Melbourne Football

NPL 2 East Round 17, Melbourne City vs Langwarrin

moops

What get's me is Sydney fc play in their npl 1, whilst we are closing on relegation from nplv2

We have to be doing much better, they are comparable leagues, maybe Sydney NPL is better.

Edited by moops

I like the goods of Graham,  Lucente (spelling) and Paos (spelling) and the gk looks ok at the half

City 1-0 Langers

Najjar with the goal, but other than that he has looked a bit average to me.

Edited by moops

Metcalf subbed on, you can tell he is a class above everyone, lovely player.

Najjarine subbed on, looking average, as he did in his earlier foray into the first team. He needs to turn it on as he did in the latter season, atm he doesn't look special.

Finished 1-1

Edited by moops

12 hours ago, moops said:

What get's me is Sydney fc play in their npl 1, whilst we are closing on relegation from nplv2

We have to be doing much better, they are comparable leagues, maybe Sydney NPL is better.

It's a bit tricky to compare because while the NPL 1 teams of both leagues are comparable due to the way that they redistrict NSW NPL 2 means that it's a much lower quality division than Victorias. Victory would probably be in a similar position (they're 3rd bottom in the West), but they get to play the two worst sides in NPL VIC a few more times than we do.

The real drain (and I'm not actually sure if we can get relegated?), would be to our under 20's side which has only lost the title once since it's inception, we really can't afford that team to drop out of the NPL structure. 

Edited by Tommykins

38 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

It's a bit tricky to compare because while the NPL 1 teams of both leagues are comparable due to the way that they redistrict NSW NPL 2 means that it's a much lower quality division than Victorias. Victory would probably be in a similar position (they're 3rd bottom in the West), but they get to play the two worst sides in NPL VIC a few more times than we do.

The real drain (and I'm not actually sure if we can get relegated?), would be to our under 20's side which has only lost the title once since it's inception, we really can't afford that team to drop out of the NPL structure. 

@Tommykins I agree - I'm not sure that we can be relegated. And isn't there a major shake-up of the Victorian NPL coming in 2020? I read somewhere that we're going to be fielding teams in all the age groups down to at least U-14s. All very confusing!

Yes we can get relegated and there is a real concern at the club that we will. Teams who finish from position 7 through 10 in both east and west conference will be relegated to a new third division in 2020. So we have a lot to do to get up the ladder. I mentioned a few weeks ago that the loss of the older boys for whatever reason weakens the seniors significantly and results prove it. Then the next level Of players under them get frustrated and leave due to road blocks lack of scholarship offers etc. maybe some of those plaYears  like Portillo and Mawith etc would be in line for scholarships now that city can give out 9 instead of six. 

I watched the online stream and agree with moops that Metcalfe looks the goods. He should play A League this year. Najjar and najjarine do need to make more of an consistent impression at npl2 level for me to believe that there skills are not just flash in the pan. I heard a rumour from my source that mombearts was at the game also, so maybe the boys were a little nervous. 

On 16/06/2019 at 9:10 AM, Tommykins said:

I thought the NSWNPL do better in the finals than Victoria, I don't follow that closely so I could be wrong. In the FFA cup we have had similar results I guess.

On 16/06/2019 at 10:19 AM, citymad said:

Yes we can get relegated and there is a real concern at the club that we will. Teams who finish from position 7 through 10 in both east and west conference will be relegated to a new third division in 2020. So we have a lot to do to get up the ladder. I mentioned a few weeks ago that the loss of the older boys for whatever reason weakens the seniors significantly and results prove it. Then the next level Of players under them get frustrated and leave due to road blocks lack of scholarship offers etc. maybe some of those plaYears  like Portillo and Mawith etc would be in line for scholarships now that city can give out 9 instead of six. 

I watched the online stream and agree with moops that Metcalfe looks the goods. He should play A League this year. Najjar and najjarine do need to make more of an consistent impression at npl2 level for me to believe that there skills are not just flash in the pan. I heard a rumour from my source that mombearts was at the game also, so maybe the boys were a little nervous. 

Getting religated would be a disaster, why aren't the older lads playing in the off season at least? Seems a bit strange.

I think the loss of Palatsides is big as well, a real loss.

12 minutes ago, moops said:

Getting religated would be a disaster, why aren't the older lads playing in the off season at least? Seems a bit strange.

I think the loss of Palatsides is big as well, a real loss.

The "older lads" are on a break until early in July. Which IMO they need, otherwise they would be playing pretty much the whole year round. And they are youngsters playing against men - we must not forget that.

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The "older lads" are on a break until early in July. Which IMO they need, otherwise they would be playing pretty much the whole year round. And they are youngsters playing against men - we must not forget that.

That's the problem. If the seasons were aligned then if would be much more beneficial.

Problem is playing in summer is basically wrong, so what we have now is probably the best of a worst situation. 

Losing Palatsides can't go unnoticed and we probably won't see it's affects for a while.

The problem i see is that we need 9-10, 18-19-20 year olds to be playing in our senior NPL squad with then a mix of 16-17 year olds in order to be competitive. Once these players reach this age and have not been offered a pro youth deal they either leave or are told to leave. The NPL senior youth only get paid $60-$100 per week, this doesnt cover the fuel cost to come to training. If we are looking at keeping these players that can help our NPL squad and have the chance to progress in our HAL squad we need to address this. Or we will see what we are seeing now, poor results, potential future HAL players leaving and future players not even coming at all to City. 3 years ago City's youth academy was the place to be and flying, now it could be the worst. If WU start a youth team we could loose even more players.

• Like 1