Melbourne Football

19/20 Puma Kits

Dylan

The away kit with the grey spastic stripes looks like the WSW away kit from 2014/15 which had light grey hoops.

We wore our 3rd kit more last year so we weren't seen in red & white as much (apart from in NZ). If there's no red on the 3rd kit, I'm afraid I'll be finally, well and truly...Dead! 💔 Lol

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Again? So basically the club had already demoted red and white last season? Talk about tin eared... 

If the third kit is actually going to be a red and white 10 year anniversary kit then I don't think the club can be faulted for thinking it is a good gesture to the fans.

7 minutes ago, malloy said:

If the third kit is actually going to be a red and white 10 year anniversary kit then I don't think the club can be faulted for thinking it is a good gesture to the fans.

I agree.

I know it's a small point, but why not come out with that information from the start? What is wrong with actually saying something like "Our Home and Away kits for Season 2019/20 will be released on 12th July 2019, to be followed (at a date yet to be fixed) by our 10th anniversary kit featuring the red and white colours of Melbourne Heart."

I can't see what the club could lose by trying to keep its original fans on board. As it is people get upset every time and fire off tweets and facebook comments etc. The angst all quite unnecessary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malloy said:

I'll be happy to see a 10th anniversary red and white kit, if that what happens, but I'm not happy with the sly demotion from second to third kit, which apparently happened last season without us being told. CFG haven't changed the colours of clubs they have more recently bought into, and it was a huge misstep to change ours. It's not going to get any less a problem for me however many years they keep putting us in baby blue. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I agree.

I know it's a small point, but why not come out with that information from the start? What is wrong with actually saying something like "Our Home and Away kits for Season 2019/20 will be released on 12th July 2019, to be followed (at a date yet to be fixed) by our 10th anniversary kit featuring the red and white colours of Melbourne Heart."

I can't see what the club could lose by trying to keep its original fans on board. As it is people get upset every time and fire off tweets and facebook comments etc. The angst all quite unnecessary.

It isn't a small point, that is the point. They still don't get how much the original colours matter to many of the original fans.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I'll be happy to see a 10th anniversary red and white kit, if that what happens, but I'm not happy with the sly demotion from second to third kit, which apparently happened last season without us being told. CFG haven't changed the colours of clubs they have more recently bought into, and it was a huge misstep to change ours. It's not going to get any less a problem for me however many years they keep putting us in baby blue. 

It isn't a small point, that is the point. They still don't get how much the original colours matter to many of the original fans.

Spot on.

The third kit will barely be used.

Last season we only played in red against Wellington because our charcoal away kit was too close to black.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t mind the cleanliness of the home top but they should have done better with the shorts and socks - they are taking the piss, somebody tell them that this colour isn’t the same as classy white.

I’m still disgusted by the fact that this sky blue is forced so hard on us that even shorts and socks need to be sky blue. Talking about showing who is boss here eh! Even their flagship team remains untouched in colours but not Melbourne.

Edited by Mr MO

I do think that the shorts should be white with the home kit, but I like both of them. 

I have noticed that the shirts that the manager and support staff were wearing at training seem to be red and white, which is different to past seasons.

It should be fairly clear though by now that the club has moved on from its Heart days, so expecting them to do anything but a token gesture here and there is likely just going to lead to disappointment. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

As well as Sydney and City using sky blue, Perth now have an away kit in sky blue. What a farce.

One thing to have your home kit in sky blue. Another to actually choose to use it in an away kit. Awful colour.

Edited by n i k o

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

10 hours ago, fensaddler said:

They either:
1. Don't think there are any of us left or whoever is left is seen as 'negligible'.
2. They don't give a rats us about the original fans, as long as their Global "City Blue" Brand stocks are rising.

11 hours ago, Heart_fan said:

It should be fairly clear though by now that the club has moved on from its Heart days, so expecting them to do anything but a token gesture here and there is likely just going to lead to disappointment. 

Unfortunately I think that this sums up where we are at now. Even the previous conduit for communication with the club (Fan Representative Group) has been shut down - perhaps not officially but it hasn't met for 18 months.

