Melbourne Football

Macarthur Bullshits

Dylan

• 2 weeks later...

I reckon Macarthur is a great location for an expansion club and they've honestly done really well with the name and logo imo, I'm excited for their arrival.

With them being only 45km away from Parramatta Stadium and 40km away from Kogarah Oval it sets up a two really nice Sydney derbies and then being only 55km away from WIN Stadium really sets up a strong platform for a Wollongong team to come in during the next expansion phase. 

It's a relatively risk-adverse choice and then with a stronger league hopefully we can get some of the more romantic types (Wollongong, Canberra, Tasmania etc.) into the competition. 

• Like 2

I'm puzzled over the use of what looks like a bull. The region of Macarthur in NSW, south-west of Sydney, is named after John and Elizabeth Macarthur, pioneers of the Australian wool industry. I assume that the club takes its name from this region. At a casual glance I had assumed that the logo was a ram, rather than a bull, but it clearly isn't. Macarthur did have cattle as well as sheep, but it's sheep and wool for which he is famous.

It's not too late to change the logo to a ram.

47 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm puzzled over the use of what looks like a bull. The region of Macarthur in NSW, south-west of Sydney, is named after John and Elizabeth Macarthur, pioneers of the Australian wool industry. I assume that the club takes its name from this region. At a casual glance I had assumed that the logo was a ram, rather than a bull, but it clearly isn't. Macarthur did have cattle as well as sheep, but it's sheep and wool for which he is famous.

It's not too late to change the logo to a ram.

I read that the name Bulls was chosen for two reasons. One is the physical power associated with bulls, and the other is because of a story dating back to 1795 when a runaway herd of cattle was discovered in the region. 

There's a bull on the region's coat of arms.

"The golden horned ram and golden bull, in heraldic terms, are called supporters and are displayed to emphasize the wool and grazing industry heritage of the region brought here by James Ruse and John Macarthur."

https://www.campbelltown.nsw.gov.au/CouncilandCouncillors/Councilhistory#The-Coat-Of-Armsnbsp-9

migrated_coatofarms.jpg?w=190&h=323

Makes enough sense to me.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nate said:

There's a bull on the region's coat of arms.

"The golden horned ram and golden bull, in heraldic terms, are called supporters and are displayed to emphasize the wool and grazing industry heritage of the region brought here by James Ruse and John Macarthur."

https://www.campbelltown.nsw.gov.au/CouncilandCouncillors/Councilhistory#The-Coat-Of-Armsnbsp-9

migrated_coatofarms.jpg?w=190&h=323

Makes enough sense to me.

Too bad their logo couldn't have been the coat of arms

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Nate said:

Nice to have a club with an almost purely white home kit in the A-League but jeez, as if you'd reveal it like this instead of waiting to produce the real thing and have your players show it off.

Looks like an MS Paint fan-job.

No photo description available.

If the price of the membership is anything to go by the kit will retail for about $500....

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...