Melbourne Football

R27: City v CCM, Friday 26 April, 7.50pm, AAMI Park

Harrison

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

If they let Metcalfe go (rumoured) then this club is becoming an even bigger joke. Besides the goals, this kid reminds me a lot of Frenkie de Jong..... 

Kind of reminds me of Toni Kroos, just a no fuss calm player who every now and then does something special.

We would be crazy to let him go, but history tells us he will be gone next week.

Edited by moops
  • Thanks 1

What a fantastic match. 

A very good performance across the board from everyone.

I was very impressed with Metcalfe though. He looks like a pro and should be in contention to start. Maybe another 30 minutes off the bench in the EF but Joyce has a selection dilemma after tonight.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Deluka said:

Do we know when Metcalfe is off contract? Be very poor to let him slip away to Perth. Wouldn’t mind seeing him get a lot more game time next year with us.

Not sure. 

He was elevated to the senior squad a few months ago, so he’d be on an A-League contract. 

Just need to extend it.

A strange game, it started with the usual stultifying Joyceball, came to life with Harrison's first goal and then we started playing better as more young players were subbed on.

Positives:

We won, we kept a clean sheet

Delianov, not much to do but clearly, we aren't ever going to play Birighitti, so it's good that he got a senior game.

Youngsters all played well, despite the 'youth' coach, and the more of them that came on the more positivity and movement we had in attack

Great to see Najjarine score, Idris skinned Matt Simon and muscled him off the ball and looked good

Metcalfe should be starting, but, he's not a Spurs player

Joyce gave our young players more than 3 minutes on the pitch

Matt Simon copped a ball to his face.

Negatives:

The first 25 minutes were stultifying and stupifying. It looked like we were heading for 0-0

4905 official crowd, it looked way less than that on TV and sounded way less than that

Too little, too late for supporters, but, probably enough to deny home fans a Melbourne final. Typical City own goal

• Like 1

So glad we went to see this match. Despite the long turgid period in the first half, as Bela has already said, the more youngsters we brought on the better it became. Some cracking goals and lots of enterprising attacking play. These lads should be an integral part of our squad for next season. Our defence didn't really have too much to worry about all evening, but I didn't think much of La Rocca repeatedly putting young Delianov under pressure with back passes . Poor show for a senior player. Nice goal from Vidosic but he looked lost for long periods. Predictable from Baccus and Brattan.

I believe that's our biggest-ever home win. Overall a good evening to round off the regular season. I don't really care who came and who stayed away. Get our youngsters on the park and play like that every week and the crowds will soon come back.

Well done lads.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

So glad we went to see this match. Despite the long turgid period in the first half, as Bela has already said, the more youngsters we brought on the better it became. Some cracking goals and lots of enterprising attacking play. These lads should be an integral part of our squad for next season. Our defence didn't really have too much to worry about all evening, but I didn't think much of La Rocca repeatedly putting young Delianov under pressure with back passes . Poor show for a senior player. Nice goal from Vidosic but he looked lost for long periods. Predictable from Baccus and Brattan.

I believe that's our biggest-ever home win. Overall a good evening to round off the regular season. I don't really care who came and who stayed away. Get our youngsters on the park and play like that every week and the crowds will soon come back.

Well done lads.

Equal biggest. We beat Adelaide 5-0 on 21st January 2018 with a brace from Vidosic, Budzinski and a goal from Ross.

Edited by n i k o

Man, its dire straits at the moment.  Joyce can pull something out of his arse whenever he wants.  we need consistency not a 1 win- 3 loss mentality

really hope the younsters stay with us one more season to be able to show that they can start.  Ive been saying all along, Ramy needs game time, good game time and can do bring the standard up like arzani did.  Give these kids a bloody go!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

Man, its dire straits at the moment.  Joyce can pull something out of his arse whenever he wants.  we need consistency not a 1 win- 3 loss mentality

really hope the younsters stay with us one more season to be able to show that they can start.  Ive been saying all along, Ramy needs game time, good game time and can do bring the standard up like arzani did.  Give these kids a bloody go!

This was the mentality Joyce was hired to fix. He hasn't and so has to go.

10 hours ago, belaguttman said:

A strange game, it started with the usual stultifying Joyceball, came to life with Harrison's first goal and then we started playing better as more young players were subbed on.

Positives:

We won, we kept a clean sheet

Delianov, not much to do but clearly, we aren't ever going to play Birighitti, so it's good that he got a senior game.

Youngsters all played well, despite the 'youth' coach, and the more of them that came on the more positivity and movement we had in attack

Great to see Najjarine score, Idris skinned Matt Simon and muscled him off the ball and looked good

Metcalfe should be starting, but, he's not a Spurs player

Joyce gave our young players more than 3 minutes on the pitch

Matt Simon copped a ball to his face.

Seagulls returned en masse  :up:

Negatives:

The first 25 minutes were stultifying and stupifying. It looked like we were heading for 0-0

4905 official crowd, it looked way less than that on TV and sounded way less than that

Too little, too late for supporters, but, probably enough to deny home fans a Melbourne final. Typical City own goal

Edited by HEARTinator

2 hours ago, moops said:

Hopefully not here, not good enough as a foreign player, all one foot.

Probably a league 1 team.

Disagree. He's definitely good enough and with the right deal I'd welcome him next season. But not at the expense of the overall balance and budget. There are a lot of options and moving parts there. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Disagree. He's definitely good enough and with the right deal I'd welcome him next season. But not at the expense of the overall balance and budget. There are a lot of options and moving parts there. 

