Melbourne Football

2018/19 End Of Season Player Review

neio

Obviously very tough season, and playing finals was more cause we were less shit than we were better than the ones who didn't, so here is my player review for every squad member. And what I would do with them (if contracts didnt matter etc) 

#1 MARK BIRIGHITTI - F

Whether you thought he should have played more or not, we can't escape the fact that he was brought to the club and played a total of 0 minutes. Will probably leave the club to be a number 1 elsewhere in A league 

#2 RITCHIE DELAET - B+

Joint golden boot winnner and played in just about every position on the pitch and performed pretty well in most of them. Would I have him back, yes. Would I have him back as marquee again, probably not

#3 SCOTT JAMIESON - D

Can't question his passion or endeavour but on too many occasions he just sucked this season, his crossing was horrible and even as captain wasn't chosen in the final when we had no one else in his position. Probably stays as he is a capable player but needs more competition for his spot

#4 HARRISON DELBRIDGE - A

Easily our most improved player and I'd argue is in the top 3 aussie CB in the league now. Went from being an absolute liability to someone who was sorely missed when he wasn't there, my only criticism of him is that he picks up some needless cards. For mine 100% stays, although another improved season and Asian clubs who love big aussie CB will come calling 

#5 BART SCHENKEVELD - A

Where would we be without Bart, finally is getting recognised by the media and other fans as the number 1 defender in the league. Keep him at all costs, he cannot go to another aleague team 

#7 ROSTYN GRIFFITHS - C

Marked him as a C as he didn't do anything super well, but he didn't do anything poor either. Some games he was really commanding in the middle of park and you can tell he has leadership qualities, but then other games he gave away stupid free kicks or penalties and looked like he would get sent off at any stage. Not overly fazed if he stays or goes 

#8 RILEY MCGREE - C

Joint golden boot winner, but a few of those goals came in last 2 games. Was really excited when he signed for us and thought he would be a vital member of side, but he was slightly disappointing I thought, spent large amounts of time on the bench. Has been recalled by Brugge but I don't think he has the quality for Europe 

#9 SHAYON HARRISON - B+

Can argue that he shouldn't have been here and an aussie kid could do the job etc, but he scored 4 goals (5 if you include the Sydney own goal) in 10 games. He did his job pretty well in a team that couldn't move the ball forwards. Will go back to spurs now, but who knows what his future holds. Would probably take again of he wanted a full season here 

#10 DARIO VIDOSIC - F

Most disappointing player for mine, expected him to be a starter most weeks and be a goal threat. He was none of that, I think alot of us forgot about him until he started that round 27 game. I'd expect to be released or told to look for a new club

#13 NATHANIEL ATKINSON - C-

Many will say he took a step back this season, and whilst he probably did I don't completely blame him. Joyce fucked around with him more than anyone else. There was games he started in midfield, then would go to right wing, then switch to left and then end up back at right back. He couldn't do it, once they kept him at right back he was much better. I'd be comfortable if he got first crack at starting RB next season 

#15 KEARYN BACCUS - B

Came under some criticism by some people, but I think he was a pretty solid signing. He doesn't have the expansive passing range of some, but he is very tidy on the ball and he a hard worker in defence, can't think of too many midfiders who tore us apart this season. Has some areas he can improve on obviously but I imagine will be a starting 11 player next season 

#18 EUGENE GALEKOVIC - B-

Started 27 of 28 games and in some games was like a wall, but I can't escape the fact that he made a mistake in most games that cost us a goal and points. How he won player of season is beyond me, he had a solid season not a great season. Really think we should tell him to retire as we need to move past Eugene, regardless of how great a keeper he has been

#19 LACHIE WALES - C

One of the hardest to judge, as in most games he showed a flash of something but for large chunks of games he did nothing. He is definitely worth persisting with and I think he has talent but he needs more consistency 

#21 RAMY NAJJARINE - D

Wasn't given massive opportunity but when we was I didn't think he showed a hell of alot to be honest, I don't know if I was expecting more cause of the comparison that some people game with Arzani or what. Obviously he is highly rated by people who know more than me, so hopefully we see more of him 

#22 CURTIS GOOD - C

Good was another one who was nothing special but also not really bad either, just a solid performer. I thought when he started we actually went backwards but that was more cause of Bart and Delbo combo breaking up, not entirely his fault. Apparently wants to go back to Europe, but I can't see it happening, good 3rd CB option 

