Melbourne Football

Suggested changes for 2019/2020 (offfield)

TheStig

2 hours ago, Bob Latchford said:

Red socks ain't happening. If it was going to happen it would have by now. Getting yourself in a tizz and using the red socks idea as a solution to all the clubs problems is borderline insanity. 

Why wouldn’t it happen? I don’t think we have ever made a public request for change. Call it insanity but red is part of our identity. Where is it suggested that red socks solve all our problems?

Changes like this are appreciated and raise the level of a community club. Ignoring small changes like you stated is exactly what people dislike about this regime.

Edited by Mr MO

20 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

... its gonna be a long, long off season ...

Early days but I'm feeling pretty good about it TBH. Our season may have finished, but the club seems to have been very well prepared, both in terms of Warren Joyce, which players to go, and which they would like to keep. We've seen some membership seating changes. In the past I've always felt we've lagged behind other clubs in preparedness, but I'm getting positive vibes this time around.

• Thanks 1

It highly likely you dont have to convince the Melb based admins. Its the Manchester people that you would have to get it through.

Although, my little conspiracy theory is that the main resistance to having red on the kit is from Nike. Lets see if Puma is more open to custom stuff

Makes sense to have red on the shirts - part of our history and our emblem.  One red and one white stripe on the sky blue and red white socks would look great.  If they want improved supporter engagement, especially with the new melb club coming in.

Edited by Rasputin

44 minutes ago, Dylan said:

It highly likely you dont have to convince the Melb based admins. Its the Manchester people that you would have to get it through.

Although, my little conspiracy theory is that the main resistance to having red on the kit is from Nike. Lets see if Puma is more open to custom stuff

Enlighten us with your conspiracy? Why would Nike care if the shorts or socks are red.

25 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Enlighten us with your conspiracy? Why would Nike care if the shorts or socks are red.

Nike are notoriously terrible at allowing custom kits. They usually just send clubs a standard template and don’t allow changes.

and since we are just some backwater club that won’t make them any money because we don’t have supporters lol...

i wouldn’t be surprised that the Decision makers at Nike just sent over a couple of samples of what they think the club colours are and said pick one out of these and that’s it

I think the club using red and white in our away kit is enough for me. I don't think they owe us more than that. Plus deep down, if you think about it, red socks with a white and pale blue kit would look awful. #ColgateArmy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IssySG said:

I think the club using red and white in our away kit is enough for me. I don't think they owe us more than that. Plus deep down, if you think about it, red socks with a white and pale blue kit would look awful. #ColgateArmy

They owe me. Just get rid of the bloody mini Manchester sky blue. If anything looks awful, it's that... 

• Like 1

On 08/05/2019 at 4:12 PM, TheStig said:

Ok 1 has now been done.

Has anyone got Mourinho's telephone number?

Why would it be illegal? It might necessitate paying some extra staff and security but that is about all.

Because it is VicPol who charge AAMI based on visitor/securitt ratios. When you exceed a threshold your management policies have to exponentially grow to meet the demands of a higher intensity crowd. I do not understand all the ins and outs, but my mate who runs the AAMI management and security ops for NRL explained it to me in this way.

1. Sign some big name marquee players. Legitimately big name players.

2. Let some of the exciting young players play - metcalfe, najjarine

3. Work with puma to produce some genuinely good kits, keeping the red and white.

2 hours ago, Hanz said:

1. Sign some big name marquee players. Legitimately big name players.

2. Let some of the exciting young players play - metcalfe, najjarine

3. Work with puma to produce some genuinely good kits, keeping the red and white.

4. Cure cancer

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Because it is VicPol who charge AAMI based on visitor/securitt ratios. When you exceed a threshold your management policies have to exponentially grow to meet the demands of a higher intensity crowd. I do not understand all the ins and outs, but my mate who runs the AAMI management and security ops for NRL explained it to me in this way.

Still doesn't make it illegal....

How do you fix Melbourne City?

By Ben McKay May 8 2019 1:23PM

After a fifth-placed A-League finish, coach Warren Joyce has been sent packing by Melbourne City.

WHAT'S NEXT FOR MELBOURNE CITY?

Warren Joyce's departure as Melbourne City leaves the A-League club at a crossroads, still yet to fulfil its potential despite a multi-million dollar investment from City Football Group (CFG).

Joyce was just the third full-time coach of the club - after two-time boss John van 't Schip and John Aloisi - and leaves after third-place and fifth-place finishes in his two seasons.

