Jump to content
Melbourne Football
Sign in to follow this  
Harrison

Squad 2019/2020

Recommended Posts

Out of contract: Galekovic, Schenkeveld, Good, La Rocca, Vidosic, Brattan, Wales

Unknown contract status: Metcalfe, Berenguer

Contracted: Birighitti, Bouzanis, Jamieson, Delbridge, Atkinson, Griffiths, Baccus, Najjarine, Maclaren

--

Rumoured to leave: Atkinson, Brattan, Birighitti, Bouzanis, De Laet, Schenkeveld

Rumoured to join: Scott Galloway

Edited by Harrison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Putting aside Joyce's situation, we will begin the annual squad turnover shortly...

Out of contract: Galekovic, De Laet, Schenkeveld, Good, La Rocca, McGree, Vidosic, Brattan, Harrison

Unknown contract status: Wales, Metcalfe, Berenguer

Contracted: Birighitti, Bouzanis, Jamieson, Delbridge, Atkinson, Griffiths, Baccus, Najjarine, Maclaren

--

Rumoured to leave: Atkinson, Birighitti, Bouzanis, De Laet, Schenkeveld, McGree

Rumoured to join: Kye Rowles, Scott Galloway

@Harrison Not official on Berenguer, but apparently he's here for another season. Metcalfe - unknown. Wales - out of contract. Denis Genreau under contract one more season.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@Harrison Not official on Berenguer, but apparently he's here for another season. Metcalfe - unknown. Wales - out of contract. Denis Genreau under contract one more season.

Thanks.

Do we know Wales is OOC? Also, I haven't included any scholarship players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Thanks.

Do we know Wales is OOC? Also, I haven't included any scholarship players. 

@Harrison Wales was announced on club web-site 25th June 2018 according to my notes.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't Wales a 2 year deal? I'm sure that the case because that's why he moved here; CCM would only offer him one year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Isn't Wales a 2 year deal? I'm sure that the case because that's why he moved here; CCM would only offer him one year.

@bt50 This was the announcement. https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/melbourne-city-sign-lachlan-wales-osama-malik-and-anthony-caceres

transfermarkt.co.uk has contract until 310/6/2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/player-exodus-set-to-hit-city-524714

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/jamieson-it-definitely-hurt

Not sure where to put these but these two articles are interesting. The first article quotes a bit from the second.

The first article says Bart and Brattan will consider offers from Asia, Galekovic will consider retirement and De Laet and McGree are both heading back overseas. 

The second says we will see a number of changes to the roster in the next month. It also says that Jamieson thinks Metcalfe is 'special' and will stamp his authority on the league next season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Harrison said:

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/player-exodus-set-to-hit-city-524714

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/jamieson-it-definitely-hurt

Not sure where to put these but these two articles are interesting. The first article quotes a bit from the second.

The first article says Bart and Brattan will consider offers from Asia, Galekovic will consider retirement and De Laet and McGree are both heading back overseas. 

The second says we will see a number of changes to the roster in the next month. It also says that Jamieson thinks Metcalfe is 'special' and will stamp his authority on the league next season.

Bart will be a huge loss if he goes. We would have to offer him marquee status if he is to stay. But (probably unpopular opinion) I wouldn't be overly fussed if Bratts called it a day with us. He's a good player, but so inconsistent that I rate him our most frustrating player.

As always, IMO our most pressing need is for a marquee no. 10 who can actually turn a game on its head for us. We're just too predictable without one.

Put the bulk of the salary cap into the starting XI and fill the squad with our up-and-coming youngsters. Recycled A-League journeyman players are the last thing we need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Put the bulk of the salary cap into the starting XI and fill the squad with our up-and-coming youngsters. Recycled A-League journeyman players are the last thing we need.

Now you are talking rubbish JW ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Now you are talking rubbish JW ;-)

I know, not one mention of Centreback quotas, we're still a bit short in that department.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Bart will be a huge loss if he goes. We would have to offer him marquee status if he is to stay. But (probably unpopular opinion) I wouldn't be overly fussed if Bratts called it a day with us. He's a good player, but so inconsistent that I rate him our most frustrating player.

As always, IMO our most pressing need is for a marquee no. 10 who can actually turn a game on its head for us. We're just too predictable without one.

Put the bulk of the salary cap into the starting XI and fill the squad with our up-and-coming youngsters. Recycled A-League journeyman players are the last thing we need.