#25 IACOPO LA ROCCA - C-

Not a huge amount of game and was a depth player. Larocca is a player who is good or absolutely horrific, there is absolutely no in between. I'd imagine will be released 

#26 LUKE BRATTAN - B+

Easily our bets midfielder, has some quality with passing and is our leading tackler, and has that little bit of C about him. Starting scoring a little more as well which is obviously helpful. Absolutely no idea if he will be back or what next season, he is one I can't see taking another season of Joyce 

#27 FLORIN BERENGUER - E-

28 games in a season and he played 1 really good one, and that was in a game we scored 5 in. Don't know if he was homesick or what, but as a attacking minded player he scored 0 goals and didn't really look like scoring. I'd release him straight away but he has another season on contract 

#29 JAMIE MACLAREN - A-

Was almost our leading scorer with playing only a third of the games, he has the quality to dominate this league and just needs more service and a better style. Happily having him leading the line next season 

I havnt given players with Metcalfe, Najjar and Delianov etc a rating as we didn't see enough of them

So I personally use a rating if C as average, anything above that is above average and anything below is obviously below. Out of 19 players I've rated 11 as either average or below average, and 2 of the higher rating guys came into the club at end of January. Probably shows why we got knocked out first week of finals 

42 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

Rubish.  If Birra didn't play then he's unmarked, 

If Birighitti gets a rating, so must Delianov, Metcalfe and Abdulahi because they actually played.

Also I question some of your ratings. For example, Shayon Harrison - 10 matches, 4 goals, 1 assist. Jamie Maclaren 8 appearances, 5 goals including 2 penalties. I'd be rating them the same.

IMO we actually ended up, after all the departures, with a quite ordinary squad, and it showed in the results and our ultimate ordinary league position. IMO it's a pity we didn't finish 7th, when we would have had a better chance of seeing the back of Joyce and had a clean-out of some very ordinary players.

TBH I wouldn't be rating any player because how could any player show their potential in a sad, incompetent, sterile system of play that Wazza unleashed on the poor players and supporters.

Wazza changed the culture alright to the point where every player was shackled with no possibility of creativity, taking the game on, or showing any flair or individuality.

Just look at the player's he ostracized and forced out; Bruno, O'Halloran, Brandan, Caceras, just to name a few.

He single handedly destroyed the moralle of the club with the Bruno and O'Halloran debarkle and we were never going to see the full potential of any player on the pitch.

Therefore I will refuse to assess the performance of any player this season and the only thing that can be said is that I have empathy for what they had to go through and if I was part of the CFG or MCFC administration I would be saying sorry for everything they had to endure due to the incompetence of the manager, CEO and player recruitment staff.

Well done to all the players and good luck in your future endeavours.

MacLaren is a C for me. Half his goals were pens and went missing for the last 4 games. 

Id give Jamo a C. He was relatively solid defensively but horrid going forward.

I'd give Delbridge an A-. Huge improver, played well but should never ever for the rest of his career lift the ball off the ground to pass. Ever.

Bacchus started as a B but I reckon he's more of a B- ( not considering last night)

Frenchy is an E for sure and that's being generous. 

Dario I'd give a D. He was exactly what I think he should be, a squad player. Nothing more. Don't think he should be judged on more. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

If Birighitti gets a rating, so must Delianov, Metcalfe and Abdulahi because they actually played.

Also I question some of your ratings. For example, Shayon Harrison - 10 matches, 4 goals, 1 assist. Jamie Maclaren 8 appearances, 5 goals including 2 penalties. I'd be rating them the same.

IMO we actually ended up, after all the departures, with a quite ordinary squad, and it showed in the results and our ultimate ordinary league position. IMO it's a pity we didn't finish 7th, when we would have had a better chance of seeing the back of Joyce and had a clean-out of some very ordinary players.

Birighitti got a rating as he was a senior member of the squad and came in on what I'd imagine to be good coin. We all expected him to be number 1 and he wasn't, it was a complete fail

I also didn't rate the few kids we had as how can you, for example does Delianov get an a+ as he kept a clean sheet in his only game? 

