Melbourne Football

Pre-season 2019-20

jw1739

The pre-season matches are good. I've been to quite a few - in fact all those I can get to. Results shouldn't be taken too seriously. For City it's mainly about getting structures and tactics right and developing understandings between the players. There'll be plenty of City player changes during the match. For the local sides there's a lot of pride at stake and a chance for players to show if they have A-League potential.

Food and drink on sale. But it's usually bloody cold as the match wears on.

Overall a good opportunity to enjoy some football.

11 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

will make my best effort to get to the bentleigh game, but by god its hard getting their from carlton.

Nice set-up at the Bentleigh Greens home ground, but you're right, the very devil to get there unless you live in the area. Your best bet would be to drive because there is parking. I live reasonably close, but due to a prior arrangement, it's the one that I will have to miss!

8 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

You should try from EPPING.

Don't talk about Epping...now you blokes know what we're talking about when we say it's hard to get from here to Bundoora...

IMO overall it's best for the club to try and play pre-season matches in various locations and not favour any particular area of Greater Melbourne. Spreading it around will help memberships in the longer term.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Don't talk about Epping...now you blokes know what we're talking about when we say it's hard to get from here to Bundoora...

IMO overall it's best for the club to try and play pre-season matches in various locations and not favour any particular area of Greater Melbourne. Spreading it around will help memberships in the longer term.

I’m surprised they aren’t going west.

7 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

The Talking City boys would piss themselves. 

That’s right they look down on the western suburbs haha.

They are having clinics there so can’t see why no friendlies to enlarge exposure. But to be fair I don’t think many thoughts go into to where they are being played it’s more about the right opponent and availability.

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

That’s right they look down on the western suburbs haha.

They are having clinics there so can’t see why no friendlies to enlarge exposure. But to be fair I don’t think many thoughts go into to where they are being played it’s more about the right opponent and availability.

Nearest we've got in previous seasons has been Ballarat.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, citypool said:

So it’s $10 for members to go to this match but how do we prove we’re members?

also starting team vs oakleigh?

@citypool At past matches there's sometimes been someone there with a list. But they'll take your word for it when you line up to get a ticket. Wear a City scarf - it's all very friendly and relaxed at these matches. They have good food at Oakleigh.

I'm in the "opt-in" scheme. As part of that I received a little cardboard fold out item that confirms membership for 2019-20. Have you got one of those?

10 minutes ago, n i k o said:

So do I but not at the cost of winning a title. If those guys can contribute to us winning I'm all for them playing as much as possible. 

Think he means in the pre-season. 

Genreau seems primed to take the next step. Although they’re all talented kids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

So do I but not at the cost of winning a title. If those guys can contribute to us winning I'm all for them playing as much as possible. 

That goes for all players. Joyce played older players that were not performing and never gave some of these younger boys a decent go. Not good enough you don't play old or young but FFS give them a chance. 

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@citypool At past matches there's sometimes been someone there with a list. But they'll take your word for it when you line up to get a ticket. Wear a City scarf - it's all very friendly and relaxed at these matches. They have good food at Oakleigh.

I'm in the "opt-in" scheme. As part of that I received a little cardboard fold out item that confirms membership for 2019-20. Have you got one of those?

No I don’t really mind paying $5 more if it goes to the clubs 

1 hour ago, AXIOM said:

That goes for all players. Joyce played older players that were not performing and never gave some of these younger boys a decent go. Not good enough you don't play old or young but FFS give them a chance. 

That just not true. I'm no Joyce fan and glad he has left, but saying he didn't play younger boys is just wrong. 

He played exclusively those that followed. He played Wales over O'halloran for some bizarre reason for example. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Heartman said:

That just not true. I'm no Joyce fan and glad he has left, but saying he didn't play younger boys is just wrong. 

He played exclusively those that followed. He played Wales over O'halloran for some bizarre reason for example. 

However you could point to him persisting with Florin, who was manifestly under-performing for almost an entire season, over all of the alternatives we had.

I don't think that he favoured anyone based on age. On the evidence of the two seasons here, Joyce just "plays favourites," and that's not a good characteristic for a manager to have.

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

However you could point to him persisting with Florin, who was manifestly under-performing for almost an entire season, over all of the alternatives we had.

I don't think that he favoured anyone based on age. On the evidence of the two seasons here, Joyce just "plays favourites," and that's not a good characteristic for a manager to have.

Totally agree. He continued with blokes who deserved a rest and didn't give others a crack and from the outside was down to some weirdo logic and I don't think age/experience had much to do with it.

Pre-season match at Oakleigh 23rd July at 7.30 p.m.
According to an e-mail I've just received from the club...on Monday 2019-20 members will receive an e-mail with an e-ticket to the Oakleigh match, which can be shown at the gate on paper or on your 'phone screen.

5 hours ago, Heartman said:

Wales is 21 not exactly youth. Only Atkinson was given a fair crack (and was average) at rb which hes not, Metcalfe Najjarime najjar Pierias cavallo genreau got fuck all game time. Plenty of opportunities to play them in their preferred positions but chose to play older players out of position. 

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

100%