Melbourne Football

R25, City v Adelaide, Saturday 13th April 5.35pm, Lucky you're at AAMI

fensaddler

So interest is so high that none of the usual suspects want to start a thread on this one...

Strangely, and almost impossibly given our terrible season, our fate remains in our own hands.  The Adelaide-Wellington result last night, and our fixtures, mean that if we win our last three, fourth place is ours. Big IF. Also intriguing that Nix have to go to Perth last match of the season, and Adelaide have to play Victory in R26, albeit at home for them. It's the hope that kills us. So, thoughts?

Edited by fensaddler
Correcting my fixtures - thank you jw.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

So interest is so high that none of the usual suspects want to start a thread on this one...

Strangely, and almost impossibly given our terrible season, our fate remains in our own hands.  The Adelaide-Wellington result last night, and our fixtures, mean that if we win our last three, fourth place is ours. Big IF. Also intriguing that Nix have to go to Perth last match of the season, and Adelaide have to play Sydney (R26?). It's the hope that kills us. So, thoughts?

We just have to keep winning match by match. IMO it's hard to forecast how the table will finish up.

According to the A-League website: 
Adelaide play City away, Victory at home, and Brisbane away;
Wellington play Brisbane away, City at home and Perth away;
Newcastle play Perth away, Brisbane away and Sydney at home.

I think we'll have a very poor crowd on Saturday what with all the PT disruptions. I've booked parking opposite the ground because it's just too hard to get home afterwards by the replacement buses.

I am just looking for a follow up to last week - if we lose that intensity and play without intent it will be such a shame.

Having said that... Watford made me the happiest supporter lastnight and I think I threw my shoulder out celebrating. Made me remember why I love football. Eager as fuck to see the game - just want a good contest. If we lose, at least I will still be on this Watford high.

3 hours ago, citypool said:

Does anyone know how to get to this game from Ormond? With the trains being down 

@citypool As suggested, Uber. Or if you have a car and want to drive yourself you can pre-book parking across Swan Street from the ground for $20.

There will be buses replacing trains, but I found it difficult to find just exactly where they will stop. Somewhere in Punt Road. The problem with the replacement buses is getting home again afterwards rather than getting to the match, because they don't have enough buses going to any particular destination.

With 3 of us going together, the $20 to park is OK. Can you find someone to share-ride with you?

10 minutes ago, OzOranje said:

Even though we’ve been pretty poor and inconsistent this year, our home record is okay. 

City 4

Adelaide 0

Jmac brace, Shay and Florin 1 each

Where do you get all this positivity? I’m shit scared of every game to be honest :lol:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As much as the A-league is dull as faq and our boring style makes it worse, lets all make an effort to come and bring someone along (or force them to come) and get behind our boys.

I believe another free family pass with any Macca's meal?

Edited by Tony999
  • Thanks 1

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI (gk), 2.Ritchie DE LAET, 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Riley McGREE, 9.Shayon HARRISON, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 22.Curtis GOOD, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 29.Jamie MACLAREN

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 10.Dario VIDOSIC (promoted), 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA (returns from injury)

Outs: nil

Unavailable: 3.Scott JAMIESON (toe), 30.Moudi NAJJAR (ankle)

Edited by Harrison

6 hours ago, Harrison said:

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI (gk), 2.Ritchie DE LAET, 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Riley McGREE, 9.Shayon HARRISON, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 22.Curtis GOOD, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 29.Jamie MACLAREN

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 10.Dario VIDOSIC (promoted), 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA (returns from injury)

Outs: nil

Unavailable: 3.Scott JAMIESON (toe), 30.Moudi NAJJAR (ankle)

Metcalfe has disappeared. 

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Both of whom are out of contract at the end of this season. Neither of whom has shown anything to justify being retained.

It doesn’t make any sense....just give some young guys an opportunity.

Warren, the only thing you are supposedly good at is working with youth players and now you are neglecting those duties as well.

• Sad 1

Yet another player injured in training. Perhaps Bart has become bruised from a skinfold pinch test?

City strike force has improvement to come: Joyce

Michael LynchApril 12, 2019 — 3.19pm

Dangerous: City's Jamie Maclaren.

Dangerous: City's Jamie Maclaren.AAP

Melbourne City goes into its high-stakes meeting with Adelaide United with a fitness cloud hanging over key central defender Bart Schenkeveld.

The Dutchman, who has played a crucial role in ensuring that City has one of the best defensive records in the league, suffered a strain after training and will be monitored right up to kick-off at AAMI Park on Saturday evening.

Still, Joyce believes that with his strike force of Jamie Maclaren and Shay Harrison developing a greater understanding, City is yet to hit its peak.

"There's more to come really from those combinations. There's been signs [of a deeper understanding]," Joyce said.

"It's just building up relationships. Everyone is on the same wavelength.

"It's the hardest thing to do, score goals, and it's intuition, there's a feel, real understanding, when you have got eye contact and you are looking at somebody and they make that run and the ball comes at exactly the right place at the right time, that's what those relationships can do. But they take time to build up.

"You see more signs in training and you want it to continue in the games."

This match, along with the following weekend's clash with Phoenix in Wellington, could make or break City's finals aspirations.

The team currently sits sixth on the table, one point behind Wellington and Adelaide (fourth and fifth respectively), with the New Zealand side having a far superior goal difference.

If Joyce's side is to achieve its aim of a fourth-place finish, and with it a guaranteed home final, they will likely have to take four points out of those two games and then finish with a win at home against cellar dwellers Central Coast.

Related Article

Melbourne Victory captain Carl Valeri will retire after the A-League season.

Joyce, in typical fashion, did not want to speculate on whether the result against the Reds would have any impact should should they meet again in the finals.

City have an excellent recent record against Adelaide, winning four and drawing two in their last six encounters, but the Joyce says the team has changed so much since the earlier rounds of the season that such analysis has little bearing on what might occur on Saturday.

"The front three are different for a start," he said, alluding to the fact that Michael O'Halloran (now back in Scotland), Bruno Fornaroli (now at Perth Glory) and Florin Berenguer were the preferred options then.

Now it is Shay Harrison and Jamie Maclaren alongside the fit-again Frenchman Berengeuer.

"Even the midfield combination that's been there for a while now, thats more settled. The front three is completely different

"They've not played loads of games together with Florin having a couple of injuries.

"It's still developing, still looking to get better even though it's late in the season."

City bounced back from a poor 3-0 loss to Western Sydney to demolish Brisbane Roar 4-1 last weekend. Joyce is unlikely to make any changes to that line-up – save for illness or if Schenkeveld is unfit.

That means that talented youngsters Lachlan Wales, Riley McGree and Nathaniel Atkinson – all of whom lost their spots while away on Olyroos duty – are likely to start on the bench again.

"The guys that have come back from the under 23s have done well this season and they're desperate for a chance," Joyce said.

"They've found themselves frustratingly out of the team but it's a team of men as well that's in front of them and there's good competition for places.

"We played well last week. They're fighting for places and for the right to play. The lads understand that."

Michael Lynch

Michael Lynch is The Age's chief soccer reporter and also reports on motor sport and horseracing

Edited by belaguttman