Melbourne Football

Squad 2019/2020

Harrison

Out of contract: Galekovic, Schenkeveld, Good, La Rocca, Vidosic, Brattan, Wales

Unknown contract status: Metcalfe, Berenguer

Contracted: Birighitti, Bouzanis, Jamieson, Delbridge, Atkinson, Griffiths, Baccus, Najjarine, Maclaren

--

Rumoured to leave: Atkinson, Brattan, Birighitti, Bouzanis, De Laet, Schenkeveld

Rumoured to join: Scott Galloway

Edited by Harrison

8 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Putting aside Joyce's situation, we will begin the annual squad turnover shortly...

Out of contract: Galekovic, De Laet, Schenkeveld, Good, La Rocca, McGree, Vidosic, Brattan, Harrison

Unknown contract status: Wales, Metcalfe, Berenguer

Contracted: Birighitti, Bouzanis, Jamieson, Delbridge, Atkinson, Griffiths, Baccus, Najjarine, Maclaren

--

Rumoured to leave: Atkinson, Birighitti, Bouzanis, De Laet, Schenkeveld, McGree

Rumoured to join: Kye Rowles, Scott Galloway

@Harrison Not official on Berenguer, but apparently he's here for another season. Metcalfe - unknown. Wales - out of contract. Denis Genreau under contract one more season.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Isn't Wales a 2 year deal? I'm sure that the case because that's why he moved here; CCM would only offer him one year.

@bt50 This was the announcement. https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/melbourne-city-sign-lachlan-wales-osama-malik-and-anthony-caceres

transfermarkt.co.uk has contract until 310/6/2019.

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/player-exodus-set-to-hit-city-524714

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/jamieson-it-definitely-hurt

Not sure where to put these but these two articles are interesting. The first article quotes a bit from the second.

The first article says Bart and Brattan will consider offers from Asia, Galekovic will consider retirement and De Laet and McGree are both heading back overseas. 

The second says we will see a number of changes to the roster in the next month. It also says that Jamieson thinks Metcalfe is 'special' and will stamp his authority on the league next season.

9 minutes ago, Harrison said:

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/player-exodus-set-to-hit-city-524714

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/jamieson-it-definitely-hurt

Not sure where to put these but these two articles are interesting. The first article quotes a bit from the second.

The first article says Bart and Brattan will consider offers from Asia, Galekovic will consider retirement and De Laet and McGree are both heading back overseas. 

The second says we will see a number of changes to the roster in the next month. It also says that Jamieson thinks Metcalfe is 'special' and will stamp his authority on the league next season.

Bart will be a huge loss if he goes. We would have to offer him marquee status if he is to stay. But (probably unpopular opinion) I wouldn't be overly fussed if Bratts called it a day with us. He's a good player, but so inconsistent that I rate him our most frustrating player.

As always, IMO our most pressing need is for a marquee no. 10 who can actually turn a game on its head for us. We're just too predictable without one.

Put the bulk of the salary cap into the starting XI and fill the squad with our up-and-coming youngsters. Recycled A-League journeyman players are the last thing we need.

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Put the bulk of the salary cap into the starting XI and fill the squad with our up-and-coming youngsters. Recycled A-League journeyman players are the last thing we need.

Now you are talking rubbish JW ;-)

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Bart will be a huge loss if he goes. We would have to offer him marquee status if he is to stay. But (probably unpopular opinion) I wouldn't be overly fussed if Bratts called it a day with us. He's a good player, but so inconsistent that I rate him our most frustrating player.

As always, IMO our most pressing need is for a marquee no. 10 who can actually turn a game on its head for us. We're just too predictable without one.

If I was Bart and had any further aspirations I wouldn't stay for one more second in the Aleague. He's too good for it. 

Secondly, I had to smirk at the suggestion of a marquee number 10 and laugh at the thought of a good one. 

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

If I was Bart and had any further aspirations I wouldn't stay for one more second in the Aleague. He's too good for it. 

