Melbourne Football

19/20 Puma Kits

Dylan

1 hour ago, coys said:

I think it’s also interesting to note on what social media platforms people are voting on because on Instagram the red and white kits seem to have won the majority of votes in fact I think it’s only been one round a red and white kit hasn’t won. Also interesting to note every round the red and white stripes has been involved in has got the most votes

It’s indeed interesting the quarter and semi finals are dominated by heart and red/white jerseys. The only Non red City top who made it through is the 15/16 City inaugural one. Seems that us rusted supporters aren’t alone. Search #CityJerseyCup on Twitter and you can see all the battles.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hanz said:

Do you think red and white winning have any impact at head office?

No. Honestly I don’t believe it should. Realise this is probably not a popular opinion here but for mine, we have now spent longer in existence being named “Melbourne City FC” than “Melbourne Heart FC”. We are one of few clubs to have multiple identifiable colours (sky blue and white on one hand and red and white on the other) and should embrace that. The club’s current approach of occasionally wearing red and white as a nod to our foundation (though it would be nice if we wore it for 1 or 2 home games a season) seems appropriate to me. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Dezy94 said:

No. Honestly I don’t believe it should. Realise this is probably not a popular opinion here but for mine, we have now spent longer in existence being named “Melbourne City FC” than “Melbourne Heart FC”. We are one of few clubs to have multiple identifiable colours (sky blue and white on one hand and red and white on the other) and should embrace that. The club’s current approach of occasionally wearing red and white as a nod to our foundation (though it would be nice if we wore it for 1 or 2 home games a season) seems appropriate to me. 

IMO we should wear the R&W for home derbies against Melbourne Victory., especially the Christmas Derby. Several years ago I put that to the club and it was received with much enthusiasm at the time. But times change. However, IMO it would be a great gesture to our foundation as Heart, and  the very first A-League Derby as well as the first Melbourne Derby. That's how tradition, loyalty and the glamour of our great game is built - by doing something special.

Hope the sash wins and they make it our home kit. Even a sky blue sash and the rest white.

Although it had navy and was a hand me down the home 2014-15 kit has really grown on me and I think thats because most of it is white.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Hope the sash wins and they make it our home kit. Even a sky blue sash and the rest white.

Although it had navy and was a hand me down the home 2014-15 kit has really grown on me and I think thats because most of it is white.

I really do hope the club does something with winning kit......

On 09/04/2020 at 12:31 PM, Mr MO said:

I really do hope the club does something with winning kit......

maybe they finally will!

Seeing the red and white gets me excited. Would love to have our own colours. Will just feel like the fans have some say in this club!

19 minutes ago, n i k o said:

We do. City blue. 

Of course sir, how could we forget. Our apologies to Sheikh Mansour. Fan base votings do not reflect what we stand for sir.

Jokes aside, the least they can do is make red/white our standard away kit.

Edited by Mr MO

3 hours ago, Hanz said:

I know I’m beating a dead horse but at least with the red and white there was some sort of tie back to Melbourne eg colours on the coat of arms.

Victory got the states colours. Sky blue will always be NSW.

As the league expands and grows there will be many more teams (in addition to the ones that already exist) who play in colours that aren't directly tied to a state or town/city flag. Are WSW any less NSW because they play in Black and Red? Brisbane play in the maroon of QLD as much as we play in the Red and White of Melbourne.

We've played in Blue/White for more than half of our existence now, I totally get the attachment to red and white but we're not going to change and people might as well get used to it.

The only impact (if any) that the voting could potentially have at head office is reminding them that the fans are quite fond of the red and white kit making an appearance every year as either a 2nd or 3rd option. To be totally honest, I think this season should be the template moving forward; have the red and white as a 3rd strip and dedicate one game a season as a heritage or 'heart' round.

