Jump to content
Melbourne Football
jeffplz

Erick Mombaerts Thread

Recommended Posts

jeffplz    1,108

Just getting it warm before we take it out the oven

Edited by malloy
Update thread title
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KSK_47    5,772
11 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Definitely a better resume than the last gaffer.

You mean "got sacked from Wigan" didn't impress you? Tough crowd!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pm37    9

One thing I liked was this quote in the article. Hopefully it rings true

“It is also very important to me that fans can feel proud of how we play, and that they will enjoy the whole experience watching the game.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harrison    549

I’m very pleased with this appointment, more than any other appointment we’ve made. 

Mombaerts is a thoughtful student of the game, and has a clear conception of how he wants his team to play football. Attacking, exciting football...hopefully with a solid defensive foundation that can bring us success. 

Welcome Erick!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HeartFc    3,006

When I see the letters AE side by side in someones name I feel uncomfortable about them.

Sack him.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jw1739    9,561

This thread is all the evidence I need to say how much damage was done to our club by last season.

If I didn't believe in free speech I'd delete it.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Deluka    339

Very good appointment on paper, I like the 3 year deal - shows he's here for the long haul and prepared to help us recreate our brand and build a dynasty (hopefully!). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Heartman    13
37 minutes ago, Deluka said:

Very good appointment on paper, I like the 3 year deal - shows he's here for the long haul and prepared to help us recreate our brand and build a dynasty (hopefully!). 

I'm a firm believer that after 15 games you should be able to determine whether a coach is suitable or not. That doesn't mean have to necessarily be wins or losses. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
silva10    870

Well let's hope he can help you forget the turgid football you have had to watch in the last 2 years. Also, he is allowed to bring in his own players, rather than rejects from Adelaide!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr MO    543
6 hours ago, silva10 said:

Well let's hope he can help you forget the turgid football you have had to watch in the last 2 years. Also, he is allowed to bring in his own players, rather than rejects from Adelaide!

 

For that to happen we need Petrillo to be sacked. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr MO    543

Honestly Petrillo has to go regardless, he has been part of the failed technical team setup over the last years - how can he escape the axe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
n i k o    6,143

Advised he has been learning the city way of playing football. Poor bastard sounds like he's doomed before he starts. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Heartman    13
28 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Advised he has been learning the city way of playing football. Poor bastard sounds like he's doomed before he starts. 

Actually from what I've read he actually has been formulating the city way of playing. Which means we are even more cooked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr MO    543
17 minutes ago, Heartman said:

Actually from what I've read he actually has been formulating the city way of playing. Which means we are even more cooked. 

There is nothing wrong with City way! You just need to right quality players for it and have a balanced squad to match it - we didn't have any of this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
haz    4,129
10 minutes ago, citypool said:

His KPIs are qualifying for Asia, playing attacking football and quarter finals of ffa cup 

Although I would rather we aim higher (trophies), I guess I can live with that as an absolute minimum for his first season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fensaddler    1,169
8 minutes ago, haz said:

Although I would rather we aim higher (trophies), I guess I can live with that as an absolute minimum for his first season.

I'd settle for some hope and some entertainment. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bt50    4,731
21 minutes ago, haz said:

Although I would rather we aim higher (trophies), I guess I can live with that as an absolute minimum for his first season.

First two are fair enough and pretty much the 'pass mark' for every coach of city imo. I dont think anything but a win is a worthwhile goal in respect to the Cup though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jw1739    9,561
39 minutes ago, citypool said:

His KPIs are qualifying for Asia, playing attacking football and quarter finals of ffa cup 

You just made those up. The second one isn't a KPI at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
playmaker    1,429

Let's just hope we don't see any of that slow build up, possession bull crap;

AND

all the players get managed well with the visa and marquees on the pitch in their correct positions.

If not, I am done.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
belaguttman    4,430
7 hours ago, Heartman said:

Actually from what I've read he actually has been formulating the city way of playing. Which means we are even more cooked. 

It would have been good if Wazza had bothered to learn about how to implement the city way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
silva10    870
13 hours ago, belaguttman said:

It would have been good if Wazza had bothered to learn about how to implement the city way.

The point is that if you watched his united reserves, then you would have realised how boring and defensive he was. I am totally bewildered why CFG allowed Marwood to appoint the idiot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jw1739    9,561
9 hours ago, citypool said:

It is on football manager 

I really don't care where it is TBH. KPIs have to be quantified - that is they have to be measurable so that all parties know what they are expected to reach and whether, ultimately, they get there. "Playing attractive football" is not quantifiable, because it is subjective. If it is set as a KPI then whoever set it doesn't understand what KPIs are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr MO    543
35 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I really don't care where it is TBH. KPIs have to be quantified - that is they have to be measurable so that all parties know what they are expected to reach and whether, ultimately, they get there. "Playing attractive football" is not quantifiable, because it is subjective. If it is set as a KPI then whoever set it doesn't understand what KPIs are.

Let’s quantify it?

Attractive football is winning with 2 goals difference, more than 55% possession and at least 1 bicycle kick goal.

The above target must be met for 15 rounds per season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jw1739    9,561
5 hours ago, silva10 said:

The point is that if you watched his united reserves, then you would have realised how boring and defensive he was. I am totally bewildered why CFG allowed Marwood to appoint the idiot!

Likewise. Seems to me that Joyce was the complete antithesis of what we would expect a CFG coach to be, and indeed he was the complete antithesis of both JvS (who won us our only silverware to date) and what I anticipate Erick Mombaerts to be.

I'm particularly interested in Mombaerts' statement that he wants to "create an identity for the club," given that the past two seasons under Joyce virtually destroyed any identity that we had.

All our signings so far look very sound ones to me, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what Erick can create for us.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×