Melbourne Football

Squad 2019/2020

Harrison

38 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Cabrera is wearing 8 and Genreau is his old 17. Also, Atkinson is 13, Najjarine is 21, Najjar is 30, Metcalfe 34, Iannucci 37.

At a guess, Galloway 2, Windbichler 5, Brillante 6, Noone 12 and Bouzanis his old 20.

@Harrison Thanks. I saw Genreau's 17 and then promptly forgot it again! I'll make the changes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Cabrera is wearing 8 and Genreau is his old 17. Also, Atkinson is 13, Najjarine is 21, Najjar is 30, Metcalfe 34, Iannucci 37.

At a guess, Galloway 2, Windbichler 5, Brillante 6, Noone 12 and Bouzanis his old 20.

Windbichler wore 40 at his old club and Noone as a left footed winger would traditionally wear 11 which is free.

Galloway 2 and Brillante 6 are pretty straightforward. Knowing Bouzanis he'll kick off and want 00 or something ridiculous.

On 15/07/2019 at 3:22 PM, Harrison said:

Looks like Bouz is wearing 23 by his training kit in his insta post & Windbichler has 40 by the looks

Edited by dconder13

On 15/07/2019 at 4:45 PM, Bob Latchford said:

Windbichler wore 40 at his old club and Noone as a left footed winger would traditionally wear 11 which is free.

Galloway 2 and Brillante 6 are pretty straightforward. Knowing Bouzanis he'll kick off and want 00 or something ridiculous.

On the money with Windbichler and Noone. 

My dream of a 1-11 roughly in the right order is slipping away, although Maclaren buggered it up when he took 29. 

7 minutes ago, Harrison said:

On the money with Windbichler and Noone. 

My dream of a 1-11 roughly in the right order is slipping away, although Maclaren buggered it up when he took 29. 

I think I saw a training photo posted on instagram with Windbichler wearing 40? 

Yeah Jmac not changing to 9 this season is stupid. Crazy there may not be a 5, 7, 9 or 10 this season (numerically).

20 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Better towards the end of last season. Second season and French manager I'm hopeful he'll kick on. 

IMO it will be harder for Berenguer this season. Mombaerts will be very careful not to favour a player simply because he's French.

Okay so we clearly don’t do marquees but still the highest paid 2 players in the squad will automatically become marquee status as a result. What concerns me that a player who struggles here with the level of football, comes out of the lower leagues in Europe has become our top earner - that doesn’t sound right.

Edited by Mr MO

22 hours ago, eric forman said:

Florin is the marquee btw.

I'm afraid I don't believe this - and even if he is, it should be "a marquee" rather than "the marquee."

There are numerous articles that clearly state that Jamie Maclaren will have marquee status in 2019-20. For example, this one: https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/jamie-maclaren-says-the-lure-of-playing-in-front-of-family-was-crucial-to-his-decision-to-sign-for-melbourne-city/news-story/c5550a8506fdc6fce379cfd1c3b0c68f

Come on, this bloke is lucky he has an extra year on contract. There is no way he would deserve a contract extension on last seasons performances. The bloke barely deserved to start.

Now I'm hopeful he can prove many wrong including yours truly but there is a reason he came from the French 2nd division. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

Where is this information from ?

It was a rumour we were told and reported late last season but we have now had a club source confirm this.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm afraid I don't believe this - and even if he is, it should be "a marquee" rather than "the marquee."

There are numerous articles that clearly state that Jamie Maclaren will have marquee status in 2019-20. For example, this one: https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/jamie-maclaren-says-the-lure-of-playing-in-front-of-family-was-crucial-to-his-decision-to-sign-for-melbourne-city/news-story/c5550a8506fdc6fce379cfd1c3b0c68f

Sorry JW, you're right, he is A marquee, alongside Jmac.

22 minutes ago, eric forman said:

It was a rumour we were told and reported late last season but we have now had a club source confirm this.

Truly bizarre. I didn't think he was as bad as some over the whole season (though there were points I'm on the record as being very critical) but one of our two best players? He's going to have to improve substantially to justify that. Somebody reckons he's good. It's going to be interesting... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, eric forman said:

I have to defer to your inside knowledge. But FMD he's going to have to do one hell of a lot this season to justify it. He's been invisible both on and off the pitch so far.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I have to defer to your inside knowledge. But FMD he's going to have to do one hell of a lot this season to justify it. He's been invisible both on and off the pitch so far.

Apparently was played out of position last year so they are expecting a much bigger output this season.

24 minutes ago, eric forman said:

Apparently was played out of position last year so they are expecting a much bigger output this season.

So if so many players were known to have been played out of position, why didn't CFG step in?

1 minute ago, haz said:

So if so many players were known to have been played out of position, why didn't CFG step in?

I'd be equally worried if the suits were getting involved in selection and tactical issues. Their job is to hire and fire coaches to do that. It comes back to why they let the omnishambles run for two whole seasons. But we've been there many times and I'd rather just look forward now. The last two years has been largely too awful to recollect. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I'd be equally worried if the suits were getting involved in selection and tactical issues. Their job is to hire and fire coaches to do that. It comes back to why they let the omnishambles run for two whole seasons. But we've been there many times and I'd rather just look forward now. The last two years has been largely too awful to recollect. 

In principal, I agree, but I think that if I was on the Board of Melbourne City I would have stepped in. A lot of damage was done to the club as the season wore on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eric forman said:

So he is suddenly much better when played 10m to the left or right. Good players show good signs anywhere close to their preferred position he doesn’t.

He just isn’t marquee material and he sticks to his backloaded contract, good on him and poor form from the club to offer him that deal before even proven himself.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Berenguer is number 10 now 

Do you see us making any other signings or are we done wth just some youth promotions ?

Yes, I picked up Berenguer's change last night at Oakleigh. 

I have no idea about any further signings. We could have a Guest player if we wanted, and as mentioned in another thread we can have up to nine (9) Scholarship players outside the cap. Under the cap depends on whether we have any room, and possibly also if we envisage anything in the mid-season window.

• 2 weeks later...
  • jw1739 unpinned this topic