Melbourne Football

Western Sydney

LR9

I am allowed to have a narrow minded and selfish mindset to following football.

If I am going to give the passion to the game that I do then I don’t see why I can’t be selfish when doing so.

My priorities are basic as they are what I really care about: My Club and My Experience when at the game.

I don’t see a reason to force myself to care about things that I don’t fucken care about.

You obviously clearly care about these other things as many do on here, such as your National Team, other clubs, the leagues heath... whatever that is also your choice but these not really effect MH winning games or me have a fun time in RK/ On a Away Trip so they are not my priorities.

The fact is that supporter culture is this League is only really passable in the two traditional hubs of the game in Melbourne and Sydney.

Therefore my experience at a game elsewhere as far as when my club's support is not concerned is usually quite poor.

This was obviously always bound to happen due to the preset plastic nature of the league from day dot.

However letting a team like Canberra in over the football hub of Western Sydney would just continue the hurt in supporter culture in this league which myself like many here is attempting to create.

If the game day experience offered in the stands is similar Supporters Culture to most of those outside of Melbourne and Sydney I will lose interest in this league anyway so if I want be coming anyway how will the league’s quality be a concern of mine?.

Edited by cadete

I am allowed to have a narrow minded and selfish mindset to following football.

If I am going to give the passion to the game that I do then I don’t see why I can’t be selfish when doing so.

My priorities are basic as they are what I really care about: My Club and My Experience when at the game.

I don’t see a reason to force myself to care about things that I don’t fucken care about.

You obviously clearly care about these other things as many do on here, such as your National Team, other clubs, the leagues heath... whatever that is also your choice but these not really effect MH winning games or me have a fun time in RK/ On a Away Trip so they are not my priorities.

The fact is that supporter culture is this League is only really passable in the two traditional hubs of the game in Melbourne and Sydney.

Therefore my experience at a game elsewhere as far as when my club's support is not concerned is usually quite poor.

This was obviously always bound to happen due to the preset plastic nature of the league from day dot.

However letting a team like Canberra in over the football hub of Western Sydney would just continue the hurt in supporter culture in this league which myself like many here is attempting to create.

If the game day experience offered in the stands is similar Supporters Culture to most of those outside of Melbourne and Sydney I will lose interest in this league anyway so if I want be coming anyway how will the league’s quality be a concern of mine?.

What to you is passable supporters culture?

What are you comparing it too?

Personally, being involved in this league since it's inception, 7 seasons or so and a little bit of NSL when I was a kid, I highly disagree that Melbourne and Sydney are the only real traditional football hubs in Australia, ignorance of the highest order.

Edited by Hendo

I have a simple definition for passable: Up to standard with Yarraside: In terms of Chant Quality, Visual Support, and most all a supporter group that is Clearly Independent from Club and not affraid of Self Expression.

Of course the game has been played all around the country at different places for long periods of time but the fact is the largest centres of supporter activity for the game have always been in Melb and Syd.

This was present in the State Leagues prior to the NSL, In the early NSL, More modern NSL and today in the A League this is undeniable fact.

In fact the only slight exception to this rule was in the Modern NSL where for a brief 5 year period the Australian Football Community looked towards Perth Oval as well as Syd and Melb - Which was were I was attending far more NSL games than I am sure you ever atttended (So I am not ignorant).

Edited by cadete

By the way this all my opinion.

Because you asked for greater qualification, as I was talking about what Supporter Cultures I enjoy encountering at games in the league which therefore leave me wanting to come back each week.

Before you launch into a reply about the history of Newy Supporter Culture: Which I will happily read I am going to have to inform you that when saw at first hand it did really interest or excite me and my opinion is probably going to stay this way, just like the others who did that trip who formed similar opinions.

Its same as what you and everyone else here would think about a Port Melbourne Borough game – I completly disagree but It does not make you ignorant.

I have a simple definition for passable: Up to standard with Yarraside: In terms of Chant Quality, Visual Support, and most all a supporter group that is Clearly Independent from Club and not affraid of Self Expression.

Of course the game has been played all around the country at different places for long periods of time but the fact is the largest centres of supporter activity for the game have always been in Melb and Syd.

This was present in the State Leagues prior to the NSL, In the early NSL, More modern NSL and today in the A League this is undeniable fact.

In fact the only slight exception to this rule was in the Modern NSL where for a brief 5 year period the Australian Football Community looked towards Perth Oval as well as Syd and Melb - Which was were I was attending far more NSL games than I am sure you ever atttended (So I am not ignorant).

Australia's two biggest cities obviously house the largest centres of supporter activity, considering a vast majority of ex-NSL clubs were from these centres. However, the biggest visual display to date has come from outisde these two major centres.

I'd review your list.