If I was Bart and had any further aspirations I wouldn't stay for one more second in the Aleague. He's too good for it. 

Secondly, I had to smirk at the suggestion of a marquee number 10 and laugh at the thought of a good one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, n i k o said:

If I was Bart and had any further aspirations I wouldn't stay for one more second in the Aleague. He's too good for it. 

Secondly, I had to smirk at the suggestion of a marquee number 10 and laugh at the thought of a good one. 

Barts gone and he can leave with his head held high. Did everything for this club.

If there are any players who will leave a legacy for how City players can represent the badge, he is it. He is the culture we want.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This season we had strong defensive line-up with Bart, RDL, Delbridge, Good. Galekovic was more than solid,. We had 2 defensive midfielders. We had high ball possession.  We had Socceroos and foreign attackers. We still could not finish high. Let's say with narrow clean sheet wins. On the whiteboard we were poised to do that.

Do we need to keep the same pattern ? Do we need a change of directions? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a good defensive set up, we just need some creativity and scorers to make the team more balanced.

Goalies who knows what is going on there.

Hopefully we can retain Shenkenveld, then with Galloway coming, Atkinson, Good, RoboCop and Jamieson it's a pretty good backline.

Baccus is a screener, maybe get another in or look at youth.

Central midfield we have Genreau coming back, Metcalf showing a lot of promise and maybe Brattan.

Wingers there's Wales, Najjarine and Idrus, not a lot of experience but a lot of potential.

No10 we don't really have anyone.

Striker we have Maccas and Najjar.

We have the bone's of a good team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With three more decent visa players and a shrewd manager who knows how to manage mature players...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously the Shayon Harrison loan is a new thing, that is bringing in u23 UK players and as far as I'm aware this changed sometime this season. 

So with that in mind we could potentially bring in some fringe City players wanting 20 to 30 senior games and a year of life experience. Someone like maybe Foden was at the start of the season. Now Foden is obviously way above our level and would never happen but there must be 2 or 3 City players that could fit the win win scenario. 

Harrison was raw and had some good moments but was still a youth player finding his way but more of these type of loans would be what I think we could do.

Also they probably would be front 3rd/midfield types as young defensive players are super risky moves.

Ultimately we would need a proper coach before any happens. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Obviously the Shayon Harrison loan is a new thing, that is bringing in u23 UK players and as far as I'm aware this changed sometime this season. 

So with that in mind we could potentially bring in some fringe City players wanting 20 to 30 senior games and a year of life experience. Someone like maybe Foden was at the start of the season. Now Foden is obviously way above our level and would never happen but there must be 2 or 3 City players that could fit the win win scenario. 

Harrison was raw and had some good moments but was still a youth player finding his way but more of these type of loans would be what I think we could do.

Also they probably would be front 3rd/midfield types as young defensive players are super risky moves.

Ultimately we would need a proper coach before any happens. 

Yeh i think that was what we were trying to do with Harrison; get talented youngsters some first team football and make ourselves a genuine option for young loanees. We're a far more attractive proposition to fans when its one of Europe's budding stars vs a European journeyman. Part of the trick is making ourselves a viable option in the eyes of these youngsters, which only comes as more come down here and succeed in doing so.

Now i appreciate some people think its taking the place of our kids, but i disagree with that. If we weren't signing a Shay, we'd be signing a 30 something visa player instead. Ultimately our kids will be given the opportunity when theyre deemed ready, and the age profile of our visas are totally irrelevant when it comes to competition.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Now i appreciate some people think its taking the place of our kids, but i disagree with that. If we weren't signing a Shay, we'd be signing a 30 something visa player instead. Ultimately our kids will be given the opportunity when theyre deemed ready, and the age profile of our visas are totally irrelevant when it comes to competition.

This. Finally somone said it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t care how old they are, just as long as they’re better than our local players. 

That way, the team improves and so does the league. We need to keep improving the league and better foreigners lift the standard of play, which has a positive effect on our local players.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank goodness @bt50 has finally said it. I think this is what many of us thought would be the way when the takeover occurred, and IMO it would definitely resonate with City fans. The stumbling block is the rule on loanee wages, but there must be a way around it if we choose the right loanee(s).

