Melbourne Football

R27: City v CCM, Friday 26 April, 7.50pm, AAMI Park

Harrison

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

All credit to Ramy but I did notice that he is loosing oversight a little when on the ball. Yesterday on several occasions he had the opportunity to put McGree and Harrison one on one with the goalkeeper. That would be my only criticism, finding the right balance between going for the pop or putting another player in an easier or better position.

Arzani started with this problem too

Yes, It was pleasing football for the most part and the youngsters did play well...but.... we flogged a team that has won THREE out of 27 games this season.  So Big Effing Deal. 

Joyce will return most of those who appeared on the pitch last night to Bundoora obscurity. 

It was a bizarrely flat atmosphere for such a big win. 

Thousands voted with their feet.  I turned up, as did my son, but we still felt strangely underwhelmed. Had it been against decent opposition, i would be more upbeat.

Joyce is STILL the problem.  We are finishing 5th or 6th with shockingly low crowds and the usual team (not last night's young guns) are still passing sideways and backwards 8 ways through Sunday and the gaffer has still split the players and fans

Sorry.  .  

It was a win over a team where most of their squad would struggle to get a call up in any other side in the A-league, they had nothing to play for, and we were in a position to throw caution to the wind.

5-0 win was what we should have expected.

As for the youth I thought the played well but let's not rate them as high quality A-league players just yet as they have only had limited time against pretty average opposition. They had the luxury of not being pressured on the ball, their mistakes or poor decisions didn't get punished, and with their performances they shouldn't be expecting to put real pressure on the players who regularly play in those positions.

Good signs no doubt, but let's keep perspective and not go overboard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CityWildcat said:

Yes, It was pleasing football for the most part and the youngsters did play well...but.... we flogged a team that has won THREE out of 27 games this season.  So Big Effing Deal. 

One of those 3 games was against us, they were one team we hadn't beaten this season, until last night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A goal to savour, whether against a bottom side or not. How often have we shouted for the players to move the damn ball forward at speed rather than the snoozefest that we've often seen. It's this kind of play that will get the best out of Maclaren.

Young Idrus pretty much starts the move by breaking free of Matty Simon and threading a pass to Wales. Lovely work.

46799901765_fc8fc25b95_h.jpg

A touch by Wales to Idrus running down the line. Nice.

40749753853_0e1199a540_z.jpg

He sees Shay inside and passes to him. Good God, we're running forward. They forgot the script!

46800020805_63ffb0c769_h.jpg

And Shay pokes it to Ramy. Excellent work by both Shay and Ramy who sees the opportunity.

46799902085_f2418528d5_h.jpg

And then the execution. Class.

47663202312_2fafdf6d75_h.jpg

Question: How is it that we can pull off something like this but spend most of the season shackled by cautious, ponderous passing?

Answer: Brattan, Baccus (and Vidosic) were  sitting on the bench when this goal was scored! Baccus and Brattan are midfield handbrakes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Agree, it was wonderful build up play, something that we have been crying out for. I came to the same conclusions as you but didn't say it, as I thought it would have been very unpopular.

Next season will be an important puzzle to work out for the new coach, Brattens loan ends, do we get him back again?

Genreau returns from Holland.

Is Metcalf a better player than Baccus?

McGree will return to Belgium and I honestly hope he finds a gig in Europe for his sake.

Berenguer, Harrison and DeLaet's contracts will expire, do we want any of them back, who would come in and in what positions?

Can we keep Bart?

1 hour ago, HEARTinator said:

A goal to savour, whether against a bottom side or not. How often have we shouted for the players to move the damn ball forward at speed rather than the snoozefest that we've often seen. It's this kind of play that will get the best out of Maclaren.

Young Idrus pretty much starts the move by breaking free of Matty Simon and threading a pass to Wales. Lovely work.

He sees Shay inside and passes to him. Good God, we're running forward. They forgot the script!

And Shay pokes it to Ramy. Excellent work by both Shay and Ramy who sees the opportunity.

Question: How is it that we can pull off something like this but spend most of the season shackled by cautious, ponderous passing?

Answer: Brattan, Baccus (and Vidosic) were  sitting on the bench when this goal was scored! Baccus and Brattan are midfield handbrakes.

Was Joyce yelling at them from the sidelines to stop running with the ball?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, moops said:

Agree, it was wonderful build up play, something that we have been crying out for. I came to the same conclusions as you but didn't say it, as I thought it would have been very unpopular.

Next season will be an important puzzle to work out for the new coach, Brattens loan ends, do we get him back again?

Genreau returns from Holland.

Is Metcalf a better player than Baccus?

McGree will return to Belgium and I honestly hope he finds a gig in Europe for his sake.

Berenguer, Harrison and DeLaet's contracts will expire, do we want any of them back, who would come in and in what positions?

Can we keep Bart?

I think we've decided that Berenguer is here for another year? IMO we can keep Bart if we offer him enough, and probably it would have to be a marquee contract or close to it. Your other questions are more difficult.We don't have much option with Baccus as he's contracted to 31/5/22. Have a look through the contracts and you will see that we could lose a lot of players at the end of the current season. An awful lot depends on whether Joyce goes or not and whether players get other offers - the latter I'm certain will happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

Good summation. It was a pleasure to watch - especially with the young guys class involved.

We do need caution in the midfield - any good team needs a player who can win back the ball, hold up play or recycle the ball for possessions sake. But not 3. This forum was spot on when identifying the reality of having too many similar players (obviously as an indication of building a more conservative and defensive football culture) in the last off season. Playing Baccus, Brattan Griffiths has left us devoid of speed on the counter and to build up play whilst maintaining shape. This goal on Fri night was shapeless, improvised and quick. It broke the rules. How easily could we predict what would have usually happened if that ball had of been picked up in weeks prior... moved to Baccus, back to Schenks, out to RDL. By the time that ball got forward (if at all) the opposition were back in their defensivr shape and forced our hand in another wasted cross from Jamo and co.

I really enjoy watching Baccus - I think he is our best in this role. His number of touches, consistent involvement and reading of the play are all solid. He wins back the ball well, and is always in the thick of it. YES he makes mistakes. This is the A League. He will not be a club legend - his hard work generally goes unnoticed.

I love Bratts but he looks better getting forward and even then he is inconsistent. Griffiths is superflous. We need to rethink our midfield. If it were Baccus playing solely this defensive role with some creativity in our midfield such as that which McGree provided I feel we will be much better placed to 1. Create chances going forward and 2. Mitigate defensive errors that have cost us unnecessary goals against us. 

This coming weekend I would like to see McGree, Baccus and Brattan all get a start and see what we can achieve. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, haz said:

Its the A-League, contracts mean shit.

CFG just need to offer him to an Indian team. They love tall CDMs

Contracts don’t mean much at the moment but that could change in an independent league. Something to keep in mind here.

As @jw1739 says above, it’ll largely depend on the manager situation. Joyce will have an influence on who stays and goes, even if he himself ends up going. 

That needs to be resolved as soon as our season is over so that any new manager can have a big say in player retention and acquisition. 

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

I may be in a minority, but I think away to Adelaide on the back of a 5-0 win is the better of the two options. Either way, I think the odds are against us, but this isn't necessarily the worst outcome. It also sets up the possibility of an all Melbourne final?? 

I think that, if we win that game, we then play Sydney rather than having to travel to Perth

1 minute ago, belaguttman said:

I think that, if we win that game, we then play Sydney rather than having to travel to Perth

Only if we are the higher ranked winner from the elimination finals - if we were to win, we’d only play Sydney if Wellington defeat Victory.

• Like 2