Melbourne Football

Suggested changes for 2019/2020 (offfield)

TheStig

Hi everyone

With the Western United juggernaut about to descend upon Melbourne and City bowing out of the finals at an early stage again. I'd like to suggest some changes that would help preserve a disenchanted membership.

These have been suggested previously but our results tonight and introduction of the new team necessitate restating them.

First and foremost Melbourne City needs to put as its top priority the membership experience. I recognise that City management have had various initiatives to attract new members but clearly they have failed. We are going backwards. The reason for the failure is that GA members are shunted to the end of the ground which is the worst place to watch a game.    

It would be quite understandable for members out west if they looked at Western United and concluded that seating at Geelong or the new stadium was going to give them a better match day experience from a viewing perspective.

I think City management needs to fire the first shot across the bows of United, and to a lesser extent Victory, by opening up the the top stand, Richmond side,  to General Admission and offering a discount for this first year. That offer would be made now, before Western United have a chance to sign new members, and only for a limited time (say a 4 week window). What I'm thinking is a $100 general admission membership to all games with a reserved seat in the top stand, Richmond side. Yes that will cost a  bit in various ways but will be offset by the fact that it will retain membership in this first year of United's presence and demonstrate a commitment by the club to its long suffering supporters. 

Further any special free ticket promotions run through the year should provide access to unsold ares in the top stand so that new members get a great experience on their first visit.

To some extent this can be part funded by a promotion with a corporate sponsor eg Testra thanks, and/or Foxtel who would benefit by showing more fans at City games in their tv coverage rather than empty seats.

Even if you think Joyce is terrible and we have no hope it is very hard to turn down a season membership for $100 with a great view of the game. It might even tempt some Victory supporters. Further once City supporters have bought their memberships they will be less likely to get a United membership.

cheers The Stig 

14 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Hi everyone

With the Western United juggernaut about to descend upon Melbourne and City bowing out of the finals at an early stage again. I'd like to suggest some changes that would help preserve a disenchanted membership.

These have been suggested previously but our results tonight and introduction of the new team necessitate restating them.

First and foremost Melbourne City needs to put as its top priority the membership experience. I recognise that City management have had various initiatives to attract new members but clearly they have failed. We are going backwards. The reason for the failure is that GA members are shunted to the end of the ground which is the worst place to watch a game.    

It would be quite understandable for members out west if they looked at Western United and concluded that seating at Geelong or the new stadium was going to give them a better match day experience from a viewing perspective.

I think City management needs to fire the first shot across the bows of United, and to a lesser extent Victory, by opening up the the top stand, Richmond side,  to General Admission and offering a discount for this first year. That offer would be made now, before Western United have a chance to sign new members, and only for a limited time (say a 4 week window). What I'm thinking is a $100 general admission membership to all games with a reserved seat in the top stand, Richmond side. Yes that will cost a  bit in various ways but will be offset by the fact that it will retain membership in this first year of United's presence and demonstrate a commitment by the club to its long suffering supporters. 

Further any special free ticket promotions run through the year should provide access to unsold ares in the top stand so that new members get a great experience on their first visit.

To some extent this can be part funded by a promotion with a corporate sponsor eg Testra thanks, and/or Foxtel who would benefit by showing more fans at City games in their tv coverage rather than empty seats.

Even if you think Joyce is terrible and we have no hope it is very hard to turn down a season membership for $100 with a great view of the game. It might even tempt some Victory supporters. Further once City supporters have bought their memberships they will be less likely to get a United membership.

cheers The Stig 

Your opinion. Many of us choose and prefer the ends of the ground as being the best place to watch. We have much bigger issues. This is rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Hi everyone

cheers The Stig 

Not bad thinking but AAMI cannot open top stand legally with small capacity crowd due to ratio of security and personell to viewers. It is not viable, and will not happen until we crack 12 thousand consistently turning up.

8 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Your opinion. Many of us choose and prefer the ends of the ground as being the best place to watch. We have much bigger issues. This is rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. 

Quite so. "Membership experience" is just the sort of corporate management buzzshit that has brought us to this point. Even if I know what it meant and even if I believed it could be measured, it is a trailing indicator. What counts for a football club is what happens on the field. Everything else follows.

• Like 1

Going to take a lot more incentive than $100 memberships for me to sign up again under Joyce, especially as I have no intention of attending an actual match.

The first step is to remove him, but so much damage has been done it will be a long road back after that. I feel the club is now behind where it started 10 years ago.

Frankly it’s quite possible that the situation is terminal and given the powers that be seem blissfully unaware of this, increases the likelihood.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1

My brother took his son to MCFC on Sunday for a training camp. He spoke with a guy within the club and he said they are worried when the new Melbourne team come in. He couldn't say much but he said the Bruno saga was all politics and said that's what happens when you don't listen to the coach.

2 hours ago, Tony999 said:

that's what happens when you don't listen to the coach.

No, that's what happens when you treat the best striker in the league like a youth player.

A lot more players should have told Wazza to fuck off and mutinied again the insipid clown, the problem was they didn't or Wazza would have been gone by January.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

No, that's what happens when you treat the best striker in the league like a youth player.

A lot more players should have told Wazza to fuck off and mutinied again the insipid clown, the problem was they didn't or Wazza would have been gone by January.

Mate. No professional would even consider that.