I don't know the %ownership we have of the new Chinese acquisition, but, leaving them aside, in CFG only three clubs are owned 100% by CFG - being Manchester, Melbourne and CA Torque. CA Torque already played in blue. The other clubs are all only partially owned, so there can be what I'll call "local opposition" to changes proposed by CFG. That is not the case here in Melbourne. You either do as you're told, or you quit. That's really the curse of having wholly private ownership of football clubs.

The changing in official short colour and the introduction plus handling of the third kit (third kit won’t be used much since we have a white away kit) shows that they absolutely give nothing about history, fans,  the colours of our badge and even MFC own short tradition.

I wouldn’t mind a getting an official club response on the fact that they have decided to change the official club colours. 

I’ll have to live with it but I’m still upset.

Edited by Mr MO

On 7/13/2019 at 2:18 PM, Mr MO said:

The changing in official short colour and the introduction plus handling of the third kit (third kit won’t be used much since we have a white away kit) shows that they absolutely give nothing about history, fans,  the colours of our badge and even MFC own short tradition.

Let me state firstly that i am firmly in the "Red should be a big part of the clubs identity, hate the whole City Blue concept, and Navy Blue can just Fuck right off" camp, but i understand the club really. 

Why would they care about making red an integral part of the club? They took the hit initially with the identity change but mitigated it somewhat by keeping the away kit, but after year one they have been steadily and surely removing red from the club identity. This is nothing new. We are all still here. We are all upset and angry about it but ultimately we will all keep coming back for more, despite the club doing a great job of alienating it's fanbase every chance it gets, especially last season. 

The above quoted bit proves they don't care, and the fact we are all still members and posting about it proves that our threats are meaningless and that we will just al;l cling to the club no matter how shittily it represents us or cares about our opinions. 

12 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Let me state firstly that i am firmly in the "Red should be a big part of the clubs identity, hate the whole City Blue concept, and Navy Blue can just Fuck right off" camp, but i understand the club really. 

Why would they care about making red an integral part of the club? They took the hit initially with the identity change but mitigated it somewhat by keeping the away kit, but after year one they have been steadily and surely removing red from the club identity. This is nothing new. We are all still here. We are all upset and angry about it but ultimately we will all keep coming back for more, despite the club doing a great job of alienating it's fanbase every chance it gets, especially last season. 

The above quoted bit proves they don't care, and the fact we are all still members and posting about it proves that our threats are meaningless and that we will just al;l cling to the club no matter how shittily it represents us or cares about our opinions. 

I wasn’t even advocating in the context that I want to see more red on our home kit. I was more about CFG pushing the City Blue cart more and more in our face. This to an extend that they now have changed our official home kit colours from blue shirt with white shorts to blue shirt with blue shorts. Very very few clubs change their home kit colour setup as their will be a massive fan problem.

All this goes against their own short club history as Melbourne City. I don’t get it really, Manchester remains unchanged. How are we supposed to build a fan base if we can’t even stick to the small important things which create a club identity and fan loyalty?

Edited by Mr MO

On 13/07/2019 at 2:18 PM, Mr MO said:

I wouldn’t mind a getting an official club response on the fact that they have decided to change the official club colours. 

I’ll have to live with it but I’m still upset.

As I understand it the colours of the badge are not negotiable, and I don't think that they should be brought into this discussion. The badge comes from the Arms of the City of Melbourne, and the club uses it subject to an agreement between the club and the City of Melbourne. The red on the badge is the red of Melbourne, and is nothing to do with the red colours originally adopted by Melbourne Heart.

I'm also not sure where the idea of "official club colours" comes from, especially the argument about shorts (and socks). Heart played in both red and white shorts, and various different socks, so I don't see that we have much of a point to make there about blue shorts.

Whether we will ever be able to influence the club is one matter, but for me the most significant thing that comes out of these continuing discussions between fans is that we supporters have no formal "voice" that we can use. We can moan away on this Forum, fire in e-mails when we get really upset, go to club events and try personal conversations, etc. etc., but as far as I can see we have no way of being represented or recognised. That is the heart of the matter. (Originally the pun was unintended, but it now seems appropriate.)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Obligatory 'unpopular opinion' intro but I really like it. Initially the all blue looked a bit odd but I've come around. Might even be my favourite in the City era. 