• Like 2

I think it’s okay for people to discuss it and it is perfectly believable that people still chose to, if anything it shows in my eyes that some supporters and looking at the voting of the kits a considerable amount think it’s worth a discussion. Others may decide that city blue is the colour which they resonate with most to the team but others may choose red and white. I think that the fact that a sizeable portion still have some form of attachment to the red and white should be something that at the very least is acknowledged. The one thing this club to me has seemed to fail to capitalise on is a link between both the new and old, the constant attempts to push the red and white away example selling and labeling a red and white kit as the away kit on the website but not including it on fifa and also using the official third kit being the black one on most away games and also the designated fifa away kit. It’s in my experience a fundamental reason why the group of 6 friends that used to go to games religiously no longer turn up.

my question is instead of pushing away the past why not embrace it fully? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Embee said:

As the league expands and grows there will be many more teams (in addition to the ones that already exist) who play in colours that aren't directly tied to a state or town/city flag. Are WSW any less NSW because they play in Black and Red? Brisbane play in the maroon of QLD as much as we play in the Red and White of Melbourne.

We've played in Blue/White for more than half of our existence now, I totally get the attachment to red and white but we're not going to change and people might as well get used to it.

The only impact (if any) that the voting could potentially have at head office is reminding them that the fans are quite fond of the red and white kit making an appearance every year as either a 2nd or 3rd option. To be totally honest, I think this season should be the template moving forward; have the red and white as a 3rd strip and dedicate one game a season as a heritage or 'heart' round.

I'd like the red to have stayed, one because of following the club for so long but also because the colour was good so I wanted it to stay and still would like it. But I would have been ok by now with the colour change if it was almost anything other than sky blue. It's a god awful colour. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I'd like the red to have stayed, one because of following the club for so long but also because the colour was good so I wanted it to stay and still would like it. But I would have been ok by now with the colour change if it was almost anything other than sky blue. It's a god awful colour. 

I personally struggled with the change at first, especially as it was enforced. I was pretty insistent there was as much red present in Melburnians branding as possible (I wasn't the only one tbf), but over time I've come to accept the change and have more or less moved on. Making new and special memories in the City Blue definitely assisted with that.

Game of opinions obviously, but I quite like sky blue as a colour. I was always quite fond of Coventry's kits when I was younger, and then Man City's when they got into the EPL in the early 2000s. Personally, I'd prefer if we had a predominantly white kit with elements of the blue though, whether it be stripes or a sash. 

18 minutes ago, coys said:

I think it’s okay for people to discuss it and it is perfectly believable that people still chose to, if anything it shows in my eyes that some supporters and looking at the voting of the kits a considerable amount think it’s worth a discussion. Others may decide that city blue is the colour which they resonate with most to the team but others may choose red and white. I think that the fact that a sizeable portion still have some form of attachment to the red and white should be something that at the very least is acknowledged. The one thing this club to me has seemed to fail to capitalise on is a link between both the new and old, the constant attempts to push the red and white away example selling and labeling a red and white kit as the away kit on the website but not including it on fifa and also using the official third kit being the black one on most away games and also the designated fifa away kit. It’s in my experience a fundamental reason why the group of 6 friends that used to go to games religiously no longer turn up.

my question is instead of pushing away the past why not embrace it fully? 

I think they're doing a much better job of embracing the past in the last 12 months tbh. A lot of the social media activity on both Twitter and Facebook has featured Heart goals/moments, and they even tried some cute regular posts like Mifsud Mondays or Terra Tuesdays (I think it was Terra). The Heart celebration game this season was a home run too, IMO. I can't speak for the FIFA stuff, I don't play it and I'm not sure who makes those final decisions. But it feels like the people involved locally are doing their best to bridge that gap recently.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

I’ve accepted the colour change, just want to see a red and white away kit every season - I don’t understand why this is so difficult. It embraces our heritage, keeps fans happy and they can identify themselves with old and new. Traditions like that are missing at our club.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I’ve accepted the colour change, just want to see a red and white away kit every season - I don’t understand why this is so difficult. It embraces our heritage, keeps fans happy and they can identify themselves with old and new. Traditions like that are missing at our club.