Sydney

Melbourne

Newcastle

The rest, yes are rubbish in regards to your aforementioned criteria.

I wouldn't be so sure of that, I was actually a supporter of the old NU and even the Breakers beforehand when I was a kid, went to most games for about 5-6 seasons. The big question remains, surely you weren't a glory fan.

Before you launch into a reply about the history of Newy Supporter Culture: Which I will happily read I am going to have to inform you that when saw at first hand it did really interest or excite me and my opinion is probably going to stay this way, just like the others who did that trip who formed similar opinions.

First home game of the season isn't probably the best time of year to go up there, it's just the way Newcastle is. Anyway, that's a story for another time and place. Red Section, Rowdies etc...

Edited by Hendo

I thought you knew I was a reluctant Glory fan, I have spoken a fair bit about those days – I even saw Lubo when he was the Shed’s hero :)

I supported them like I have supported Australia in Cricket over the years.

So when players I really liked were playing like Boutsi and Mori then I was more Pro-Glory, but the team used to annoy me sometimes in to liking the Ethnic Visitors at times as they reminded me of Melbourne and were exotic when compared to a ground coated in Chicken Treat.

At different stages I also like MC (Because their Celtic Away Kit), and Adelaide City and Marconi: But I always hated South Melbourne.

I would attend probably every second home game at my height of attendance at Glory games between when I moved over there in 1996-7 to when Alcohol/Girls completely consumed my Summers in 2000-1 so probably fewer games than you but you must of been pretty young back then.

Edited by cadete

Although this thread has gone way off topic i am finding it extremely interesting reading. I am always interested to find out peoples football backgrounds and how they came to support mhfc. A football biography could make for a really good thread.

Anyway back on topic though West Sydney. It is happening. Would be interested to hear things from the Sydney fc supporters perspective. Sorry i have forgotten his name.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

I cannot see that great a Active Supporter culture coming out of Canberra as one that could come out of West Sydney so I much prefer WS to come into the League.

Having now lived in Canberra for 7 weeks, i am confident that there would be a strongly vocal/passionate active support base. I don't understand at all how you've come to the conclusion that there wouldn't be that sort of culture.

No doubt in my biased mind, Canberra is a million times better pick than another Sydney team.

I think most people are coming to this conclusion because of the Cosmos, however you are probably right that it is unfair to compare the Canberra of then to the Canberra of now. I attended a Cosmos game in 1998 and much like the city itself, I found it to be a bland, sterile snore fest void of anything remotely close to culture. However, that was then. Things may very well have changed.

It sounds as though, yes, Canberra would be able to pull something close to a reasonable following which I am sure would be passionate, vocal and loyal. However, at this point in time I think West Sydney is the better option for the FFA, if for no other reason than the size of its target audience (roughly 3 times that of Canberra) which means more money. As has been mentioned previously if the FFA can do this properly then it could well be a massive shot in the arm to the A-League. Obviously if things go pear shaped things may get a bit hairy, but lets hope they have learned from previous errors.

Edited by KSK_47

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/236489,west-sydney-call-for-fans.aspx

THE fan engagement for the new Sydney A-League club representing Western Sydney will kick off this Thursday 12 April 2012 at the Mounties club in Mt Pritchard. Around 300 fans, football administrators and former Socceroos from western Sydney will gather to start the process towards selecting a name, colours, logo and culture for the new club. The Mounties group includes the NSW Super League club Mounties Wanderers FC with almost 1,000 players in outdoor football and Futsal "Community engagement will be at the core of this club's foundation and Mounties is a great place to start our listening tour across western Sydney," said the Head of Hyundai A-League Lyall Gorman."We're really excited by the idea of harnessing the passion of football people across western Sydney to bring this club to life."

First Fan meeting tonight between FFA & West Syd supporters, and some interesting developments;

-Red/Back overwhelming favourite for colours. As was Wanderers for name and Parramatta for Stadium.

-Already fractures in the supporter base, with 'Western Front' & the guys from 'West Syd Football.com' arguing with each other over who is the true voice of the fans (reminiscent of the early battles between Active Supporters & the Melbourne Heart Supporter Association - when our club was starting up).

-Meeting was apparently gate crashed by Sydney FC supporters, which caused an out break of pro-West Sydney chants.

-Biggest scene was caused by seven Sydney United Supporters who dominated the meeting about what compenstaion fees would be should Sydney United be pillaged of players by West Sydney FC, and then got verbal with Buckley & Bozza before storming out.

Biggest fuck up for me is the colours. Another club in Red in this League after us & Adelaide is a fucking disaster. These guys are screaming out that they want to have a traditional styled club to support, with a traditional name & strong fan involvement, yet they are overlooking the traditional colours of the Western Suburbs in Black & White, to go with something that isn't even related to their area in Red...? Total fuck up.