If a club replaced a coach because of the players then that's an even worse situation than just a shit coach.

We have a completely fucked set up. Joyce is just the tip of iceberg. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jovan said:

If a club replaced a coach because of the players then that's an even worse situation than just a shit coach.

We have a completely fucked set up. Joyce is just the tip of iceberg. 

Yes, he's what we call the "presenting problem." The fundamental problem, usually known as the "root cause", lies deeper into the organisation. It's well known that people very frequently address the "presenting problem", because that's the one they can see. Unfortunately, if the root cause still remains then the presenting problem will reoccur.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Under normal circumstances I would totally agree with you, however Wazza wasn't even close to normal but more akin to a destructive madman.

In this situation I would not have blamed the players for a revolt against the manager.

Winning by playing attractive football as Bella points out is the key . Excluding finals we are 88-62-96. There have been large patches of uninspiring or negative football in our history that have turned many fans away. In only two seasons have we mustered 13 wins in a season, remembering that every season consists of 27+ regular season matches. From the early days where we attempted to brand ourselves as an innovative, premium football club these results are totally deflating. Management both on and off the pitch has been well below expectations and the club needs to be contrite in their assessment moving forward, otherwise there's more mediocrity to come.

28 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Can the usual off season nutters who join the forum do it earlier this year so there is more time to berate them please?

I think the off season nutters are actually multi's of the general in season nutters.

On 06/05/2019 at 9:48 AM, Heart of Melbourne said:

1) Sack Joyce 

2) Sign Frank Ribery 

3) the rest will take care of it’s self. 

Ok 1 has now been done.

Has anyone got Mourinho's telephone number?

On 05/05/2019 at 11:07 PM, JMSTEP123 said:

Not bad thinking but AAMI cannot open top stand legally with small capacity crowd due to ratio of security and personell to viewers. It is not viable, and will not happen until we crack 12 thousand consistently turning up.

Why would it be illegal? It might necessitate paying some extra staff and security but that is about all.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Would we be happy if we somehow could convince management to add red socks to our home kit to show our heritage, link to the Melbourne emblem cross and more importantly respect the fans?

Certainly the "gang" that I sit with (9 people when all of us present) think that's the gesture that's needed. It's been repeatedly suggested to the membership section at the club over the past season.

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Certainly the "gang" that I sit with (9 people when all of us present) think that's the gesture that's needed. It's been repeatedly suggested to the membership section at the club over the past season.

How do we get started with this?

Call and email the new CEO for a survey/vote? If it falls upon deaf ears start a petition ourselves.

Start with a vote here on the forum, travelling fans and Talking City Facebook pages? We will need some help from all the moderators across the boards.

Edited by Mr MO

19 hours ago, TheStig said:

Why would it be illegal? It might necessitate paying some extra staff and security but that is about all.

If you throw that extra money towards reducing the ticket prices than we fill the lower ring first. 

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

How do we get started with this?

Call and email the new CEO for a survey/vote? If it falls upon deaf ears start a petition ourselves.

Start with a vote here on the forum, travelling fans and Talking City Facebook pages? We will need some help from all the moderators across the boards.

One of the "gang" I refer to (and it's not me) writes to the membership guy at Bundoora (Ryan?) after every home match with some comments "The View from the Stands" and met with Ryan? at AAMI Park before the Central Coast match. He's also written a 5-part piece entitled "The Rise and Fall of Melbourne Heart." He's a mature-aged person, Foundation member of Heart, a lifetime of being a football spectator previously in Manchester and district, and not someone just having a whinge. He's made the "red socks" suggestion a feature of his communications with the club.

Every survey I do that has a "comments" opportunity I add this suggestion. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

One of the "gang" I refer to (and it's not me) writes to the membership guy at Bundoora (Ryan?) after every home match with some comments "The View from the Stands" and met with Ryan? at AAMI Park before the Central Coast match. He's also written a 5-part piece entitled "The Rise and Fall of Melbourne Heart." He's a mature-aged person, Foundation member of Heart, a lifetime of being a football spectator previously in Manchester and district, and not someone just having a whinge. He's made the "red socks" suggestion a feature of his communications with the club.

Maybe we should stop suggestion it as individuals as it’s being ignored and go public with a petition? 

Maybe ask your mate to ask Ryan how to go about it? 

Edited by Mr MO

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Red socks ain't happening. If it was going to happen it would have by now. Getting yourself in a tizz and using the red socks idea as a solution to all the clubs problems is borderline insanity.

I'd happily watch us play in poo brown if it meant we'd get the overseas recruitment right for once. 

37 minutes ago, Bob Latchford said:

Red socks ain't happening. If it was going to happen it would have by now. Getting yourself in a tizz and using the red socks idea as a solution to all the clubs problems is borderline insanity.

I'd happily watch us play in poo brown if it meant we'd get the overseas recruitment right for once. 

Thanks for that. I don't think the suggestion was put forward as "a solution to all the club's problems." Neither do I think anyone's "in a tizz" about it. It's a suggestion put forward as a way to show a connection between the "then" and "now", recognising that quite a few supporters started out with Heart rather than City. "Borderline insanity" is rather harsh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Would we be happy if we somehow could convince management to add red socks to our home kit to show our heritage, link to the Melbourne emblem cross and more importantly respect the fans?

Or maybe the keeper could wear the red and white strip for all home games?

• Sad 1