Melbourne Football

Squad 2019/2020

Harrison

3 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I like the comment about attacking players being a priority. Bart of course is out of contract, but not announced as gone, so that's interesting in itself. 

I take resolving the remaining player movements could (should) include him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I like the comment about attacking players being a priority. Bart of course is out of contract, but not announced as gone, so that's interesting in itself. 

My concern is that Pertrillo is pulling the strings on player recruitment without a manager......... surely not!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, moops said:

I take resolving the remaining player movements could (should) include him.

I think it's very clear. They've indicated to all the listed players that they want to keep them, meaning they adhere to their existing contracts or have already signed to new ones, so the players they are still negotiating with are Schenkeveld, Good, Brattan and Vidosic.

After that they are looking to add to the squad.

3 minutes ago, playmaker said:

My concern is that Pertrillo is pulling the strings on player recruitment without a manager......... surely not!

I suspect that CFG already know who they'd like to take the reins. And Petrillo has all the assistant coaches still there to advise him.

The club appears better organised than ever before.

Edited by jw1739

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I think he’s just re-signing the players that most managers would re-sign.

We obviously couldn’t keep the loaned players or the ones we’ve released (besides Galekovic who retired and La Rocca who should be released anyway).

Then the new manager can use the foreign spots on whoever he wants. It’s imperative he is allowed to sign who he wants though. I cannot stress this enough.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I think he’s just re-signing the players that most managers would re-sign.

We obviously couldn’t keep the loaned players or the ones we’ve released (besides Galekovic who retired and La Rocca who should be released anyway).

Then the new manager can use the foreign spots on whoever he wants. It’s imperative he is allowed to sign who he wants though. I cannot stress this enough.

I don’t think anybody is resigned? Contract extensions are always announced. All they’ve done in the article is list the players who are under contract next season with no surprises there.

11 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I don’t think anybody is resigned? Contract extensions are always announced. All they’ve done in the article is list the players who are under contract next season with no surprises there.

There’s a couple of players we don’t know the contract situation for that might’ve been re-signed. That’s more what I’m referring to. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harrison said:

There’s a couple of players we don’t know the contract situation for that might’ve been re-signed. That’s more what I’m referring to. 

Ianucci, Wales, Metcalfe, Najjar, plus the club expecting the return of Bouzanis and Genreau - these are the one' I was uncertain about. And that they wish to keep Bart, Good, Bratts and Vidosic. (I would have dispensed with the latter - IMO a disappointing season - but it's obvious that they have offered him terms to continue.)

I don't think we've  seen information from the club like this in previous seasons, certainly not in such detail. And I like that.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Metcalfe, Genreau and Ianucci good tie downs for next year. I had major concerns that someone would have seen enough of Metcalfe to offer him a role if we didn't.

If Metcalfe and Genreau are willing to stay on (I know both are technically contracted, but it's about wanting to be there) then I'll be pleased. Those two alone could be critical to our midfield. 

Ianucci I don't know much about but I'll take your word for it! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

If Metcalfe and Genreau are willing to stay on (I know both are technically contracted, but it's about wanting to be there) then I'll be pleased. Those two alone could be critical to our midfield. 

https://dailyfootballshow.com/the-kid-from-cobram-gianluca-iannucci-looking-to-make-his-mark-on-city/

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Maybe at last they are tightening up on contracts? I doubt that they would publicise a list of players if they knew that one or some did not wish to continue with the club.

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Ianucci got amongst the goals more last year than this one and does a lot of stuff like this (https://twitter.com/MelbCityYouth/status/1124569921625530369)  whenever he plays for the youth team.

I have never seen someone make more deft chips on a football field.

2 hours ago, Tommykins said:

Metcalfe, Genreau and Ianucci good tie downs for next year. I had major concerns that someone would have seen enough of Metcalfe to offer him a role if we didn't.

