Melbourne Football

Security and policing

fensaddler

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/14/football-fans-have-long-been-treated-with-contempt-and-there-is-no-sign-of-that-changing

Noted this may need merging or moving, but I felt this needed discussion. I've seen enough inside AAMI to suggest that security and policing is awful. Examples:

- Fans of WSW and City sitting together as a group of friends at the pre-season FFA Cup match being asked to separate by security staff

- Active supporters constantly being hassled for what looks to me to be nothing - 'waving a flag', 'getting too excited', 'throwing a ball about' - there was even one memorable occasion this season when the capo appeared to be ejected, or at least taken out and spoken to

- And the one time a robust presence was needed, when the Victory active arrived beered up at Gate 2 and proceeded to shove waiting City fans out of the way, security were nowhere to be seen

Really glad this is finally getting the coverage it deserves. We are law-abiding, sensible fifty-somethings. But I and Mrs F are constantly alarmed at what we see inside the ground - including the unnecessarily overwhelming police presence around Active, and the apparent contempt in which soccer fans are held.  Especially when all the violence is at the AFL.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, fensaddler said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/14/football-fans-have-long-been-treated-with-contempt-and-there-is-no-sign-of-that-changing

Noted this may need merging or moving, but I felt this needed discussion. I've seen enough inside AAMI to suggest that security and policing is awful. Examples:

- Fans of WSW and City sitting together as a group of friends at the pre-season FFA Cup match being asked to separate by security staff

- Active supporters constantly being hassled for what looks to me to be nothing - 'waving a flag', 'getting too excited', 'throwing a ball about' - there was even one memorable occasion this season when the capo appeared to be ejected, or at least taken out and spoken to

- And the one time a robust presence was needed, when the Victory active arrived beered up at Gate 2 and proceeded to shove waiting City fans out of the way, security were nowhere to be seen

Really glad this is finally getting the coverage it deserves. We are law-abiding, sensible fifty-somethings. But I and Mrs F are constantly alarmed at what we see inside the ground - including the unnecessarily overwhelming police presence around Active, and the apparent contempt in which soccer fans are held.  Especially when all the violence is at the AFL.

In AFL it's called "passion". In soccer, when a kid throws a wrapper on the floor it's called a "riot"

10 hours ago, Tony999 said:

In AFL it's called "passion". In soccer, when a kid throws a wrapper on the floor it's called a "riot"

To be fair the AFL doesn't have organised groups of upto 50 people roaming the streets before/after games looking for other fans to fight...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, malloy said:

To be fair the AFL doesn't have organised groups of upto 50 people roaming the streets before/after games looking for other fans to fight...

They don't need to. They fight inside the stadium. Seems to be a weekly event for them for the past couple seasons.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, malloy said:

Isn’t the issue that police and security are unable to differentiate between the normal fans in the stadium and those so called hooligans outside the stadium.

I’ve actually had an experience myself several years back. I received a 48hr ban to the Etihad stadium and had the privilege to be walked out of the ground by 5 Police officers. My offence, I chucked a plastic beer carrier on floor when we got thumbed by Victory. My friends thought it was hilarious and very naughty.

Edited by Mr MO

• 1 month later...
On 20/06/2019 at 6:15 AM, citypool said:

Just reading about bankwest stadium I wish we had safe standing at aami Park 

There's absolutely no reason why it could not be done except the intransigence of the management of AAMI Park, and Victoria Police and other "security" authorities. Clearly FFA must be on-side with WSW, otherwise they could not be doing it.

The engineering involved is minimal.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

There's absolutely no reason why it could not be done except the intransigence of the management of AAMI Park, and Victoria Police and other "security" authorities. Clearly FFA must be on-side with WSW, otherwise they could not be doing it.

The engineering involved is minimal.

Im not sure WSW would need the ok from FFA for safe standing. Seems to me like it would be a deal between WSW and the Stadium owners