CFG will now undertake a review into Joyce's time in charge and search for his successor.

Here are five steps the club can take this off-season to ensure they aren't left on the A-League roadside by established powers and ambitious entry Western United.

* SURE UP THE STARS

There have been no better performers for City over Joyce's two seasons than Bart Schenkeveld in central defence and Luke Brattan in the middle of midfield. Both are out of contract and both should be re-signed, if their minds aren't already made up to leave.

* APPOINT A WINNER

More important than agonising over a foreign or local boss, CFG must pick a proven trophy-winner. Joyce's expertise was in developing young players, and he did that well at City - particularly with Daniel Arzani. But it's time for the club to prioritise a title; so pick someone who's done it before.

* FIND AN IDENTITY

The entry of Western United next season threatens City's already tiny fanbase. The club must stand for something and, luckily, the solution is in house. OK, there's a difference in quality, but if Pep Guardiola's Manchester City plays exciting one-touch football, why does Melbourne City move the ball so glacially? Attacking football is in the club's DNA; let's see it.

* BRING OUT A STAR

No ifs, no buts. CFG has placed David Villa, Frank Lampard, Andrea Pirlo and Patrick Vieira at New York City FC. Melbourne City have made do with Marcin Budzinski and Ritchie De Laet as marquees this season. If they are fair dinkum about the A-League, it's time for a name to light up the competition and bring the fans back.

* BACK THE RIGHT KIDS

City have a fine record at blooding youngsters - in Joyce's two seasons he debuted 11 players aged 21 or under. So why is Ramy Najjarine stuck behind average French import Florin Berenguer? Najjarine must play next season, with Connor Metcalfe and others that show they're ready.

On 09/05/2019 at 7:12 PM, JMSTEP123 said:

So if i get your explanation right CFC don't want bigger crowds because they would have to pay the Police and Security more? 

Doesn't make sense.

If there is some contractual reason why it would be more expensive to open the eastern top stand then MCFC need to renegotiate their lease agreement and walk if necessary. 

If you were running an airline you wouldn't fly with half your seats empty, and the best seats at that.

Has noone at MCFC any cost accounting experience?

cheers TheStig

5 hours ago, TheStig said:

So if i get your explanation right CFC don't want bigger crowds because they would have to pay the Police and Security more? 

Doesn't make sense.

If there is some contractual reason why it would be more expensive to open the eastern top stand then MCFC need to renegotiate their lease agreement and walk if necessary. 

If you were running an airline you wouldn't fly with half your seats empty, and the best seats at that.

Has noone at MCFC any cost accounting experience?

cheers TheStig

Its a chicken and egg situation. The total capacity for teh stadium is 30,500 with the top deck seating ~10,000 and the lower deck about ~20,000.

Given that about 6,000 people turn up to watch City then that is about 30% of the capacity of the lower decks. If you opened the top deck, then that would fall to about 20%. So given the extra security costs, even if they were not exponential but linear, the same 6000 people would have to pay for the security.

So the expectations are that once the team can regularly attract 18,000+ to the game you would open the top deck.

Otherwise the assumption is that if we  opened the top deck all of a sudden 20,000+ people would have shown up to watch what Joyce was dishing up.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Its a chicken and egg situation. The total capacity for teh stadium is 30,500 with the top deck seating ~10,000 and the lower deck about ~20,000.

Given that about 6,000 people turn up to watch City then that is about 30% of the capacity of the lower decks. If you opened the top deck, then that would fall to about 20%. So given the extra security costs, even if they were not exponential but linear, the same 6000 people would have to pay for the security.

So the expectations are that once the team can regularly attract 18,000+ to the game you would open the top deck.

Otherwise the assumption is that if we  opened the top deck all of a sudden 20,000+ people would have shown up to watch what Joyce was dishing up.

Spot on. @TheStig my comment was never about CFG. They would be stoked if we sold out AAMI every week I am sure.

As @NewConvert said so well, due to minimal crowds and expected crowds well below threshold they can go with limited costings for security.

Above the threshold also necessitatss riot police as you see at the Derby. These are extra security outside pre and post game that cost significantly more money than the standard non VicPol security we see on a general basis.

Let me stress it is not CFG paying for security. It is a legal requirement for AAMI hosting events as built into their crowd control management plan. Of this CFG would contribute a small amount.

They will only open top tier when they know they have the numbers that exceed the threshold that allow them to make money and still work within the legal requirement of patron:security ratio with the heavy cost of riot police in attendance too.

