Melbourne Football

The Erick Mombaerts thread

jeffplz

• 2 weeks later...

I’m very pleased with this appointment, more than any other appointment we’ve made. 

Mombaerts is a thoughtful student of the game, and has a clear conception of how he wants his team to play football. Attacking, exciting football...hopefully with a solid defensive foundation that can bring us success. 

Welcome Erick!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Deluka said:

Very good appointment on paper, I like the 3 year deal - shows he's here for the long haul and prepared to help us recreate our brand and build a dynasty (hopefully!). 

I'm a firm believer that after 15 games you should be able to determine whether a coach is suitable or not. That doesn't mean have to necessarily be wins or losses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, silva10 said:

Well let's hope he can help you forget the turgid football you have had to watch in the last 2 years. Also, he is allowed to bring in his own players, rather than rejects from Adelaide!

For that to happen we need Petrillo to be sacked. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Advised he has been learning the city way of playing football. Poor bastard sounds like he's doomed before he starts. 

Actually from what I've read he actually has been formulating the city way of playing. Which means we are even more cooked. 

17 minutes ago, Heartman said:

Actually from what I've read he actually has been formulating the city way of playing. Which means we are even more cooked. 

There is nothing wrong with City way! You just need to right quality players for it and have a balanced squad to match it - we didn't have any of this.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, citypool said:

His KPIs are qualifying for Asia, playing attacking football and quarter finals of ffa cup 

Although I would rather we aim higher (trophies), I guess I can live with that as an absolute minimum for his first season.

21 minutes ago, haz said:

Although I would rather we aim higher (trophies), I guess I can live with that as an absolute minimum for his first season.

First two are fair enough and pretty much the 'pass mark' for every coach of city imo. I dont think anything but a win is a worthwhile goal in respect to the Cup though.

13 hours ago, belaguttman said:

It would have been good if Wazza had bothered to learn about how to implement the city way.

The point is that if you watched his united reserves, then you would have realised how boring and defensive he was. I am totally bewildered why CFG allowed Marwood to appoint the idiot!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, citypool said:

It is on football manager 

I really don't care where it is TBH. KPIs have to be quantified - that is they have to be measurable so that all parties know what they are expected to reach and whether, ultimately, they get there. "Playing attractive football" is not quantifiable, because it is subjective. If it is set as a KPI then whoever set it doesn't understand what KPIs are.

35 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I really don't care where it is TBH. KPIs have to be quantified - that is they have to be measurable so that all parties know what they are expected to reach and whether, ultimately, they get there. "Playing attractive football" is not quantifiable, because it is subjective. If it is set as a KPI then whoever set it doesn't understand what KPIs are.

Let’s quantify it?

Attractive football is winning with 2 goals difference, more than 55% possession and at least 1 bicycle kick goal.

The above target must be met for 15 rounds per season.

5 hours ago, silva10 said:

The point is that if you watched his united reserves, then you would have realised how boring and defensive he was. I am totally bewildered why CFG allowed Marwood to appoint the idiot!

Likewise. Seems to me that Joyce was the complete antithesis of what we would expect a CFG coach to be, and indeed he was the complete antithesis of both JvS (who won us our only silverware to date) and what I anticipate Erick Mombaerts to be.

I'm particularly interested in Mombaerts' statement that he wants to "create an identity for the club," given that the past two seasons under Joyce virtually destroyed any identity that we had.

All our signings so far look very sound ones to me, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what Erick can create for us.

• Like 2