On 06/05/2019 at 11:45 AM, n i k o said:

MacLaren is a C for me. Half his goals were pens and went missing for the last 4 games. 

Id give Jamo a C. He was relatively solid defensively but horrid going forward.

I'd give Delbridge an A-. Huge improver, played well but should never ever for the rest of his career lift the ball off the ground to pass. Ever.

Bacchus started as a B but I reckon he's more of a B- ( not considering last night)

Frenchy is an E for sure and that's being generous. 

Dario I'd give a D. He was exactly what I think he should be, a squad player. Nothing more. Don't think he should be judged on more. 

More or less with you on this. My ratings, based on home matches only:
Birighitti: n/a
De Laet: B
Jamieson: C
Delbridge: A
Schenkeveld: A
Griffiths: D
McGree: B
Harrison: C+
Vidosic: D
Atkinson: C+
Baccus: C
Galekovic: C
Wales: B
Najjarine: B
Good: C
La Rocca: D
Brattan: C
Berenguer: D
Maclaren: C+

Mark Birighitti - Nothing to be judged on as he didn't play.

Galekovic - Had some blinders, but also made some mistakes, average.

Ritchie DeLaet - provided a bit of quality and was one of our better players, above average.

Atkinson - Showing a lot of promise, had a bit of a bad patch, after playing with the national team he came back much improved and since has put in good performances. Average, though improving.

Bart - Best defender in the league, very good and has been a good influence on Atkinson.

Delbridge - most improved player and has done pretty well as a makeshift fullback (has actually performed better than Jamieson. Very good.

Jamieson - went a bit backwards this season, maybe he felt the weight of the captaincy. Below average.

Pierias - Played one game and looked good, two footed and likes to get forward, unhappy he is leaving. Good luck to him.

Good - Before this season he hadn't played in a long time, he defended pretty well although some decision making and passes were a bit off. Average, but I can see him improving with game time, as he is just getting back into the groove of things.

La Rocca - probably time to hang the boots up, though he has had it tough which didn't make things any easier for him. Below average.

Griffiths - At times showed some real quality, he was either good or bad and not much between, whilst with limited game time seemed to attract cards. Below average.

Baccus - is really good at intercepts, poor passer, but did start to improve his forward game in the last few matches (final game aside).

Brattan - Showed a lot of aggression this season, had a fall out with Joyce, did some nice switch passes and scored a peach of a goal (I wish he had a crack more often, but probably down to coaching, because he looks capable outside the box). Above average, because even with his fallout, he did some good things.

McGree - Hard to judge, he was played out of position so much and looked frustrated and stifled by Joyce. Started showing his class when playing in his preferred position and was given a bit more freedom. Average, but should have and could have been much better.

Metcalf - He got hardly any game time, but when he was on, he was on. He looks like an intelligent player for his age and I hope we see more of him and his calm disposition.

Florin - didn't do much and struggled to get past his man, though if he was played out of position it would have made things harder as he tried to adjust to the competition as well. Below average, didn't do anything to suggest signing him as a foreigner next season.

Vidisic - showed patches of quality, a stop start season in a variety of positions didn't help either, he was largely disappointing though. Below average.

Harrison - came in at a tough time and did fairly well, coming up with a few tricks. I really have something against players who can only use one foot, it limits them and makes it far easier to defend against. Average, for a foreigner.

Najjarine - When he first got game time he looked bang average, maybe playing within himself after his injury. Because when he got his second chance, he started to turn it on and looks like he can score. Average, but the latter part of the season he looks like a great prospect.

Idrus - Special note because Najjarine's goal and the lead up was the best this season. He didn't harm his stake for game time at all, showing he has some skills. Above average, though only one game against a weak side.

Wales - He grew on me the more he played, then I watched him play for the national team and he was doing tricks and doing some good things. So even though he got a lot of game time with Joyce, he wasn't the right coach to bring the best out of him. Average, but shows a lot of promise.

Maccas - Made a huge difference when he came, he didn't suit Wazza's game plan and went missing a bit. Average, hopefully he will have a good time next season, he has the quality, he just needs the right service.

All that said, anyone from midfield to the forward line had it hard with Joyce, and the back line struggled because of it as well. So my review comes with the caveat, that Wazza made a mess of things, so a pinch of salt is needed.

Edited by moops
  • Like 1