Some on here will remember that a Manchester EDS player named James Horsfield spent six weeks or so at Bundoora, but he never played a game, presumably because of the wages issue. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Horsfield. He's not played a lot of football since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Thank goodness @bt50 has finally said it. I think this is what many of us thought would be the way when the takeover occurred, and IMO it would definitely resonate with City fans. The stumbling block is the rule on loanee wages, but there must be a way around it if we choose the right loanee(s).

Some on here will remember that a Manchester EDS player named James Horsfield spent six weeks or so at Bundoora, but he never played a game, presumably because of the wages issue. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Horsfield. He's not played a lot of football since.

Interesting to hear what happened with James. Was rated pretty highly in the EDS (did he win any awards?). Obviously another younger player we've ruined /s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting, but just remember our best overseas player in the last 2 seasons was a deadly 30 year old overweight  Scotsman who scored for fun with 14 goals in 17 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Interesting, but just remember our best overseas player in the last 2 seasons was a deadly 30 year old overweight  Scotsman who scored for fun with 14 goals in 17 games.

Indeed, but thats a marquee player vs your standard 200k visa that's kicked around at Sochaux or Estudiantes. Apples and oranges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Indeed, but thats a marquee player vs your standard 200k visa that's kicked around at Sochaux or Estudiantes. Apples and oranges.

Wasn't Bruno initially a visa only?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Wasn't Bruno initially a visa only?

Yes. He signed as a 27 year old though.

I get where you are trying to come from here, but i reckon if you ran an age profile of visas over the years, a large % would be 30 +. Given players in the 22-28 range are generally at their peak and command the highest wages, thats the main reason. The alternative is to look to the younger end of the pool.

Edited by bt50

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bt50 said:

Yeh i think that was what we were trying to do with Harrison; get talented youngsters some first team football and make ourselves a genuine option for young loanees. We're a far more attractive proposition to fans when its one of Europe's budding stars

I don’t mind the theory, but Harrison is not one of “Europe’s budding stars”. I wouldn’t even call him a talented youngster.

McGree, Wales, Atkinson, Genreau and Pierias are all younger than Harrison and I believe are they are already better footballers.

There is no point to signing visa players who are inferior to local players.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Yes. He signed as a 27 year old though.

I get where you are trying to come from here, but i reckon if you ran an age profile of visas over the years, a large % would be 30 +. Given players in the 22-28 range are generally at their peak and command the highest wages, thats the main reason. The alternative is to look to the younger end of the pool.

That would be some very interesting data.

Amongst others Broich, Berisha, isaias, carrusca, adlung, bort, buijs, Fred, Hernandez, Keogh, Brandan, bonevacia, Cassio, Kurto, Henrique, Flores, van Dijk, Novillo and Germano all joined the league in their 20s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, playmaker said:

Interesting, but just remember our best overseas player in the last 2 seasons was a deadly 30 year old overweight  Scotsman who scored for fun with 14 goals in 17 games.

I loved the fat Scottish bastard. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fensaddler said:

I loved the fat Scottish bastard. 

Me too, an absolute master of the dead ball and I would say close to the best ever in the A-league.

Just beautiful to watch.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Me too, an absolute master of the dead ball and I would say close to the best ever in the A-league.

Just beautiful to watch.

That fifth goal against Adelaide last season... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

I don’t mind the theory, but Harrison is not one of “Europe’s budding stars”. I wouldn’t even call him a talented youngster.

McGree, Wales, Atkinson, Genreau and Pierias are all younger than Harrison and I believe are they are already better footballers.

There is no point to signing visa players who are inferior to local players.

McGree getting close but all those other sorry to say they're so far from Harrison in every aspect. Let alone even at his level. Beyond his level? You've got to be joking yeh

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Harrison said:

And so it begins...

De Laet, McGree and Harrison depart.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MelbourneCity/status/1126000377302638592

Well, a loan is a loan. No surprises there.

12 minutes ago, IssySG said:

No surprise there either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like maybe, with Joyce leaving and Eugene leaving, we can convince Birighitti to stay. There has been rumours he wants out for a while, but with Joyce and Eugene gone, this primes him to be our new number 1 under a new manager. Delianov and his 2nd and give Bouzanis another loan spell in Europe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, IssySG said:

I feel like maybe, with Joyce leaving and Eugene leaving, we can convince Birighitti to stay. There has been rumours he wants out for a while, but with Joyce and Eugene gone, this primes him to be our new number 1 under a new manager. Delianov and his 2nd and give Bouzanis another loan spell in Europe.

Delianov to Western United i am pretty sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...