Melbourne Football

We need Mark Rudan

CityWildcat

41 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

Get rid of Joyce. I want this guy as our coach for next season.  Can I get a witness? Pretty sad press conference an hour or two ago

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12223296

Reads as though his wife told him under no circumstances would she move to Wellington. He might have the same problem even coming to Melbourne.

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Reads as though his wife told him under no circumstances would she move to Wellington. He might have the same problem even coming to Melbourne.

I'd imagine that she'd want to keep an eye on him after the Mel McLaughlin incident. That cost him his job with Foxtel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzOranje said:

If we don’t pay for a proven manager from a decent league, then I think we should give PK a go. Any option would be better than keeping WJ. 

Well if we don’t get a proven manager then we will need to resort to an unproven manager like Kisnorbo, which in my opinion would be a debacle. 

Kisnorbo might be the next Pep but we should be going for a proven, experienced manager with a tactical brain. 

Anything less and we are not serious about success.

I think Harry Kewell would be interesting. 

We are kidding ourselves if we think we can get a "proven manager"  maybe at A League level, but really we can only look at may be a bloke that was decent in his day but can get a job any longer or some up and comer.

Either way we are pretty much looking at more of the same (coaching appointments) unless we get lucky. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Well if we don’t get a proven manager then we will need to resort to an unproven manager like Kisnorbo, which in my opinion would be a debacle. 

Kisnorbo might be the next Pep but we should be going for a proven, experienced manager with a tactical brain. 

Anything less and we are not serious about success.

But by all accounts we are not serious about success. I would also suggest profiting off managers and staff are another part of CFGs outcomes. Maybe training Kisnorbo up is in line with these outcomes.

Still I dont want it. A proven A League manager is the difference that makes a difference. Look at Glory this season - sensational appointment by them. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

But by all accounts we are not serious about success. I would also suggest profiting off managers and staff are another part of CFGs outcomes. Maybe training Kisnorbo up is in line with these outcomes.

Still I dont want it. A proven A League manager is the difference that makes a difference. Look at Glory this season - sensational appointment by them. 

I think we have to ask ourselves - who would be prepared to come to Melbourne City as manager, knowing (or guessing) how much is mandated from Manchester? All this shit about brand and having Marwood and Pearce looking over your shoulder every minute? Guys like Popovic and Rudan have had success because they've been able to go in and change things.

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think we have to ask ourselves - who would be prepared to come to Melbourne City as manager, knowing (or guessing) how much is mandated from Manchester? All this shit about brand and having Marwood and Pearce looking over your shoulder every minute? Guys like Popovic and Rudan have had success because they've been able to go in and change things.

Pertinent point about autonomy. Surely having ambition would want you on the same team as Pep G. Though the systemic issues may make other avenues more appealing. Sure is an interesting dilemma and not too distant from the same one players face wanting to come to City.

15 minutes ago, OzOranje said:

I don’t think Rudan or Poppa were experienced coaches prior to Wellington and WSW. 

Also, if CFG dictate the onfield strategy and team selection, why is there such a difference between what we see under Joyce compared to JVS?

No there weren’t, experience isn’t always a priority. There are plenty successful younger coaches.

Coaches can go a long way if they are willing to adapt, flexibility strategies, good player management and most importantly not being an absolutely muppet and a dickhead. Our coach has none of these.

I can’t stand this bloke anymore, he’s got to go.

1 hour ago, OzOranje said:

I don’t think Rudan or Poppa were experienced coaches prior to Wellington and WSW. 

Also, if CFG dictate the onfield strategy and team selection, why is there such a difference between what we see under Joyce compared to JVS?

I wouldn't call them experienced, but neither were they completely inexperienced.

My feeling is that since the takeover CFG's stranglehold on Melbourne City has tightened. CFG have talked openly about "return on investment." Our squad  is below the standard it was in the first couple of seasons of their ownership. I don't think they dictate onfield strategy or team selection per se but if you don't have a quality squad in the first place then there's not a lot you can do.

The main difference I think is that JvS had better man-management skills than Joyce will ever have. He wasn't perfect by any means but he was a lot better than Joyce.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I wouldn't call them experienced, but neither were they completely inexperienced.

