but we should see him next Wednesday. 

This for mine. I didn't go either, but given the weather and hence pitch, plus that we're only a few weeks into a pre-season with new manager, system and players - anyone who thought we would play fast, free flowing attacking football and win 10-0, is totally delusional.

Next week will be a better representation, but even then we won't be clicking 100%, so hopefully we can do enough to get the win and progress through to the next round.

...but as long as we're clicking by end of September, then I couldn't give a toss about how last night went and picking through each individual performance is pretty much pointless.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

Obviously not.

Edit.

If I had to choose to watch a game with anyone on here it'd be you @playmaker

1 hour ago, Tomi said:

You have a comprehension problem.

Yes it is good he started, no he shouldnt start beyond this game, yes he needs to be given opportunities going forward, no he should not be given a starting opportunity.

Don't know how to make it clearer tbh.

9 minutes ago, n i k o said:

If I had to choose to watch a game with anyone on here it'd be you @playmaker

At least you would have a laugh.

Most of the time I am bagging myself for my own stupid comments.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

Disappointing outcome.  Early days but City and Oakley should be like day and night. It also means that our visa players are not that much dominant even over NPL, similar goes to domestic players. The coach was smart and scheduled extended game where club has advantage with longer bench and better fitness training. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, playmaker said:

You have a comprehension problem.

Yes it is good he started, no he shouldnt start beyond this game, yes he needs to be given opportunities going forward, no he should not be given a starting opportunity.

Don't know how to make it clearer tbh.

At least you would have a laugh.

Most of the time I am bagging myself for my own stupid comments.

Lol....if I have a comprehension problem, then you have a drinking problem.

First comment from you..... "I said Metcalfe shouldn't start , not that he shouldn't be given the opportunity to play."

Second comment from you..... "Yes it is good he started, no he shouldnt start beyond this game, yes he needs to be given opportunities going forward, no he should not be given a starting opportunity."

..........stay off the turps champ glug glug glug

23 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Who won the argument

Whingers always win

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

Who won the argument

The real question we need to ask ourselves are these:

Am I properly equipped to interrogate what I read?

Do I rely on others for news or do I aggregate and review my own information?

Am I prepared for the potential battle for my mind?

Do I truly know my enemy?

Certain people will find it beneficial to spend some time with Miss Lippy.

I did.

Miss Lippy : I want you all to meet a new friend Playmaker. Can everyone say hello to Playmaker?

First Grade Class : Hello, Playmaker.

Playmaker: Well, I made the duck blue because I'd never seen a blue duck before and I wanted to see one.

Miss Lippy : Well, I think it's an excellent blue duck. Congratulations Playmaker, you just passed the first grade.

Playmaker: Wow Miss Lippy, that's great. What do you think of that Mr. Blue Duck?

[pretending to be duck] 

Playmaker: That's quacktastic.

Edited by playmaker

No keeper is saving that first goal.

The second goal was sloppy, too slow to react to the second ball and close down the free man outside the box.

The third should’ve been dealt with by Good. Tried to play it out but missed.

Offensively we looked ok. Very rusty but some nice touches and passes. We seem to be focusing on crosses quite a bit, getting good width. Hard to get a read on things based on highlights and without Luna in the XI. 

A lot of things to work on for Le Patron but still plenty of time before the real thing. 

Very edgy reading. Any anonymous readers would infer a lifetime of unfilfulled dreams and promises and consistent failures to meet expectations. It is as if people really want to see this club succeed? Funny that.

I was there. Bouzanis took me back straight to the nerves of 2017. Cheers for the banter from the active. 

I thought Metcalfe played well. I remember back last season he played well in seniors too. Both him, Ramy and Najaar seem to be quality up and comers. It is exciting having them at City and hopefully they do well as a result.

Credit where credit is due too - whilst we held the ball for long periods Oakleigh did not play crap football. They kept up pace and created some good chances. Whilst freezing it was great to be back.

Edited by JMSTEP123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

bouzanis shouldn't even be our 2nd gk, fucken spastic 

At A League level, Bouzanis is starting in 6-7 out of 11 teams. We just happen to have a much better goal keeper in Biraghitti, so we should use him - not keep him on the bench for another season.

I find that hard to agree with that assertion, out of the following keepers who would you put behind Bouzanis; WU Kurto, MV Thomas, Syd Redmayne,  WSW Lopar, Adel Izzo, Perth Reddy, Well Jones, CCM Kennedy, Bris Young, Newcastle Moss/Italiano. Id think he'd replace Welly only for sure and then you could argue CCM and Newcatle

20 hours ago, Harrison said:

No keeper is saving that first goal.

The second goal was sloppy, too slow to react to the second ball and close down the free man outside the box.

The third should’ve been dealt with by Good. Tried to play it out but missed.

Offensively we looked ok. Very rusty but some nice touches and passes. We seem to be focusing on crosses quite a bit, getting good width. Hard to get a read on things based on highlights and without Luna in the XI. 

