Melbourne Football

19/20 best line up

Missing_Moy

With alot of off season to go 3 visas to sign and 1 marquee 

Hoping for a invest heavily in the first 11 approach 

As we've got some great kids that can come off the bench 

Need to sign 2 central midfielders one very attacking and one with a good balance (Brattan imo) 

Then a decent CB Bart hopefully 

73BD5857-72BC-4A24-A2C4-D582B89A2936.jpeg

Edited by Missing_Moy

16 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

With alot of off season to go 3 visas to sign and 1 marquee 

Hoping for a invest heavily in the first 11 approach 

As we've got some great kids that can come off the bench 

Need to sign 2 central midfielders one very attacking and one with a good balance (Brattan imo) 

Then a decent CB Bart hopefully 

73BD5857-72BC-4A24-A2C4-D582B89A2936.jpeg

Florin will play attacking mid and Wales will be out wide. Good will stay and start ahead of Griffiths.

• Like 3

I think Mombaerts will go with a 4-2-3-1, so using the players we've contracted so far:

Birighitti

Galloway/Good/Delbridge/Jamieson

Griffiths/Baccus

Noone/Genreau/Berenguer

Maclaren

-

Decent XI but it's lacking a match winner. Bring in a quality 10 and we've got a good shot at the title, although Genreau looks promising. 

22 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I think Mombaerts will go with a 4-2-3-1, so using the players we've contracted so far:

Birighitti

Galloway/Good/Delbridge/Jamieson

Griffiths/Baccus

Noone/Genreau/Berenguer

Maclaren

-

Decent XI but it's lacking a match winner. Bring in a quality 10 and we've got a good shot at the title, although Genreau looks promising. 

Baccus can fuck off out of the XI. Useless player

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO Baccus, Griffiths and Berenguer will all struggle to get a start if our remaining signings are quality.

Hate to see a VISA spot wasted though. Hopefully Berenguer and Mombaets connect somehow and Berenguer at least improves slightly.

• Like 1

birra

galloway, delbo/good, bart (we can only pray), jamo

baccus, metcalfe,

florin/new signing

noone, jmac, signing

can see us winning with that.

if baccus can build his attacking game more, happy with him to play. tackles well, keeps the ball 9/10 times well.  has the capacity to play a good direct pass but doesnt do it enough (stifled by joyce i bet)

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Bring in a quality 10 and we've got a good shot at the title, although Genreau looks promising. 

I think this type of post has been made every season since Fred got injured. 

The ironic thing is that's it's absolutely true, although the season and a half we had it (with Mooy) We still found a way to fuck it up.

15 minutes ago, Bob Latchford said:

Don't understand the Baccus hate. Did what he was told by Joyce and did it well. Won the ball back quite a lot and thought his best game was when we won 2-0 away to Sydney.

Nope you can't blame Joyce. He had every opportunity to take risks be it a pass or a shot and nearly every time he chose the safe option. 

If he is a regular starter (Playing like he did last season) We are going backwards. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Nope you can't blame Joyce. He had every opportunity to take risks be it a pass or a shot and nearly every time he chose the safe option. 

If he is a regular starter (Playing like he did last season) We are going backwards. 

But it would have been Joyce asking him to play it safe, no? Keep the ball at all costs.

• Like 2

IMO the problem we have with Baccus is that is he is very predictable - get the ball, turn backwards, two or three more touches to get the ball on his right foot and then play a long looping pass out towards the left wing. By which time all forward momentum has been lost. He's also very reluctant to have a crack at goal.

Wouldn't account for Genreau being apart of our team in the 19/20 season. He said on an interview with the Daily Football show that he has every intention of staying in Europe. So he may have come back to work out another loan or maybe selling him for a fee, but I highly doubt he'll be playing in City Blue next season. 

Edited by IssySG
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Latchford said:

But it would have been Joyce asking him to play it safe, no? Keep the ball at all costs.

thats what i was getting at, joyce took away any risk in our game, when baccus did have a crack at a forward ball it was usually very good as he finds himself in some great forward space sometimes  because he turned or got rid of his marker (but then will play back or to the side).

Baccus shouldn't be used as an 8. Square peg...

All of his qualities suit the 6 but Joyce more often than not used him as the 8, especially towards the end of the season.

Baccus will get used as a 6 quite a bit by Mombaerts IMO, particularly if he goes with a 4-2-3-1 and we build up from the back. 

In a 4 2 3 1 you need  midfielders that can pass a ball to cut through a defence.

The only player on the list that has those attributes atm is Florin.

Bacchus and Griffiths should not be starting together based on their performances last season.

However Joyce was useless so who knows if they have it in them or not.

That is why I am finding it difficult to assess any of the player's competencies while playing under Joyce's oppressive rule.

1 hour ago, IssySG said:

Wouldn't account for Genreau being apart of our team in the 19/20 season. He said on an interview with the Daily Football show that he has every intention of staying in Europe. So he may have come back to work out another loan or maybe selling him for a fee, but I highly doubt he'll be playing in City Blue next season. 

IMO it's "wait and see" - as with a lot of other things - Manager, another Assistant Coach, a GK Coach, Schenkeveld, Good, Brattan... Genreau...you perhaps could add in there Bouzanis and Birighitti.

As far as Genreau is concerned, he's contracted to us; I can't see any value in us loaning him out again unless it enhances our prospects of getting a fee for him, or him returning to play for us a better player; - and as for us selling him before next season - well, he needs to find a club prepared to sign him first.

More generally, IMO if we want to make the A-League a better league, one thing we need to do is to get fair dinkum about contracts. At the moment players feel that they can walk the moment they want to, and that doesn't help the clubs make plans at all.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Bob Latchford said:

No. He was well known for the backpasses, hence WSW fans didn’t mind seeing him go for the same reason. Joyce just loved it and played him for that.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

In a 4 2 3 1 you need  midfielders that can pass a ball to cut through a defence.

The only player on the list that has those attributes atm is Florin.

Bacchus and Griffiths should not be starting together based on their performances last season.

However Joyce was useless so who knows if they have it in them or not.

That is why I am finding it difficult to assess any of the player's competencies while playing under Joyce's oppressive rule.

Florin lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IMO Florin takes over Dario's spot from last season as the bench player that can slot into either wing or CAM slot if we get an injury/as a 70ish minute sub. And tbh i think he's a good option for that role.

At this stage its Brillante and Griffiths for the two dm spots, with Metcalfe and Genreau in reserve. Wouldnt surprise me if we were having a crack at Jesse Curran either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

IMO Florin takes over Dario's spot from last season as the bench player that can slot into either wing or CAM slot if we get an injury/as a 70ish minute sub. And tbh i think he's a good option for that role.

At this stage its Brillante and Griffiths for the two dm spots, with Metcalfe and Genreau in reserve. Wouldnt surprise me if we were having a crack at Jesse Curran either.

Windbichler has played DM hasn't he? We could have Delbo and Good as CBs, Brillante and Windbichler as DMs. Mombaerts is almost spoiled for riches.

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Windbichler has played DM hasn't he? We could have Delbo and Good as CBs, Brillante and Windbichler as DMs. Mombaerts is almost spoiled for riches.

IMO Windbichler is 100% going to be a CB. Good will be third monkey.