Secondly, I had to smirk at the suggestion of a marquee number 10 and laugh at the thought of a good one. 

Barts gone and he can leave with his head held high. Did everything for this club.

If there are any players who will leave a legacy for how City players can represent the badge, he is it. He is the culture we want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

This season we had strong defensive line-up with Bart, RDL, Delbridge, Good. Galekovic was more than solid,. We had 2 defensive midfielders. We had high ball possession.  We had Socceroos and foreign attackers. We still could not finish high. Let's say with narrow clean sheet wins. On the whiteboard we were poised to do that.

Do we need to keep the same pattern ? Do we need a change of directions? 

We have a good defensive set up, we just need some creativity and scorers to make the team more balanced.

Goalies who knows what is going on there.

Hopefully we can retain Shenkenveld, then with Galloway coming, Atkinson, Good, RoboCop and Jamieson it's a pretty good backline.

Baccus is a screener, maybe get another in or look at youth.

Central midfield we have Genreau coming back, Metcalf showing a lot of promise and maybe Brattan.

Wingers there's Wales, Najjarine and Idrus, not a lot of experience but a lot of potential.

No10 we don't really have anyone.

Striker we have Maccas and Najjar.

We have the bone's of a good team.

• Like 1

Obviously the Shayon Harrison loan is a new thing, that is bringing in u23 UK players and as far as I'm aware this changed sometime this season. 

So with that in mind we could potentially bring in some fringe City players wanting 20 to 30 senior games and a year of life experience. Someone like maybe Foden was at the start of the season. Now Foden is obviously way above our level and would never happen but there must be 2 or 3 City players that could fit the win win scenario. 

Harrison was raw and had some good moments but was still a youth player finding his way but more of these type of loans would be what I think we could do.

Also they probably would be front 3rd/midfield types as young defensive players are super risky moves.

Ultimately we would need a proper coach before any happens. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Obviously the Shayon Harrison loan is a new thing, that is bringing in u23 UK players and as far as I'm aware this changed sometime this season. 

So with that in mind we could potentially bring in some fringe City players wanting 20 to 30 senior games and a year of life experience. Someone like maybe Foden was at the start of the season. Now Foden is obviously way above our level and would never happen but there must be 2 or 3 City players that could fit the win win scenario. 

Harrison was raw and had some good moments but was still a youth player finding his way but more of these type of loans would be what I think we could do.

Also they probably would be front 3rd/midfield types as young defensive players are super risky moves.

Ultimately we would need a proper coach before any happens. 

Yeh i think that was what we were trying to do with Harrison; get talented youngsters some first team football and make ourselves a genuine option for young loanees. We're a far more attractive proposition to fans when its one of Europe's budding stars vs a European journeyman. Part of the trick is making ourselves a viable option in the eyes of these youngsters, which only comes as more come down here and succeed in doing so.

Now i appreciate some people think its taking the place of our kids, but i disagree with that. If we weren't signing a Shay, we'd be signing a 30 something visa player instead. Ultimately our kids will be given the opportunity when theyre deemed ready, and the age profile of our visas are totally irrelevant when it comes to competition.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Now i appreciate some people think its taking the place of our kids, but i disagree with that. If we weren't signing a Shay, we'd be signing a 30 something visa player instead. Ultimately our kids will be given the opportunity when theyre deemed ready, and the age profile of our visas are totally irrelevant when it comes to competition.

This. Finally somone said it.

• Like 2

I don’t care how old they are, just as long as they’re better than our local players. 

That way, the team improves and so does the league. We need to keep improving the league and better foreigners lift the standard of play, which has a positive effect on our local players.

• Like 2

Thank goodness @bt50 has finally said it. I think this is what many of us thought would be the way when the takeover occurred, and IMO it would definitely resonate with City fans. The stumbling block is the rule on loanee wages, but there must be a way around it if we choose the right loanee(s).