A lot of things to work on for Le Patron but still plenty of time before the real thing. 

Whether or not Bouzanis could have saved either of the goals isn't the issue for me. What irritates me - and I think his other critics - is that he appears not to even move and just watches the ball go into the net. And we've seen him do it time and time again - another example was McGree's so-called scorpion goal where he just watched it go past him.

FMD  even a hack GK like I once was knows that you have to throw yourself around and make every possible effort to get at least a touch on the ball. Once in a while you will actually pull off the save and that can make the difference to a whole season.

If I was the coach I would throw the book at Bouzanis. His so-called kicking was shit too.

Otherwise I tend to agree with your overall sentiments. It won't hurt the players or the new coaching team to come up short against Oakleigh on a foul night in pre-season one little bit. It will give them all something to think about and work on. I'd rather see this first up than us breeze through a series of matches winning 2-0 and 3-1 etc., because this will teach us more in the long run.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree with that jw 1739 after all it was the first pre season game and we just need to calm down a bit. I have never been a fan of Bouzanis and where anyone gets the impression that his kicks are great and the non movement when shots go past him is in my humble opinion disgraceful .

• Like 1

Seems the manager has a decision to make. A ball-playing goalkeeper that's prone to clangers, or a better shot stopper with average distribution.

Strange how football has developed that your goalkeeper can determine how a team passes the ball. Could genuinely become a position where they will be rotated depending on how direct Mombaerts wants to play each week.

7 minutes ago, Bob Latchford said:

Seems the manager has a decision to make. A ball-playing goalkeeper that's prone to clangers, or a better shot stopper with average distribution.

Strange how football has developed that your goalkeeper can determine how a team passes the ball. Could genuinely become a position where they will be rotated depending on how direct Mombaerts wants to play each week.

Man I hope Mombaerts is that flexible and adaptable with his tactics.

I'm sure that if a pig rocked up to training last year and stopped a few goals (while also passing its skin fold tests), we would have seen the pig play in goal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, haz said:

I'm sure that if a pig rocked up to training last year and stopped a few goals (while also passing its skin fold tests), we would have seen the pig play in goal.

Shouldn't be too hard at an elite level to have an attacking philosophy and change it up to a more direct method should it be needed.

Play a default mentality of keeping the ball and attack down the wings and cross/play diagonal pass against those team with deeper defensive lines, as shown against Oakleigh.

Those teams that play a high line and press to combat the passing then become susceptible to the long ball in behind for the front 3 to latch onto. 

9 minutes ago, haz said:

No self respecting porker would get anywhere near passing a skin fold test... I rest my case. 

4 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Birighitti is a good distributor and better shot stopper. Light years ahead of bouzanis clear number 1 

I can't for the life of me work out where this perception that Bouzanis is a good distributor of the ball comes from.

If you watch his actual distribution it varies between acceptible to absolute trash with the very rare instance of us scoring that one goal.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, malloy said:

I can't for the life of me work out where this perception that Bouzanis is a good distributor of the ball comes from.

If you watch his actual distribution it varies between acceptible to absolute trash with the very rare instance of us scoring that one goal.

I think he’s quite good. Probably one of the best at this level. He tries difficult passes and only the best in the world can hit them with some regularity. 

His ability with the ball at his feet is what is most important though under Mombaerts. From memory Birighitti wasn’t as good with his feet but it’s been a while since I’ve watched him. 

But Dean’s strengths suit our new style. Maybe he drops him for the FFA Cup match but I’d be surprised.

• Like 1

Just now, playmaker said:

Please explain

More comfortable with the ball at his feet than Birighitti (again I’m not completely sure of that yet because it’s been a while since I’ve watched Mark) but if/when we enter the transition phase and/or when establishing possession then Dean can be used as the outlet pass. Plus, the long diagonal ball that IMO Dean is quite good at makes us a lot harder to defend because of unpredictability.  

Ability on the ball might be what Mombaerts values most highly, and I think it’s why Dean was selected. 

Whether he starts next week I’m not sure but I think it’s likely. 

1 minute ago, Harrison said:

More comfortable with the ball at his feet than Birighitti (again I’m not completely sure of that yet because it’s been a while since I’ve watched Mark) but if/when we enter the transition phase and/or when establishing possession then Dean can be used as the outlet pass. Plus, the long diagonal ball that IMO Dean is quite good at makes us a lot harder to defend because of unpredictability.  

Ability on the ball might be what Mombaerts values most highly, and I think it’s why Dean was selected. 

While I agree this trait has some value, I would much rather have a competent shot stopper in goals and leave the passing to the outfield players.

We should have learnt that lesson when Thomas got replaced by Dean and we leaked goals all season.

The best shot stopper should be in goals period.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Mombaerts didn’t look happy with about Bouzanis game against Oakleigh. 

Hardly comparable one is a Australian International GK and the other is Bouzanis. 

Birightti is a good distributor and a better shot stopper which is what a goal keeper is there to do. Bouzanis was horrible on Tuesday.