My feeling is that since the takeover CFG's stranglehold on Melbourne City has tightened. CFG have talked openly about "return on investment." Our squad  is below the standard it was in the first couple of seasons of their ownership. I don't think they dictate onfield strategy or team selection per se but if you don't have a quality squad in the first place then there's not a lot you can do.

The main difference I think is that JvS had better man-management skills than Joyce will ever have. He wasn't perfect by any means but he was a lot better than Joyce.

I’m a JVS fan, probably biased though

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't have any issues with ROI as long as they know (and maybe tell us) how that is being measured. I am in two minds as to whether our squad is below the standard of the first two seasons under CFG ownership - one I actually think the club has some decent players but the squad is unbalanced due to the number of defenders in the squad. The squad appears pedestrian only because the coaching is below standard. And the more local park football I watch the more I am convinced that Wazza would struggle at any level.

As far as ROI is concerned I doubt it is measured by a single metric. But falling crowds, less media coverage, mediocre results, foreign clubs being linked to our youth players would indicate that the ROI will not be met monetary wise. Silverware will only come if the five clubs above us are all involved in a bus crash and the league becomes a five club competition.

Finally, Poppa and Rudan were assistant coaches but what differentiates the next level is the ability to extract the best out of people whilst implementing a game plan that suits. Wazza has shown that he cannot think tactically during the match nor during training.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Wazza has shown that he cannot think tactically during the match nor during training.

Because he is a youth (development) coach and not a senior team manager.

He just thinks that if he can get the team to a point where they can run up and down the pitch for 90 minutes and if all the sports science garbage is up to scratch then the team will be successful.

It may work with under 18s but that will not work with players in the prime of their careers that have already proven their worth in the league, hence the failure

53 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Because he is a youth (development) coach and not a senior team manager.

He just thinks that if he can get the team to a point where they can run up and down the pitch for 90 minutes and if all the sports science garbage is up to scratch then the team will be successful.

It may work with under 18s but that will not work with players in the prime of their careers that have already proven their worth in the league, hence the failure

I don't buy this fitness shit either. In the home matches this season - I've been to them all - I haven't seen anything to suggest that City players are measurable fitter than any of the other teams. In fact on several occasions we've been the team hanging on at the end.

Joyce demands commitment. That works with young players because they want to go as far as they can. Senior players in the A-League know that this league is as far as they are likely to go. They know their own bodies, they know that they are fit, and they just don't respond to Sergeant-Major Joyce's methods.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

My cat has better man management skills than Warren Joyce!

Commence Rant:

Honestly what really pisses me off is that with 30 years managing people from a vast array of cultures and walks of life I’ve got a pretty good handle on it and to see this cunt take what should be a minor issue and turn it into “oh you’re  out the fucking door” does my head in.

yet somehow his incompetence seems to be regarded by some as a strength! For fucks sake. Good man management is about getting the best out of your people, any cunt can tell people to fuck off.

Rant Over.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Shahanga said:

My cat has better man management skills than Warren Joyce!

Commence Rant:

Honestly what really pisses me off is that with 30 years managing people from a vast array of cultures and walks of life I’ve got a pretty good handle on it and to see this cunt take what should be a minor issue and turn it into “oh you’re  out the fucking door” does my head in.

yet somehow his incompetence seems to be regarded by some as a strength! For fucks sake. Good man management is about getting the best out of your people, any cunt can tell people to fuck off.

Rant Over.

I don't see that as a rant at all. When you look at our two seasons under Joyce it has been complete lunacy to dispense with players such as Kilkenny and Fornaroli, and the results show it. We have been so far off the premiership pace in both seasons. I don't care what these players said or did, didn't say or didn't do - whatever happened should have been managed so that it did not compromise results on the field. And if Joyce couldn't do that then those above him should have stepped in immediately to make it happen. In any organization there are characters and non-conformists, and the skill of the manager is to harness them so that they are working to the benefit of the organization and not counter to it. As you say, firing someone just because they dare to question you is a sign of weakness, not strength.

Joyce should have been moved on months ago, and serious consideration also given to those above him. The possibility that his contract might be extended is worrying in the extreme.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Going to be interesting the fall out of Rudan not personally fronting the press conference  after losing 7-0. 
I can imagine there will be some very annoyed fans in Western Sydney (even though in those situations coaches don’t say much worth listening to, just a series of cliches, but it’s still expected).