Some on here will remember that a Manchester EDS player named James Horsfield spent six weeks or so at Bundoora, but he never played a game, presumably because of the wages issue. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Horsfield. He's not played a lot of football since.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Thank goodness @bt50 has finally said it. I think this is what many of us thought would be the way when the takeover occurred, and IMO it would definitely resonate with City fans. The stumbling block is the rule on loanee wages, but there must be a way around it if we choose the right loanee(s).

Some on here will remember that a Manchester EDS player named James Horsfield spent six weeks or so at Bundoora, but he never played a game, presumably because of the wages issue. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Horsfield. He's not played a lot of football since.

Interesting to hear what happened with James. Was rated pretty highly in the EDS (did he win any awards?). Obviously another younger player we've ruined /s

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Interesting, but just remember our best overseas player in the last 2 seasons was a deadly 30 year old overweight  Scotsman who scored for fun with 14 goals in 17 games.

Indeed, but thats a marquee player vs your standard 200k visa that's kicked around at Sochaux or Estudiantes. Apples and oranges.

12 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Wasn't Bruno initially a visa only?

Yes. He signed as a 27 year old though.

I get where you are trying to come from here, but i reckon if you ran an age profile of visas over the years, a large % would be 30 +. Given players in the 22-28 range are generally at their peak and command the highest wages, thats the main reason. The alternative is to look to the younger end of the pool.

Edited by bt50

5 hours ago, bt50 said:

Yeh i think that was what we were trying to do with Harrison; get talented youngsters some first team football and make ourselves a genuine option for young loanees. We're a far more attractive proposition to fans when its one of Europe's budding stars

I don’t mind the theory, but Harrison is not one of “Europe’s budding stars”. I wouldn’t even call him a talented youngster.

McGree, Wales, Atkinson, Genreau and Pierias are all younger than Harrison and I believe are they are already better footballers.

There is no point to signing visa players who are inferior to local players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Yes. He signed as a 27 year old though.

I get where you are trying to come from here, but i reckon if you ran an age profile of visas over the years, a large % would be 30 +. Given players in the 22-28 range are generally at their peak and command the highest wages, thats the main reason. The alternative is to look to the younger end of the pool.

That would be some very interesting data.

Amongst others Broich, Berisha, isaias, carrusca, adlung, bort, buijs, Fred, Hernandez, Keogh, Brandan, bonevacia, Cassio, Kurto, Henrique, Flores, van Dijk, Novillo and Germano all joined the league in their 20s.

4 hours ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

I don’t mind the theory, but Harrison is not one of “Europe’s budding stars”. I wouldn’t even call him a talented youngster.

McGree, Wales, Atkinson, Genreau and Pierias are all younger than Harrison and I believe are they are already better footballers.

There is no point to signing visa players who are inferior to local players.

McGree getting close but all those other sorry to say they're so far from Harrison in every aspect. Let alone even at his level. Beyond his level? You've got to be joking yeh

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Harrison said:

And so it begins...

De Laet, McGree and Harrison depart.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MelbourneCity/status/1126000377302638592

Well, a loan is a loan. No surprises there.

12 minutes ago, IssySG said:

No surprise there either.

I feel like maybe, with Joyce leaving and Eugene leaving, we can convince Birighitti to stay. There has been rumours he wants out for a while, but with Joyce and Eugene gone, this primes him to be our new number 1 under a new manager. Delianov and his 2nd and give Bouzanis another loan spell in Europe.

13 minutes ago, IssySG said:

I feel like maybe, with Joyce leaving and Eugene leaving, we can convince Birighitti to stay. There has been rumours he wants out for a while, but with Joyce and Eugene gone, this primes him to be our new number 1 under a new manager. Delianov and his 2nd and give Bouzanis another loan spell in Europe.

Delianov to Western United i am pretty sure. 

• jw1739 pinned this topic
  • jw1739 unpinned this topic