Edited by JMSTEP123

It's not only security. More stadium staff have to be employed, and there are additional cleaning costs after the match.

IIRC we've opened Level 3 for a regular league match just once - the first David Villa match when the attendance was 15,717.  You actually need to open Level 3 only when the number of season-ticket holders plus the number of walk-ups exceeds the capacity of Levels 1 and 2, but in practice an attendance of 15,000+ will see it open.

Victory have it open with lower attendances but that's only because they have reserved seats up there.

For City at the present time it's a nonsense to consider opening it. With our attendances we're lucky we have all four sides of AAMI Park open.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's not only security. More stadium staff have to be employed, and there are additional cleaning costs after the match.

IIRC we've opened Level 3 for a regular league match just once - the first David Villa match when the attendance was 15,717.  You actually need to open Level 3 only when the number of season-ticket holders plus the number of walk-ups exceeds the capacity of Levels 1 and 2, but in practice an attendance of 15,000+ will see it open.

Victory have it open with lower attendances but that's only because they have reserved seats up there.

For City at the present time it's a nonsense to consider opening it. With our attendances we're lucky we have all four sides of AAMI Park open.

That’s exactly right fill up the lower level first than have this discussion again.

Its easily done by lowering the prices a bit. It is a fine balance between ticket prices, attendance = more people, more food spending can justify lower prices and potentially open up the higher levels

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

That’s exactly right fill up the lower level first than have this discussion again.

Its easily done by lowering the prices a bit. It is a fine balance between ticket prices, attendance = more people, more food spending can justify lower prices and potentially open up the higher levels

I wonder how much reducing ticket costs would boost attendances. 

What we really want is people who committ to coming regularly. The costs of membership are reasonable. One off events are probably in line with NRL and football? Just a guess.

Because of the lower standard of the league (relative to other leagues) should the A League be less to attend? And is yes, would reducing costs improve numbers. It is an interesting thought experiment.

Knowing how many football fans, esp Euro followers who follow many overseas teams, if only we could attract them and give them the same connection they have with their overseas teams. Surely we are all dying for some great football here in Aus and would love to see a league with the same following as is in Europe.

5 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

What we really want is people who committ to coming regularly. The costs of membership are reasonable. One off events are probably in line with NRL and football? Just a guess.

Because of the lower standard of the league (relative to other leagues) should the A League be less to attend? And is yes, would reducing costs improve numbers. It is an interesting thought experiment.

Knowing how many football fans, esp Euro followers who follow many overseas teams, if only we could attract them and give them the same connection they have with their overseas teams. Surely we are all dying for some great football here in Aus and would love to see a league with the same following as is in Europe.

Interesting question. IMO reducing the cost of admission will help attendances, but of itself won't guarantee them. You could make it free, but if the football is dire then people still won't go because even the cost of getting there is discouraging.

The cost of some memberships is reasonable. If you are entitled to a concession, then they are very reasonable, but if you are not then some memberships are getting expensive. Three seasons ago MrsJW and I (neither of us entitled to a concession) were paying $1300 for two adult Premium A (City Gold) memberships in seats where we got wet any time it rained, which is the reason we moved to City Blue, at less than half of what we were paying for Premium A.

I went through the attendances at the first home match of every season.
S1: 11,050
S2: 7,229
S3: 11,007
S4: 8,734
S5: 15,717
S6: 8,408
S7: 8,076
S8: 9,589
S9: 12,086
These numbers, when compared with the averages, suggest to me that we start each season with a degree of enthusiasm, and then for various reasons interest wanes and attendances drop off.

IMO the real driver in all this for City is to have better marquee and visa players (and use the guest player option) so that people are enjoying a better football product. Yes, we could improve a lot of the off-field stuff, and IMO this should be done, but the real driver is the football. It's when the football is dire that the cost of a seat, the colours, the deafening screaming announcer, the half-time "entertainment" the loss of the sausage stand and the all the rest of it become the presenting issues.

52 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

The ticket and memberships prices are too high. People are willing to pay premium if entertainment and quality is there but it isn't, Get the product right first, people will come and then slowly but slowly you can push the prices up if the demand is there. This isn't just City but the whole league.

I might be missing something but if we can get more people through the gates with lower ticket prices and these people all spend a round of beers or food, wouldn't that be on par or even a improved financial scenario?