No worries, if I was at all comfortable with the blue in principle I think I might even agree, it may be the least worst blue kit we've had. It's what the blue represents in terms of fan voice and club heritage which troubles me. I accept it doesn't trouble everyone!! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm also not sure where the idea of "official club colours" comes from, especially the argument about shorts (and socks). Heart played in both red and white shorts, and various different socks, so I don't see that we have much of a point to make there about blue shorts.

Well it’s an not idea, blue shirt and white shorts are our registered home colours and kit just like in Manchester. Club colours form a big part of the identity & loyalty for most clubs at least where I’m from. Colours are sacred. Can you imagine what will happen in Madrid if Real  starts playing in blue shorts at home?

I believe Heart home colour shorts were always red. White was only used as a anti clash colour at home games.

I just think they are taking the absolute piss with this kit.

Okay so I've just checked this all out. 

The reveal video on the club's website is really cool. Worth a watch.

The two strips are actually very nice, in particular I'm liking the combo when they're side by side .

The puma logo is prominent and bold, my favourite yet. It works very nicely on the socks.

I do agree with a few others that the all blue look can be a bit tiresome, so to that end I hope they mix in the white shorts from time to time.

All in all a pretty good job, if the club reveal a surprise third kit during the season, like MHFC did with the fan designed ones a few seasons back then maybe a few more folks on here won't be so disheartened.

2 minutes ago, kiko said:

Okay so I've just checked this all out. 

The reveal video on the club's website is really cool. Worth a watch.

The two strips are actually very nice, in particular I'm liking the combo when they're side by side .

The puma logo is prominent and bold, my favourite yet. It works very nicely on the socks.

I do agree with a few others that the all blue look can be a bit tiresome, so to that end I hope they mix in the white shorts from time to time.

All in all a pretty good job, if the club reveal a surprise third kit during the season, like MHFC did with the fan designed ones a few seasons back then maybe a few more folks on here won't be so disheartened.

I'm waiting for the link at the bottom to sign up to an online course.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 11:17 AM, jw1739 said:

The badge comes from the Arms of the City of Melbourne, and the club uses it subject to an agreement between the club and the City of Melbourne. The red on the badge is the red of Melbourne, and is nothing to do with the red colours originally adopted by Melbourne Heart.

what? pretty sure yarraside used the Melbourne flag because it was red and white which was then further adopted to be the emblem of melbourne city because it was relevant to heart pretty sure it was voted on aswell

1 hour ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

That's a red line for @jw1739

You know perfectly well that I won't admit to that!

Whatever that explanation says, there's no question that the badge is based on the Coat of Arms of the City of Melbourne, itself officially granted in 1940. As for the agreement with the City of Melbourne to use the coat of arms as a basis for the badge, I refer you to that here: https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city-football-club-partners-with-city-council-to-promote-cultural-events/news-story/5d71c303d90f5cfc7e97af513cd5c526

Anyway, that's all water under the bridge. My main point is that IMO it's far and away the best badge/logo (whatever we call it) in the League, and no way do I support any move to change it.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

You know perfectly well that I won't admit to that!

Whatever that explanation says, there's no question that the badge is based on the Coat of Arms of the City of Melbourne, itself officially granted in 1940. As for the agreement with the City of Melbourne to use the coat of arms as a basis for the badge, I refer you to that here: https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city-football-club-partners-with-city-council-to-promote-cultural-events/news-story/5d71c303d90f5cfc7e97af513cd5c526

Anyway, that's all water under the bridge. My main point is that IMO it's far and away the best badge/logo (whatever we call it) in the League, and no way do I support any move to change it.

I agree, I love the badge - it’s class.

Perhaps the marketing department can make a change to the badge explanation sheet? Add to the paragraph about Red and White;

..... .....what would become Melbourne City. The colours of Red and recently also White are merely just there to be ignored.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Haha 1