Melbourne Football

Western Sydney

LR9

9 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Signed Oriel Riera as Marquee.31 year old striker from La liga. Biggest achilles for the Wanderers has been a regular scoring #9. 

Not convinced he will solve their problems either, but time will tell. As people have said, Bruno and Berisha didnt have particularly great records before coming here either...

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Not convinced he will solve their problems either, but time will tell. As people have said, Bruno and Berisha didnt have particularly great records before coming here either...

Same. I wasn't that impressed by Bobo either but ultimately he did well enough. If he (Riera ) can get 15 plus goals then he is worth a Marquee role if not then he probably wont see a second year.

10 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Same. I wasn't that impressed by Bobo either but ultimately he did well enough. If he (Riera ) can get 15 plus goals then he is worth a Marquee role if not then he probably wont see a second year.

They recruited him on a two year deal strangely enough. I'd be curious to see what they are forking out for him...

Agree with that, although 10+ is prob enough if he is providing enough in link up play and/or not taking pens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Look I think predicting goal tallies is a lottery. 

There are players who couldn't score much in other leagues but scored plenty here (e.g. Berisha, Fornaroli, Keogh), then you have players that scored a lot in other leagues but struggled here (e.g. Mifsud and Noordstrand) and finally there are players who have good strike rates here and abroad (e.g. Bobo, Janko). I suppose there is another category of those who struggled abroad in respectable leagues and struggled here too (e.g. Sergi Guardiola). 

Supporters will always query new signings but it is so hard to predict.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

One week out and the senior couch walks. Wowzers!!!!

I'm assuming that Popavic leaving is more about him getting the right / a great offer overseas than things being fucked at WSW. 

Still, he's been such a part of the club (and this preseason alone!!!) that to leave this is trippy so go figure 

Can see Milicic taking over after the Syria games with the agreement to still be involved with the Socceroos until the World Cup.

Pretty sure Gombau is contracted until the next Olympics which would be a pretty big compensation payment to the FFA, which I can't see Wanderers paying

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Found out last week Gombau has been recently watching wanderers games with some of the players  and now there's seem to be whispers he is the new wanderers boss

Good for us imo, his defensive aspects arent overly impressive. 

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

Good for us imo, his defensive aspects arent overly impressive. 

I think the biggest advantage for opposition sides is that the squad was recruited by a counterattacking coach and now they have a possession orientated coach.

Time will tell how adaptable the players are.

• 1 month later...

Popovic sacked by Turkish club Karabukspor

•  

tony_popovic_5.jpg?itok=UW79C0F0&mtime=1513289870

The former Western Sydney Wanderers mentor guided his side to a 1-0 Turkish Cup loss on Friday morning (AEDT), his eighth defeat in all competitions since joining the club in October, with Karabukspor languishing at the bottom of the Super Lig ladder.

Popovic had been planning to bolster his struggling squad in the January transfer window, but having only posted three wins since taking the reigns, the club has run out of patience.

Turkish media reports Popovic will get a 900,000 euros (A$1.4 million) payout as compensation.

Popovic's first foray as a head coach in Europe had been far from ideal, with the Super Lig club recently thrown into chaos with the entire board of directors walking out en masse last month amid a financial crisis.

Karabukspor have a history of ruthlessness when it comes to coaches, churning through eight mentors in 31 months before appointing Popovic.

guishing at the bottom of the Super Lig ladder.

Popovic had been planning to bolster his struggling squad in the January transfer window, but having only posted three wins since taking the reigns, the club has run out of patience.

Turkish media reports Popovic will get a 900,000 euros (A$1.4 million) payout as compensation.

Popovic's first foray as a head coach in Europe had been far from ideal, with the Super Lig club recently thrown into chaos with the entire board of directors walking out en masse last month amid a financial crisis.

Karabukspor have a history of ruthlessness when it comes to coaches, churning through eight mentors in 31 months before appointing Popovic.

didn't last long 
Looks Like Timmy won't be going to Karabukspor

Edited by japiedog

15 minutes ago, Blackout said:

It was always an unusual decision in my opinion. I opened this thread wondering whether the newest post would be something to this effect.

I wonder what the implication will be with the vacant national team job.

Apparently Popovic has indicated he'd like to be the new coach.

I posted a link in the FFA Management thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers today officially announced that Josep Gombau will leave the club, effective immediately.

Following a review of the season the decision has been made to appoint a new head coach for the 2018/19 season and beyond.

The Wanderers would like to thank Josep for his time with the club.

Wow!
Looked like he was really setting up for next season (Adelaide Mk II) with a number of recruits now he is gone!

1 minute ago, rayv36 said:

Wonder how Brucey feels now that he wont be linking up with Gombey

IIRC those deals were never truly confirmed, more rumoured.

So if that's the case I wonder where that puts the deals / the players, particularly if WSW don't go through with the deals... 

30 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Wonder how Brucey feels now that he wont be linking up with Gombey

27 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

So if that's the case I wonder where that puts the deals / the players, particularly if WSW don't go through with the deals... 

Well Carussca completed a move. How long was his contract?

2 hours ago, haz said:

Only until the end of this season.

I was astounded to read that Gombau is on his way. He doesn't seem to last very long, wherever he is. Done after 6 months of a three-year contract.

6 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

5 hours ago, haz said:

What I was getting at was more to do with if the two are definitely going, and if WSW can pull out should they appoint another coach

19 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

What I was getting at was more to do with if the two are definitely going, and if WSW can pull out should they appoint another coach

Contracts can be cancelled by mutual consent of course, but contracts are with a club not with the coach. If Kamau and Fitzgerald have signed contracts for next season and want to continue with them then they have every right to do so. I don't think either of them are going to go any further with City.

Doesn't help when a fucktard like Brendan Santalab is coming out saying they had a brilliant squad and should've finished much higher and the coach needs to go.........Their 4 central midfield choices were Roly Bonevacia, Keanu Baccus, his brother and Steve Lustica, hardly gonna dominate games with that

Thier marquee winger was a flop, Risdon had his worst season in years, their spanish left back couldn't defend and their defence in general is bang average. The fact they were still in the hunt for finals in the last round was a pretty big achievement because that was one dogshit average list he was working with.

In vaguely WSW related news was having a chat to a mate about the Turkish team that Popovic was managing at the start of the season. He was sacked with a 3 wins and 6 loses record after 9 games or so - as he tells it they've picked up 3 draws in the rest of the season and will be relegated in last place, looks about right based on what I can glean from wikipedia but maybe someone more familiar with the Turkish League can set me straight.