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Interesting question. IMO reducing the cost of admission will help attendances, but of itself won't guarantee them. You could make it free, but if the football is dire then people still won't go because even the cost of getting there is discouraging.

The cost of some memberships is reasonable. If you are entitled to a concession, then they are very reasonable, but if you are not then some memberships are getting expensive. Three seasons ago MrsJW and I (neither of us entitled to a concession) were paying $1300 for two adult Premium A (City Gold) memberships in seats where we got wet any time it rained, which is the reason we moved to City Blue, at less than half of what we were paying for Premium A.

I went through the attendances at the first home match of every season.
S1: 11,050
S2: 7,229
S3: 11,007
S4: 8,734
S5: 15,717
S6: 8,408
S7: 8,076
S8: 9,589
S9: 12,086
These numbers, when compared with the averages, suggest to me that we start each season with a degree of enthusiasm, and then for various reasons interest wanes and attendances drop off.

IMO the real driver in all this for City is to have better marquee and visa players (and use the guest player option) so that people are enjoying a better football product. Yes, we could improve a lot of the off-field stuff, and IMO this should be done, but the real driver is the football. It's when the football is dire that the cost of a seat, the colours, the deafening screaming announcer, the half-time "entertainment" the loss of the sausage stand and the all the rest of it become the presenting issues.

We mind find the prices reasonable but it's not reasonable enough for the people in town to come to the stadium or convince the other sporting codes to come and have a look.

Edited by Mr MO

9 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Be interesting how next year unfolds. I won’t be shocked if Wazzaball becomes the last straw for many who just feel there is nothing left of their club now.

Might be a long road back to get membership back to pre-Wazza numbers 

In my mind this only be reverted by recruiting some gun visa players, marquee and possible guest player this in combination with some respect to some minor wishes of the rusted fans in regards to club colours and communication - the latter has already improved in the last 2 weeks.

Very interesting times ahead indeed.

FFA Cup final we won was packed out with City fans. We have a vast majority of apathetic supporters who were turned off by Joyce. This was reflected in crowd numbers as well as the minority of faithful who chucked in the towel.

I guarantee the enthusiasm to want to support City is still there. People have just deferred their attendance support because they did not like what Joyce dished up. At a guess I would say most of these people will be back if there are some obvious changes in Melb Citys direction including cultural, recruitment, marquees and, above all, manager. If we signed a BIG NAME manager, or signed 1 or 2 massive names which hinted at football more in line with Man City doctrine this would boost support.

The way I look at it is that we have so much fringe support who want so badly to see Melbourne City take the league seriously, but they wont support until they see the club share the same sentiment and ambition.

For myself I love matchday. I keep going and supporting the boys because I love attending the football and seeing the narrative of the season take shape. Even Joyce did not deter me. It just made my desire to see the club succeed even stronger. For a lot of people it was enough to leave, and I get that too.

• Like 1

The reason to leave for us me and Mrs was the dire boring football being dished up week after week regardless of costs just the totally boring football , after spending my younger years watching football in the UK which while some matches were not so exciting the enthusiasm of the crowds etc made it worth the cost and i am in no way blaming the crowd numbers just the crap football. I am waiting to see who we get for our next manager and then make a decision.

1 hour ago, johnno cpfc said:

The reason to leave for us me and Mrs was the dire boring football being dished up week after week regardless of costs just the totally boring football , after spending my younger years watching football in the UK which while some matches were not so exciting the enthusiasm of the crowds etc made it worth the cost and i am in no way blaming the crowd numbers just the crap football. I am waiting to see who we get for our next manager and then make a decision.

I hope you find good reason to come back and join us mate.

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Not particularly noteworthy but somewhat interesting that we’re running a football clinic with our partner Lotus Living in the heart of WU territory.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/city-and-lotus-living-host-a-free-football-clinic-local-community-jubilee-wyndham-vale

IIRC this is the second time we've been out there.

7 hours ago, Harrison said:

Not particularly noteworthy but somewhat interesting that we’re running a football clinic with our partner Lotus Living in the heart of WU territory.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/city-and-lotus-living-host-a-free-football-clinic-local-community-jubilee-wyndham-vale

This Girl Can with heavy City branding were in the centre of Geelong last Saturday. The club continue to be active on what might be considered WU turf. 

9 hours ago, Harrison said:

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IIRC this is the second time we've been out there.

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

This Girl Can with heavy City branding were in the centre of Geelong last Saturday. The club continue to be active on what might be considered WU turf. 

• Haha 1