Melbourne Football

Pre-season 2019-20

jw1739

4 minutes ago, haz said:

Anyone got a link to Talking City coverage that doesn't require a Facebook account?

Not streaming as had issues 

4 minutes ago, haz said:

4 minutes ago, haz said:

Don't know what happened with my quoting lol

Edited by HughJass
  • Thanks 1

I thought that the first two 40-minute "thirds" were very interesting - we didn't stay for the remainder because of the weather. First, the kit is shithouse,  looks as if it's dirty and the lettering on the back is too small and cramped and it's hard to read the names.

Overall my question is "where are the goals going to come from?" I thought Metcalfe was easily the best forward we had. Cabrera and Noone both looked rusty, Noone the better of the two based on tonight.  Maclaren does a lot of running, but he doesn't seem to be the focal point that we need to score a lot of goals. Berenguer had plenty of the ball, but he doesn't do a lot with it.

In midfield and at the back I thought we played it sideways far too often, and didn't seem to have the penetration that had been promised. Delbridge looked solid. Oakleigh really outplayed us in the second "third", hitting the bar with Bouzanis nowhere and then two quick goals. I suspect Mombaerts didn't think much of Oakleigh's second and pulled Bouzanis off as a result. That's what it looked like. Atkinson looked good when he came on.

Very early days. The result doesn't mean anything, but IMO we need to work on getting the ball forward quicker and creating more opportunities in front of goal.

Lousy weather to cop on your first competitive hit-out of the season.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Early days, as you say, but any comments on our style of play?

We weren't as incisive as I thought we would be. There was a lot of tippy-tappy stuff that would look nice on a warm summer's afternoon, but the net result wasn't a whole lot of real opportunities inside the box. 

Metcalfe easily my pick for the first two "thirds." Has to start in the FFA Cup match.

Just now, jw1739 said:

We weren't as incisive as I thought we would be. There was a lot of tippy-tappy stuff that would look nice on a warm summer's afternoon, but the net result wasn't a whole lot of real opportunities inside the box. 

Metcalfe easily my pick for the first two "thirds." Has to start in the FFA Cup match.

How did Luna go ?

Metcalfe was rubbish. 80% of his possession he turned over. At A-league standard we would get murdered. No way he should start.

Jamieson is at a major crossroad as he is slow and clumsy and we should have an alternative asap.

Florin and Brillante looked comfortable and hardly made errors with both trying to feed balls centrally through the opposition defence which was nice to see.

McLaren is a gun and Metcalfe, Noone and Cabrera missed many opportunities to deliver the ball at the right time, especially Metcalfe he held the ball way too long.

Gallaway excellent acquisition.

Cabrera and Noone look class but just off the pace ATM.

Overall we looked like we were playing more central in attack but had a few relapses in taking the ball too wide which really doesn't suit Maclaren.

Didn't stay for the last 40.

Hopefully Luna starts next game and has the quality to provide service to Jamie and provides that central attacking target in our midfield.

Left somewhat optimistic from what I saw.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, playmaker said:

Metcalfe was rubbish. 80% of his possession he turned over. At A-league standard we would get murdered. No way he should start.

Jamieson is at a major crossroad as he is slow and clumsy and we should have an alternative asap.

Florin and Brillante looked comfortable and hardly made errors with both trying to feed balls centrally through the opposition defence which was nice to see.

McLaren is a gun and Metcalfe, Noone and Cabrera missed many opportunities to deliver the ball at the right time, especially Metcalfe he held the ball way too long.

Gallaway excellent acquisition.

Cabrera and Noone look class but just off the pace ATM.

Overall we looked like we were playing more central in attack but had a few relapses in taking the ball too wide which really doesn't suit Maclaren.

Didn't stay for the last 40.

Hopefully Luna starts next game and has the quality to provide service to Jamie and provides that central attacking target in our midfield.

Left somewhat optimistic from what I saw.

What a shit post Mr Negative!! It's a pre season friendly. New players need time to gel, they've been together 3 weeks!!!

Geeze mate, what's your beef with the youth players? "No way he should start" ??? You all whinge on here about giving youth a chance and finally when one does, you rubbish him?? Pathetic!! Metcalfe smashed it last night.  "McLaren is a gun," wtf did he do?? Please share with us his brilliance. He scored a tap in against Oakleigh's youth side. Metcalfe scores a belter against Oakleigh's fist team and its "rubbish" ????? You sound like a wet lemon! 

If you wanted to see some real turn over in possession, you should have stayed for the final third.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Cabrera looked a real exciting prospect out there. Granted maybe slightly rusty, but plenty of energy and very eager to take the game on. He'll do very well in this league.
Windbichler had a really promising game as well. Not afraid to give instructions and run the backline. He's not Bart, but he'll do us just fine.
Noone of all the players looked the most rusty out there, wasn't really prepared to run hard for the through balls, let them just roll more often than not, this could perhaps be symptomatic of it being a friendly? 
Berenguer was playing like the one we'd come to know during the first half of last season - poor touch and counter productive passing.
I really felt for Moudi Najjar, I want this kid to succeed so desperately, but he really did have a poor night. Other than his penalties he squandered all his chances and point blank missed an open net.

Stylistically there was and wasnt a shift. We are definitely still attempting to play possession heavy football. We are still playing out from the back, having our defenders pass it around between themselves at nauseam. However, we are absolutely playing a more attacking brand. All our players looked to play the ball forward into the box and didnt shy away from any opportunity. I saw more creative and attacking plays last night than I did all last season, the issue we learnt will be that of 16-17 season and not leaking sloppy goals.

One of my highlights of the night was Mombaerts subbing Bouzanis off early because when he was easily one of our worst players out there. Could have very well let another goal through that hit the cross bar - he didn't even make an attempt to try and stop it. Why I liked this so much was that I think it was such an anti-warren joyce move. Joyce would persist with out of form players for no rational reason. Birighitti has to start in our FFA Cup game - if he doesn't I'm positive it points to him leaving before the season starts.

Player number shifts:
Bouzanis now wears number 23 (which is somewhat scandalous in it of itself) 
Berenguer now wears number 10

Biggest disappointment of the night: not getting a souvlaki because the line was too long.

That’s why although I wish we kept Bart I think we will be fine. Bart and Delbridge were a similar type IMO. I don’t think one is that calm head at the back who instructs and Marshalls. So if Wind bitch is that type. Then that’s all for the better.

I didn’t go and only saw bits and pieces via the live stream (thanks to whoever that was) so I’m not very well-informed here...

It’s going to take a bit of time for the players to get used to this new system, especially in competitive situations. It’s no surprise to me that we were sloppy. Playing on a soaked deck, first match of the pre-season with quite a few new players didn’t help.

Also, the turnaround was clearly too quick for Luna, but we should see him next Wednesday. 

• Like 1