Melbourne Football

RD 26. V Welly Away Sun 21st Apr 5pm (AEST)

Dylan

3 minutes ago, playmaker said:

We should have killed the game off if JMac and Harrison did their jobs.

They were fed with quality balls all night.

They are both shit.

I'm not going to call Maclaren shit, but I've said from the start that he's not of marquee standard. He doesn't have the height to be a real threat in the air, and he doesn't have the lower body strength (as Bruno had) to hold the ball up and feed it to a teammate. We now have him for the next three seasons occupying a marquee space that he doesn't deserve.

Unfortunately, I think we have ended up on the ladder in just the position that we deserve. We are simply not good enough when the pressure is on. We have had that problem right from the start, and Joyce has not managed to change that. I can only hope that tonight's result will be the final nail in his coffin. He's had every chance, and has not delivered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A well-deserved result. 

Positives:

We scored

Good game from McGee played in his best position 

Surely Joyce is gone now

Negatives:

The result

Dominate possession, but with no creativity, a predictable and ponderous attack that commits too few players forward and a high defensive line, we looked like we could concede with every single Nix attack

MacLaren wasted in a game plan where he's marginalised

de Laet wasted at CB

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

so Najjarine ahead wales????? wales would have been way more threatening if we had swithched harrison to  the left to run at their inexperienced RB - and lachie with fresh legs to threaten their tired LB. seems straight forward to me. and i know nothing tactically, really. i agree that Maclaren is not marquee worthy, but if you cross a ball into someone who is 5'7...... make it on the ground. Also get Atkinson off. Brattan needs to be on the ball higher up the park to continue to create opportunity. 

14 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Maclaren’s record is 56 from 98. 

I think some of you are too hard to please. That record hasn’t been beaten by too many players.

As with most things in football, it’s the way you play. We’ve got a gun striker...let’s use him properly. 

... like we did with our marquee striker

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not going to call Maclaren shit, but I've said from the start that he's not of marquee standard. He doesn't have the height to be a real threat in the air, and he doesn't have the lower body strength (as Bruno had) to hold the ball up and feed it to a teammate. We now have him for the next three seasons occupying a marquee space that he doesn't deserve.

100% said it many times but people keep crapping on about his goal ratio (in Australia), decent player but not marquee type who can bring your team forward. Saying that, is this really confirmed he marquee? 

18 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Maclaren’s record is 56 from 98. 

I think some of you are too hard to please. That record hasn’t been beaten by too many players.

As with most things in football, it’s the way you play. We’ve got a gun striker...let’s use him properly. 

Here we go his goal ratio, he failed to score in the lower leagues of Europe hence why he is back.

Maybe watch the game again, plenty of opportunities for him good changes and poacher changes. He turned to his wrong leg multiple times too.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr MO said:

100% said it many times but people keep crapping on about his goal ratio (in Australia), decent player but not marquee type who can bring your team forward. Saying that, is this really confirmed he marquee? 

That's what we understand - he will be a marquee for next season.

Any, season almost over. No use crying over spilled milk. Let's just hope that we're going to say goodbye to Joyce sooner rather than later.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That's what we understand - he will be a marquee for next season.

Any, season almost over. No use crying over spilled milk. Let's just hope that we're going to say goodbye to Joyce sooner rather than later.

Jamie will be very useful but FFS we need better players around him, Marquee money for a winger or a 10 please.

If the rumours are true that we might up with Bart and Jamie as marquees.

I actually liked how Baccus come on, full of energy and much better forward play than old hack Royston.

Edited by Mr MO

10 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Here we go his goal ratio, he failed to score in the lower leagues of Europe hence why he is back.

Maybe watch the game again, plenty of opportunities for him good changes and poacher changes. He turned to his wrong leg multiple times too.

I saw the match. 

He had a poor game. 

His record is still exceptional. And that reflects his ability. 

If we put a decent midfield behind him and good wingers next to him he’d be unstoppable. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I saw the match. 

He had a poor game. 

His record is still exceptional. And that reflects his ability. 

If we put a decent midfield behind him and good wingers next to him he’d be unstoppable. 

Exactly, that midfield or surrounding forwards need to be marquee level to feed the Mac. Here is why might defer in opinions - a marquee player shouldn't rely too much on the players around him, he makes these players play better (Honda, Ninkovic, Castro etc....). In Jamie's case being a marquee, he requires somebody from a higher level to feed him quality balls.

I would be very worried having only Jamie and another defender as a marquee, second half of the season shows exactly why.

Edited by Mr MO

JMac and Harrison had more than enough quality balls given to them to score.

No excuses, they were both crap.

Florin, RoboCop, Mcgree and Brattan gave more than enough service after either beating opposition players, drawing players to create space or both.

We lost because our scorers didn't score and not because of Joyce Ball.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Exactly, that midfield or surrounding forwards need to be marquee level to feed the Mac. Here is why might defer in opinions - a marquee player shouldn't rely too much on the players around him, he makes these players play better (Honda, Ninkovic, Castro etc....). In Jamie's case being a marquee, he requires somebody from a higher level to feed him quality balls.

I would be very worried having only Jamie and another defender as a marquee, second half of the season shows exactly why.

Nicely put. That's my main point. It should be the marquee player who makes the difference. Not the other way around.

It's interesting that in his high-scoring days with Brisbane, Aloisi was his manager, and Thomas Broich was one of Brisbane's two marquee players.