I think we saw last night - albeit against cellar-dweller Central Coast - that we don't need to pay expensive players to do a job that can be more than adequately done by less-expensive ones. 

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think we saw last night - albeit against cellar-dweller Central Coast - that we don't need to pay expensive players to do a job that can be more than adequately done by less-expensive ones. 

I think we saw last night that we don't need a foreign player, when we have some talented youth. If we bring in a foreigner he needs to be better and above.

Thinking Castro, Honda, Toivanen, Le Fondra, Ninkovic and of course Bart.

Edited by moops
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, moops said:

I think we saw last night that we don't need a foreign player, when we have some talented youth. If we bring in a foreigner he needs to be better and above.

Thinking Castro, Honda, Toivanen, Le Fondra, Ninkovic and of course Bart.

The best way to blood youth is to surround them with quality, mature players. That way, they can be given a specific role and protected somewhat throughout the match. 

Playing a bunch of youth at once is a recipe for disaster. It needs to be structured so that we continue to get results whilst giving them minutes. 

Perfect example last night. Start off with one kid (Delianov) on the pitch and let him settle. Then bring on the others gradually with the game entirely in our control. It helps when we come up against a truly awful CCM.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

anyone get to go to the post match event?
pissed off I only missed one game cause I didn't want to get to work several hours late 

Yes! I was in the guard of honour and also went post game ... post game was great, got to smash in some goals and kick around with the City volunteers and a few City Players (Bachus drilled in a ball to my 6 year old, who amazingly controlled it). My daughter and wife won about $200 worth of quality merchandise (including an awesome pollo top).

Had a chat with most the players ... Shayon said he wants to stay (took that with a grain of salt). Metcalfe is a really nice kid as well.

Joked with Bart about how much he loves playing against Simon ... he’s response was “Yeah, he likes to play footy!”

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Harrison said:

The best way to blood youth is to surround them with quality, mature players. That way, they can be given a specific role and protected somewhat throughout the match. 

Playing a bunch of youth at once is a recipe for disaster. It needs to be structured so that we continue to get results whilst giving them minutes. 

Perfect example last night. Start off with one kid (Delianov) on the pitch and let him settle. Then bring on the others gradually with the game entirely in our control. It helps when we come up against a truly awful CCM.

I'm not disputing that and I don't want us to become the central coast mariners.

There's always a but with a post like this, Wazza has introduced a youth player in a game and he is not seen again for months, even with players performing poorly, we are on a poor run, or have suspended or injured players, he is reluctant to get any settled or even give them playing time.

I agree that a mix of maturity and youth is ideal, but at the moment we are seeing more youth leave than getting playing time.

You could argue he has given time to Atkinson and Wales, but at their age they should be established players, I don't classify them as youth, young yes.

Edited by moops
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, moops said:

I'm not disputing that and I don't want us to become the central coast mariners.

There's always a but with a post like this, Wazza has introduced a youth player in a game and he is not seen again for months, even with players performing poorly, we are on a poor run, or have suspended or injured players, he is reluctant to get any settled or even give them playing time.

I agree that a mix of maturity and youth is ideal, but at the moment we are seeing more youth leave than getting playing time.

You could argue he has given time to Atkinson and Wales, but at their age they should be established players, I don't classify them as youth, young yes.

Perhaps players moving on out from the academy is an indicator of success?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moops said:

With the Academy set up we are always going to have a supply of young players coming through. Perhaps not always a crop containing players of the quality of Najjarine and Metcalfe, but there will always be a supply. IMO therefore the focus of recruiting should be on getting the spine of our starting XI right with quality players of the Schenkeveld type, the bulk of the cap on the top 11-14 players, and the supporting players from the Academy resource.

IMO this is what the fans want. Just as the crowd lifted every time Arzani got near the ball last season, so it did last night when Najjarine was put though for his goal. I think the last thing we want is a squad with recycled A-League journeymen players.

It's inevitable that the Academy system is going to produce more players than an individual club can accommodate, and in City's case that the very best will probably be siphoned off by Manchester, but if we want the game to grow at the top level that's the way we have to go. 

3 hours ago, JMSTEP123 said:

This game was too attacking, too many goals and terrible to end up with such a large margin come end of game. Joyce needs to fix this.

I’m sure he will do this by bringing his youth academy players back - Berenguer, De Leat, Good and Griffiths.

• Haha 1

Glad I went last night, despite almost not doing so. My random reflections:

- Shay is not the finished article, but he is a very talented player. If he was one of ours we'd be raving about him. He deserves his place on merit, and if he wants to stay, and we can find a deal that works, I'd be delighted. He could become a genuine hero. 

- Metcalf is a another excellent young player. He should be part of our future. 

- Delighted to see Ramy score his first, and that was clearly shared by his team mates. Another one who is knocking on regular first team starts IMHO. 

- Idris looks as good as people have suggested. He's ready to start getting first team time next season. 

- This has been a miserable season. But it's not because we don't have the players. 

- Simon is vile. 

All credit to Ramy but I did notice that he is loosing oversight a little when on the ball. Yesterday on several occasions he had the opportunity to put McGree and Harrison one on one with the goalkeeper. That would be my only criticism, finding the right balance between going for the pop or putting another player in an easier or better position.