Melbourne Football

19/20 Puma Kits

Dylan

12 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

SYDNEY Fc have returned the kit copying favour by copying our charcoal kit from last season

37 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Key difference being that ours looked incredible, theirs is an eye sore.

All Charcoal Kits suck and so over done, they belong back in 2010 and sit up there only with the Gold Kits of the early 2000's in their awfulness... City's replacing Red and White with Charcoal was a joke and this new Away Kit is even worse. Even the MHFC Charcoal Kits were cringe worthy.

I dont know how any argue with me about City being the same club as Heart. CFG allowed its Japanese Club to continue to wear Red and if they had changed the club's name and allowed them to wear Red then they would have not lost so many fans that attendances have become a joke. In fact in the saem Kit and with consistent finals the New Club probably would be sitting after MV, SFC and WSW in crowd numbers.

I can only recall one of the most vocal fans on here who said they leave the club if they changed the colors also say he would not take a name change... mind u he joined the others in seeing more City games than me.

The club could now very likely become the Third most supported club in Melbourne all because of one dumb decision.

50 minutes ago, cadete said:

All Charcoal Kits suck and so over done, they belong back in 2010 and sit up there only with the Gold Kits of the early 2000's in their awfulness... City's replacing Red and White with Charcoal was a joke and this new Away Kit is even worse. Even the MHFC Charcoal Kits were cringe worthy.

I dont know how any argue with me about City being the same club as Heart. CFG allowed its Japanese Club to continue to wear Red and if they had changed the club's name and allowed them to wear Red then they would have not lost so many fans that attendances have become a joke. In fact in the saem Kit and with consistent finals the New Club probably would be sitting after MV, SFC and WSW in crowd numbers.

I can only recall one of the most vocal fans on here who said they leave the club if they changed the colors also say he would not take a name change... mind u he joined the others in seeing more City games than me.

The club could now very likely become the Third most supported club in Melbourne all because of one dumb decision.

Hey Cadete, genuine question here and not just being a smart-arse or dickhead...

I'm interested in knowing just how you view yourself in relation to Melbourne City, i.e. what sort of supporter/follower you see yourself as. Obviously you don't see it as the same club as Heart and it looks like you don't invest anywhere near the emotional effort you once used to - but there must be something there still for you to bob up on occasion on this forum and comment.

I'd love to know just for my own sake as I don't see you as the typical forum dipshit who whinges every week they are quitting, only to call the club for membership discounts the very next season....

17 minutes ago, rass said:

Hey Cadete, genuine question here and not just being a smart-arse or dickhead...

I'm interested in knowing just how you view yourself in relation to Melbourne City, i.e. what sort of supporter/follower you see yourself as. Obviously you don't see it as the same club as Heart and it looks like you don't invest anywhere near the emotional effort you once used to - but there must be something there still for you to bob up on occasion on this forum and comment.

I'd love to know just for my own sake as I don't see you as the typical forum dipshit who whinges every week they are quitting, only to call the club for membership discounts the very next season....

I have quit being a MCFC fan a while ago... the Digital Red and White Away Kit was the last straw for me.

I only come on here at work out of habit to really post in the Club Room.

I dont think I will call myself a supporter of Western United, but I probably will have more interest in them. As I support Man United, love the color Green as a Celtic Fan and my AFL side is Geelong. I also live in a North West direction to the City these days. 

In saying that as I have posted a bit on here the A-League needs to make some big changes to become interesting for a lot of people of which I am one... as it is really hard to see the League as one of Club Tribalism when you have a pool of Australian players who take two year contracts at a new club every two years. The League needs to lift its standard and have Players the fans can become more attached to and I see lifting the amount of Foreign Players at clubs is the only solution.

Otherwise we will continue to watch the same mediocre players move from club to club being guaranteed positions as Professional Footballers as long as they can sit among the best 200 odd Australian players based in Australia. I feel the restrictions on foreign footballers has actually been a major reason on the obvious dip in the quality of the domestic side as our players are not being made to work hard enough to earn a decent wage as domestic footballers. 

When you had to be among the very best in the NSL or more likely play overseas to be a Professional Australian Footballer, our players worked a lot harder on advancing themselves as players. Still today young players who have to play NPL at Top NPL clubs before being noticed for A-League squads continue to improve at a greater rate than those who have been gifted spots in Rep Sides and A-Leagues lists since being teenagers.

Edited by cadete
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, cadete said:

I have quit being a MCFC fan a while ago... the Digital Red and White Away Kit was the last straw for me.

I dont think I will call myself a supporter of Western United, but I probably will have more interest in them. As I support Man United, love the color Green as a Celtic Fan and my AFL side is Geelong. I also live in a North West direction to the City these days. 

In saying that as I have posted a bit on here the A-League needs to make some big changes to become interesting for a lot of people of which I am one... as it is really hard to see the League as one of Club Tribalism when you have a pool of Australian players who take two year contracts at a new club every two years. The League needs to lift its standard and have Players the fans can become more attached to and I see lifting the amount of Foreign Players at clubs is the only solution.