Completely agree.

5 hours ago, Mr MO said:

And that I think to me is the biggest issue, it’s failure to fully embrace the heritage.

im not asking for red and white to be the home kit as much as I would like it to, but for it to be fully embraced and not pushed away

9 hours ago, Embee said:

I personally struggled with the change at first, especially as it was enforced. I was pretty insistent there was as much red present in Melburnians branding as possible (I wasn't the only one tbf), but over time I've come to accept the change and have more or less moved on. Making new and special memories in the City Blue definitely assisted with that.

Game of opinions obviously, but I quite like sky blue as a colour. I was always quite fond of Coventry's kits when I was younger, and then Man City's when they got into the EPL in the early 2000s. Personally, I'd prefer if we had a predominantly white kit with elements of the blue though, whether it be stripes or a sash. 

I think they're doing a much better job of embracing the past in the last 12 months tbh. A lot of the social media activity on both Twitter and Facebook has featured Heart goals/moments, and they even tried some cute regular posts like Mifsud Mondays or Terra Tuesdays (I think it was Terra). The Heart celebration game this season was a home run too, IMO. I can't speak for the FIFA stuff, I don't play it and I'm not sure who makes those final decisions. But it feels like the people involved locally are doing their best to bridge that gap recently.

i get that the club has done a lot in the last year and more so in the direction of embracing our past but it seems they do so in any way but accepting the red and white, to me this is but a step and I think they’re missing a home run but not going all the way, why stop at one home game acknowledging our home colours which I think is a good show of faith and should be done every year but wear the red and white as the away kit, don’t put it as a third kit

or in prior seasons labelling it as the away kit but  You end up wearing the third kit at every away game with the exception of one game, things like that cause more harm then good

• Like 3

We should play in R&W stripes in the Christmas Derby every season (I know I've said that before). That would help build tradition not only for City, but also for the league as a whole and all football fans here in Melbourne.

It would also show that not only the club, but also CFG and our ultimate owner (Mansour) and FFA care about our fans, and the league, and that there's more to football than just business interests.

• Like 6

On 13/04/2020 at 12:51 PM, Hanz said:

I know I’m beating a dead horse but at least with the red and white there was some sort of tie back to Melbourne eg colours on the coat of arms.

Victory got the states colours. Sky blue will always be NSW.

And Hearts colours were chosen because they were the opposite of Victory lolz

29 minutes ago, Dylan said:

And Hearts colours were chosen because they were the opposite of Victory lolz

And they were the cities colours.... 

hey didn’t say it was deep but opposite to victory and a manufactured heritage story (cost of arms) is good enough for me.

I think our 2014-16 jerseys were the best. The two blue vertical stripes on the white looked clean and crisp. If it was up to me I’d have that as our permanent home strip, red and white for away matches and the Xmas derby. But not that god awful Kappa strip, this year’s Puma red/white is the best

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

So what does this vote tell us? Fans still want our colours back or at least some kind of red involvement or it’s rigged by old heart fans.

The vote tells us that most of the real fans City has were previously Heart fans. Most of the other spectators at a City match are attracted by free tickets, special cheap limited match memberships, parents whose kids are playing at half-time,  etc. etc.

And City Football Group has no idea, and doesn't care either.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I am flogging a dead horse here but the best compromise from the start was a sky blue/white stripes kit with white shorts and what ever socks.

I dont think you can go back to red and white stripes now given that we have been city longer than we have been Heart

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The vote tells us that most of the real fans City has were previously Heart fans. Most of the other spectators at a City match are attracted by free tickets, special cheap limited match memberships, parents whose kids are playing at half-time,  etc. etc.

And City Football Group has no idea, and doesn't care either.

Or as per usual with these online polls. Its a minority of fired up people skewing the results 😛

• Like 1