Melbourne Football

RD 26. V Welly Away Sun 21st Apr 5pm (AEST)

Dylan

So here is the situation.

Adelaide have Victory Home Then Brisbane Away. Game Against Victory is tough as Victory can still get into second. 

Wellington Us at home then Perth Away. Peth have already won the plate

We Have Wellington Away CCM Home.  We havent beaten CCM this year.

4th Adelaide 38 pts GD 2

5th Wellington 37 pts GD 7

6th City 37 points GD 3

Edited by Dylan

26 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Adelaide have Victory Home Then Brisbane Away. Game Against Victory is tough as Victory can still get into second. 

4th Adelaide 38 pts GD 2

6th City 37 points GD 3

To be fair we deserve about 7th so 6th place seems fitting. Even by some miracle we progress to the GF we are undeserving.

Wellington have hit a bit of a form slump away. Rudan departure news confirmed too. Leaves them vunreable.

Still its a long way over the ditch and they have terrific potential. Furthermore, our attack is nothing special so all in all I would think this is looking like a 1-1

Edited by JMSTEP123

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

4th Adelaide 38 pts GD 2

6th City 37 points GD 3

@Dylan Let's make it clear that the match is scheduled to kick-off at 5.00 p.m. Australian Eastern Standard time.

IMO much will depend on whether Schenkeveld returns to stabilise the centre of defence. Also, no doubt in my mind that Rudan will aim to take Wellington to a home final, and that he will go for goals. Joyce's seemingly standard approach of trying not to lose the match in the first 70 minutes or so and then perhaps win it in the last 20 will not suffice if we have any genuine pretensions to a 4th place finish. We had close to zero creative outcomes from our midfield against Adelaide and we're going to have to do a lot better this time around. I'd like to see Najjarine or Metcalfe start the match, and depending on how it goes, the other to be his substitute.

Overall the final two matches look to me to be about even for the three contenders. I can't see Perth or Victory "resting" players - well, I hope I can't see that.

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

4th Adelaide 38 pts GD 2

6th City 37 points GD 3

Warren Joyce certainly doesn't deserve 4th place.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Najjarine be given a start. De Laet should move to either LB or RB depending on Schenkeveld. 

We really do need to fix our midfield. BGB isn’t attacking enough and it’s too same-same. Metcalfe, Berenguer, McGree and Vidosic should be given minutes to change the dynamic and give us a bit of drive. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Harrison said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Najjarine be given a start. De Laet should move to either LB or RB depending on Schenkeveld. 

We really do need to fix our midfield. BGB isn’t attacking enough and it’s too same-same. Metcalfe, Berenguer, McGree and Vidosic should be given minutes to change the dynamic and give us a bit of drive. 

Naj is Class

6 hours ago, Harrison said:

Although it would be nice to actually beat the odds and win the Championship, I'm really just as interested in seeing us do enough with players such as Metcalfe and Najjarine to keep them at the club and form part of the team next season so that we might, under someone other than Joyce, play some decent entertaining football instead of bat-shit boring Joyce-ball, and change the atmosphere at AAMI from funereal to exciting. We've already seen Pierias, Lesiotis and Cavallo depart, and if we don't sign some of our promising young players to senior contracts they will join the exodus, to be replaced by the usual Petrillo-style signings of ageing journeymen players just going through the motions for another season.

• Like 4

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI (gk), 2.Ritchie DE LAET, 3.Scott JAMIESON, 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Riley McGREE, 9.Shayon HARRISON, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 22.Curtis GOOD, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 29.Jamie MACLAREN, 34. Connor METCALFE

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 3.Scott JAMIESON (returns from injury), 5.Bart SCHENKVELD (returns from injury)

Outs: nil

Unavailable: 30.Moudi NAJJAR (ankle)

44 minutes ago, Harrison said:

No Vidosic or La Rocca. 

I’m not sure whether they’re injured or just being left out of the squad. 

IMO fringe players no longer required. I'd rather see youth than this sort of player. Bye-bye at the end of the season.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

IMO fringe players no longer required. I'd rather see youth than this sort of player. Bye-bye at the end of the season.

Agree. 

I know Vidosic has an option on a third year, so hopefully that isn’t triggered. 

La Rocca has done his job but for that 4th spot, we might as well throw Portelli or Graham in there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Agree. 

I know Vidosic has an option on a third year, so hopefully that isn’t triggered. 

La Rocca has done his job but for that 4th spot, we might as well throw Portelli or Graham in there.

I hope not too. But if Dario goes, doesn't Rado throw a tanty and leave as well?

Collectively I see these fringe journeyman A-League players as contributing not very much and I guess that they aren't on the minimum wage either. We pour a lot of money into an Academy  and I think that's where we should source the additional players for the seniors. They at least have a chance of improving. They're willing to try things out and provide a bit of excitement for us.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I hope not too. But if Dario goes, doesn't Rado throw a tanty and leave as well?

Collectively I see these fringe journeyman A-League players as contributing not very much and I guess that they aren't on the minimum wage either. We pour a lot of money into an Academy  and I think that's where we should source the additional players for the seniors. They at least have a chance of improving. They're willing to try things out and provide a bit of excitement for us.

Personally I'd offer Dario a new contract as long as it was sub 100k. I think he's useful, and versatile enough to have as a squaddie that can cover any position in the front four if injuries strike.
That's probably a 150k paycut though, so whether or not he'd accept it is another thing entirely.

For me I'd like to see us stock up on 7-8 guns, then fill the rest of the squad with talented youth, peppered with a couple of cheapish squaddies.
I reckon the uncertainty around what the cap is going to do next season might be playing a part in contract negotiations too fwiw.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, haz said:

FFA licking their lips

IMO in any other season a final between the two Melbourne sides would be a blockbuster. This season, I'm not so sure. I think a lot of City fans are exhausted  by all that has happened this season and just want it to end.

39 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

It would be interesting if we could continue this extraordinary run. 

I'm not sure 10 wins, possibly 12 from 27 matches is extraordinary, a few other adjectives come to mind when describing our run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Also worth noting on his resume, City coach with the highest and lowest finish.

Redundant statistic. In both cases some 20 points behind the Premier.

2015-16 was our best season. Although 4th were were only 5 points behind the Premier. And of course we followed it up in November 2016 with our FFA Cup win.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1