Otherwise we will continue to watch the same mediocre players move from club to club being guaranteed positions as Professional Footballers as long as they can sit among the best 200 odd Australian players based in Australia. I feel the restrictions on foreign footballers has actually been a major reason on the obvious dip in the quality of the domestic side as our players are not being made to work hard enough to earn a decent wage as domestic footballers. 

When you had to be among the very best in the NSL or more likely play overseas to be a Professional Australian Footballer, our players worked a lot harder on advancing themselves as players. Still today young players who have to play NPL at Top NPL clubs before being noticed for A-League squads continue to improve at a greater rate than those who have been gifted spots in Rep Sides and A-Leagues lists since being teenagers.

Thank you - I definitely appreciate where you're coming from and totally agree with your thoughts on the HAL.  As a Geelong lad, I see the appeal of WU but am more interested in seeing how they go in relation to creating a bigger/stronger league that one day includes promotion and relegation. Hopefully..

Anyway, back to the kits. I personally think the all 'city blue' home kit looks like dogshit. I don't mind the away strip as it is something different, but would probably save my coin this season and end up buying an Aston Villa top now they're back in the EPL instead.

53 minutes ago, rass said:

Thank you - I definitely appreciate where you're coming from and totally agree with your thoughts on the HAL.  As a Geelong lad, I see the appeal of WU but am more interested in seeing how they go in relation to creating a bigger/stronger league that one day includes promotion and relegation. Hopefully..

Anyway, back to the kits. I personally think the all 'city blue' home kit looks like dogshit. I don't mind the away strip as it is something different, but would probably save my coin this season and end up buying an Aston Villa top now they're back in the EPL instead.

For me there is actually workable solution to Pro/Rel which I agree is severely needed.

I find most PPL who throw up using a whole bunch of NPL clubs as an option are usually those who have not been to a lot of NPL games like I have in the past as it def is not a solution. Most NPL fans are A-League committed and the top ones in Melbourne will always have issues attracting fans due to the Ethnic Communities attached which our so important to these club's that they will always exist. (It is why these clubs do exist - As much connectors of PPL as well as Sporting Clubs). 

I think the League should look at a 16 or 18 or even 20 team League with two divisions, with mainly the adding of New Generic Clubs in Geographic areas not represented (CBF with which are better than others) and then maybe South Melbourne and if there is another NPL side viable in NSW, QLD or SA (To be so they most likely need to be none ethnic).

You could then have two divisions where you play the sides in your Division four times and those in the other Division two times or perhaps (3 and 2) and then 3 sides go up and down.  I think its important to have the Bottom Division sides playing the Top sides so that clubs can remain relevant and competitive if they get promoted.

Supporters could still see their clubs playing at the Top Stadiums and players would be more likely to stay on if relegation occurred as they are still getting a go at playing on the biggest domestic stage in some way. Getting back to City and Heart - The sad thing is such a model could have seen Heart go on and turn things around.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cadete said:

Yokohama F Marinos play in a medium blue and IIRC always have done.

What you need to look at in terms of "City blue issue" is the % ownership of the club. The new Chinese club acquisition I'm not sure about, but of the other clubs in the CFG stable to my knowledge only Manchester, Melbourne and CA Torque are 100%-owned by CFG. CA Torque already played in a light blue jersey (and medium blue shorts and socks).

Leaving Melbourne as the only CFG-club whose colours could be changed without any opposition from other shareholders. Which is what has happened.

Much as I think that the decision by CFG to ram City blue down Heart's throat was a stupid and unnecessary one, and much as I would have liked to retain red-and-white - the colours I wear to a match and always will do - TBH I reckon it's only the presenting issue. The real underlying issue is our lack of success over the life of the club. If we had had a season or two where we had won everything in sight IMO the attitude of Heart/City fans would be quite different from what it is today.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Yokohama F Marinos play in a medium blue and IIRC always have done.

What you need to look at in terms of "City blue issue" is the % ownership of the club. The new Chinese club acquisition I'm not sure about, but of the other clubs in the CFG stable to my knowledge only Manchester, Melbourne and CA Torque are 100%-owned by CFG. CA Torque already played in a light blue jersey (and medium blue shorts and socks).

Leaving Melbourne as the only CFG-club whose colours could be changed without any opposition from other shareholders. Which is what has happened.

Much as I think that the decision by CFG to ram City blue down Heart's throat was a stupid and unnecessary one, and much as I would have liked to retain red-and-white - the colours I wear to a match and always will do - TBH I reckon it's only the presenting issue. The real underlying issue is our lack of success over the life of the club. If we had had a season or two where we had won everything in sight IMO the attitude of Heart/City fans would be quite different from what it is today.

I agree some fans have dropped off due to on field performances...

However, many Heart fans if we still wore the Stripes at Home and could nickname the team "Heart" in a meaningful way would not walk away from a team who all be it in a lack luster manner made finals every year would be more than happy to go week in week out.

On 25/07/2019 at 11:05 AM, cadete said:

Good point re player movement merry go round ruining the HAL.