Black & White is not used by any other major Sydney sporting team atm, and why you wouldn't want to colour yourselves with some of most fanatically supported clubs in this world (Besikitas, Corinthians, PAOK, Partizan etc.) is beyond me.

RE: Western Front, they seem a bit of a shermozzle. Would be surprised if any of the people involved in it are aged over 15. They were the ones going around to other A-League Clubs Active Support Facebook pages asking to make an "alliance" and forming a "brotherhood". Was a good laugh though. And they are quite skillful with MS Paint

294358_131420766957882_119557101477582_120616_1895655847_n.jpg

300480_131365376963421_119557101477582_120503_478223469_n.jpg

:D

Knew the colours would be suggested the same or close to the colours of West Sydney Rovers proposal, such a disappointment, need a new look in the League, like a black.

Paramatta Stadium is definitely a good choice at this stage as it's the central point, also with the opinion of proposal of a stadium built in Western Sydney Regional Park later on.

they should have a different color.

yellow with a black collar would look good IMO but the black & white is good too.

i do like the wanderers for a name, and the fact they'll most likely play at Parramatta.

first signing will be Halloran anyone?

Saw a video of WF guys at the Sydney FC game in Parramatta a while ago. OK mentality as they chanted for most of the game, but also a little gay as they all ripped pyro at a venue that had nothing to do with the game.

I can see the WS home end challenging YS for the A-League group that got their shit together the quickest. WF are a bit of a joke though, as are T-Way Service Crew.

Saw a video of WF guys at the Sydney FC game in Parramatta a while ago. OK mentality as they chanted for most of the game, but also a little gay as they all ripped pyro at a venue that had nothing to do with the game.

I can see the WS home end challenging YS for the A-League group that got their shit together the quickest. WF are a bit of a joke though, as are T-Way Service Crew.

1. The guys you saw chanting in that video from Paramatta were not WF they are WS Skins (ex SCC)

2. The pyro you are talking about, if it is the same one as i am thinking was a tribute to their dead friend.

3. The real Western Front are an absolute joke most WS supporters seem to agree (going by the comments on their forum)

4. Have you even seen anything or heard anything the T-Way service crew have done at all to be commenting that they are a bit of a joke?

Lawrie McKinna set to be named head coach, with Mark Jones his assistant.

Lyall Gorman rumoured to be demoted from his role at FFA, and may become CEO.

Blacktown City's Ken Schembri has been named Football Operations manager.

And Buddy Farah has been linked to play some role with the club...

The fact that they are a bunch of bogan flogs who get bashed in their own home end? Luls. I've heard of individual supporters switching sides, but never whole groups of organised and active supporters. Will leave it at that.

Luls???

Well that clearly never happened either:

At least half of SCC stayed on as supporters of Sydney FC.

And your description of SCC is way way of the mark as well.

Seriously just stop posting shit that u know nothing about and making us all look like fools.

Edited by cadete

Lawrie McKinna set to be named head coach

"As regards to the rumour about Lawrie Mckinna for West Sydney... although Lawrie is a good man, after listening to the fans on Thursday night this will be a big mistake... one of the things that came out of Thursdays meeting was that the people are insisting on a WS local to coach. The FFA must fulfill their promise to listen to the fans."

Mark Bozza's twitter account

Edited by KSK_47

FFA has emailed 40,000 people to find their thoughts on the new Sydney club. Here's the link I got via email;

http://www.surveygiz...New-Sydney-Club

Suggest we all hit it up the survey and vote for Black and White as the colours so these cunts don't start using Red like us - like the majoirty of them want.

2150 is the postcode for Parramatta if you want to make the survey look more legit. Where it asks for a reason on the colours, just write that "Black & White are the traditional colours of West Sydney and there's already 3 clubs using Red in the A-League. 4 would be too many".

Gotta say the list of potential club names looks pretty shocking aswell;

-Inter Western Sydney

-Western Sydney Athletic

-Western Sydney Heartland

-Western Sydney Wanderers

-Western Sydney Stars

-Real Western Sydney

-Western Sydney Lions

-Western Sydney Power

-Western Sydney Wildcats

-Western Sydney Cosmos

-Western Sydney Union

-Western SydneyWolves

-Western Sydney All Stars

-Western Sydney Pulse

-Sporting Western Sydney

-Western Sydney International

-Western Sydney Beats

-Western Sydney PFC (People's Football Club)

-Western Sydney Rangers

-Western Sydney Juniors

-Western Sydney Warriors

-Western Sydney Strikers

Ended up voting for West Sydney PFC because I think it's got a nice ring to it. Best of a bad bunch.

Edited by FB.