I'm pretty sure all three are contracted for one more year. Stupid to let them go  

Edited by AXIOM

16 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Contracted: Birighitti, Bouzanis, Jamieson, Delbridge, Atkinson, Griffiths, Baccus, Najjarine, Berenguer, Maclaren, Najjar, Metcalfe, Iannucci, Genreau, Wales, Galloway

Rumoured to leave: Brattan, Schenkeveld

Rumoured to join:

Well off a title with some of those players in the squad. Although Brattan and Schenkeveld would significantly bolster that

Well this makes for pretty bad reading although I’m not sure if DD knows what he’s talking about. 

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city-report-card-for-aleague-season-201819/news-story/8981e3022dbc5828e50534cbd65cb412

He says Janjetovic is coming and Brattan, Bart, Vidosic, Atkinson and Birighitti are going.

9 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Well this makes for pretty bad reading although I’m not sure if DD knows what he’s talking about. 

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city-report-card-for-aleague-season-201819/news-story/8981e3022dbc5828e50534cbd65cb412

He says Janjetovic is coming and Brattan, Bart, Vidosic, Atkinson and Birighitti are going.

Bouzanis > Janjetovic

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

The going category usually refers to those with a question mark over them or a rumour fwiw. Doesnt mean anything concrete.

You’d think he’d know something though. But he does put an actual question mark after the two categories so maybe he’s just recycling old rumours.

What’s strange is that his list is somewhat out of date. Don’t know why he didn’t update it before publishing.

8 minutes ago, Harrison said:

You’d think he’d know something though. But he does put an actual question mark after the two categories so maybe he’s just recycling old rumours.

What’s strange is that his list is somewhat out of date. Don’t know why he didn’t update it before publishing.

I dont tbh. I dont think he knows a hell of a lot when it comes to us tbh, to his chagrin, so its mostly hearsay and guesswork.

1 hour ago, neio said:

I reckon I'd just about vomit if Janjetovic came, people thought Bouzanis made too many silly errors. Vedran has a full highlight reel and that's just from this season 

This is worrying, another A league recycle and we let our yourth keeper walk out the door.

If he comes than he will become our starting goalkeeper, we have a habbit of benching the pair better keeper of the pair.

Sorenson - Bouzanis
Birrigiti - Galekovic
Bouzanis - Janketovic

Edited by Mr MO

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AXIOM said:

Could it be club and players are waiting for a coach to be appointed? 

Yeah maybe, but contracts end today. So I don’t think They could wait

well I suppose Contracts ending on May 31 is just speculation that has been around for a long time. For all we know it could be end of financial year which is when FFA conduct cap checks

Edited by Dylan

35 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Yeah maybe, but contracts end today. So I don’t think They could wait

well I suppose Contracts ending on May 31 is just speculation that has been around for a long time. For all we know it could be end of financial year which is when FFA conduct cap checks

Not speculation. Contracts for the A-League expire on 31st May. After today players without a contract for 2019-20 are free agents.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Not speculation. Contracts for the A-League expire on 31st May. After today players without a contract for 2019-20 are free agents.

Ok good to know. I thought it was one of those things that turn into facts after so many years

47 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Ok good to know. I thought it was one of those things that turn into facts after so many years

Only for the A-League though. If a club is still in the ACL, then they are contracted beyond today.

• jw1739 pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

image.png.afe899f3daa705a1f8be496f14a6ae98.png

This is where we are at the moment. Only Brattan from last season needs to be resolved, and there will be up to nine scholarship players. But clearly we need more up front, and I would think the remaining visa players ought to be forwards, even if they are "secondary strikers."

This thread has required an update almost every day for the past two weeks.

So at the moment we have the following 20 players signed to the senior squad for 2019/20:image.png.3498458a8fc437327775f14b7049eab4.png

So probably one more visa player to come in (Luna?) and a number of Scholarship players yet to be announced. IIRC we are ahead of where we've been in past seasons, and the squad looks pretty solid to me.

• Like 2

• jw1739 unpinned this topic