18 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

Good point re player movement merry go round ruining the HAL.

It drives me nuts... and TBH its probably the best indicator of the quality of the league and its engagement with the Public.

The player movement around the same league is something that belongs in a Semi-Professional League, where players want to stay in the local area but can still earn decent playing wages so they move from one local club to another on two year contracts when teams save up money to win a flag.

This does not belong at the highest tier... the rules of the A-League are reminiscent of Command Economics and they have ultimately yielded the same results in having some very obvious built in flaws. Things like the Salary Cap, Player quotas only work if you own the game like AFL, NBA and NFL they dont when your one of many participants.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cadete said:

The player movement around the same league is something that belongs in a Semi-Professional League,

I agree with everything you have written.

The question that I battle with is whether a transfer fee system between clubs would have stopped this player merry go round, or whether an uncapped league would really stop players pursuing opportunities overseas, reduce player movement, created a biased league to favour those clubs with the most cash, or whether youth development would be more advantageous financially.

It's challenging and we have to be cautious that with our smaller market that we dont create a $$$= success scenario that can not be sustained.

Edited by playmaker

Is this really as bad as you're making out? This season we have signed Scott Galloway and Josh Brillante from other A-League clubs.

Looking down our senior playing list I can only see one other - Lachlan Wales - signed direct from another A-League club, and you can hardly say he's done the rounds of other clubs because he's too young to have done so.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cadete said:

It drives me nuts... and TBH its probably the best indicator of the quality of the league and its engagement with the Public.

The player movement around the same league is something that belongs in a Semi-Professional League, where players want to stay in the local area but can still earn decent playing wages so they move from one local club to another on two year contracts when teams save up money to win a flag.

This does not belong at the highest tier... the rules of the A-League are reminiscent of Command Economics and they have ultimately yielded the same results in having some very obvious built in flaws. Things like the Salary Cap, Player quotas only work if you own the game like AFL, NBA and NFL they dont when your one of many participants.

It drives me nuts too but I don't believe it due to the model of the A-League, I think its the majority of blame lies with the clubs. Constantly changing owners, football philosophies and coaches because they don't know what they want to be.

I could use any club as an example but I will use Adelaide. They spent 4 years under ex-Barcelona coaches, implementing a distinct style of play and philosophy and won all 3 domestic trophies. Then they changed tack completely and appointed Kurz who turned them in to a super disciplined counter attacking team that gave limited opportunities to youngsters. Then ownership changed (now 75% Dutch and 25% Chinese owned) and the new chairman , Piet Van de Pol, has appointed a fellow Dutchman and aims to turn the club into a developer of youth.

WSW pulled the same shit, trying to replace Popovic with Gombau (whose philosophies and football are polar opposites) and we've seen it with JVS replaced by Joyce replaced by Mombaerts. Every new coach sees the game differently and rebuilds the squad with players capable of playing their style of football.

I argue its the high turnover in A-League coaches that leads to the high turnover of A-league players.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I despair that they will never get the fucking message that we've tried to send them.

Don't worry jw about these petty similarities. We have enough points of difference to not worry about such things. For e.g. our geographical difference, we train in Bundoora and they dont. 

Edited by n i k o

22 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Don't worry jw about these petty similarities. We have enough points of difference to not worry about such things. For e.g. our geographical difference, we train in Bundoora and they dont. 

We're civilised, intelligent human beings, and they are neanderthal mutants. It's obvious really. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Perhaps a good point of difference is the throphy cabinet! Next to using their colours perhaps we can also copy some of their player recruitment strategy?

16 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Nice to see puma putting in a lot of effort in kit design https://www.footyheadlines.com/2019/06/sv-sandhausen-19-20-home-away-third-kits.html?m=1 

Jeez how easy must it be for a kit designer these days?! Just put all the effort into one design, and then change the colours for each club --> Profit!

Zero but absolutely zero effort and consideration has been put in this years kit. Home kit one of worse I’ve seen in years, super ugly with the blue shorts. I was little jealous when I’ve seen Man City on the weekend with their classy white shorts.

Will we release the anniversary kit soon? Will we actually wear it on the pitch?

Old buzzard I might be, but I consider "designing three 'new' kits" for a football club every season to be a classic example of total waste of time, effort (if any), and money.

26 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Zero but absolutely zero effort and consideration has been put in this years kit. Home kit one of worse I’ve seen in years, super ugly with the blue shorts. I was little jealous when I’ve seen Man City on the weekend with their classy white shorts.

Will we release the anniversary kit soon? Will we actually wear it on the pitch?

I agree. Our lads look as though they are wearing a pair of shortie pyjamas that came as a hand-out on an Etihad flight.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Old buzzard I might be, but I consider "designing three 'new' kits" for a football club every season to be a classic example of total waste of time, effort (if any), and money.

I agree. Our lads look as though they are wearing a pair of shortie pyjamas that came as a hand-out on an Etihad flight.

And people get paid for this

:droy:

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Haha, that’s probably the best description!