Melbourne Football

The New Federal Sports Minister

Sash

. . . is a Heart fan. According to Offsiders this morning. While this is nice, the important thing is that it should hopefully help the club to get funding for developing the facilities at La Trobe.

If this happens, it will not only mean better training and recovery facilities for the players, but better facilities should also make us a more attractive club for players to come to.

After last week's business lunch, it's promising to see the club developing relationships with business and government. Together with the community focus, it should help in building the club. There's a long, long way to go, but it's been a good couple of weeks for the club - on and off the pitch.

• Like 1

I heard there were over 500 people and almost 60 business at that lunch, good signs for the club financially.

Not really that into the politics side of shit... BUT, if it gives us any advantage at all, its fantastic news.

However, the down side is Arbib jumped of the sinking ship, which is set to be out of Parliament in a little over 12 months.

Edited by LR9

It's all good to have a laugh about our top range ice bins, but has anyone actually played on the training grounds at La Trobe? The thing is a bloody duck pond. Not sure if that's where all trainings are held, but I trained on it the other day, and felt like I'd been swimming for a couple of hours.

Sure, in dry weather it's probably the best surface I've kicked a ball on, but for a professional squad it is shocking. It's also is shared with 100 other teams from around the area, and has deteriorated significantly since uni started.

Who knows, this might be normal for the A-League, but I was just shocked when I first saw it. Are there any already existing plans to improve facilities?

. . . is a Heart fan. According to Offsiders this morning. While this is nice, the important thing is that it should hopefully help the club to get funding for developing the facilities at La Trobe.

Pretty sure this is not how it works.

Pretty sure this is not how it works.

The club wants to upgrade facilities and I think has made some plans. I think they're also looking for government funding. I don't know how likely it is, but if access to government ministers doesn't help, why do so many people and organisations seek it? It's not that she's a Heart supporter as such, it's that the board or Scott Munn probably have contact with her and she'll at least give it consideration. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Good thread, this.

Out of the folks in Parliament, Lundy is one that actually has a decent level of understanding regarding sport.

There is capacity for both State and Feds to invest in sports facilities, especially when investments are at the upper levels. The links to the Uni would make it even more of interest to the Feds.

Think the club is sensible trying to woo the business community too. Would be hoping we can turn it into some good sponsorship next year.

Why cant we take out some 5 or 6 million $ loan and then use incoming transfers fees to pay it off over the course of 30 years or something

1. Its not owned by us, why would we spend money developing it?

2. No one will give us a loan of 5 or 6 mil.

Mods should Merge this and 'Heart Stadium' thread.

One is a reasonable thread about getting some gov funding to have training facilities upgraded, the other is a fantasy thread about having our own stadium that isn't worth posting in. Rather not ruin this thread by merging it with the other one.