Melbourne Football

Joyce is GONE!

OzOranje

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/warren-joyce-released-as-coach-of-melbourne-city/news-story/06ed98c15cb5bd85017824a79313241a?nk=425dde2122ef39813eae8de5e4c16d4c-1557275027

Warren Joyce released as coach of Melbourne City

David Davutovic, Herald Sun

24 minutes ago

Warren Joyce has been released by Melbourne City.

City players and staff have been informed this morning during exit interviews.

Joyce’s two-year contract expired at the end of this season, which concluded in last Sunday’s gut-wrenching elimination finals loss away to Adelaide United.

City is now likely to appoint an overseas coach, with a continental European option understood to be leading the race.

Joyce, who made his name as a youth coach at Manchester United, was gutted to be leaving the club and was said to be emotional in the Coopers Stadium changerooms after last Sunday’s extra-time loss, perhaps aware of his fate.

While eager to continue, Joyce was looking forward to reuniting with his family.

“It’s been a challenging couple of seasons, but I have great pride in the players and staff for the progress the club has made,” Joyce said.

“I’ve seen real growth from the playing group and within the football organisation and the continued development of the right kind of culture.

“I am confident that A-League success is around the corner for the club. I’d like to wish everyone at the club and the fans the best of luck for the future,” he added.”

New City chief executive Brad Rowse, who replaces China-bound Scott Munn, paid tribute to Joyce.

“Warren leaves Melbourne City having helped the club progress against many of our organisational ambitions, and we are grateful for his dedication and passion for the club’s development over the past two years,’’ Rowse said.

“In particular, under his stewardship a significant number of young players have made the transition to first team football and many have been recognised with National team selection.”

Joyce was a polarising figure during his two-season tenure, which was dominated by several bitter splits with star players, including Bruno Fornaroli, Tim Cahill and Neil Kilkenny.

However Joyce’s record stacked up, recording the fifth highest win percentage of any A-League manager to manage two season or more (43.86%), behind Graham Arnold, Ange Postecoglou, Kevin Muscat and Tony Popovic.

He also blooded a host of youngsters, and provided first-team opportunities for the likes of Daniel Arzani and Ramy Najjarine.

8th May 2019

Edited by jw1739

A good outcome for all parties. Joyce was at the end of a two-year contract, and had a 43.9% league win record whilst with us. Doesn't harm his CV really, and now we can start the healing process and move the club forward again.

I'm interested to see Rowse quoted, because in these past couple of years the departing Munn has been very conspicuous by his silence. 

Also delighted that the decision was made very quickly after our season ended, when there was every indication in the media that it might take some time.

• Like 1

This is a strong move by the club. Joyce's uncompromising man management skills, lack of creativity and joyless brand of football is no longer needed. The best thing he did was accelerate youth development, so maybe that's where he will end up. The next coaching appointment is crucial to our survival. 

35 minutes ago, kiko said:

This is a strong move by the club. Joyce's uncompromising man management skills, lack of creativity and joyless brand of football is no longer needed. The best thing he did was accelerate youth development, so maybe that's where he will end up. The next coaching appointment is crucial to our survival. 

I dunno, I'd love to know what prompted Palatsides to leave but his loss is a real blow to our young player development.

Hopefully, the next coach will be appointed soon, rather than just before the next season when all the wrong players have already been recruited

1 hour ago, OzOranje said:

Now time to get back on track, can’t wait

Don't be so negative 

Just like to say thanks to Joyce for everything he has done over the past 2 years. Good luck and wish him all the best in his future endeavours. 

42 minutes ago, n i k o said:

It was vital the club took a stand and sacked him rather than some bullshit mutual termination bureaucracy   

Neither is correct. 

They just didn't renew a new contract. Joyce walks in probably the best light under circumstances and the club doesn't have any blood on their hands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, haz said:

Woah. Let me get this straight. We let Bruno walk mid-season, only for CFG not to renew Joyce's contract. Huh?

Yes. They also worked the loop-hole in FIFA's rule on transfer windows to secure Jame Maclaren. In this they were backing Joyce's disciplinary approach to all players under his management, irrespective of rank. However, when he failed to achieve the objectives set for his tenure, his contract was not extended. I can see the argument in favour of what CFG did in both cases.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Neither is correct. 

They just didn't renew a new contract. Joyce walks in probably the best light under circumstances and the club doesn't have any blood on their hands.

I think you're correct. First impression and media reports said he was sacked. 

• Like 1