Melbourne Football

City v Adelaide - Elimination Final 5th of May 2019

IssySG

On 4/29/2019 at 8:47 PM, citypool said:

It’s amazing that this season has been hell for us but yet we have filled two buses and people say that finals are no good

That's because some people attend games without reading this forum ... and they stick by a club despite the shite times

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1.Mark BIRIGHITTI (gk), 2.Ritchie DE LAET, 3.Scott JAMIESON, 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 8.Riley McGREE, 9.Shayon HARRISON, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 22.Curtis GOOD, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 29.Jamie MACLAREN

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI (returns from injury), 2.Ritchie DE LAET (promoted), 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE (promoted), 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (promoted) 22.Curtis GOOD (promoted), 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER (promoted), 29.Jamie MACLAREN (returns from injury)

Outs: 34.Connor METCALFE (omitted), 40.Majak MAWITH (omitted), 41.Mitchell GRAHAM (omitted), 42.James DELIANOV (omitted), 51.Idrus ABDULAHI (omitted)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

1.Mark BIRIGHITTI (gk), 2.Ritchie DE LAET, 3.Scott JAMIESON, 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 8.Riley McGREE, 9.Shayon HARRISON, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 22.Curtis GOOD, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 29.Jamie MACLAREN

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI (returns from injury), 2.Ritchie DE LAET (promoted), 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE (promoted), 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (promoted) 22.Curtis GOOD (promoted), 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER (promoted), 29.Jamie MACLAREN (returns from injury)

Outs: 34.Connor METCALFE (omitted), 40.Majak MAWITH (omitted), 41.Mitchell GRAHAM (omitted), 42.James DELIANOV (omitted), 51.Idrus ABDULAHI (omitted)

Of fucking course Metcalfe gets omitted.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, haz said:

Of fucking course Metcalfe gets omitted.

20 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Has Joyce seen a different game last week than us? Developing players my ass. 

Did you really think that he would not go back to what he regards as his best match-day squad? There'd be uproar if he didn't. People seem to want it both ways. Last week "it was only Central Coast and they're shit." This is a final, and we do have a chance - however small - of silverware and Asia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Did you really think that he would not go back to what he regards as his best match-day squad? There'd be uproar if he didn't. People seem to want it both ways. Last week "it was only Central Coast and they're shit." This is a final, and we do have a chance - however small - of silverware and Asia.

I didn't expect him to start, But at least be on the bench.

-------------------

Unpopular Opinion: Although he is our top scorer, I think we play better without De Laet.

Edit: Im not saying Metcalfe replaces De Laet

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

No mate, nobody is asking to play the youth for this game,

Metcalf deserved a place on the bench for this game. He can still play with his preferred eleven. If you put Good back in, then you take La Rocca out. It is all very simple JW - you need to start showing some appreciation for your players who perform, what else does metcalf need to do to be in the match squad?

Edited by Mr MO

10 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

No mate, nobody is asking to play the youth for this game,

Metcalf deserved a place on the bench for this game. He can still play with his preferred eleven. If you put Good back in, then you take La Rocca out. It is all very simple JW - you need to start showing some appreciation for your players who perform, what else does metcalf need to do to be in the match squad?

You're making that assessment of Metcalfe based on 75 minutes of match time - assuming you've seen those matches. Joyce is making his assessment on a lot more than that. I'm not saying that he (Joyce) is necessarily right in leaving Metcalfe out, but IMO most managers would do precisely as he has done - select what he believes is the best squad to win this important match.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

select what he believes is the best squad to win

And how is that working out for us?

For years we have been discussing on how poor the squad selection and balance of bench plus sub use is and now you are telling me he suddenly he has shit together for this one? Any other manager would give him a place on the bench, to cover for Baccus. If not we are taking to 2 CB's to Adelaide just to sit on the pine.

Edited by Mr MO

57 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

And how is that working out for us?

For years we have been discussing on how poor the squad selection and balance of bench plus sub use is and now you are telling me he suddenly he has shit together for this one? Any other manager would give him a place on the bench, to cover for Baccus. If not we are taking to 2 CB's to Adelaide just to sit on the pine.

Two are to be omitted so i daresay one of Good or La Rocca is one of those, if not both.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

You're making that assessment of Metcalfe based on 75 minutes of match time - assuming you've seen those matches. Joyce is making his assessment on a lot more than that. I'm not saying that he (Joyce) is necessarily right in leaving Metcalfe out, but IMO most managers would do precisely as he has done - select what he believes is the best squad to win this important match.

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/how-citys-rising-star-metcalfe-slipped-through-jets-net-524512/page0 

an article on metcalfe. kid was from newcastle. He might have more options for game time if he went back there. 

• Like 1

The squad looks really solid. Some good depth up front for a change. Metcalfe maybe stiff to miss out on a bench spot, but Wazza is taking no risks to try and keep his job.

Don't really feel like we deserve finals after the season we had, but still excited for the game and quietly confident.

Recently I think we've been playing a lot more positively despite the mixed results. A lot less passing backwards, more direct balls to our attackers and playing the ball a bit quicker. From my POV anyway. Not saying it's amazing, but it's been better to watch than earlier in the season or even last season.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bellydrum said:

The squad looks really solid. Some good depth up front for a change. Metcalfe maybe stiff to miss out on a bench spot, but Wazza is taking no risks to try and keep his job.

Don't really feel like we deserve finals after the season we had, but still excited for the game and quietly confident.

Recently I think we've been playing a lot more positively despite the mixed results. A lot less passing backwards, more direct balls to our attackers and playing the ball a bit quicker. From my POV anyway. Not saying it's amazing, but it's been better to watch than earlier in the season or even last season.

You’re right. 

The last couple of games have not been the typical Joyce crap. I’m both surprised and confused.

On 03/05/2019 at 10:27 AM, bellydrum said:

I hope we get knocked out. I prefer a long term approach. Why do anything that will help Joyce keep his job when we arnt going to win it anyway.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I hope we get knocked out. I prefer a long term approach. Why do anything that will help Joyce keep his job when we arnt going to win it anyway.

Conflict of interest isn't it? The only problem I have with your argument is that I don't think Joyce is the only problem that we have. IMO there are other roadblocks in the way of us being a truly competitive and successful club on the field, and I don't see these being removed anytime soon, whether Joyce stays or not.

After the season we've had even the possibility that Joyce's tenure might be extended indicates where those roadblocks are.

On the bus and the guy organising it said: "believe it or not the coach (Joyce) rang me up and would like to thank everyone for making the trip up. If we win he may come up half way and clap (to the fans). And for your information he HAS NOT been offered a contract yet". Organiser said we will have about 350 fans in Adelaide.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Tony999 said:

On the bus and the guy organising it said: "believe it or not the coach (Joyce) rang me up and would like to thank everyone for making the trip up. If we win he may come up half way and clap (to the fans). And for your information he HAS NOT been offered a contract yet". Organiser said we will have about 350 fans in Adelaide.

Great commitment there Joycey

• Haha 3