Melbourne Football
Sign in to follow this  
Dylan

National Second Div Chat

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Couldnt find a second div thread, so if there is and this is a duplicate, remove please.

If it gets off the ground, even if its only semi pro initially, its going to be transformative. 

I'll be the first to play Jonah on this one. If you can't run your flagship store in the High Street, what makes you think you can run a branch store in the boondocks?

• Like 2

On 04/06/2019 at 7:35 AM, jw1739 said:

I'll be the first to play Jonah on this one. If you can't run your flagship store in the High Street, what makes you think you can run a branch store in the boondocks?

I’m all for a 2nd division, but right now keeping the first division alive needs to be the priority. 

3 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I’m all for a 2nd division, but right now keeping the first division alive needs to be the priority. 

Well that can only happen if the clubs get permission off the state feds

I love heading to FFA Cup games and NPL games, expect it to be the same type of vibe.
For Melbourne I would assume, South, Bergers and Knights would all be a given to be in a second division.

It should also allow us to expand the FFA cup as well. Bring in both Div 1 and 2 at a national RO 64 stage.

I also like the idea floated by the North Queensland Fury owner a few years back.
Create a second division with only promotion. Run until we have 16 teams in the aleague then have promotion relegation. 

11 hours ago, steven_92 said:

I also like the idea floated by the North Queensland Fury owner a few years back.
Create a second division with only promotion. Run until we have 16 teams in the aleague then have promotion relegation. 

Only with promotion has set criteria for teams, like the Japanese leagues.

6 hours ago, haz said:

Only with promotion has set criteria for teams, like the Japanese leagues.

Also applies in England in leagues such as the National Leagues - it was applied in the season just finished in the National League South where one club was prevented from participating in the play-offs for promotion to the National League on the basis of inadequate seating at its ground.

I don't know about elsewhere.

As I understand it, FFA sets quite strict guidelines on grounds for the A-League, not just in terms of facilities for players and spectators, but also media, security etc.  

But my main point remains. If you can't fucking well get your overall management of the game on a decent footing and manage your Premier League satisfactorily, what on earth makes you think you can manage a Second Division and promotion/relegation? IMO the downside risk far outweighs the upside benefits - whatever the latter might be (which I have yet to understand).

• Like 2

So far this pre-season I've re-acquainted myself with the facilities - or lack of them - at both Oakleigh and Bentleigh Greens.  If these grounds and their facilities are typical of the grounds of NPL clubs that aspire to a Second Division and ultimate promotion to the A-League, then all I can say is that they have very little chance of attracting broad community support. They'll keep their "ethnic" support, yes, but they won't attract anyone else. The facilities are primitive to say the least. 

• Like 1